Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If Chevy was smart/evil, they'd tack on a $500 option for a spare+jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My guess is that they aren't comfortable with what a doughnut spare could potentially do to the drivetrain and there just isn't room for a full sized spare. It also might have implications for EPA fuel economy certification.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

bull3964 posted:

My guess is that they aren't comfortable with what a doughnut spare could potentially do to the drivetrain and there just isn't room for a full sized spare. It also might have implications for EPA fuel economy certification.

I have to think there is some kind of regulatory hurdle involved, because a lot of otherwise identical cars come with a spare in other markets outside the US but not in the US.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Throatwarbler posted:

I have to think there is some kind of regulatory hurdle involved, because a lot of otherwise identical cars come with a spare in other markets outside the US but not in the US.
That might be a regulatory issue the other way - maybe other countries *require* selling with a spare, but they can save $50 in the US by not doing it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Godholio posted:

If Chevy was smart/evil, they'd tack on a $500 option for a spare+jack.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat

roomforthetuna posted:

That might be a regulatory issue the other way - maybe other countries *require* selling with a spare, but they can save $50 in the US by not doing it.

In a first generation, there's no real place to put it, unless you do it like a van from the 80s.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 14, 2017

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yay, rim not damaged. Annoyingly, no one in town has that size tire in stock. Won't have it until Tuesday/Wednesday.

Bonus Friday the 13th problem: When I got home after having the car towed that night, I walked into a cold house. The compressor on my central heat pump stopped working. Fan runs, but compressor doesn't start.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 16, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

stevewm posted:

Yay, rim not damaged. Annoyingly, no one in town has that size tire in stock. Won't have it until Tuesday/Wednesday.

Bonus Friday the 13th problem: When I got home after having the car towed that night, I walked into a cold house. The compressor on my central heat pump stopped working. Fan runs, but compressor doesn't start.

A series of unfortunate events. I think a doughnut spare is fine on the rear if it has the capacity to hold up the heavy rear end car. I have not gotten a flat tire in 6 years knock on wood simulated sticker on ma classy car. You can probably find a set of 4 sonic wheels on craigslist for $200.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

A series of unfortunate events. I think a doughnut spare is fine on the rear if it has the capacity to hold up the heavy rear end car. I have not gotten a flat tire in 6 years knock on wood simulated sticker on ma classy car. You can probably find a set of 4 sonic wheels on craigslist for $200.

Yeah, I've went 7 years without a flat on 2 different cars. Get a new car that doesn't have a spare; bam! flat tire.

I also just discovered the spare tire in my old car is actually flat. :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Out test driving a Volt on a whim. First one had three miles of electric on it left :v:. Guess salespeople aren't very aware on electrics yet.

(ed) nor did the second one, lmao. Bloody dealerships.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 16, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Out test driving a Volt on a whim. First one had three miles of electric on it left :v:. Guess salespeople aren't very aware on electrics yet.

Glad to see this hasn't changed from when I was trying to test drive a Leaf. Seems most dealers still don't get that an EV (or even PHEV, apparently) should actually be plugged in once in a while.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Glad to see this hasn't changed from when I was trying to test drive a Leaf. Seems most dealers still don't get that an EV (or even PHEV, apparently) should actually be plugged in once in a while.

At least in Tesla's case all the time, helps with battery degradation. Anytime mine is near a plug i charge it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ciaphas posted:

Flip it to mountain mode for 5-10min, and it'll have a bit more range for you to try.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

They found one that was charged to 60%, so good enough.

What was L on the gear selector supposed to be? I thought at first it was for making the car run only on electric, but then I found the Mode button. :downs:

Does the regen braking, either with or without the paddle under your left hand, activate the brake lights? Feels like it should.

I was surprised how often it seemed to drain only from the battery. Even at highway speeds of 75 the infotainment panel insisted it hadn't turned the engine on. Felt great to have instant torque like that.

Now if only my lease on my Mazda3 were up before end of May, I really want an electric now :smith:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ciaphas posted:

What was L on the gear selector supposed to be? I thought at first it was for making the car run only on electric, but then I found the Mode button. :downs:

I think it just increases the base regen for convenience when descending long, steep grades.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ciaphas posted:

Does the regen braking, either with or without the paddle under your left hand, activate the brake lights? Feels like it should.

Yes it should, but last time I asked GM about that they said no, it doesn't make the brake light activate.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin posted:

Yes it should, but last time I asked GM about that they said no, it doesn't make the brake light activate.

That sounds kinda dangerous, though I guess no worse than engine braking.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ciaphas posted:

L on the shifter changes the regen mapping so that it drives closer to a one-pedal car. It's obviously tuned so that driving in D feels exactly like an automatic transmission ICE car. Even in L, though, there is more regen available, either with the flippy paddle on the column of gen2 Volts, or with the brake pedal with either generation. GM can't quite figure that one out. The brake pedal will apply maximum regen available before engaging the service brakes.

Ciaphas posted:

On a gen2 Volt it does. Any deceleration past a coast applies the brake lights. On a gen1 it does not. Fun stuff, there. :v:

Ciaphas posted:

I was surprised how often it seemed to drain only from the battery. Even at highway speeds of 75 the infotainment panel insisted it hadn't turned the engine on. Felt great to have instant torque like that.

As long as you are in EV mode, that is to say, you EV range remaining, the car will operate 100% electrically, all the way up to the speed limiter. Its an electric car with a range extender, not a parallel hybrid. It's also not a complete series hybrid, in that it CAN, under certain circumstances, (sustained cruise above 70mph in range-extending mode in a gen1 Volt,) clutch the engine to the drive planetary and drive the wheels directly. When the Eco nerds found out about that, you would have thought GM had murdered a thousand whales. It was like the worst thing they'd ever done. Personally, I think it's even more impressive than a pure series hybrid.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Really I want a Bolt or another pure electric but I don't think they're going to make it here to Las Vegas before my lease comes due between March and May (the dealer's willing to eat the remaining months to get my car back), a Volt feels almost like settling. Still a good car I'm sure, though.

Cool that the older volt could drive with both, that's really neat technologically speaking.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Cool that the older volt could drive with both, that's really neat technologically speaking.

The Gen 2 Volt is similar.. While in Range Extender mode, there are drive modes where it will clutch the engine directly to the wheels. This explains all: http://gm-volt.com/2015/02/20/gen-2-volt-transmission-operating-modes-explained/

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

MrYenko posted:

As long as you are in EV mode, that is to say, you EV range remaining, the car will operate 100% electrically, all the way up to the speed limiter. Its an electric car with a range extender, not a parallel hybrid. It's also not a complete series hybrid, in that it CAN, under certain circumstances, (sustained cruise above 70mph in range-extending mode in a gen1 Volt,) clutch the engine to the drive planetary and drive the wheels directly. When the Eco nerds found out about that, you would have thought GM had murdered a thousand whales. It was like the worst thing they'd ever done. Personally, I think it's even more impressive than a pure series hybrid.

It actually makes a lot of sense too once the ICE is in its power band. You would be dumb to covert to electric and then back.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Parallel hybrids just aren’t as cool. Sorry.

Hope that helps.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

L mode is for cool people who used to drive a stick, and D mode is for dorks. L mode is handy in stop and go traffic, and stuff like that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

Letting up on the accelerator should result in freewheeling.

If I wanted to slow down, I’d use the brake pedal. :colbert:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

Parallel hybrids just aren’t as cool. Sorry.

Hope that helps.

GM refused to admit this feature for the longest time. It really made no sense to lie about it. You have a gas engine burning fuel, the most efficient use is driving the wheels. This is also why the prius is superior to any and all EV. Going to get a prime and that sweet tax credit for my fake electric car.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I'd test drive a Prius/Volt back to back. When I did the Volt really stood out, quieter, felt more solid, etc. More cargo space and resale value in the Prius though.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

blugu64 posted:

I'd test drive a Prius/Volt back to back. When I did the Volt really stood out, quieter, felt more solid, etc. More cargo space and resale value in the Prius though.

The volt is a great car. Its super quiet, has good power, decent handling, comfortable. The electric range is better than most people think. In an all electric vehicle you really can't use 100% of the range as you would be stranded. In the volt you can use every single mile of the 53 electric miles. So in my opinion a 53 mile volt is really equal to a 70 mile electric car since I would leave 10-15 miles of just in case battery (or cold weather buffer) when doing trips.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

blugu64 posted:

I drove a Prius a couple years ago and utterly loathed it, mostly (and this is silly, I know) for that asinine bar across the middle of the hatch that nicely obstructs your rear view.

Still thinking about that Volt I drove and wondering if they offer enough incentives to turn in my Mazda early this is such a bad idea stop thinking about this :suicide:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I'm going o be driving the Bolt finally at the end of the month. Anyone have any questions they want me to ask the engineers?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drgitlin posted:

I'm going o be driving the Bolt finally at the end of the month. Anyone have any questions they want me to ask the engineers?

What's the final final word on 80 kW charging? It was a bit of back and forth on that and Chevy still hasn't answered clearly.

Will there be an OEM roof rack?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sort of kind of EV related. If I were to get a Volt and drive it in such a way that I almost never actually use any gasoline, would that cause maintenance problems, e.g. from stagnant fuel or oil or whatever? I know gently caress all about cars but I vaguely remember that being a thing.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Sorta related, I had to get a battery tender to manage my hybrid's 12V battery because I don't drive it far enough to charge significantly.

They're cool appliances anyways.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Sort of kind of EV related. If I were to get a Volt and drive it in such a way that I almost never actually use any gasoline, would that cause maintenance problems, e.g. from stagnant fuel or oil or whatever? I know gently caress all about cars but I vaguely remember that being a thing.

The Volt already accounts for that. The fuel system is particularly well sealed so that fuel lasts longer in the first place. If you do manage to go a year without refueling, it will run the engine anyway just to burn off the stale gas.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Those crafty engineers, always one step ahead.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've actually seen idiots hypermilers eco-conscious owners on the Volt forums asking about disabling the engine-maintenance mode, because it upsets their perfect green car world.

Those people are missing the loving point.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I've seen some recommend popping the hood and letting it run in the driveway so that it doesn't count against their MPG figures on Volt stats. :downs:

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I've actually seen idiots hypermilers eco-conscious owners on the Volt forums asking about disabling the engine-maintenance mode, because it upsets their perfect green car world.

Those people are missing the loving point.

Geez, buy an actual EV if you can't stand having a gas motor run ever.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Phuzun posted:

Geez, buy an actual EV if you can't stand having a gas motor run ever.

and because you know, an EV would actually fit your usage pattern if that were the case.

FIAT even offers a set number of days of rental car usage in their lease, if you need long trips. Rental cars plus a leaf or 500e would be a better solution than a Volt.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Volt already accounts for that. The fuel system is particularly well sealed so that fuel lasts longer in the first place. If you do manage to go a year without refueling, it will run the engine anyway just to burn off the stale gas.
How does it work for things like timing belt, oil changes, spark plugs, etc? Does the computer calculate when they need to be changed based on runtime or something? The timing belt is designed to last for 100k miles, but if 60k of those miles are all-electric then do you still have to change it?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'd say you should change rubber items just because they'll degrade over time whether they're used or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Vitamin J posted:

How does it work for things like timing belt, oil changes, spark plugs, etc? Does the computer calculate when they need to be changed based on runtime or something? The timing belt is designed to last for 100k miles, but if 60k of those miles are all-electric then do you still have to change it?

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ners-Manual.pdf

Looks like it's all mileage based, but a lot of engine stuff is basically "replace it if it's fucky, and the dealership will be able to help."

• Locked thread