Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

the spyder posted:

Random question of the day: What keeps you motivated?

Mortgage payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Macs are evil pieces of crap and they deserve to all die

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

That's why I've been sticking to Macs. They seem to confuse Indians for some reason. I still try to keep my fingers a little in the Windows world so I know what's going on there, though. Speaking both Mac and Windows comes in handy from time to time.

The place I work for has an Indian outsourcing company in Chennai - and frankly if what we have seen is anything to go by, powering on a PC confuses the gently caress out of them.They are supposed to be the best talent but for fucks sake, I've never seen such a ridiculous lack of anything approaching education on IT.

Please note my distinction here - I say Education because my opinion of the people themselves is that you get good ones and you get bad ones and you get ones completely unsuited who are otherwise decent workers - just liek anywhere else. But the education they get even from so called top line University is just sooooooo bad. So thence I'm not really bothered by outsourcing anymore , it just doenst work and I can get a consulting job anyway.

I *am* concerned about the cloud shitfest however. Not for job security, but holy hell the applications and security are just sooooo loving bad and causing a whole sweep of new problems!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Most developers are not actually all that computer hardware Savvy most the developers I work with know nothing about operation systems Administration or Hardware

Also insert obligatory the cloud is just someone else's computer

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Most developers are not actually all that computer hardware Savvy most the developers I work with know nothing about operation systems Administration or Hardware

Also insert obligatory the cloud is just someone else's computer
Not sure, but I'm thinking that my experience as a Windows sysadmin might help on my resume or whatever. I have a very broad education base and can do many, many things, just none lucrative at the moment.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

I'm not laughing because I'm happy, or crying because I'm sad.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Door Frame posted:

I need to be ready to get a real job with real benefits by the time that the ACA gets completely gutted, otherwise it will be too expensive to get the meds that allow me to work, or even see my psych, and that will be the end of things for a while

This is really the only thing I'm truly worried about with Trump. Prior to the passage of the ACA my wife couldn't get insurance unless she was able to be "cured" of hypothyroidism. Which you cannot be cured of - it's a lifelong condition, but is easily managed by a $10/90 day supply generic prescription and a $250 annual blood test.

If the pre-existing conditions clause is struck down she might get booted off of my employer-provided insurance and will be right back to "we will not write you a policy - even with an exemption for your condition - for any sum of money."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Not sure, but I'm thinking that my experience as a Windows sysadmin might help on my resume or whatever. I have a very broad education base and can do many, many things, just none lucrative at the moment.

This is a good thing and it helped on my resume as well as many development teams are trying to get more people who have experience with the operation side of the house in order to kind of fill out the development operations lifestyle that a lot of these buzzwords spewing managers are pushing

Get familiar with Chef puppet and Jenkins

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 18, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Probably just an ABS sensor on one corner. Hopefully.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

Macs are evil pieces of crap and they deserve to all die

Ah, yes, because Microsoft is the epitome of quality and benevolence.
At least from a hardware standpoint, Macs are built like a brick house.

Really, I don't get the hate. They're powerful and easy to use consumer devices. As a nerdy friend in Network Ops said, they run UNIX and also run Office. The work with Active Directory. Anything you can't do from the GUI, you can come in sideways and do from the command line.
They even run Windows.
Apple is making some decisions I don't like regarding ports and the lack thereof, but the hardware itself is still solid.

(Every OS sucks).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

Probably just an ABS sensor on one corner. Hopefully.

I'm going the other way with it, maybe a couple of warning light bulbs burned out and the whole thing is FUUUUUUUUUCKED.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The place I work for has an Indian outsourcing company in Chennai - and frankly if what we have seen is anything to go by, powering on a PC confuses the gently caress out of them.They are supposed to be the best talent but for fucks sake, I've never seen such a ridiculous lack of anything approaching education on IT.

Please note my distinction here - I say Education because my opinion of the people themselves is that you get good ones and you get bad ones and you get ones completely unsuited who are otherwise decent workers - just liek anywhere else. But the education they get even from so called top line University is just sooooooo bad. So thence I'm not really bothered by outsourcing anymore , it just doenst work and I can get a consulting job anyway.

I *am* concerned about the cloud shitfest however. Not for job security, but holy hell the applications and security are just sooooo loving bad and causing a whole sweep of new problems!

That's kind of my take on it, too. The best part is that ideally, by law, the job has to have been offered to Americans, and only filled by a visiting worker (H1-B visa) if unable to fill from local talent. You can NOT tell me they can't find a single Windows desktop guy (or gal) in Dallas. Or network guy, or server guy. None of these are highly specialized IT jobs. No one is enforcing the rules, and its killing the industry. Soon, they actually won't be able to find local tech guys, because who's going to go into the field knowing they won't give the job to a citizen?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Maybe, but I don't want to keep this shitheap going anymore. Regardless of the root cause, I'm cleaning the car tomorrow, putting all its documentation in order (it does have a full service history in a 2" thick file folder), and tossing it up on Kijiji as is. I'll drive it as is until it sells and then cancel my insurance if I don't have a vehicle to transfer it to. For the next while I guess I can take cabs to work and 90% of the time my parents pick up my dogs after I leave for work so it's not like I have to drive outside the city much for the next 3 weeks anyways if they're willing to bring them home after my shift blocks.

I hope the guy selling that F150 gets back to me, if it's a few hundred bucks or less away from road legality, I'll totally hop on the Ford 5.0 train if I can scrounge up enough from the Mazda.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You have a strange definition of "livable"

Sure more liveable than 40c

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Darchangel posted:

That's kind of my take on it, too. The best part is that ideally, by law, the job has to have been offered to Americans, and only filled by a visiting worker (H1-B visa) if unable to fill from local talent. You can NOT tell me they can't find a single Windows desktop guy (or gal) in Dallas. Or network guy, or server guy. None of these are highly specialized IT jobs. No one is enforcing the rules, and its killing the industry. Soon, they actually won't be able to find local tech guys, because who's going to go into the field knowing they won't give the job to a citizen?

This might actually be the one good thing that could potentially come out of a Trump presidency and the xenophobia that comes with it. It just depends on how completely that's been given up in favor of corporate plutocracy.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

This is a good thing and it helped on my resume as well as many development teams are trying to get more people who have experience with the operation side of the house in order to kind of fill out the development operations lifestyle that a lot of these buzzwords spewing managers are pushing

Get familiar with Chef puppet and Jenkins

Also find something you want to own and make it yours. "Taking ownership and acting" is the new key maneuver if you want to move into a stable situation in today's dev/tech world.

I saw a niche at my company and just started acting like the product/system was mine. If you don't put a signature on your emails, people think you're important and do the things you ask them to do. 13 years later, I'm the only one of my draft class still here and I've outlived about 20 different layoffs where more talented coders but overall less rounded players were shown the door.

Our offshore work comes from South America and wow are they a LOT more on the ball/aware of american business culture than the indian and other far east contractor solutions we've used.

Sinestro posted:

This might actually be the one good thing that could potentially come out of a Trump presidency and the xenophobia that comes with it. It just depends on how completely that's been given up in favor of corporate plutocracy.

Bad news! Xenophobia has no effect on the plutocracy and they're going to quadruple this practice if allowed (they will be).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

Sure more liveable than 40c

I'd rather live in the asscrack of Lucifer than Melbourne anyday.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

melbourne is nice but very boring

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Ah, yes, because Microsoft is the epitome of quality and benevolence.

Really, I don't get the hate. They're powerful and easy to use consumer devices. As a nerdy friend in Network Ops said, they run UNIX and also run Office. The work with Active Directory. Anything you can't do from the GUI, you can come in sideways and do from the command line.
They even run Windows.
Apple is making some decisions I don't like regarding ports and the lack thereof, but the hardware itself is still solid.

(Every OS sucks).

Its an overpriced PC that now solders its Hard Disk to the mainboard and requires dongles for even basic peripherals.

You could buy anything else, throw Red Hat or Ubuntu on it, and be 10x better off.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 18, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Suffer not a GNU installation to live.

Why not just build a computer and install Darwin with XNU? The only differences between that and OSX is that it is OSX without Aqua, Cocoa, and AppleTax.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

This is really the only thing I'm truly worried about with Trump. Prior to the passage of the ACA my wife couldn't get insurance unless she was able to be "cured" of hypothyroidism. Which you cannot be cured of - it's a lifelong condition, but is easily managed by a $10/90 day supply generic prescription and a $250 annual blood test.

If the pre-existing conditions clause is struck down she might get booted off of my employer-provided insurance and will be right back to "we will not write you a policy - even with an exemption for your condition - for any sum of money."

This may really gently caress the self-employed/independent contractor types (i.e. me) too. My insurance is through the marketplace, and I definitely have pre-existing conditions, one of which will be lifelong. Diabetes and high blood pressure. The HBP is manageable with medications, and exercise + diet have helped a lot. The beetus responds well to oral meds (so no insulin - yet), but if I skip the meds for a day, I feel like poo poo, and my sugar skyrockets.

Of course... one could also argue that the ACA is the reason I was ever diagnosed. I hadn't had blood work done in over a decade, and didn't have regular medical care - just went to an urgent care clinic whenever I was sick. First thing my doctor wanted to do was bloodwork.

My a1c was over 12, and my fasting sugar was almost 300. I wasn't happy to be told I was diabetic, but it explained a lot of things, and thanks to that bloodwork, I'm able to manage it pretty well. TBH, I never would have gone in for bloodwork had I not had insurance with a reasonable deductible - my last employer-sponsored insurance plan had a $2000 or $2500 deductible before it covered anything (and didn't cover mental health).

Also, thanks to having a diagnosis of diabetes, I get an eye exam paid for every year by my medical insurance, so long as I have a referral. Seeing as I wear glasses, and my vision is definitely getting worse as I age, that's pretty useful and saves me a little bit of money. It's been almost a year and a half since my last exam, and my doctor has already told me she wants to give me a referral to an eye doctor ASAP. Just waiting on my insurance to unfuck themselves (fuckers changed my PCP on Jan 1st without my consent, and refuse to backdate the change back to my regular PCP).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 18, 2017

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
would ai be interested in a dodgy aussie guide on going to drift heaven aka this place?

from the responses looks like plenty of people have been to japan but not ebisu

SquirrelGrip fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 18, 2017

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

You bet your rear end I want to know more about Ebisu.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Nah that place looks boring (do it)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Oh cool! Mac/Windows chat! Hey what do you all think of HOA's? I live in one and it's actually not bad. $200 a year gets me irrigation water for my yard and the organization is all volunteer from neighbors and pretty chill. Also in 10+ years since the inception of the hood the annual fee has not increased one dime.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Looks like Christmas in January! :sassargh:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'd rather live in the asscrack of Lucifer than Melbourne anyday.
I dunno. Toorak is a pretty ballin suburb and I'd live there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Nah it's fukkin poo poo there mate, the people there are proper cunts.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Oh cool! Mac/Windows chat! Hey what do you all think of HOA's? I live in one and it's actually not bad. $200 a year gets me irrigation water for my yard and the organization is all volunteer from neighbors and pretty chill. Also in 10+ years since the inception of the hood the annual fee has not increased one dime.

Looks like Christmas in January! :sassargh:

HOAs are good, but conversly, HOAs are bad. Therefore, suburbia is a land of contrasts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well my bosses are worried about my mental state so I got put on a mental health leave today. Only time in my life I have a 4 day weekend and not want it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

HOAs are good, but conversly, HOAs are bad. Therefore, suburbia is a land of contrasts.

it represents the duality of man

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
We're topping out around 35 today, which is plenty warm for me. Not looking forward to doing deliveries this arvo. No aircon in the Hiace and pushing trolleys full of beer around certainly works up a sweat.

Could be worse, could be down the hill. gently caress Penrith forever

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slothrop posted:

We're topping out around 35 today, which is plenty warm for me. Not looking forward to doing deliveries this arvo. No aircon in the Hiace and pushing trolleys full of beer around certainly works up a sweat.

Could be worse, could be down the hill. gently caress Penrith forever

Here's your pallet of 22 beers. What? no, they make them in 22 now. The empty space is for thermal expansion.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I get that you can't find a proper Turkish kebab that way easily (well not when I was there) but the houses were amazing.
Best kebab I had was on main road west in St Albans

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

HOAs are evil.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

To the point of replacing your hard drive means running the risk of breaking your monitor, as you earlier demonstrated ITT:

Darchangel posted:

Yesterday, I hosed up.

I managed to drop the screen on an iMac I was replacing the hard drive in.
For those that don't know, to replace a hard drive in any of Apple's iMacs since 2012, you have to use a tool to separate double-sided tape, and remove the display.

Honestly my biggest gripe with Apple is their insistence on only allowing their OS to run on their hardware. If I could (legally) load MacOS on a system I built most of my complaints with Apple would go away. But instead I'd have to buy an overpriced computer that (as demonstrated above) is a major pain in the rear end to replace or upgrade components, and aside from the aesthetically pleasing case is little different from PC offerings, since Apple switched to an x86 platform.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You guys know there is a hackintosh thread right?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wrar posted:

You guys know there is a hackintosh thread right?

Geoj posted:

If I could (legally) load MacOS on a system I built most of my complaints with Apple would go away. But instead I'd have to buy an overpriced computer that (as demonstrated above) is a major pain in the rear end to replace or upgrade components, and aside from the aesthetically pleasing case is little different from PC offerings, since Apple switched to an x86 platform.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Says the goon from Sydney

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

McTinkerson posted:

You bet your rear end I want to know more about Ebisu.

ok ill put something together, maybe include "how to buy a car sight unseen from a race track in another country"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is there a polite way to respond to Craigslisters who are only smart enough to ask "how low will you go"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

BraveUlysses posted:

Is there a polite way to respond to Craigslisters who are only smart enough to ask "how low will you go"

Just send them this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq7pxUgjLz0

• Locked thread