Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You'd think the FF7 remake would be a softball after the last decade... the plot is written, the locations are defined and designed, major events are set in stone... so we can be confident that Nomura will decide to randomly change and introduce a ton of weird things that no one wants but require 2 years of development so that you can, I dunno, chose from 60 pieces of accoutrement for your Chocobo to wear while you watch it race (because they didn't have time to do the actual racing controls).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Hope E3 has some info.

I think only 1% of the stuff shown at E3s for FFXV actually made it into the game. Admittedly I didn't watch E3 2016 but nothing from 2014/2015 was in the final product

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The sound is over Bluetooth via the remote so keep that in mind. That said if you have some heavy duty headphones you might need an amp
Mind explaining what you mean by an amp? I have some decent in-ear earphones and a more heavy-duty pair of headphones for PC gaming, am I gonna need something else?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm pretty sure FF7R will come sooner rather than later, what with CyberConnect2 being involved on the grunt work.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I'm pretty sure FF7R will come sooner rather than later, what with CyberConnect2 being involved on the grunt work.

it's not coming out this year so what counts as sooner for you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Very late 2018 at the earliest. If it ever comes out. Which I don't think it will.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Man Phantom Pain is tits.

And Bloodborne is hard as poo poo

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

smallmouth posted:

I'm a new PS4 owner. What driving game should I get? Is there a good rally game?

You're in luck because "Dirt" is exactly what you're looking for

That said it is more of an unforgiving racing sim than anything else. I'm a bit peeved they removed the rewind function

Pierson posted:

Mind explaining what you mean by an amp? I have some decent in-ear earphones and a more heavy-duty pair of headphones for PC gaming, am I gonna need something else?

I'm not audiophile and someone can probably explain better. But ultimately some headphones require x amount of power to produce their intended sound. Things like the ps4 controller might only output x amount of power so you'd need an amp that uses supplemental power, this would negate the controller plugin and just have an optical out from ps4 > amp > headphone jack out.

That said you should be fine. Running your controller wired to the ps4 would probably give you better sound

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 17, 2017

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

You're in luck because "Dirt" is exactly what you're looking for

That said it is more of an unforgiving racing sim than anything else. I'm a bit peeved they removed the rewind function

Are there any good arcadey racing games ala burnout for the system? I have drive club which I like, but it's this weird mix of sim and arcade that I wish leaned a little more towards the latter.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The one thing that makes me mad about Xbone compared to PS4 is that they've had three forza games and Gran Turismo is still just in delayed mode.

And burnout is dead. Long live burnout.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Pirate Captain posted:

Are there any good arcadey racing games ala burnout for the system? I have drive club which I like, but it's this weird mix of sim and arcade that I wish leaned a little more towards the latter.

Not really afaik unfortunately

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

That said you should be fine. Running your controller wired to the ps4 would probably give you better sound

I don't think this is true at all. The output is Bluetooth from the PS4 so plugging it in to the USB ports doesn't make a difference.

verbal enema posted:

Man Phantom Pain is tits.

Probably one of my favourite games ever. I know it's not finished properly but it has some of the best third person gameplay I've ever experienced. The subsistence missions , few as they are, are some of my favourites in any game ever.

Also there's some levels (in particular a late game one on Mother Base) that are the amazing.

Great great game.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 17, 2017

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
TPP has been my go to time killer since release over a year ago. Man I really wish Fox Engine was made available for other developers, it's basically a Deal With The Devil powered engine on steroids. The game runs so smooth at 60 fps and looks fantastic.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The closest you're gonna get is The Crew, which is a bad game that becomes a mediocre game with DLC.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't think this is true at all. The output is Bluetooth from the PS4 so plugging it in to the USB ports doesn't make a difference.

The new DS4s actually transmit data via USB when plugged in. Plus aftermarket wired controllers

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

homeless snail posted:

The closest you're gonna get is The Crew, which is a bad game that becomes a mediocre game with DLC.

Well that does not sound great. Thanks anyway.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

smallmouth posted:

I'm a new PS4 owner. What driving game should I get? Is there a good rally game?

Was gonna say, I hear DIRT is good. Also will be getting a VR mode... I do hear it's a little on the hard side. I need to read up more on it because I keep wnating to get it but then I think "DO I need more frustration in my life?" (I have no wheel... so it would be controller.)

Man driving games used to DEFINE consoles. Now they are barely even around. It's kinda sad.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Well that does not sound great. Thanks anyway.

Get trackmania turbo. it's available very cheap now. it's exceptionally arcadey... late single player game gets more like super meat boy with cars than a 'racing' game, but it's very good fun. Phenomenal multiplayer with a secret mario kart mode (in 4 way split screen is the business) and a very powerful track editor.

this is a pretty accurate impression of what it's all about - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=furu43W-DYg

These are the secret multiplayer modes - https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/168637-trackmania-turbo/cheats
They shouldve just had them as a list, the one you want for local mp is 'splitscreen bonus fun' - which is weapons & collisions on. it also has catchup on and random environmental things like earthquakes and magnets - the 'pro' variant turns this off.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 17, 2017

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The new DS4s actually transmit data via USB when plugged in. Plus aftermarket wired controllers

Just got a Pro and in my more twitchy games like Rocket League and Titanfall I think (I may have convinced myself) that I can see an improvement in input lag. Things feel a lot more responsive, especially in a MP game like Rocket League where I assume calculations are done serverside (probably wrong), making a higher ping feel like you are driving and turning in molasses. Even a small improvement in input latency makes the game more enjoyable and snappy.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

cubicle gangster posted:

Get trackmania turbo. it's available very cheap now. it's exceptionally arcadey... late single player game gets more like super meat boy with cars than a 'racing' game, but it's very good fun. Phenomenal multiplayer with a secret mario kart mode (in 4 way split screen is the business) and a very powerful track editor.

this is a pretty accurate impression of what it's all about - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=furu43W-DYg

These are the secret multiplayer modes - https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/168637-trackmania-turbo/cheats
They shouldve just had them as a list, the one you want for local mp is 'splitscreen bonus fun' - which is weapons & collisions on. it also has catchup on and random environmental things like earthquakes and magnets - the 'pro' variant turns this off.

And the VR mode is my personal vomit comet

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Feenix posted:

Man driving games used to DEFINE consoles. Now they are barely even around. It's kinda sad.

I miss car combat. :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Forgot about that. Good point. I wonder if they handle Audio over USB.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

blugu64 posted:

And the VR mode is my personal vomit comet

Man I would love to try trackmania in VR. the slow, technical platform tracks I cant stop making would be harrowing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Last Guardian is pretty cool but also janky as hell. I just spent five minutes trying to get some story-required food for Trico. Then I threw it at him and he pushed it straight through the floor. I had to reload my save.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I will say I mostly say that in jest, but out of all the games I've done, it was really the only one that made my stomach uneasy.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

That looks like pure insanity. I must have it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The fact there is nothing like Burnout, and hasnt been for years absolutely boggles my mind. I loved burnout, pretty much everyone I know who plays games loved burnout, but not only has there not been a burnout game in better than a decade, as far as I remember no-one has even brought out a good knock-off of the gameplay.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the nfs hot pursuit game that criterion made was fairly similar to burnout. the sad truth tho is that burnout didn't sell as much as need for speed, which is why criterion got put on that series instead. now criterion is a shell of its former self, if it even exists at all anymore

best hope for another game like that is for some indie studio to put it out as a download only title tbh

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Hot Pursuit could have been a better game if it ditched the open world aspect. I know it was the thing this generation but I like tracks, not weird open worlds where I can race against Miatas in my Porche 911

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that's why I didn't like burnout paradise much compared to takedown or revenge

they could just remaster either of those games and I'd buy them. get on it ea

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That's the biggest casualty of tech creep. We don't get the Burnouts, Tony Hawk Pro Skaters, Katamari Damacy, etc. Goofy, novel concepts backed by actual programmers. Indie games try to take over that niche, but for the most part the game play looks are pretty similar because of the short staffed /inexperienced programming. On the other end of the spectrum, they don't sell well enough to justify pumping AAA resources into them. Where are the mid tier, fun games

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Feenix posted:

Was gonna say, I hear DIRT is good. Also will be getting a VR mode... I do hear it's a little on the hard side. I need to read up more on it because I keep wnating to get it but then I think "DO I need more frustration in my life?" (I have no wheel... so it would be controller.)

It's definitely playable on a controller but it's extremely frustrating and unforgiving so FYI. You'll total cars constantly when you first stset. All the other Dirt rally games have that instant rewind button that you can hit in a race but for whatever reason this one doesn't have that. It's annoying being towards the end of a race and totalling my car or loving up a 100mph turn

It has been on sale a handful of times so you can wait out for that. VR mode is apparently $10 DLC

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Forgot about that. Good point. I wonder if they handle Audio over USB.

I can't say with surety but I read some reviews that audio was a lot better via the wired Nacon pro controller. Curious if the DS4 transmits it via USB or Bluetooth as well

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
According to Amazon my Platinum headset is arriving on Thursday. I'll tell the thread all about my poor purchasing decision.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Phantom Pain isn't finished properly?

Don't spoil nothing still 3℅ in

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Don't worry, you'll get sick of MGS V long before you see the ending even if you love it. Most padded game ever.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

verbal enema posted:

its fine

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

verbal enema posted:

It's essentially Act 1 of a two-act game. The second half is mostly padding.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

For me, MGSV is exactly like FFXV. I could list out complaints all day but instead spend all day playing the game. I really like MGSV and the ending was just a weird scene in an open world murder sim, or some incomprehensible movie between "overlevelled deathboyzz adventures" in FF.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

verbal enema posted:

if you played peace walker, phantom pain's story is kinda like that. you hit an ending but after the credits you open up more missions. a lot of them are repeats of previous missions with special conditions to them, but you unlock some story stuff for completing enough of those that act as epilogues for some of the cast

some stuff was obviously cut tho so there are big gaps in the narrative surrounding some of the characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Don't worry, you'll get sick of MGS V long before you see the ending even if you love it. Most padded game ever.

ah, i see somebody has never played a single rpg