Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

the Orb of Zot posted:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Printings.aspx?multiverseid=382866

Gatherer is so old it has forgotten that Vintage exists. RIP.
Intentional or a gently caress up? It doesn't look like Commander is on here either and that still seems like it gets WotC support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they killed the best planeswalker (its venser) and havent even bothered to use the huge plot hook reason they killed him off, so theyre a bunch of fuckin dweebs if you ask me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Venser was cool because?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i dont normally respond to trolls, but its extremely simple

1) he was a cool creature card that was also a really neat and different type of counter spell
2) his planeswalker card was a lot of fun and a good power level
3) he had a sliver. nobody else has a sliver. so whats up.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

i dont normally respond to trolls, but its extremely simple

1) he was a cool creature card that was also a really neat and different type of counter spell
2) his planeswalker card was a lot of fun and a good power level
3) he had a sliver. nobody else has a sliver. so whats up.

He was a connection to Dominaria, and we just cannot have that.

Karn's busy being an idiot so he's safe.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That's as good a case for PW coolness as I could've hoped for.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

vensers sliver was actually a really elegant design "counter" to slivers in limited without being a total blowout or totally useless

edit: plague sliver sort of was too except it was a rare and in a color and was just a bomb card that you would independently play since it was juzam so it didn't really fit the same mold

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Someone remind me if Volrath invented slivers or just found them

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I missed that Klomparens started writing again -- now at SCG. Based on her TCG content, I wholeheartedly recommend her articles.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Soul Glo posted:

Garruk sounds p cool, tbh

So when Bolas beats the Gatewatch, someone's gonna die, right? Otherwise what's it mean to lose a planeswalker fight? So who dies? If Garruk comes back as the green walker, Nissa could croak I guess?

Ajani dies if anyone dies. Set symbol is probably Karn coming around to tell the Gatewatch to stop being so goddamn terrible and help him kill a bunch of Phyrexians instead.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

Ajani dies if anyone dies. Set symbol is probably Karn coming around to tell the Gatewatch to stop being so goddamn terrible and help him kill a bunch of Phyrexians instead.

He's part of the gatewatch now so he has IP armour. The only way he dies is on a rescue mission to Nyx to bring back Elspeth.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

Someone remind me if Volrath invented slivers or just found them

Found and sent in Metallic Sliver as a spy or whatever, iirc

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Yep, found them in the caves under his castle and used Metallic Slivers to try to control them.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Bolas kills Jace and everyone goes on an adventure to find a way to resurrect him into a new body, because he is sooOoOooo strong that his soul is sticking around.

Everyone is unified around this goal of bringing back "their dear friend"

Look in your heart, you know this is how they'd kill a character.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sigma-X posted:

Bolas kills Jace and everyone goes on an adventure to find a way to resurrect him into a new body, because he is sooOoOooo strong that his soul is sticking around.

His spark is detected in a newborn child and we get a literal baby Jace, also Jaceus.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I would actually enjoy Ghost Jace hanging around annoying everyone else.

Would also like to see Ajani mention the Inter-Planar League Of Planeswalkers of which everyone is a member, who drink in the same Dominarian pub. But no one has invited Jace & crew. "Uh, sorry. Everyone thinks you're evil. I mean, you used to work for Nicol Bolas and your on/off girlfriend is Liliana Vess?"

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I just really wish they'd carried on the thing from Zen 2 block where Ugin shows up at the end of the block and calls them all little babby dumbasses

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

AceClown posted:

I just really wish they'd carried on the thing from Zen 2 block where Ugin shows up at the end of the block and calls them all little babby dumbasses

That's just a plot thread they'll leave dangling for another 5 years.

Unless it's going to be revealed that destroying the titans WAS PART OF BOLAS' PLAN ALL ALONG

"As Bolas sat in his overlord throne on the plane of Amonkhet, four small words escaped his lips.

'All according to Keikaku.'"

Retromancer fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 18, 2017

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jace is absorbed into karn

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Soul Glo posted:

Garruk sounds p cool, tbh

So when Bolas beats the Gatewatch, someone's gonna die, right? Otherwise what's it mean to lose a planeswalker fight? So who dies? If Garruk comes back as the green walker, Nissa could croak I guess?

My money would be on Gideon, with Nissa as a close runner-up.

Jace is the dumb Mary Sue main character they want to push, so he's safe.
Lilliana is his waifu now, so she's safe.
Chandra just got reunited with her mom, so can't kill her.

Nissa is just a generic elf mage, who can easily be replaced by a Garruk, or a UG variant Teferi (is Teferi still alive?) when they head back to Dominaria. Gideon's origin story is that his friends all died when his spark ignited because of his pride, so it would make thematic sense to have him sacrifice himself to save his new group of friends, and then get replaced by Ajani or a resurrected Elspeth.

But more than likely none of them will die and the stupid super friends storyline will continue for another decade's worth of no-stakes, paint-by-numbers storylines.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sigma-X posted:

This would be cool but Jace stays dead and they bring back Elspeth

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

or a UG variant Teferi (is Teferi still alive?)

No, Teferi is dead as poo poo from his incredible old.

Also "loving up the entire universe by jamming my island somewhere else then jamming it back in" isn't very green.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
Jace becomes a Sliver.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

80s James Hetfield posted:

This would be cool but Jace stays dead and they bring back Elspeth

No they specifically leave her dead while bringing back Jace as an extra gently caress you to people who liked Elspeth / hate Jace.

KillarySwank posted:

Jace becomes a Sliver.

Other Slivers you control gain " [+1 Loyalty] : exile target player's library."

Nature finds a way

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

so VSL is on, and noted alcoholic Andy "Brassman" Probasco lost a game to CalebD on Mentor in which brassman went Lotus->crack for black->Deathrite->Dread of Night->mox emerald->U Sea-> Leovold, go

lol

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Rinkles posted:

I missed that Klomparens started writing again -- now at SCG. Based on her TCG content, I wholeheartedly recommend her articles.

There was a little bit of shuffling around in the mtg article world. BBD went to TCGPlayer, Mike Sigrist went to ChannelFireball, and Jadine Klomparens went to SCG.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

There was a little bit of shuffling around in the mtg article world. BBD went to TCGPlayer, Mike Sigrist went to ChannelFireball, and Jadine Klomparens went to SCG.

I noticed, but Jadine took a break from writing half a year or so ago.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Jace dying would be a party because that means the Guildpact breaks again and Return to Return To Ravnica becomes the multiverse's biggest moshpit while they try to get the Implicit Maze up and running again.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Rinkles posted:

I noticed, but Jadine took a break from writing half a year or so ago.

She hadn't been writing for that long? Geez. I'll be amazed if she stays on the free side of SCG

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Entropic posted:

For the stuff like commander and modern masters, that comes out every year or every other years? Yeah, I think like a "C17" or "MM17" in the style of the M10 core sets would have made a lot of sense. Too late now though.

That is a horrible idea, those set symbols were so ugly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

so VSL is on, and noted alcoholic Andy "Brassman" Probasco lost a game to CalebD on Mentor in which brassman went Lotus->crack for black->Deathrite->Dread of Night->mox emerald->U Sea-> Leovold, go

lol

I am watching VSL for the first time this season now and who is Rachel Agnes and is this a name I should know

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Dehtraen posted:

You'd think they would want to keep the 2016 WORLD CHAMPION around.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I am watching VSL for the first time this season now and who is Rachel Agnes and is this a name I should know

Alex Bertoncini's girlfriend, so yeah, expect him back as soon as his ban is lifted.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elyv posted:

i dont know but i googled her and she has what appears to be a five foot tall copy of relentless dead. or she is extremely small

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Alex Bertoncini's girlfriend, so yeah, expect him back as soon as his ban is lifted.

Makes you want to barf just thinking about it.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

BJPaskoff posted:

How many bans does it take for this to become a permanent thing?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

KillarySwank posted:

How many bans does it take for this to become a permanent thing?

One more, as always.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BJPaskoff posted:

Are you loving kidding me? This is being streamed on Wizards' Twitch channel and they are bringing known cheaters back into the fold? A true gently caress you to anyone who invests time and money in competitive magic.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Hellsau posted:

As long as it all ends with Jace becoming the new Father of Machines, and polymorphing Elesh Norn into an attractive human to be his other, other girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

mcmagic posted:

Are you loving kidding me? This is being streamed on Wizards' Twitch channel and they are bringing known cheaters back into the fold? A true gently caress you to anyone who invests time and money in competitive magic.

There's no indication that they're going to let him into VSL. If they wanted him on they could just bring him in, it's not a DCI event.

• Locked thread