Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Chalks posted:

Alright angry about fridges guy, relax. I don't see what a smart network could tell my fridge about off peak hours that a clock telling it when it's 1 am couldn't.

the precursor to smart grid appliances were ones that use RCC signaling to clock sync but that's utc so you have to set the time zone and people barely tolerate programming their microwave and stove so who the hell is going to do it on their fridge. and that does absolutely nothing for providing signalling for on/off peak rates to save you money or responding to brown out scenarios. are you actually interested in learning anything or are you just going to continue down this road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Do CANBUS next!

CANBUS I am more concerned about because there's a much more real potential impact for health and safety, there are fewer manufacturers/models/designs carried year to year so you're likely to be able to affect more things with higher impact at once, and once you break through the head unit and on to the canbus its pretty much open season for throwing the throttle wide open/locking up the brakes/whatever. but even that I don't think is super likely beyond isolated incidents. with that said, I'm grateful for researchers looking in to potential weaknesses in all of this stuff and forcing them to constantly update existing equipment and modify designs since it creates a moving target (har har) that makes it more difficult to cause widespread destruction

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

coordinated scada attacks on power generation/transmission infrastructure is the holy grail for crippling a country and I am surprised we haven't seen more of it beyond that incident in ukraine a year or two back

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

germany ...

really though you wouldn't show large-scale capabilities of that nature publicly unless you were effectively at war, like ukraine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

did you even think through this attack scenario or just mash your rear end on the keyboard until words came out?

you have two realistic attack scenarios: either you send valid signaling to manipulate the response to signalling of devices or your attack them to modify the hardware to do something new. either way, you first need to compromise the meter network. Not impossible, sometimes relatively easy depending on how lovely the utility did their deployment, but you're going to leave a lot of evidence sitting around so cover your tracks real good on that. you're not going to blast malicious zigbee traffic directly to the devices for more than a few blocks without erecting a massive, easy to find mast.

sure, if the only connectivity is a single one-way link using that one protocol it makes it harder, though more realistically instead of a tower you'd just get some nerds in a car driving around the neighborhood wardriving-style. this also assumes these devices wouldn't come with a built-in internet connection for selling marketing data, but i guess that's not a given yet.

also isn't zigbee generally bidirectional? would it be possible to infect via transmissions from an already infected device, mesh-network-style? (that last one is a legit question, i don't know if "zigbee for appliances" or whatever is different)

Okay, now you're on the zigbee network. Great. Good Job! So now you're lie to devices and tell them that either the peak/off-peak rates are inverted to generate extra load on peak so the utility has to fire up more peaking plants or buy off adjacent regions which costs them money and pisses them off, or maybe you put everyone's house in rolling brownout mode so all their AC dials back and the drier stops or something and you... minorly inconvenience people?

yep all of this is not what i'm saying and i agree wouldn't make much sense

Or perhaps you are the ultra l33t hacker and find a vuln in their zigbee code that allows for arbitrary execution or firmware re-write in which case how many devices do you really think you have a chance of effecting at once? are you going to be able to actually do anything with the device or just brick it? every manufacturer, model, and model year of device presents another fragmentation point that makes widespread compromise not very realistic.

good thing every manufacturer, model and model year of every device use the exact same two or three stock linux versions and software that came with the Broadcom SoC devkit and have never been updated ever

then you have to consider exactly how they integrate the zigbee radio and internal controls that can limit its ability to interact with the control logic of the device which would often make that type of attack impossible

i agree devices can be easily designed to make this attack impossible or useless, my point is nobody cares about that because there's no visible consequence at this point

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

its cheap poo poo by design but with the short range of the wireless signalling network and a plethora of manufacturers and models being rolled out all over the place the likelihood of a single wide-spread impact isn't that high.

do you really think it is likely that all those devices will use different chips and totally unique custom software stacks? even across different manufacturers i would (again) bet money that we are going to see the exact same poo poo we've been seeing for years now in consumer routers and iot crap: they will all use cheapo misconfigured software stacks full of old non-updated FOSS stuff written in unsafe languages like C. "oh but the protocol is pretty limited"! sure that's great but even if it's very locked down, it will mean jack if these devices have any alternate communication modes, or if other devices (like laptops or iot crap) have the ability to talk to the appliances via that protocol, because then all it will take is someone to discover a flaw in the 7-year-old version of linux that all these things are running, or a misconfiguration that exists across the software stacks of the 3 most popular smart-grid middleware providers. and on that point, i have a hard time believing that appliance makers can resist the temptation to add in features like "manage your kenmore appliances from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD with the kenmore app!" and bolting on some kind of wi-fi interface which is of course then managed by the same main CPU/SoC that also does the locked-down smart-grid protocol stuff

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

germany ...

really though you wouldn't show large-scale capabilities of that nature publicly unless you were effectively at war, like ukraine

yep

https://www.wired.com/2015/01/german-steel-mill-hack-destruction/

quote:

I’m referring to the revelation, in a German report released just before Christmas (.pdf), that hackers had struck an unnamed steel mill in Germany. They did so by manipulating and disrupting control systems to such a degree that a blast furnace could not be properly shut down, resulting in “massive”—though unspecified—damage.

[...]

The report doesn’t name the plant or indicate when the breach first occurred or how long the hackers were in the network before the destruction occurred. It’s also unclear if the attackers intended to cause the physical destruction or if this was simply collateral damage.

even though details have always been a bit vague about the incident, this is one of the primary reasons why i have been spending the past year dealing with industrial control poo poo

want to know what scares me the most?

a fully-automated haul truck

combine this with lack luster security in a lot of natural resource companies and you end up with a vehicle that can cause a lot of damage.

the upside to these things is that typically nobody is going to try and get air in these suckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iYj4WJvcB0

which was this truck:

or try and drift them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kdrtOgJ6OA

but it not out of the question that one could do some harmful poo poo with them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OSI bean dip posted:

yep

https://www.wired.com/2015/01/german-steel-mill-hack-destruction/

even though details have always been a bit vague about the incident, this is one of the primary reasons why i have been spending the past year dealing with industrial control poo poo

want to know what scares me the most?

combine this with lack luster security in a lot of natural resource companies and you end up with a vehicle that can cause a lot of damage.

the upside to these things is that typically nobody is going to try and get air in these suckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iYj4WJvcB0

which was this truck:

or try and drift them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kdrtOgJ6OA

but it not out of the question that one could do some harmful poo poo with them

are you saying Killdozer might be a realistic scenario except instead of ghosts it will be computer ghosts

because that would finally make terrible cyberpunk future cool again

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Security Fuckup Megathread: IoT webcams suck, IoT dryers are totally cool though

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

OSI bean dip posted:

thunderbirds is so close to being real

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

invision posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread: IoT webcams suck, IoT dryers are totally cool though

Actually it is IoT vacuums that suck

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
hackingteam :salt:: https://motherboard.vice.com/read/after-cellebrite-breach-hacking-team-lashes-out-against-vigilante-hackers

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

invision posted:

they're not internet devices at all, let alone internet of things devices.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fishmech posted:

they're not internet devices at all, let alone internet of things devices.

:byodood: But it has an ethernet port!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do you really think it is likely that all those devices will use different chips and totally unique custom software stacks? even across different manufacturers i would (again) bet money that we are going to see the exact same poo poo we've been seeing for years now in consumer routers and iot crap: they will all use cheapo misconfigured software stacks full of old non-updated FOSS stuff written in unsafe languages like C. "oh but the protocol is pretty limited"! sure that's great but even if it's very locked down, it will mean jack if these devices have any alternate communication modes, or if other devices (like laptops or iot crap) have the ability to talk to the appliances via that protocol, because then all it will take is someone to discover a flaw in the 7-year-old version of linux that all these things are running, or a misconfiguration that exists across the software stacks of the 3 most popular smart-grid middleware providers. and on that point, i have a hard time believing that appliance makers can resist the temptation to add in features like "manage your kenmore appliances from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD with the kenmore app!" and bolting on some kind of wi-fi interface which is of course then managed by the same main CPU/SoC that also does the locked-down smart-grid protocol stuff

I think the likely outcome is that for the sake of security the zigbee/whatever radio module will be kept as its own discrete component from the main control/firmware of the device with extreme limits on what can be passed between the two effectively neutering any ability to compromise it in a way beyond blasting garbage on the wireless link

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Um I clearly said clemency but what actually happened was sentence commuting therefore it doesn't count

:goonsay:

makes a big difference to her

she's got ~30 years of "sorry but your federally mandated background check came back and says you did some uh 'ultra crimes'? new one on me but we just can't have that associated with us here at Billy Bob's bargain basement grease trap cleaning. sorry. *beep*" to look forward to

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

for the sake of security

I'll believe it when I see it

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Munkeymon posted:

she's got ~30 years of "sorry but your federally mandated background check came back and says you did some uh 'ultra crimes'? new one on me but we just can't have that associated with us here at Billy Bob's bargain basement grease trap cleaning. sorry. *beep*" to look forward to

yes im sure a felony on her record is going to be the biggest impediment she'll face in her job search

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

i wonder if they're more careful about violating eu sanctions now or if they're just hoping they don't get busted again

anyway i agree that you should only hack people who commit major crimes like being gay in sudan

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Munkeymon posted:

i think for better or worse chelsea manning will have a pretty large number of job offers at non-profits and other orgs wanting to exploit her visibility when she gets out

the major concern i have is that she gets the mental help she needs addressing the very real PTSD and other issues she's going to have after dealing with the last seven years

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

PCjr sidecar posted:

yes im sure a felony on her record is going to be the biggest impediment she'll face in her job search

it's not but he can't wave a pen and cure psychological damage

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

pr0zac posted:

the major concern i have is that she gets the mental help she needs addressing the very real PTSD and other issues she's going to have after dealing with the last seven years

The major concern I have is that someone will hear about That Half Breed Muslin Terrist in the Black House letting his terrorist pervert pals free and deciding to rid Trump of a troublesome priest via high powered rifle.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

flosofl posted:

:byodood: But it has an ethernet port!

Actually it's an RJ-45 connector port :eng101:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Actually it's an RJ-45 connector port :eng101:

8P8C

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

why is the left one licking the right one's head?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

McGlockenshire posted:

why is the left one licking the right one's head?

Pretty sure it's a zombie having a snack.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

PCjr sidecar posted:

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pr0zac posted:

i think for better or worse chelsea manning will have a pretty large number of job offers at non-profits and other orgs wanting to exploit her visibility when she gets out

if you get pardoned for a crime that resulted in your being dishonourably discharged does the discharge change to an honourable one?

if so, she could probably be covered by the VA. in theory. in reality dealing with the VA sucks enough when you aren't considered by the vast majority of the US military to be a traitor to America

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

she wasn't pardoned, her sentence was commuted

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

if you get pardoned for a crime that resulted in your being dishonourably discharged does the discharge change to an honourable one?

if so, she could probably be covered by the VA. in theory. in reality dealing with the VA sucks enough when you aren't considered by the vast majority of the US military to be a traitor to America

she wasn't pardoned, her sentence was commuted. she's still guilty.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

oh welp

yeah she's hosed but one of the ten thousand non profits that will offer her a position will almost certainly pay for her psych stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

zigbee devices and wifi internet of things devices are in very different worlds. a "powerful" edge device is running on something like a cortex m4, a m0 or an 8bit micro will be more typical. these edge devices will communicate with the power company's routers which hopefully has a backhaul over an air gapped network.

those routers would certainly be vulnerable, but the edge devices don't seem like they'd be a very good target.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

ate all the Oreos posted:

she wasn't pardoned, her sentence was commuted. she's still guilty.

technically a pardon implies guilt if you accept it as well (at least this is what Ford told himself so he could sleep at night)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

the precursor to smart grid appliances were ones that use RCC signaling to clock sync but that's utc so you have to set the time zone and people barely tolerate programming their microwave and stove so who the hell is going to do it on their fridge. and that does absolutely nothing for providing signalling for on/off peak rates to save you money or responding to brown out scenarios. are you actually interested in learning anything or are you just going to continue down this road?

That's actually pretty interesting info, so thanks. I still imagine a world where everyone has a smart meter and everyone has an appliance with one of these ports on the back, but 90% of them aren't plugged into anything/don't function but I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on the whole consumer laziness front.

pr0zac posted:

If she's up to it I imagine she could make a living from professional speaking or even writing a book, she's got the profile and a unique experience for it - although I wonder whether she'll be under any restrictions when it comes to talking to people about what happened. That could really impact her ability to get a job.

As you say, I hope at the very least she get's therapy for coming to terms with the hell she's clearly been through as a result of this. I always thought that where Snowden may have leaked things with a pretty solid plan about how things were going to go down, Manning always struck me as someone who was rather naive about the chances of getting caught and the consequences.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 18, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

I think the likely outcome is that for the sake of security the zigbee/whatever radio module will be kept as its own discrete component from the main control/firmware of the device with extreme limits on what can be passed between the two effectively neutering any ability to compromise it in a way beyond blasting garbage on the wireless link

on one had, we could separate these two components for security purposes. on the other we could combine them and save fractions of a penny per device.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Wheany posted:

on one had, we could separate these two components for security purposes. on the other we could combine them and save fractions of a penny per device.

Jesus gently caress this derail is getting so tiring. The whole idea is that if the device knows some poo poo's going down with the electrical grid that choices will be made with regard to power consumption. The whole thing is to save on power when it's most loving expensive. The whole thing is meant to save everybody money. Whether those savings actually trickle down is something I really doubt, but it's a possibility.

Putting another device outside the device that needs to make decisions won't loving do anything. The device itself still needs to use the information to make decisions so it's still going to need a tiny chip reading the input and doing that calculation the same as is already happening. In your scenario we don't shave fractions of a penny. We double the cost because now you need your washer to interface with a separate thing that then interfaces with a packet from the electrical grid saying, "yo poo poo's gently caress, spin cycle later, bitch or enjoy the extra $1.00 on your electric bill" in the name of some nebulous concept of security.

That RJ45 jack isn't doing ethernet. It's not a loving botnet. Pull your heads out of your asses for just a moment. IoT is poo poo. This has nothing to do with IoT. It has to do with everybody trying as hard as loving possible to save :10bux: and electricity on every side.

I know this thread is for insufferable assholes who think they know better (me included), but please everybody just listen to Fishmech and Shaggar for once. One's good cop, one's bad cop.. they both agree!

ErIog fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 18, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah but someone will still gently caress it up somehow and then we will all have a good laugh.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

cheese-cube posted:

yeah but someone will still gently caress it up somehow and then we will all have a good laugh.

Guarantee they will, but right now there's so much more IoT low-hanging fruit than a loving washer nobody will ever plug an RJ-45 into because the standards won't exist for years.

Let's all talk about it in 2022.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

agreedo. also assuming that whatever is on the other end of rj45 jack speaks ethernet is a kind of dumb assumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ErIog posted:

Jesus gently caress this derail is getting so tiring. The whole idea is that if the device knows some poo poo's going down with the electrical grid that choices will be made with regard to power consumption. The whole thing is to save on power when it's most loving expensive. The whole thing is meant to save everybody money. Whether those savings actually trickle down is something I really doubt, but it's a possibility.

Putting another device outside the device that needs to make decisions won't loving do anything. The device itself still needs to use the information to make decisions so it's still going to need a tiny chip reading the input and doing that calculation the same as is already happening. In your scenario we don't shave fractions of a penny. We double the cost because now you need your washer to interface with a separate thing that then interfaces with a packet from the electrical grid saying, "yo poo poo's gently caress, spin cycle later, bitch or enjoy the extra $1.00 on your electric bill" in the name of some nebulous concept of security.

That RJ45 jack isn't doing ethernet. It's not a loving botnet. Pull your heads out of your asses for just a moment. IoT is poo poo. This has nothing to do with IoT. It has to do with everybody trying as hard as loving possible to save :10bux: and electricity on every side.

I know this thread is for insufferable assholes who think they know better (me included), but please everybody just listen to Fishmech and Shaggar for once. One's good cop, one's bad cop.. they both agree!

nice meltdown

• Locked thread