Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Dave posted:

I'm pretty happy that I missed the era of having children that need giant tube TVs and then a full desktop computer with CRT and when I have kids they'll just care about their phone.

That was me, I was that kid with a huge 32" CRT TV and a 19" CRT monitor in my bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ohgodwhat posted:

They don't give loans to black people? What?

It's the systemic process of societal disinvestment in a neighborhood because of race or other similar factors. Not giving out loans was(is) one manifestation, other examples include hiring a black family to move in and push a stroller around to scare the white tenants into selling their land cheap and buying into expensive new suburbs, profiting real estate developers on both ends.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

GreenNight posted:

That was me, I was that kid with a huge 32" CRT TV and a 19" CRT monitor in my bedroom.

Oh I was too. Add a giant cd boom box above the TV and it's incredible how much poo poo was packed into my room growing up.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's the systemic process of societal disinvestment in a neighborhood because of race or other similar factors. Not giving out loans was(is) one manifestation, other examples include hiring a black family to move in and push a stroller around to scare the white tenants into selling their land cheap and buying into expensive new suburbs, profiting real estate developers on both ends.

Specifically, the GreatSchools ratings help pearl-clutching white people know where not to move without a realtor risking their poo poo through steering.

It's worth doing some research into the less obvious tactics that sprung up around/after redlining.

http://www.lajollalight.com/sdljl-a-specter-from-our-past-longtime-residents-will-2005apr07-story,amp.html?client=safari

Realtors would put a placard in the dash of their car as they pulled up with clients to let the seller know not to accept offers from them.

Think about this:

State passes a voucher system that favors private schools by taking more per student from the districts budget than the marginal cost of educating each student. GreatSchools then plainly shows the public schools with ratings of 1-2 and some private schools that participate as 8-10. They also show the distances to each. People with means move in to those districts and then pull money away from public schools to send their kids to private. This concentrates until the districts are barely operating or must send kids to other districts. This causes some degree of poor flight and devalues low-end properties. They then get snapped up and flipped to be sold to higher income people that can afford to send their kids to private school as well.

I've seen this pattern happen in a few places I've lived. It's hosed up and a quick way to gentrify lower-density suburbs, such as first-ring burbs just beyond urban centers.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
27" tube TV and a 21" CRT monitor. I still remember how thrilled I was to get my first GPU with TV out so that I wouldn't have to constantly switch the cable, I immediately realized TVs suck for PC monitors. Today my wife and I only have two TVs, in the living room and basement. "TV in bed" is handled by Netflix. I have my desktop for work, wife hasn't touched her laptop in years. . . Phones and tablets are just taking over.

Alereon posted:

I am not endorsing this site but here is a good summary of why some people would say this: How the Greatschools rating system promotes segregation. Basically the school rating only measures how poor the students are, not how good the school is. Greatschools is the data source for the school ratings on real estate sites.
I worked for the local public school for 6 years, this is far more true than I want to admit. My town is extra hosed because so many people here moved from tiny hick towns with people who had never seen a black person in real life before they came to the city. So now like drat near the whole west 1/3 of the city is not part of the city public schools, nope their kids get bused to 4 other small town districts about 10 miles away. The east side has a ridiculous number of $10k a year private schools. . .

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

Specifically, the GreatSchools ratings help pearl-clutching white people know where not to move without a realtor risking their poo poo through steering.

It's worth doing some research into the less obvious tactics that sprung up around/after redlining.

http://www.lajollalight.com/sdljl-a-specter-from-our-past-longtime-residents-will-2005apr07-story,amp.html?client=safari

Realtors would put a placard in the dash of their car as they pulled up with clients to let the seller know not to accept offers from them.

Think about this:

State passes a voucher system that favors private schools by taking more per student from the districts budget than the marginal cost of educating each student. GreatSchools then plainly shows the public schools with ratings of 1-2 and some private schools that participate as 8-10. They also show the distances to each. People with means move in to those districts and then pull money away from public schools to send their kids to private. This concentrates until the districts are barely operating or must send kids to other districts. This causes some degree of poor flight and devalues low-end properties. They then get snapped up and flipped to be sold to higher income people that can afford to send their kids to private school as well.

I've seen this pattern happen in a few places I've lived. It's hosed up and a quick way to gentrify lower-density suburbs, such as first-ring burbs just beyond urban centers.

I understand where your coming from but what is a good source of school ratings? A lot of people are justifiably concerned with living in good public school districts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Leviathan Song posted:

I understand where your coming from but what is a good source of school ratings? A lot of people are justifiably concerned with living in good public school districts.

The american public school funding system is really the crappiest of all constructions.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The worst thing is that it would be fixed, or at least level out, if public school rating systems were banned. But that's impossible.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah for the most part it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Where I live schools are funded by huge school boards that cover most of the region, and they receive a lot of their funding from the province, not local property taxes. This means that every school is funded pretty much the same, there's no rich schools or poor schools. Kids pretty much have to go to the nearest school, so a school in a poor area will "perform" worse than in a rich area, but that's nothing to do with the school and people sending their kid across town to go to the "rich" school will just make things worse. But since there's barely any difference between schools, no one is really freaked out about min/maxing their kid's education (and this isn't asia so it's not like being in the #32nd ranked elementary school instead of the #31st means your kid's entire future is ruined, no one gives a gently caress, elementary school is just daycare where they learn social skills).

On the construction front, all the schools in my area where built between 1900-1950 so they were all death traps. It was a huge project but they removed hazardous materials and did earthquake safety improvements on them, finally bringing all the schools up to code. They also used the whole process to change around some of the schools to better reflect their current uses. A few schools in areas with way less kids had some of their space converted into community centre space for example.

In a neighbouring city though it's a very different story. It's the same problem with old schools that will explode into a shower of asbestos at the smallest earthquake, but they haven't been upgrading them. Why? Well the government blames the union, and the union blames the government. The union says the upgrades are all a plot to fire teachers and reduce the number of schools and teachers. The government says that with so many fewer kids they need to downsize, consolidate, or eliminate some schools as part of the project since demographics have changed since the turn of the century when most of those schools were started. Neither side seems to want to compromise at all, so in the meantime all the kids gets to continue to go to school in deathtraps.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Here (FL, but I know a lot of US states are similar) it's the exact opposite. Schools are ranked by standardized testing results, and the schools that do the best get the most funding. Which is loving asinine, clearly the schools doing badly need more help than the ones already doing well, right? But nope, the smooth, quiet wheel gets the grease.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Enourmo posted:

Here (FL, but I know a lot of US states are similar) it's the exact opposite. Schools are ranked by standardized testing results, and the schools that do the best get the most funding. Which is loving asinine, clearly the schools doing badly need more help than the ones already doing well, right? But nope, the smooth, quiet wheel gets the grease.

It comes from the assumption that poor performance is due to lack of motivation on the part of the folks running the school. This dovetails handily with union busting attempts, but mostly it's a function of the sheer number of people who don't and won't believe that some people get dealt better hands than others. Accepting this would involve facing too many unpleasant realities, even beyond racism.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We should get rid of engineering and use a performance and merit based system. Measure the stresses on structural members and reward the structure that is handling the weight of the building well with more shoring up and stronger materials, but punish over-loaded structural members by reducing them in size. This will provide incentives for the structure of a building to be strong and make our buildings successful and competitive.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have no doubt people literally believe that if you start "rewarding" schools for doing badly, they will start to game the system and schools will do worse as a whole. Because all financial transactions are strictly about rewarding the worthy and everything else is godless communism.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We sort of do that here. If a school performs badly for long enough, it enters 'Turnaround' status where it gets additional funding and programs and partnerships to try and get it on the right track. The catch is that when a school goes into Turnaround, they fire the entire staff - the administrators are basically out, and all the teachers have to re-apply for their jobs with the new administration. So its pretty dramatic and means a lot of people get turned out.

In addition, once a turnaround school starts doing better, it loses the additional funding and partnerships that helped get it there. This happened with one of my coworkers - their kid was in a Turnaround school and so they got additional funding for tutors, and partnered with a local IT school to provide a mobile computer lab (basically a cart of tablets that could come to different classrooms). Their scores improved, they started hitting targets, and once that happened they lost the money for the tutors and the partnership perks. I'm sure removing all the changes that helped them won't have any bad effect though! :downs:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Around here "underperforming" schools lose their state accreditation meaning students can't graduate high school if their middle school lost accreditation while they attended, and they have to take extra courses to "make it up". This does wonders for graduation rates in poor areas as you can imagine.

Another unfortunate side effect of this pertains to what we call "governors schools", which are part of the public system but have restricted attendance based on "merit". If your kid is going to an unaccredited middle school they aren't eligible to move to a governor school even if they otherwise qualify based on testing. So again the poor and disadvantaged get hosed.

Help guys my white guilt is approaching 400lb status.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

moist turtleneck posted:

are we just going to ignore the doorknob in the wall or

That's the holder for the dick rag. I like using a bidet when it is available. If I had room in my bathroom, I'd install one. Nothing like that fresh feeling after a quick bidet wash. Much more convenient than taking off all your clothes just to wash your butthole.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
oh poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS0MBaTEZ_Y

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Some strikingly beauitful illustrations of why one should hire a good home inspector.
http://www.startribune.com/top-20-home-inspection-photos-from-2016/410726955/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love the paint around the couch picture because it's harmless but so bafflingly lazy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Some strikingly beauitful illustrations of why one should hire a good home inspector.
I looked at the 2014 pictures from the links at the end, and:

Nice and toasty.

And from 2013:

quote:

Soffit Bone – This was a flipped house in Minneapolis that had a bone sticking out of the soffit right above the front door. Why? How? No idea.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That guy's blog is pretty entertaining: http://structuretech1.com/blog/

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The american public school funding system is really the crappiest of all constructions.

Of all the problems with public schools in America, funding isn't anywhere near the top. We spend well more than other OECD nations on K-12 education with little to show for it, and many poor schools districts spend at levels comparable to or above high performing rich ones (check the annual budgets of places like Newark, NJ; Washington, DC; or Detroit). The Abbott districts in NJ (like Newark) are all funded at high levels and none are at all well regarded.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neutrino posted:

That's the holder for the dick rag. I like using a bidet when it is available. If I had room in my bathroom, I'd install one. Nothing like that fresh feeling after a quick bidet wash. Much more convenient than taking off all your clothes just to wash your butthole.

You do know that you can install a butt washer into a normal toilet, right? We're living in the future here.

As little as a $40 for a basic model. https://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Neo-120-Non-Electric/dp/B00A0RHSJO

Or a few hundred for a model that does warm water and blow dries your butt for you. https://www.amazon.com/SmartBidet-SB-2000-Electronic-Temperature-Controlled/dp/B00GIODM6G

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

devicenull posted:

I did not realize vinyl could melt from reflected sunlight. Seems like a bad material to use for the siding of a house...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

devicenull posted:

Help! I accidentally ended up in the kickass construction thread.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Facebook Aunt posted:

You do know that you can install a butt washer into a normal toilet, right? We're living in the future here.

Or a few hundred for a model that does warm water and blow dries your butt for you. https://www.amazon.com/SmartBidet-SB-2000-Electronic-Temperature-Controlled/dp/B00GIODM6G

:vince:

There is a god

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Alright so is it just clamping or is it grounding too?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

Think it's a towel knob for the bidet. Avoid drip dry.

Only house I lived in with a bidet was in Cannes. Our cats would sleep in it.

The idea of a bidet - at least, back in the '70s when I lived there & was so told - was that the French do/did not shower every day. They would use the bidet & washcloths & such, and take a shower/bath once or twice a week.

Locals I knew thought Americans had a cleanliness fetish.

I usually just wipe with regular TP after I bidet.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

What's the rated tensile strength of Ethernet cable? Solid or stranded?

As an experienced IT monkey, "no", "gently caress off", "gently caress you" and "you haven't bought me nearly enough rum".

EDIT: For Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6 UTP and Cat6 S/FTP respectively.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 18, 2017

mshade
Jul 13, 2001
Below are two images that represent the top down view of a door framing and jamb installation, and a wire running vertically up the framing, along with a finish nail to attach the jamb to the framing. The top image is what any sane person would expect for the wire location. The bottom image is what the builders of my house thought was a great idea. I have no idea why you would take the time to route out a channel in the jack stud to run a wire up other than to sabotage the homeowner 30 years later when they need to rebuild the door jamb. The nail shorted the wire and now I'll have no power in that room until I can fish a wire down through my wall and into the basement so I can re-connect this section of the circuit and abandon this fire hazard wire routing in my wall.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Platystemon posted:

Help! I accidentally ended up in the kickass construction thread.

drat, that crawlspace is nicer than most basements.

And it said it was Minnesota...why wouldn't they just have done a full basement? Are basements not a thing in Minnesota? I thought most northern states tended to go basement over crawlspace because of the weather.

Though I guess in this case it's not like most crawlspaces that are uninsulated foundation over dirt, so it probably functions as well as a full basement.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

And it said it was Minnesota...why wouldn't they just have done a full basement? Are basements not a thing in Minnesota? I thought most northern states tended to go basement over crawlspace because of the weather.

Though I guess in this case it's not like most crawlspaces that are uninsulated foundation over dirt, so it probably functions as well as a full basement.

My dad has a nice crawlspace like that in NJ. The reason his is not a basement is because the water table is too high.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

DrBouvenstein posted:

You see crawlspaces frequently in those areas in split level homes. My house's lowest level is half 7' finished space and half 3' crawlspace that looks just like that.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

As little as a $40 for a basic model. https://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Neo-120-Non-Electric/dp/B00A0RHSJO

I would never poo poo in my shower. Combining a toilet and bidet in one unit sounds kind of disgusting.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Neutrino posted:

I would never poo poo in my shower
A bold stance among goons.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Neutrino posted:

I would never poo poo in my shower. Combining a toilet and bidet in one unit sounds kind of disgusting.

The japanese have been doing this for decades and they're a very clean society

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They're at the forefront of bidet technology

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/17/14306464/japanese-toilet-control-icons-meaning-standard

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I find all this discussion very entertaining because for no specific reason I have a bidet arriving on Friday. Perhaps I'll make a photo log of the install just for fun. It's a bolt on, not a whole standalone unit, but I did opt for the one with the hot water line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Make sure you have tons of pressure in that water line. Got to get right up there for a fresh, clean feeling.