Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm so annoyed Joker doesn't have a mustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

And this *has* to be where Black Dynamite got that Anaconda Malt Liquor chain of reasoning scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXKYQvP0zQ0

Oh yeah, that was a very deliberate homage.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the reunion animated movie they did last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0jBRFNAXr8
Return to the Batcave is also quite fun. It's a weird mix of a Batman episode and retrospective where Adam West and Burt Ward have to solve Riddler clues through flashbacks to filming the original tv series.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Everyone plays it completely straight too. There isn't a single wink or nudge in sight. They were real comedy pros.

That's what threw me off for the show. I'd see clips and think "oh, they just picked the one bit that's weird." It wasn't until I saw a full episode that I realized they were in on the joke and went full ham the whole time.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the reunion animated movie they did last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0jBRFNAXr8

Whoa, that's a pretty good Burgess Meredith impression.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

I'm so annoyed Joker doesn't have a mustache.

It's underneath the white makeup.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I think a big part of me being such a humour-driven idiot is the fact that I grew up watching Batman '66, Get Smart and Rocky & Bullwinkle and didn't realize any of them were supposed to be silly comedies until much later.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Whoa, that's a pretty good Burgess Meredith impression.

The Romero and Gorshin aren't quite as good, sadly.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

flosofl posted:

And this *has* to be where Black Dynamite got that Anaconda Malt Liquor chain of reasoning scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXKYQvP0zQ0

The telegram guy asking "anyone here called 'Batman'?" comes off as extremely passive aggressive and hilarious.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

flosofl posted:

No. Only the 1966 movie is on Netflix/Amazon Prime

You can buy the seasons on iTunes/Amazon. Each season is $29, seasons 1-3 have 30 eps. and season 4 has 26 eps.

I know this, because I was hunting around for it last weekend.

If you have cable, the MeTV network also runs Batman (plus Wonder Woman, Incredible Hulk, and a bunch of other '70s SF shows) on Saturday nights.

And that show is the reason I'm a comics fan today. I watched reruns when I was a kid, and that naturally led me to Batman comics.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Reruns of Batman 66 were my first exposure to the character and superheros in general too. That and a little black and white digest size reprint of "The Untold Legend of the Batman", which is still one of my favorite Batman stories. Then it was 1989 and suddenly Batman was everywhere. I didn't actually get to see it in theaters because I was seven and it was rated pg-13. My parents were very literal.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ManlyGrunting posted:

Reposting from the Newspaper Spiderman thread

Newspaper Spiderman is too pure for this world. :allears:

I am deeply upset that the Spiderverse tie-in didn't go like this.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

purple death ray posted:

Reruns of Batman 66 were my first exposure to the character and superheros in general too. That and a little black and white digest size reprint of "The Untold Legend of the Batman", which is still one of my favorite Batman stories. Then it was 1989 and suddenly Batman was everywhere. I didn't actually get to see it in theaters because I was seven and it was rated pg-13. My parents were very literal.

Heh, this is basically my childhood except it was the second issue of Untold Legend, along with an audio cassette version of the story with the most ridiculous theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=883hjPTjvv4

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

When I was a kid I didn't have cable (:corsair:) and so I didn't get Batman The Animated Series, so my only exposure to Batman were reruns of the 66 live action show, which I was too young to identify as deliberate camp, and the Tim Burton movie. I was under the impression Batman was extremely ridiculous and dumb and didn't understand why some of my friends thought he was cool.

I had kind of the opposite experience. I watched BTAS all the time as a kid and so when my dad asked if I wanted to watch the Batman movie I was psyched as hell. He pulled out a copy of the 66 version on VHS and he was loving it while I was appalled.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My brother went with a friend to watch Keaton Batman but since we were super poor people I stayed home with my mom. She felt bad and borrowed a VCR and the Batman 66 movie from a friend and I was hooked on that. They also showed it on TV quite a bit and I would watch episodes every chance I could.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

I had kind of the opposite experience. I watched BTAS all the time as a kid and so when my dad asked if I wanted to watch the Batman movie I was psyched as hell. He pulled out a copy of the 66 version on VHS and he was loving it while I was appalled.

Cool dad. :thumbsup:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I mostly watched Bats 66 over the air on a lovely CRT sitting on the floor of my aunt's basement on Sunday afternoons. Rewatching it on crisp DVD on my big LCD didn't invoke quite the same feelings.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cuchulain posted:

The telegram guy asking "anyone here called 'Batman'?" comes off as extremely passive aggressive and hilarious.

"It's another Riddlergram" slays me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Growing up as a kid in Canada, Global used to run BTAS and Batman 66 reruns back to back. So I was the lucky kid who got them both. I loved both versions of Batman.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I used to watch ol' Batman as part of a Saturday morning block at the start of the nineties. That was back when we had just one commercial television channel, all the others were state-owned or foreign. I'm guessing it was a cheap way to fill the airtime.

That was a recurring theme as we got more and more TV stations. Several years later one of them aired The Guyver anime on Sunday afternoons. It was a bit more violent and featured more screaming than what we usually got, I'll tell you that much.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

The movie is slightly overdone even by the standards of the series, but is a pretty good way to get a feel for it if the goal is to try before you commit to the deluxe Blu-ray box set which I definitely don't lovingly display on my bookshelf where it can be quickly accessed at any time.

Lmao if you don't have it hidden behind a bookcase that opens when you open a bust of William Shakespeare and turn a switch.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
I grew up on the '66 re-runs as well but also benefited from Super-Friends and Spiderman (both live action and animated, stand-alone and Electric Company).

They got us easy.

Throw in Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man and Thundercats while you're at it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Perry Normal posted:

I think a big part of me being such a humour-driven idiot is the fact that I grew up watching Batman '66, Get Smart and Rocky & Bullwinkle and didn't realize any of them were supposed to be silly comedies until much later.

I watched a lot of Britcoms on PBS, things like Are You Being Served and Waiting for God. The immersion in deadpan snark prepared me well for the internet.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was too young for Super Friends. I didn't get to see it until high school when our local cable package picked up cartoon network, where it was on reruns. That's where the famous "Solomon Grundy want pants too!" came from.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

I was too young for Super Friends. I didn't get to see it until high school when our local cable package picked up cartoon network, where it was on reruns. That's where the famous "Solomon Grundy want pants too!" came from.

To clarify a little, The pants thing came from a a commercial that Cartoon Network, and not from an actual Super Friends episode.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Are you sure that's not an edit? I'm 90% sure the font is Anime Ace.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's from an ad.

edit, it took considerable googling to find the original

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 20, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I do believe it's an edit, I've seen the original before. I think it's actually from an old advertisement. If I'm not mistaken it's half of a full page ad.

EDIT: ^^ Yes that's it, but that's still an edit of the original.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
It's an edit, this is the original:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Frank Beam sounds just as dirty.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
No matter what he's saying, Jughead seems just as displeased

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

And is it just me or is Veronica looking a little :downs:?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SomeMathGuy posted:

I think that's just the '40s art style.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

SomeMathGuy posted:

She looks like she's ready to punch Archie in his face.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I like that Jughead's whoopee cap looks significantly less crownlike.

... I would not complain if the whoopee cap made a comeback. Mostly because they were apparently made from fedoras.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

No matter what he's saying, Jughead seems just as displeased

Jughead's all about hamburgers.

Or is that Wimpy?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SomeMathGuy posted:

She's got a little bit of the Shadow over Innsmouth going on.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Dareon posted:

I like that Jughead's whoopee cap looks significantly less crownlike.

... I would not complain if the whoopee cap made a comeback. Mostly because they were apparently made from fedoras.

You'd take dad's old fedora and cut up the brim. Over time, Jug's just got more and more stylized.

Original era Archie comics are an amazing trice of period slang and trivia. Like Veronica being a sub-deb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If Say Nothing posts a panel it's a safe bet that it's an edit.