Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'm surprised they can get away with 17 minute episodes. I thought they were obligated to be around 22 minutes?

I would expect it was the network, not the authors who dictate how long episodes should be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The fact that the only positive relationship Dennis has ever had is teaching a little girl how to be a better thief says a lot about how hosed up he is as a person.

Whoa there, partner. Didn't you learn anything from this episode?

He didn't teach a little girl how to be a better thief. He taught a thief how to be an artist.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The fact that the only positive relationship Dennis has ever had is teaching a little girl how to be a better thief says a lot about how hosed up he is as a person.

I'm pretty sure EVERYTHING in the show says a lot about how hosed up he is as a person. We didn't learn anything new last episode, but it sure was fun.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If we're still arguing about whether Dennis was upset or not, just rewatch that final scene after he berates Abby's "mom", after he shooshes her (who shooshes people???) he has an awestruck expression on his face and then he begins nodding approvingly. He is not upset at all.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If we're still arguing about whether Dennis was upset or not, just rewatch that final scene after he berates Abby's "mom", after he shooshes her (who shooshes people???) he has an awestruck expression on his face and then he begins nodding approvingly. He is not upset at all.

Yeah, I don't think he's upset. The student has become the (or a) master, and in his mind, it's all because of his guidance.

He's not just an artist. He's an artist who is a golden god. A golden god would nod approvingly at his creation, even if--nay, especially if--that creation used her newly developed skills to pull the wool over his eyes. The fact that he himself was tricked by her just validates his expertise. In fact, I think he would be disappointed if he'd caught her while she was stealing the key from him.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Game recognize game, as they say.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Game recognize game, as they say.

A fisherman always sees another fisherman from afar.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok but at 17 minutes they could have at least maybe written how Abby knew to go prey on Dennis's lie. Like I just rewatched the intro and Abbey just walking up to Dennis makes like Zero Sense

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok but at 17 minutes they could have at least maybe written how Abby knew to go prey on Dennis's lie. Like I just rewatched the intro and Abbey just walking up to Dennis makes like Zero Sense

It's an old trick (or urban legend) - kid finds a mark who is in a situation where he would be embarrassed to refuse a small favor / to get into an argument. In this case she knew Dennis was flirting with that lady, and so would be vulnerable.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, that's actually a pretty standard thing. Whether it happens in real life is whatever, but it's a VERY common trope. It's a dude hitting on a girl, there's no way he's going to argue with a little kid in front of a chick he wants to bang. Better to just give her a couple bucks and get her out of there.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

You can see her standing like five feet behind Dennis when he starts hitting on that woman and talking about his daughter. She was easily within earshot.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Yup, deffo within earshot range:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Even though this carried kind of a sweet moment for Dennis, I have a suspicion that she comes back and he ends up like either getting her taken away from her parents or worse we see some real Golden God type poo poo and he will like full on Eric Cartman "I made you eat your parents" style destroy her life over getting flimflammed. I don't see it ending any other way.

The Mac butthole gag went under the table for me, I love "Mac is gay" jokes but Mac warning people to stay away from the drains so he could keep them all to himself seemed uncharacteristically lazy.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He kept mentioning how they should stay away even though the temptation might be irresistible, it's just another case of Mac being Mac.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

The Mac butthole gag went under the table for me, I love "Mac is gay" jokes but Mac warning people to stay away from the drains so he could keep them all to himself seemed uncharacteristically lazy.

How did you see it as lazy? If anything it took proactiveness and forethought. He'd been looking forward to that hole all day.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
'Positive relationships' Dennis Reynolds has had off the top of my head:
Yan
Chase Utley
Country Mac
Agent Jack Bauer
The British
EDIT: the 'dead guy' in Dee's hospital bed
Granted there's probably not anymore

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 16, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mameluke posted:

He'd been looking forward to that hole all day.

He didn't even have to pay the troll toll!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh my god I just caught up.

The loving end of that episode killed me. Mac's poo poo eating grin.

:laffo:

E: So good

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 17, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Super Deuce posted:

Uh, the only thing Dennis does is care about stuff. That's like, his thing. He's neurotic. Like... that's all he has ever done in the whole series is care about himself. So it's totally cool he just lets this person walk away without doing anything? It's clearly a bizarre thing to let happen for the character.

I'm sorry for your terminal case of Assburgers and inability to understand context.

Try again.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

I'm sorry for your terminal case of Assburgers and inability to understand context.

Try again.

You're right but you can say so while being both more of an rear end in a top hat and less of one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A084sQy8Oc

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just discovered this show. Am currently watching S2, The Gang Exploits a Miracle

Hooooly cow none of these guys knows how to step on the brakes right

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'm tickled pink that every netflix episode description is always something like [Dennis/Mac/Charlie/Dee/Frank] does something awful while [Dennis/Mac/Charlie/Dee/Frank] does something related and even worse

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
yesssss keep posting while you watch, I'm a sucker for that poo poo.

hughesta fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 18, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yes, please. None of us have been new to the show in quite some time. It will be nice to relive seeing these for the first time, again, through you.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It's blowing my mind how season 1 starts with some lowkey psychosis but then by season 2 all bets are off and everybody's a cartoon character and that is absolutely not a complaint or a bad thing

Like what were people's reactions to Charlie? Was he headlining every single "Top character find of 2005" lists?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Hooooly cow none of these guys knows how to step on the brakes right

This exact metaphor is used in the show in season 7.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

drunken officeparty posted:

Can you prove you don't have donkey brains?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Like I imagine the script looks something like
Character 1: <improv your character wanting to do something horrible and illegal>
Character 2: <improv agreeing, and then crank it up to 11>

EDIT: And then it's like, beat

The Gang Does Something Horrible

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Hahah oh my god Frank totally is Charlie's dad and I love how Charlie's mom essentially says she tried to have him aborted after her second trimester, these jokes are super good and morbid

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Hahah oh my god Frank totally is Charlie's dad and I love how Charlie's mom essentially says she tried to have him aborted after her second trimester, these jokes are super good and morbid

Yup, she tried but it didn't take.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Calaveron posted:

Like I imagine the script looks something like
Character 1: <improv your character wanting to do something horrible and illegal>
Character 2: <improv agreeing, and then crank it up to 11>

EDIT: And then it's like, beat

The Gang Does Something Horrible

IASIP in a nutshell.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The Gang Gets Taken Hostage feels like a real turning point now. And this show has 12 seasons? How does it keep topping itself?

EDIT: Oh poo poo Judy Greer is the perfect way of topping yourself

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 18, 2017

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Calaveron posted:

The Gang Gets Taken Hostage feels like a real turning point now. And this show has 12 seasons? How does it keep topping itself?

beautifully.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Calaveron posted:

By not limiting themselves based on what is considered distasteful. Also, S10 is arguably the best they have done.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also Don't forget the priest from the gang exploit a miracle, he becomes an important character later.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

David D. Davidson posted:

Also Don't forget the priest from the gang exploit a miracle, he becomes an important character later.

He's kinda hard to forget.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

That voice oh my god

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

EDIT: Oh poo poo Judy Greer is the perfect way of topping yourself

Later seasons will reward you for watching everything previously. Welcome to the gang!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

He's also a writer on the show so makes sense that he wants to get real weird with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waltzing Along posted:

By not limiting themselves based on what is considered distasteful. Also, S10 is arguably the best they have done.

This is incorrect fat mac is the best season.