Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the new Grand Wagoneer or whatever it's called will be a Ramcharger type vehicle built on the same line and using the same underpinnings as the next gen Ram truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aren't jeeps always unibody?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

Aren't jeeps always unibody?

Not the Wrangler at least, but no one knew what this new one was going to be and speculated it might be some new unibody grand cherokee derivative but looks like it isn't.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

butterbar posted:

If you want an old man car just buy a Genesis. It probably costs the same

I already have 100 oil drain plug washers so I will stick with 3.5 L toyota forever.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

I already have 100 oil drain plug washers so I will stick with 3.5 L toyota forever.

Good news, it'll be with you too... forever

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Throatwarbler posted:

So the new Grand Wagoneer or whatever it's called will be a Ramcharger type vehicle built on the same line and using the same underpinnings as the next gen Ram truck.

Well, they're shooting for the escalade, so i guess this isn't really a bad thing. I'm still curious what the "jeep pickup" will be, but I'm guessing that might be a revived scrambler (I can dream).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Good news, it'll be with you too... forever

I hope to use all 100 on my mini van. It is only 500k miles.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

Well, they're shooting for the escalade, so i guess this isn't really a bad thing. I'm still curious what the "jeep pickup" will be, but I'm guessing that might be a revived scrambler (I can dream).

It's a Wrangler with a bed.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Sole Survivor posted:

Close enough for me, unless they screw it up that's what I've wanted for a while.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BigPaddy posted:

If you tick every option sure but if you want to drive it then you are going to keep the manual box and not get heavy leather seats, sun roof etc.... I think my 2013 GTI had an invoice price of $24k.

A DSG Autobahn GTI drives just fine.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Both of these cars are fabulous but google the curb weight for both!

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Throatwarbler posted:

So they're finally making that BOF Tahoe/Suburban clone they should have made 20+ years ago?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

On one hand a new SRT Demon with a stupid video.

On the other more cheating allegations

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

FCA: We are killing the Viper since there is no market for stupidly fast toys.

* leaks about SRT Demon with uprated Hellcat engine start to appear *

FCA: Shoo shoo there is no such thing!

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

Sole Survivor posted:

Watch it be another Jeep Compass instead

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sole Survivor posted:

You can get a Wrangler conversion with a bed and it looks ridiculous

Expensive too, I think that red one had $90k or so sticker (worthless NZD but still)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, but that fuckin cherokee beside it looks like it has $57k in the window and those aren't worth gently caress all in the developed world so that $90k nzd is probably like 40-45k usd.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

dissss posted:

You can get a Wrangler conversion with a bed and it looks ridiculous

Expensive too, I think that red one had $90k or so sticker (worthless NZD but still)

Looks like the old Scrambler. I have nothing bad to say about it. And yeah, like he said up there, the cherokee looks like hammered dog poo poo by comparison. I wish they still looked like the early 90s ones. God they were so good.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

BloodBag posted:

Looks like the old Scrambler. I have nothing bad to say about it. And yeah, like he said up there, the cherokee looks like hammered dog poo poo by comparison. I wish they still looked like the early 90s ones. God they were so good.

If it gives you solace, the 90s Cherokee lives on in China, where they sold all the tooling

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

butterbar posted:

If it gives you solace, the 90s Cherokee lives on in China, where they sold all the tooling

Gaz volga tried the same thing in 08 with the chrysler sebring, and it was so bad it killed the brand taking the Gaz 31105 with it.

The sebring is so bad even the russians wouldn't buy it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I was amused and horrified when I read that GAZ bought the Sebring tooling. Considering how horrible the Sebring was I can't imagine what it would be like built by Russians.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

oRenj9 posted:

GM hosed their chances for a hybrid truck a decade ago.

Edit: with this turd

Replying to an old post but I have to say, that decal makes me (and did when it was new) angry in a way I can't put words to

GM earned its bankruptcy

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FuturePastNow posted:

Replying to an old post but I have to say, that decal makes me (and did when it was new) angry in a way I can't put words to

GM earned its bankruptcy

GM has a long, long history of doing the least with the most.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

oRenj9 posted:

Ford got truck buyers to pay extra over a V8 for a V6. That suggests to me that a large portion of truck buyers are more pragmatic than the bro-scene suggests and a hybrid that can demonstrate better capability and fuel economy will actually sell.

I have a feeling that only Ford can pull this off though. GM hosed their chances for a hybrid truck a decade ago.

Edit: with this turd

Just wanted to say I recognized this Chevy design here:

https://streamable.com/utk5u

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

What was so bad about the GM hybrid trucks? I have no experience so I've never really heard anything about them other than they existed for a brief period of time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mr. Apollo posted:

What was so bad about the GM hybrid trucks? I have no experience so I've never really heard anything about them other than they existed for a brief period of time.

Gm called them a "parallel hybrid", but not in the usual sense of the term. Basically it replaced the typical starter motor with a larger motor/generator; it charged a bank of 4 12V batteries, and provided start/stop functionality, but crucially did NOT under any circumstances provide tractive force. So basically a complicated, heavy workaround to provide start/stop without direct injection, which barely improved mileage at all.

It did have an inverter to power a few external 120VAC outlets, so it sold decently well with contractors. Nothing like what we typically think of when we think "hybrid" today, though.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I remember the Tahoe "Hybrid" showing up on the local Chevy lot and checking out the sticker. The EPA rating was 20/20 City/Highway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Q_res posted:

I remember the Tahoe "Hybrid" showing up on the local Chevy lot and checking out the sticker. The EPA rating was 20/20 City/Highway.

That's a pretty good gain over the normal one which was 14/19.

MPG is stupid way of measuring anyway as it distorts differences - it should be l/100km (or G/100 miles)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Enourmo posted:

Gm called them a "parallel hybrid", but not in the usual sense of the term. Basically it replaced the typical starter motor with a larger motor/generator; it charged a bank of 4 12V batteries, and provided start/stop functionality, but crucially did NOT under any circumstances provide tractive force. So basically a complicated, heavy workaround to provide start/stop without direct injection, which barely improved mileage at all.

It did have an inverter to power a few external 120VAC outlets, so it sold decently well with contractors. Nothing like what we typically think of when we think "hybrid" today, though.

The one you are talking about is the GMT800 parallel hybrid, the one in the picture is the GMT900 "2 mode hybrid" that was a joint venture between GM, Chrysler and BMW and also resulted in the Dodge Durango hybrid and BMW X6 hybrid.

It was a huge investment that produced one of the most complex hybrid electric transmission systems ever conceived. So naturally they canceled it after 2 model years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Hybrid_Cooperation

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

2018 Mustang looks pretty nice.

Facelift, V6 is gone, slight power bump, 10 speed auto, digital cluster.

http://www.roadkill.com/all-new-2018-mustang-gets-a-facelift-performance-upgrade/

opengl fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 18, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't wait for ignorant mustang/camaro fanboys to argue about who's 10 speed shifts quicker :allears:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Looks like the V8 is getting direct/port injection also.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I can't wait for ignorant mustang/camaro fanboys to argue about who's 10 speed shifts quicker :allears:

Anyone that would about that isn't getting the automatic.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Anyone that would about that isn't getting the automatic.

lol

this thing looks fantastic

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

butterbar posted:

Nah, they had their own tooling. They've been building Cherokees at Beijing Jeep Corporation for decades. Lots of little Chinese eccentricities too, like high roof models.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Powershift posted:

I love my SRAM 10 speed Rival. It's really great and tactile shifting. :v:

I saw a focus RS yesterday in white. loving racecar, that thing looks awesome in person.

E: wasn't the last 4 cylinder mustang the old fox body one in the early 90's? :lol: It was also 2.3L

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 18, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

opengl128 posted:

2018 Mustang looks pretty nice.

Facelift, V6 is gone, slight power bump, 10 speed auto, digital cluster.

http://www.roadkill.com/all-new-2018-mustang-gets-a-facelift-performance-upgrade/

It looks dumpy as gently caress in the first picture, and great in the second one.

Car photographers, take note. Please don't make the cars look foreshortened, it looks like rear end.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Both images are almost certainly computer generated, which makes weird poo poo happen sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I liked analog gauges for at least the tach and speedo, they could've at least made them as cool as 80s digital ones :(