Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Okay now where can I give them my money? I miss having a smart watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Yessss, I'll finally retire my OG Moto 360.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm really surprised they're not taking advantage of the Pixel brand.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm really surprised they're not taking advantage of the Pixel brand.

Apparently Huawei had an issue with not having their branding on Pixel stuff, so my guess is they're the mystery manufacturer

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Apparently Huawei had an issue with not having their branding on Pixel stuff, so my guess is they're the mystery manufacturer

Yeah, makes sense. Bummer though, Google finally has a widely known and publicized brand and they aren't using it...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Huawei already said they are pulling back from Google Wear. It's LG, they already have an LTE Google Wear watch running the 2.0 beta, they have publically committed to next gen Wear watches and they are the only major manufacturer still in the game.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Huawei already said they are pulling back from Google Wear. It's LG, they already have an LTE Google Wear watch running the 2.0 beta, they have publically committed to next gen Wear watches and they are the only major manufacturer still in the game.

Asus and Sony?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Asus and Sony?

I mean I guess it is possible but both devices are going to be clearly US-centric and one will be cell enabled and neither company has any meaningful US carrier relationships. LG already has strong carrier relationships including with Wear and has publically committed to Wear while others have publically pulled out.

It's LG.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Comedy option: It's Casio.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

If its LG that's a good thing, really impressed with their progression from watch to watch and am surprised how much better the WULTESE is compared to the former king (Huawei watch).

Hopefully they can choose a less dumb name this time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can't really think of anything that would compel me to upgrade from my Moto 360 2 at this time. I mean, I'm glad Google is still developing Android Wear, but it's not exactly a high innovation space.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magog posted:

Yessss, I'll finally retire my OG Moto 360.
How's are you liking the eight hour battery life?

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Tunga posted:

How's are you liking the eight hour battery life?

Amazingly it's still lasting all day (which means it's still lasting longer than when it was brand new lol)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I can't really think of anything that would compel me to upgrade from my Moto 360 2 at this time. I mean, I'm glad Google is still developing Android Wear, but it's not exactly a high innovation space.

Gotta agree, I love this thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Magog posted:

Comedy option: It's Casio.

This would probably be the first good, attractive Android Wear watch were it the case.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

This would probably be the first good, attractive Android Wear watch were it the case.
I actually really like the design of the orange Casio Wear watch, it's just hilariously huge.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Magog posted:

Amazingly it's still lasting all day (which means it's still lasting longer than when it was brand new lol)

Same, I'm still using a OG 360 and the battery gets me through the day, although just barely. I'll happily upgrade to the Not Pixel Watch, assuming the price is right.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magog posted:

Luchadork posted:

Same, I'm still using a OG 360 and the battery gets me through the day, although just barely. I'll happily upgrade to the Not Pixel Watch, assuming the price is right.
I leave home 08:45 and it'll last until I get home around 19:00. But if I got out in the evening it'll generally be dead by around 20:00.

Considering I bought it expecting to replace it after a year and they actually improved the battery life and performance significantly after release I guess I'm reasonably happy with how it has done.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone aware of wear apps that are on sale?

Also, there's an ewok watch face. I've given up keeping my watch looking realistic, it's ewoks all the way now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got a ZenWatch 3 for Christmas and it's really cool, A+++

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

My ZW3 is awesome but the wrist strap is making me uneasy, I can see it starting to stretch around the holes and there's been a few people posting on /r/zenwatch about the strap coming apart or just breaking. Asus apparently wants you to send the whole device in for replacement which is kinda ridiculous.

If my strap breaks I'm not sure how to go about replacing it as I live in Germany and bought it in America.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

poo poo, I'm not having that issue yet but this strap definitely isn't super high quality leather. Hopefully Asus sells straps soon, I still can only see ZenWatch 2 accessories online.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I just got the Huawei watch for my birthday, what are some good apps to put on it? Is there a good way to setup Google Fit better than the default? Is there a way to separate tracking for my phone and watch so they don't get lumped together?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Valicious posted:

I just got the Huawei watch for my birthday, what are some good apps to put on it? Is there a good way to setup Google Fit better than the default? Is there a way to separate tracking for my phone and watch so they don't get lumped together?

For me, I've found Our Groceries to be so much nicer with Wear. I already used OG anyway, but just having it right there on my watch makes shopping so much better. You do need to have opened OG on your phone first, to initialize the syncing process, but after that you can do everything on your watch without fumbling for your phone for the entire rest of the shopping trip.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

At long last there is a vague release date for 2.0!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Welp. I bought a 1st gen moto 360 on release day, have been an android wear user ever since.... and my company just gave me an Apple Watch series 2 ceramic. My wife says I have to use it, so I guess I'll start using my company iPhone over my personal phone now.

This thing is so ugly. Jesus.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wtf kind of company issues Apple watches???

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wtf kind of company issues Apple watches???

A premium model, at that. :psyduck:

Probably a gift, rather than "company issued hardware."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just sell it imo if it was a gift. I tried an Apple Watch and it was horrible, not only is it ugly and boring, the interface/UI is ridiculously terrible.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
They are issuing apple watches to all employees as part of a health and fitness initiative. I get a ceramic due to my position, but they are issuing series 1 aluminum to the proles.

I do have to use it, really. Not playing ball would look bad when I'm one of the guys that has to rah rah rah to my direct reports how this makes us such a great company to work for.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 17, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

eyebeem posted:

They are issuing apple watches to all employees as part of a health and fitness initiative. I get a ceramic due to my position, but they are issuing series 1 aluminum to the proles.

I do have to use it, really. Not playing ball would look bad when I'm one of the guys that has to rah rah rah to my direct reports how this makes us such a great company to work for.

Lmao I want to ask more questions about your company which is a little personal and nosey for SA, but wow

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Here's the latest rumor dump on the Nexus watches:

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/17/first-android-wear-2-0-devices-revealed-google-and-lgs-watch-sport-and-watch-style/

Made / branded by LG
Android Wear 2.0
Round OLED displays, no flat tire

LG Watch Sport:
14.2-millimeters thick
1.38 inch, 480 x 480 display
768MB RAM
4GB storage
430mAh battery
3G and LTE connectivity

LG Watch Style:
10.8-millimeters thick
1.2-inch, 360 x 360 display
512MB RAM
4GB storage
240mAh battery
available in titanium, silver, and rose gold, swappable straps

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nice! Can't wait for them to randomly brick themselves after two years!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

Here's the latest rumor dump on the Nexus watches:

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/17/first-android-wear-2-0-devices-revealed-google-and-lgs-watch-sport-and-watch-style/

Made / branded by LG
Android Wear 2.0
Round OLED displays, no flat tire

LG Watch Sport:
14.2-millimeters thick
1.38 inch, 480 x 480 display
768MB RAM
4GB storage
430mAh battery
3G and LTE connectivity

LG Watch Style:
10.8-millimeters thick
1.2-inch, 360 x 360 display
512MB RAM
4GB storage
240mAh battery
available in titanium, silver, and rose gold, swappable straps

Ambient light sensors? If not, I wouldn't consider one at any price.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Ambient light sensors? If not, I wouldn't consider one at any price.

Agreed, it's essential on a smartwatch.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Nice! Can't wait for them to randomly brick themselves after two years!

Boy, I hope they last that long!

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So, an update. I know this is the android wear thread, but I'm an android wear guy being forced to live a lie, so I thought I'd chime in.

I've been using the apple watch my work gave me for a couple of days now. So far, in contrast to my Moto360 and G watches, the interface is a nightmare, while also being much snappier, responsive, and reliable than AW. Everything works quickly and does it's job, but I still haven't figured out all of the navigation mechanisms. It's really the most convoluted thing ever. The big main "screen" of app icons is useless and a nightmare to navigate.

The available watch faces I've found thus far are all terrible. I haven't found anything I actually like.

On the plus side, the HR monitor works infinitely better than the one on my Moto360, which was as close to useless as useless gets (Hold COMPLETELY still for 20 seconds and maybe, just maybe, you'll get a reading!).

That's all. Go back to your AW lives while I continue with this charade.

*edit

One other positive is that the haptic feedback blows away any android wear watch I've tried. It's seriously on another level. Very effective and.. uh... pleasant?

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 21, 2017

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I have an old school LG G Watch that obviously won't be getting android wear 2. I've enjoyed it for close to two years now but it's never been a thing I felt I needed. I tell people I only paid ~$100 for it and like it at that price but much more than that and I'd definitely have buyers remorse.

My obvious question being, is there a good replacement for the G watch? It has always had enough features for me and I'm willing to keep using it but if there's a decent one for a similar price (~$100) that upgrades to aw2, I'd be up for the upgrade.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Where do you work that they give you an Apple Watch AND make you wear it daily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KillHour posted:

Where do you work that they give you an Apple Watch AND make you wear it daily?

He went over it up the thread. He's in management and they gave out Apple Watches as fitness trackers to everyone. Being as he's a leader he has to show appearances of being on board.