Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mister Bates posted:

My game group spent a smoke break in our session collaboratively drawing nose art for their ship, and it then escalated into everything-else-art, so now they're tooling around the galaxy in this:

That's pretty wizard.

And what ship is that? It looks neat as hell even without the awesome graffiti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Drone posted:

That's pretty wizard.

And what ship is that? It looks neat as hell even without the awesome graffiti.

That's the AIAT/i (so easy to remember!), aka Boba Fett's Slave IV

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It looks like the plane from Talespin, the Disney cartoon.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/3000/1/1/disciples-of-harmony/

Consular sourcebook!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Fuzz posted:

They're both based on the same real-world aircraft (mostly, anyway).

There's no stat-block for it, so I had to make one, but the current player group has a couple of retired Marines in it and as soon as they saw an amphibious transport they were like 'we want that'

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Hey guys, got another question about threat, advantage, triumph, and despair:

Do threat/despair effects only benefit players and advantage/triumph effects only benefit NPCs? Or does it depend on who rolls the dice? The rules in the beginner set are pretty clear about how to use those effects when the players are rolling dice, but they seem a little difficult for me to grasp when it comes to minions and rivals making skill checks.

For example, if I'm attacking as a Gamorrean thug in the beginner's game and net two advantage, does that mean the player the Gamorrean is attacking get to regain lost strain? Or does that mean the Gamorrean gets to activate the advantage (not that there's much it can do with just 2 advantage)?

And if advantage goes to whoever rolled it, does that mean when an NPC rolls threats the PCs get to choose how to apply them?

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 14, 2017

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
It belongs to whoever rolls it. So, advantage in your example would be used to give a boost to a character allied with the Gammorrean or a setback to an opposed character or etc etc.

You still get to determine how they take threats and despairs, but I know our GM mostly does it to reduce decision paralysis and overthinking things. For despair by itself by an NPC, he's usually receptive to ideas.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

thelazyblank posted:

It belongs to whoever rolls it. So, advantage in your example would be used to give a boost to a character allied with the Gammorrean or a setback to an opposed character or etc etc.

You still get to determine how they take threats and despairs, but I know our GM mostly does it to reduce decision paralysis and overthinking things. For despair by itself by an NPC, he's usually receptive to ideas.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for clarifying that!

One more thing, though: If threats are used to cause strain, and minions take damage instead of strain, does that mean threats can be used to cause damage? And would that damage go straight through their soak scores?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

FuriousAngle posted:

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for clarifying that!

One more thing, though: If threats are used to cause strain, and minions take damage instead of strain, does that mean threats can be used to cause damage? And would that damage go straight through their soak scores?

Yes and yes. It happens rarely, since you can usually outlet it into setbacks/their cover/etc, but it's not affected by normal soak. An NPC may have something like Resolve which would work against it like normal.

Most of this stuff I've double-checked in the rules, though, because they're pretty core to the game but you don't see them very often.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

thelazyblank posted:

Yes and yes. It happens rarely, since you can usually outlet it into setbacks/their cover/etc, but it's not affected by normal soak. An NPC may have something like Resolve which would work against it like normal.

Most of this stuff I've double-checked in the rules, though, because they're pretty core to the game but you don't see them very often.

Great! Thanks again!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Something I noticed here; Arkanians are a species option, meaning that contrary to popular belief, FFG can/will still use Legends-only stuff!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jivjov posted:

Something I noticed here; Arkanians are a species option, meaning that contrary to popular belief, FFG can/will still use Legends-only stuff!

I don't know why people keep spreading that rumour but they constantly are using and referencing Legends stuff.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
They even use really obscure Legends stuff; the Strongholds of Resistance sourcebook references a bunch of poo poo from the singleplayer campaign for Battlefront II, for Christ's sake

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Fuzz posted:

I always wanted to run a game of Edge where it's just basically Tale Spin.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

kingcom posted:

I don't know why people keep spreading that rumour but they constantly are using and referencing Legends stuff.

The relationship Disney has with the Star Wars EU stuff isn't even really "that which shall not be named," it's more "none of this stuff is canon unless we say it is, and if we decide to use it that's our prerogative but it still doesn't mean anything else to do with this stuff is canon." FFG can use all the EU stuff they want that they can get permission from Disney to use, they still have to get stuff vetted before it goes to print, but otherwise they're free to do so while Disney is free to say that it's all alt-universe stuff and certainly aren't going to let themselves be beholden to any of it when it comes to making new movies, comics, TV shows, etc.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Meanwhile there's a bunch of now canon stuff I would love to get some stats on, especially everything in Rebels

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, where are all the places that have lightsaber construction rules? I know of the F&D core book stuff and the hilt stuff in the F&D GM screen book. Do the splatbooks have additional attachments and whatnot? What about different crystals?

It's a drat shame that FFG isn't maintaining an index for all this garbage, considering their strategy of sprinkling everything across a dozen books like so much confetti. (I do know of the viluppo index, but it goes 9-12 months between updates since it's just regular guys.)

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Endless Vigil, the Sentinel splatbook, has detailed lightsaber construction rules. Crystal rules are kind of scattered across various FaD books, each career book gets a couple.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Bad Moon posted:

I always wanted to run a game of Edge where it's just basically Tale Spin.

all characters are wookies, ewoks or bothans

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Machai posted:

all characters are wookies, ewoks or bothans

brb writing up a kender splatbook

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I have a background where the hot lady bear boss lady is my love interest.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Meanwhile there's a bunch of now canon stuff I would love to get some stats on, especially everything in Rebels

Rebels stuff has been getting gradually added in later sourcebooks; in particular, the ITT, the Lasat race, and the T-7 Ion Disruptor all have official stats now. I don't think the Ghost does yet.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Generic VCX-100 stats are in Keeping the Peace (Guardian splatbook).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So.

Pretty much whatever I GM, I have to get a little sauced. I'm just kind of a reserved guy and it's hard to do the voices and the improv playacting without a buzz going on. That's just me.

Two of our players are a couple who brings their 4-year old kid, and she amuses herself and watches movies, or in future seshes when my kids are there they can do a play date.

During an intermission, I came out wearing a Kylo Ren mask and brandishing a toy lightsaber. And I say to the toddler in my evilest Dark Side Spaceman voice: "I am the EVIL Kylo Ren. I am master of the Knights of Ren, and am made to kiss Lena Dunham on the HBO Series Girls!"

Now this kid is pretty hyper and cheerful and gets along with me well enough, but I can tell right away that her eyes have gone wide with actual terror, she's seconds from tears, and my plan to amuse her has backfired. I rip off the mask and instantly change to a comforting tone:

"No kid, it's just me, Pac-Manioc Root! No one has to kiss Lena Dunham! Ever! It's all pretend!"

We all still get a laugh at that one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

So.

Pretty much whatever I GM, I have to get a little sauced. I'm just kind of a reserved guy and it's hard to do the voices and the improv playacting without a buzz going on. That's just me.

Two of our players are a couple who brings their 4-year old kid, and she amuses herself and watches movies, or in future seshes when my kids are there they can do a play date.

During an intermission, I came out wearing a Kylo Ren mask and brandishing a toy lightsaber. And I say to the toddler in my evilest Dark Side Spaceman voice: "I am the EVIL Kylo Ren. I am master of the Knights of Ren, and am made to kiss Lena Dunham on the HBO Series Girls!"

Now this kid is pretty hyper and cheerful and gets along with me well enough, but I can tell right away that her eyes have gone wide with actual terror, she's seconds from tears, and my plan to amuse her has backfired. I rip off the mask and instantly change to a comforting tone:

"No kid, it's just me, Pac-Manioc Root! No one has to kiss Lena Dunham! Ever! It's all pretend!"

Are you sure they weren't laughing at you when it turned out you were a misogynist rear end in a top hat?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

So.

Ha. That's pretty great. I used to wear masks for a game I ran ans it would scare my friend's dogs silly. It's like I instantly became a new person.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

Ha. That's pretty great. I used to wear masks for a game I ran ans it would scare my friend's dogs silly. It's like I instantly became a new person.

Yeah I wasn't doing it for the game proper, just amusing a kid. It's a bit of booze that lets me become another person.

I ran a sort of stripped down version game for my daughter a bit back and she loved it. The basics of system is so easy to pick up my 6 year old was assembling dice pools no problem after a couple rolls.

Next session I plan to have a solid ship-to-ship setpiece for the Ace to shine, but studying up the maneuvers and actions are a bit less intuitive than ground stuff. I'll have to find a cheat sheet.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Yeah I wasn't doing it for the game proper, just amusing a kid. It's a bit of booze that lets me become another person.

I ran a sort of stripped down version game for my daughter a bit back and she loved it. The basics of system is so easy to pick up my 6 year old was assembling dice pools no problem after a couple rolls.

Next session I plan to have a solid ship-to-ship setpiece for the Ace to shine, but studying up the maneuvers and actions are a bit less intuitive than ground stuff. I'll have to find a cheat sheet.

Our GM last time we played had a nice cheat sheet for all the different things we could do to help in the ship action. He pulled if offline, I'll see if he remembers where.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

So.

Are you still sauced?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

A couple things that took a couple read-throughs of the space rules to jump out at me:

The Fly/Drive maneuver is only for when you wants to move between range bands, if the PC is dogfighting a TIE and neither leaves Close range, Fly/Drive is unnecessary.

Normally, the target of an attack gets to choose which arc is targeted. If a character succeeds a Gain the Advantage action, they get to choose the targeted arc instead. If you choose the rear arc, that puts you narratively behind the target, therefore that enemy can't shoot back while GtA is in effect unless it has a rear-facing weapon. So successfully Gaining the Advantage on a TIE means that it can't shoot at you on its next turn.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

kingcom posted:

Are you still sauced?

I actually don't drink that much. A fellow goon who plays in the game encouraged me to post, but now that I re-read it's sort of a "you had to be there" thing and just reads as a shaggy dog story about scaring a toddler. I am sorry for it, as I am for all my posts on these dying forums.

Moose King posted:

A couple things that took a couple read-throughs of the space rules to jump out at me:

The Fly/Drive maneuver is only for when you wants to move between range bands, if the PC is dogfighting a TIE and neither leaves Close range, Fly/Drive is unnecessary.

Normally, the target of an attack gets to choose which arc is targeted. If a character succeeds a Gain the Advantage action, they get to choose the targeted arc instead. If you choose the rear arc, that puts you narratively behind the target, therefore that enemy can't shoot back while GtA is in effect unless it has a rear-facing weapon. So successfully Gaining the Advantage on a TIE means that it can't shoot at you on its next turn.

This is good to know, and didn't jump out to me when I was reading through the section. GtA seems to be the go-to "I'm dogfightin'" maneuver then.

I think having a bunch of X-Wing minis is going to be helpful for a small furball, probably between a U and X-Wing versus a couple-few TIEs. Not so much moving them around tactically, but positioning to indicate who has successfully "GtA"'ed on who.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I got a bunch of cheatsheets and stuff from the resource list in the ffg forums

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/85616-compiled-resources-list/

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What book's got VT-49 Decimator stats?

Adding a single EOTE/AOR statcard to each X-Wing ship's retail packaging would be a cool value add and potentially generate cross-promotional interest.

I would buy a whole deck of the things. I've been finding the adversary decks immensely helpful.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Adding a single EOTE/AOR statcard to each X-Wing ship's retail packaging would be a cool value add and potentially generate cross-promotional interest.

I would buy a whole deck of the things. I've been finding the adversary decks immensely helpful.

Fly Casual, p55

http://swrpg.viluppo.net has almost everything released across the books with the reference page for everything

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

:same::same::same:

A few pages back someone posted some custom ship cards that were pretty good.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Talkie Toaster posted:

It doesn't quite have everything but it's really useful.

There's no ARC stats but the scout version appears in Force and Destiny's Savage Spirits splat.

(I've done a few other ship cards like that here)

Here's the ship cards, since I was digging them up for myself.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So I have the opportunity to run SWRPG for some friends from work who have never played an RPG before. I figured I'd roll up some pregens and run one of the published adventures and I'm trying to decide which one to run. I have the three core books and the EotE GM screen adventure, so it will probably be one of those. One guy wanted to see some Force stuff so, I'll probably have a Force user pregen, even if I run one of the other adventures. Anyone have thoughts on what would be good?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

So I have the opportunity to run SWRPG for some friends from work who have never played an RPG before. I figured I'd roll up some pregens and run one of the published adventures and I'm trying to decide which one to run. I have the three core books and the EotE GM screen adventure, so it will probably be one of those. One guy wanted to see some Force stuff so, I'll probably have a Force user pregen, even if I run one of the other adventures. Anyone have thoughts on what would be good?

Run the edge of the empire Beginners Game imo, its pretty perfect for getting people to have a look into how the game runs.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

kingcom posted:

Run the edge of the empire Beginners Game imo, its pretty perfect for getting people to have a look into how the game runs.

I think the Force Awakens beginner game has different roles including a force user. I've never actually played it to know whether it is good or not though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Fuzz posted:

https://discord.gg/WPM43VV

Hey guys, so I decided to make a permanent SA FFG Star Wars Discord channel for all of us to use. We're our own small little community on SA at this point, and a lot of us cross paths so often that it's worth it to just have one.

Regular posters and gurus of the system (Mustache Ride, jivjov, etc) can hit me up on there for Admin access, and if anyone wants a specific channel added for their game or whatever, just let us know. Hopefully Serperoth can get his bot connected to the #rollem channel full-time and then we always have a place to do dice rolls and crap.

If you want to run a game:
1- Post in here so one of the Admins can give you a Moff title and you can setup your channels and such.
2- MAKE A THREAD ON THE TG GAMES THREAD. You know the one.
3- Don't be an rear end in a top hat to your players.

Discord can be found via that site, or if you're on Android/iOS it has apps for both that are fully featured and even allow for voicechat (though I'm not sure if the iOS one has full support).

The logic to this vs a Hangout or whatever is that we have a centralized place to discuss the game in real time that anyone can access, plus you can easily connect to voice channels, do your dice rolls in a separate channel, and even play from your phone at any time of day from anywhere without much overhead and the whole hassle of having to post on here a la a PbP. GM access also has full control over who can speak or send messages in their channels, so this also allows people that AREN'T actually playing to still sit in and spectate on games, even the real-time (or semi real time) ones to either learn the system, get ideas, or just have something to read logs of while they're taking a poo poo.

I figure this is worth a try and could end up getting some games that actually go the distance online in this system, plus it could help strengthen your PnP game (confused on a topic at your PnP session? Ask in the channel and see if someone knows!). Discord is free and you can idle forever and no one will care, and they keep logs on their end so why the hell not.

Game on!

EDIT: Oh and if someone wants to make FFG dice icons as Emojis for Discord, that would be a sweet idea... maybe Serperoth's script could be edited up so that it actually displays results as emojis, which could basically bridge the gap and make it an all-inclusive alternative to Orokos, which hates phones/tablets.

Also if you have any other fun SW or SA emoticons you want added in, say so.

Quoting this since a bunch of PbP games have cropped up, and jivjov's game is proving quite readily that Discord is a vastly superior format in every way.

As an update, we have a permanent bot now and it does icons.