Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lifeglug posted:

Whilst a cut-rate RE4, it's still superior to 5 and 6, in my opinion.

Jesus, no, 5 and 6 have decent combat, TEW is a step back from RE4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I loving love The Evil Within. Love it. The weird rear end storyline the abrupt changes in gameplay. The bosses and the DLC. I understand the problems people have with it but I still love it and it was the first game I bought for my system.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The people who made Pineview Drive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT_BpoC1P1w) made what seems to be a FNAF knockoff, featuring a diner and indigenous American https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/joe's-diner/cid=UP2715-CUSA03807_00-JOESDINERPS4US00

Sounds Promising

e: god i hate the auto-embed. i'll fix it later

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There are definitely a lot of merits to Evil Within, it's just let down by a lot of "should have known betters". We've figuratively and literally written the book on game design for these kinds of things, and it really makes the flaws shine through.

On RE chat, I am kind of disappointed that it delves back into a straight up RE shooter game, but it still should be fun. Fingers crossed.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, it's better to approach The Evil Within as just a separate game. It's setup in such a way that each chapter of the game kinda requires or encourages different play styles than the last. Like early only, they set up a lot of sneaking and stealth opportunities and give you a lot more options to indulge in that because they probably prefer the play do that (especially with the limited resources Seb has at the start); then as the game progresses and the player is better equipped, then they start to shift to more combat but the middle portion of the game still relies on some stealth and dealing with that tension. Then by the end, it's pretty much straight action as it wraps up to the conclusion; stealth is mostly forgotten and that's fine because now you should be a crossbow wielding maniac.

Like I appreciated the dream like quality as the story of Evil Within threw you from one set piece to another and is an extremely different beast of a game than Resident Evil 4 was. It's a bit disingenuous to compare the two just because Shinji Mikami was attached and some people made the initial assumption it was going to be the same.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I will defend TEW to death. The gameplay was really fun since you had to come up with different ways to kill your enemies to save resources and it never felt like you had too much of something.

The controls weren't any worse than they were in RE4, even if they are dated.

To me it's by far better than anything else released after 4.

Heck, gameplaywise it's better than TLOU because even at harder difficulties the game never devolves into brick and bottle tossing

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 18, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bogart posted:

The people who made Pineview Drive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT_BpoC1P1w) made what seems to be a FNAF knockoff, featuring a diner and indigenous American https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/joe's-diner/cid=UP2715-CUSA03807_00-JOESDINERPS4US00

Sounds Promising

This sounds... extremely familiar except I could have sworn it was a really lovely unity game

EDIT: Holy poo poo I remember now, Tortoiseontour did a stream of this with some folks and hoo doggy, it loving sucks

Danaru fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 18, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Bogart posted:

Sounds Promising

Hmmm, Steam seems to say it's hot garbo: http://store.steampowered.com/app/346040/ but who knows?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No it's loving terrible garbage that should be avoided.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus, no, 5 and 6 have decent combat, TEW is a step back from RE4.

I don't recall any major changes in the combat in RE 4/5/6. I can't say I played them to death though.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I don't think you even played 6 if you say it controls like any other RE game in anything more than "it is a third person shooter"

Between the evade and melee system, 6 is an entirely different game that is dragged down by its level and setpiece design.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't recall any major changes in the combat in RE 4/5/6. I can't say I played them to death though.

I mean you can move and aim at the same time in 5/6, that's a pretty big change right there.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
6 also had the diving and rolling and crawling that were pretty neat.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean you can move and aim at the same time in 5/6, that's a pretty big change right there.

I still vaguely remember being puzzled why you still couldn't strafe while aiming in 5 so at least for that game that's not correct iirc.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

6 has incredibly good basic gameplay and everything else about it kind of sucks. 4 is the opposite

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

6 has incredibly good basic gameplay and everything else about it kind of sucks. 4 is the opposite

I'm stealing this, that's what I've been getting at every time I defend that flop of a gem.

Except I'd say 4 is pretty drat solid, at least in that all the controls WORK

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
6 is the only one in which a zed lying on the ground is much more dangerous, because it has a 50% chance of teleporting on top of you whenever you approach.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RE6 is better than TEW just by merit of the fact that you can Fist Of The North Star your way though half the levels.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Gameplay in 4 was really good for most of the game though. If anything, it was the best part about it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

GlyphGryph posted:

The Gameplay in 4 was really good for most of the game though. If anything, it was the best part about it.

But it wasn't Resident Evil. 4 for me used to be the death knell of the series until 7 came and restored my hope.

I'm also one of those people who really loved the outbreak games though so :shrug:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Outbreak was a really cool idea that would've been great if it had come out later, when multiplayer gaming was easier.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

it is, but only because the game is so well designed that the tank controls are rarely frustrating. Imagine your average third-person shooter now if you had to slowly stumble to a halt (after holding a button to run), press a button to lift your gun and aim (or even prepare your knife for melee) and then fire? It'd be frustrating as hell. But it's fun because the levels, enemies, atmosphere and everything works with the controls instead of against them. The shooting is satisfying because of the feel, weight and sound of the weapons contrasting against the tension and claustrophobia. The controls and moment-to-moment gameplay aren't smooth or good in of themselves but the game as a whole is proof that that doesn't always matter.

RE6 gives you great, smooth controls with quickshots, combos, sliding and dashing, a great melee system, executions, counters... and throws you into the most miserable campaign ever made, so it's worthless if still fun in very short bursts

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it is, but only because the game is so well designed that the tank controls are rarely frustrating. Imagine your average third-person shooter now if you had to slowly stumble to a halt (after holding a button to run), press a button to lift your gun and aim (or even prepare your knife for melee) and then fire? It'd be frustrating as hell. But it's fun because the levels, enemies, atmosphere and everything works with the controls instead of against them. The shooting is satisfying because of the feel, weight and sound of the weapons contrasting against the tension and claustrophobia. The controls and moment-to-moment gameplay aren't smooth or good in of themselves but the game as a whole is proof that that doesn't always matter.

RE6 gives you great, smooth controls with quickshots, combos, sliding and dashing, a great melee system, executions, counters... and throws you into the most miserable campaign ever made, so it's worthless if still fun in very short bursts

That's also one of the ways that RE6 fails. Its level design actively works against the controls

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't think this is true for 5.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

A control scheme that works with and compliments the level design and atmosphere and moment to moment experience is the very definition of a good control scheme. And gameplay is a lot more than just controls - RE4 had really well designed tells and response times and stuff. It was mechanically a very strong gameplay experience (imo). The controls are part of the design - yes, the player is given fewer tools, and the things they can do are more deliberate, but that narrows the problem space for encounter design and provides straightforward hooks for building effective experiences which can be a very good thing.

I haven't played RE6 but everything I've seen makes it look like the gameplay is absolute poo poo regardless of how "cool" and "smooth" it is. What is the point of any of the things you listed if they don't help build towards a great experience? Hell, I could easily imagine them making good gameplay significantly more difficult to design.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Night10194 posted:

Outbreak was a really cool idea that would've been great if it had come out later, when multiplayer gaming was easier.

Outbreak would work better if it had actual voice chat instead of that loving terrible system they had.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dreadwroth posted:

Outbreak would work better if it had actual voice chat instead of that loving terrible system they had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttCIohxIjzk

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RE6 still probably has my favorite iteration of Mercenaries. It's just so fun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

does the embargo for reviews for RE7 end the day before release? wish it would have lifted sooner, dick move capcom

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Raxivace posted:

RE6 still probably has my favorite iteration of Mercenaries. It's just so fun.

The Merc maps actually work with RE6's controls.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

A control scheme that works with and compliments the level design and atmosphere and moment to moment experience is the very definition of a good control scheme. And gameplay is a lot more than just controls - RE4 had really well designed tells and response times and stuff. It was mechanically a very strong gameplay experience (imo). The controls are part of the design - yes, the player is given fewer tools, and the things they can do are more deliberate, but that narrows the problem space for encounter design and provides straightforward hooks for building effective experiences which can be a very good thing.

I haven't played RE6 but everything I've seen makes it look like the gameplay is absolute poo poo regardless of how "cool" and "smooth" it is. What is the point of any of the things you listed if they don't help build towards a great experience? Hell, I could easily imagine them making good gameplay significantly more difficult to design.

Yeah I'm wrong

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Is Revelations worth playing on the 3DS\at all?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think this is true for 5.

Yeah, I got confused, you can strafe while you're not aiming in 5 but not when you are.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

RE6's failings are more in the level design which completely fail to utilize the core gameplay mechanics than anything. It's why people will praise the Mercenaries mode of RE6 because it is about those core gameplay mechanics, not scripted sections where you press X to not die or get thrust into a turret section or you have to run away from instant death which the campaigns are chock full of. The controls and base gameplay mechanics are great, but they also feel suited to a different game entirely.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
Remember Year of the Ladybug? No? That's OK, because it's been cancelled.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

dregan posted:

im probably the only person in this thread that's actually kind of sad about this, but im glad he at least called it quits vs trying to frankenstein it into something no one would care about

well, more so than already, at least

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

dregan posted:

I'm really unhappy to hear this, but I wasn't aware it was ever going to get made in the first place.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

I'm really unhappy to hear this, but I wasn't aware it was ever going to get made in the first place.

Yeah, I was under the impression that it was basically an open pitch document

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

dregan posted:

Bummer but not surprising.

e: my only two posts in this thread are me saying "looks cool, won't happen."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
bonsai tree instead of head