Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Dead Goon posted:

Misery II: Annie Rises From The Dead.

This Too Shall Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

504 posted:

Choose a sequel to any King book you like.

In this imaginary world the sequel will be EXACTLY as good as the book it follows.

Twisted Firestarter

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Twisted Firestarter

:golfclap:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Rage II: The Columbine Caper

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Desperation 2: Regulator Boogaloo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So I just finished End of Watch and it was no great shakes but satisfying enough. One question though:

Near the end when Brady Hartsfield is done kicking Holly and making Hodges play the Zappit, wtf was the breaking window and the "that's a HOME RUN" voice? Was it Holly shooting the 38, missing and shattering the window? Were the "homerun" voices Hodges hallucinating from the hypnosis of the fish game? And how did Jerome get the location/address for the hunting lodge and how'd he get there so fast? The timeline was tight and the travel conditions outlined the book made it clear that driving was a clear problem. That part was so poorly written and hamfisted in its delivery it damned near ruined the whole book. That whole sequence was lame.

Come to think of it, it DID pretty much ruin the book.

There was A Big Showdown brewing and when I realized I only had about 30 pages left I wondered how they were going to resolve this in a satisfying way. It was bullshit. It was just "they get to the cabin, the villain monologues and then "forgotten off-screen character" saves the day. Although, bonus points to King for not making the orange pom pom on Hodges hat (that he swapped with his fedora) the way that Hartsfield spots him. I was certain that was gonna be the case since, for some reason, the writer seemed to make the hat exchange a poignant scene.

I know King catches a lot of poo poo for writing bad endings but this one wasn't so much bad as much as it was just nothing - and poorly written, bad storytelling nothing at that. I'm trying to think of a movie to compare it to because I've had that distinct disappointing feeling watching certain films before, where the ending and the resolution is just "ta-da!" but I guess I've just forgotten them.

Much like I'll forget about this book. Even the epilogue felt rushed, hastily tacked on and relatively pointless.

Real "sequel" talk and all jokes aside: I think Christine could support a sequel and maybe Pet Semetary but I'm not sure how you could make them interesting.

Also, thanks thread for recommending "A Head Full of Ghosts". I enjoyed it a lot.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Rage II: The Columbine Caper

Oh dear.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Rage: Carrie 2 :v:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There should be a sequel to Revival where the main guy is an old man on the verge of death, but trying everything he can to stay alive because of what he knows. For some reason I really liked Revival and want more.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I was thinking something about 11/22/63.

When Al went back through the time hole, he was researching stuff about Oswald to try and determine if he was acting alone in assassinating Kennedy, right? So why not just off Oswald and come back to see if Kennedy is alive or not? If he hosed up, and ooops, Kennedy is dead anyway, he could have just popped back into the time hole and reset the whole thing over again.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I could be wrong as it's been a while since I read it but I think the problem was that by the time he could get to Oswald he'd have spent too many years in the past to be able to get another try at it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kenny powerzzz posted:

I could be wrong as it's been a while since I read it but I think the problem was that by the time he could get to Oswald he'd have spent too many years in the past to be able to get another try at it.

He'd certainly be older and maybe crippled by the big C

A favorite King trope

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was thinking something about 11/22/63.

When Al went back through the time hole, he was researching stuff about Oswald to try and determine if he was acting alone in assassinating Kennedy, right? So why not just off Oswald and come back to see if Kennedy is alive or not? If he hosed up, and ooops, Kennedy is dead anyway, he could have just popped back into the time hole and reset the whole thing over again.

There's also the whole thing about murdering a man and then trying to get back to your woodshed time travel closet without getting arrested or killed yourself. I think he wanted to be absolutely sure what he was doing was all he needed to do just in case he couldn't make it back.

I really liked that book.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

kenny powerzzz posted:

Yeah. Oswald lived in a military base and then went to the Soviet Union, where he stayed between 59 and 62. So even to just kill him Jake would need to be there for 4 years.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

504 posted:

Choose a sequel to any King book you like.

In this imaginary world the sequel will be EXACTLY as good as the book it follows.

I'd like a good sequel to The Talisman

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

oldpainless posted:

What's wrong with Black House? I haven't read it in years, but I don't remember it being terrible.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Leavemywife posted:

What's wrong with Black House? I haven't read it in years, but I don't remember it being terrible.

The usual complaints against it are the weird style of the prose (which I kind of agree with; it takes a while getting used to it) and the clunky Dark Tower connections (which I entirely agree with; the Talisman was better with its own mythos). I like it but I don't think it's one of King's or Straub's best.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

3Romeo posted:

The usual complaints against it are the weird style of the prose (which I kind of agree with; it takes a while getting used to it) and the clunky Dark Tower connections (which I entirely agree with; the Talisman was better with its own mythos). I like it but I don't think it's one of King's or Straub's best.

I liked the blind radio DJ

Just looked it up and his name was Charles Ray

King can be pretty cheesy but that was a nice reference

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

syscall girl posted:

I liked the blind radio DJ

Just looked it up and his name was Charles Ray

King can be pretty cheesy but that was a nice reference

Oh yeah, the characters are great. They shouldn't work (a cool-cat blind radio multi-personality? A gang of bikers who read Derrida? they sound like something from a creative writing workshop) but they have enough going on that they're fun to read.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
After thinking about it, a new IT sequel would be pretty great, if it followed a new group of kids dealing with the monster with the eventual help of one of the adults from the original. They can start an official watch group that has to recruit a new group every 25 years. Not that we need it, but there's a possibility for a story, if we're assuming it'll be just as good as the original.

A sequel to The Stand would be great. Both "sides" have managed to work together and build a working society, now we're on a 2nd generation of survivors. Flagg comes out of the wood works, claiming to be the next Messiah, bringing forth the Rapture, creating a civil war. Again, not necessary, but possible.

Looking over his bibliography, I can't really name anything that should get a sequel. Maybe The Eyes of the Dragon could have a sequel, but I've never read that.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I want a sequel to IT set in 2017 where the surviving characters are all 70 years old and crippled by arthritis. To defeat the monster they have to crawl through a sewer and one of them has to sustain an erection.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

oldpainless posted:

I'd like a good prequel to Black House

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I want a sequel to IT set in 2017 where the surviving characters are all 70 years old and crippled by arthritis. To defeat the monster they have to crawl through a sewer and one of them has to sustain an erection.

Don't say that about Stranger Things.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Great front page article today: "If the Dead Zone Happened in Real Life": https://www.somethingawful.com/news/dead-zone-real/

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Great front page article today: "If the Dead Zone Happened in Real Life": https://www.somethingawful.com/news/dead-zone-real/

Great stuff.

Also, who knew SA still had a front page?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I'd like a good prequel to Black House

Read The Talisman

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Read The Talisman

it was bad

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Are you sure it was The Talisman and you didn't accidentally read Black House?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
My choice for a sequel was Christine, so I was sorely disapointed by this

stephenking.com/promo/christine_lives/

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

504 posted:

My choice for a sequel was Christine, so I was sorely disapointed by this

stephenking.com/promo/christine_lives/

I'm just imaging a really angry cube of ex-car now.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

My first time re-reading since shortly after it was published - I never realized what a blatant influence Twin Peaks was on "Needful Things."

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm reading Needful Things now

it's not bad, I guess, but it's not really hooking me in and making me want to see what happens

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I'm reading Needful Things now

it's not bad, I guess, but it's not really hooking me in and making me want to see what happens

One thing that really stands out to me on this re-read is how dated it feels. It feels like he's writing a story set in 1961, not 1991.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

One thing that really stands out to me on this re-read is how dated it feels. It feels like he's writing a story set in 1961, not 1991.

OMG WAIT! You mean it wasn't based and set in the year it was published?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Dead Goon posted:

Most of King's stuff is usually set around or about the year he wrote it, and even if he doesn't give you a hard date he'll throw pop culture at you as a way to bracket the time of the story. Like Blue Oyster Cult in The Stand or the Yes We Still Can bumper stickers in Under the Dome or Game of Thrones in Dr. Sleep.

I haven't read NT in probably twenty years, so let me ask - does King make a lot of (then) popular culture references? I can't really remember.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

3Romeo posted:

I haven't read NT in probably twenty years, so let me ask - does King make a lot of (then) popular culture references? I can't really remember.

I'm 300 pages in, and I can't recall any specific pop-culture references but the description of Castle Rock and the people definitely feels like the 1950/1960s. It might also lack a lot of pop-culture references because Leland Gaunt is selling curios, relics, and antiques.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Dead Goon posted:

It is specifically set in the year it was published.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

3Romeo posted:

Most of King's stuff is usually set around or about the year he wrote it, and even if he doesn't give you a hard date he'll throw pop culture at you as a way to bracket the time of the story. Like Blue Oyster Cult in The Stand or the Yes We Still Can bumper stickers in Under the Dome or Game of Thrones in Dr. Sleep.

He references daytime soap operas, Iraq/Desert Shield, and a few other things that make it clear that the book is set in 1990/91. But it is really odd that the kid is obsessed with baseball cards (not Nintendo games or hair metal), the housewives are after Elvis pictures and carnival glass, and the working class adult guy wants a fox tail to fly from the antenna of his car like he did in the fifties.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
As someone who had 1000s of baseball cards as a 6 year old in 1991 and whose family had/still has lots of Elvis poo poo, those two check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

He references daytime soap operas, Iraq/Desert Shield, and a few other things that make it clear that the book is set in 1990/91. But it is really odd that the kid is obsessed with baseball cards (not Nintendo games or hair metal), the housewives are after Elvis pictures and carnival glass, and the working class adult guy wants a fox tail to fly from the antenna of his car like he did in the fifties.

I mean isn't half the point that these are odd things for them to want, and thus why they couldn't already get them? Like the fluffy tail on your car thing was actually a trend of the late 20s and the 30s, the Elvis picture fad was quite out of date by then etc.

The evil store owner wouldn't have as much bait to get people to do terrible things for him if he was just offering normal things it'd be easy to get in 1990.