Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's like the exact opposite of MoR in a lot of ways while still having a few of the same fundamental problems, but overall it's much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Honestly, I like the arithmancer story, but if anyone doesn't think the main character is a complete Mary Sue, they're kidding themselves. It's not specifically a bad thing, in much the way that plot armour on the main characters doesn't always kill a story. My only problem with it is the constant feeling of ...superiority, that the author seems to want to show over "non-rational" characters. Unlike MoR however, these characters still get positive traits (although all too often cool things that other people can do are instantly seen through by the main character and it turns out "oh it's just <math concept> obviously" and suddenly she becomes able to grasp it and do it).

So yeah, it's not perfect, but it's decent light reading.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I must say I'm impressed with all your persistence in reading this tripe. I don't remember reading it back in the day although I remember the Basilisk, but I gave it a go today and I've gotten through about halfway and it's just classic fanfic Mary Sue garbage. Literally a child acting like an adult so he can own another author's characters with SCIENCE, it practically screams I'm smart! I just didn't get the piece of paper!. TBH I find the Ender's Game explanation a good cover for just fantasising his superiority. I do think he's read more Harry Potter than people suppose, not so much plot but characterization. He seems to have taken on Harry's anger as his own but channelled it a different way. There's something clinical going on here.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

ewe2 posted:

I must say I'm impressed with all your persistence in reading this tripe. I don't remember reading it back in the day although I remember the Basilisk, but I gave it a go today and I've gotten through about halfway and it's just classic fanfic Mary Sue garbage. Literally a child acting like an adult so he can own another author's characters with SCIENCE, it practically screams I'm smart! I just didn't get the piece of paper!. TBH I find the Ender's Game explanation a good cover for just fantasising his superiority. I do think he's read more Harry Potter than people suppose, not so much plot but characterization. He seems to have taken on Harry's anger as his own but channelled it a different way. There's something clinical going on here.

Dude doesn't have the piece of paper. Didn't even get a HS diploma.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

i81icu812 posted:

Dude doesn't have the piece of paper. Didn't even get a HS diploma.

Who needs high school when you can logic all knowledge through rational thinking?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
You see, (insert famous smart person here) flunked out of high school, which means that I am obviously also a smart person for flunking out of high school.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a Mary Sue fanfic where Ron is the rational genius and is there a crossover fanfic where HPATMOR Harry, Arithmancy Hermione, and ??? Ron team up?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Argue posted:

Is there a Mary Sue fanfic where Ron is the rational genius and is there a crossover fanfic where HPATMOR Harry, Arithmancy Hermione, and ??? Ron team up?

There's always a Mary Sue Potter fanfic that will suit your needs. It will also be terrible.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The sort of people who write fanfic aren't the ones who like ron, from pretty much everything i've seen. The idea of a dude being a lovely rear end in a top hat teenager but not a horrible person who marries their loving waifu!!! pisses a lot of people off, and they're the people who want to 'fix' harry potter in their fanfic

at best they just ignore him entirely and focus on fred and george, at worst the weasleys are in some weird conspiracy with dumbledore to mind control / manipulate harry into being the chosen one with ginny's arranged marriage as some sort of 'prize', which is A: loving dumb and B: really reductionist of a bunch of interestingly flawed characters, most of all ginny but also ron and harry himself

:goonsay:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yud is no different from many fanfic writers who've decided that Harry/Hermione is the ONE TRUE SHIP and Ron is totally unworthy, completely overlooking Rowling's character balance for Harry. In this worldview, since Harry is the Hero, he is always Right and therefore only the most Right are worthy of his attentions. And of course Yud was going to go for the Smart Right Girl as long as she recognized who's boss.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I'm always the idiot who likes the character everyone in the fandom hates. Shinji in Neon Genesis Evangalion? Carth Onassi in KOTOR? Boring Psychic dude/ and Ashley in the first Mass Effect? This guy. What's wrong with a character that has issues and really isn't into whatever the setting's bullshit is?

Sometimes you need a guy that isn't thrilled that he's piloting a twenty story tall biological robot inhabited by the spirit of his dead mother in order to fight literal angels sent by God to enact His final judgement. I sure as poo poo wouldn't be pleased with that situation, especially at 15, or whatever.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ungulateman posted:

The sort of people who write fanfic aren't the ones who like ron, from pretty much everything i've seen. The idea of a dude being a lovely rear end in a top hat teenager but not a horrible person who marries their loving waifu!!! pisses a lot of people off, and they're the people who want to 'fix' harry potter in their fanfic

at best they just ignore him entirely and focus on fred and george, at worst the weasleys are in some weird conspiracy with dumbledore to mind control / manipulate harry into being the chosen one with ginny's arranged marriage as some sort of 'prize', which is A: loving dumb and B: really reductionist of a bunch of interestingly flawed characters, most of all ginny but also ron and harry himself

:goonsay:

Well obviously Ginny can't have any agency - she's a woman. :colbert:

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm always the idiot who likes the character everyone in the fandom hates. Shinji in Neon Genesis Evangalion? Carth Onassi in KOTOR? Boring Psychic dude/ and Ashley in the first Mass Effect? This guy. What's wrong with a character that has issues and really isn't into whatever the setting's bullshit is?

Sometimes you need a guy that isn't thrilled that he's piloting a twenty story tall biological robot inhabited by the spirit of his dead mother in order to fight literal angels sent by God to enact His final judgement. I sure as poo poo wouldn't be pleased with that situation, especially at 15, or whatever.

I'm glad that this exists, but I'm also glad Tengen Toppa Gurrenn Lagann exists.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pvt.Scott posted:

If you are, then you're literally the first person I've ever interacted with to like Ron. The whole spiel earlier in the thread is hella stupid, because you don't need to be "kind of person to..." with any further qualifiers (besides "the kind of person who read Harry Potter") to dislike him.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Xander77 posted:

If you are, then you're literally the first person I've ever interacted with to like Ron. The whole spiel earlier in the thread is hella stupid, because you don't need to be "kind of person to..." with any further qualifiers (besides "the kind of person who read Harry Potter") to dislike him.

I like Ron, but I also like Sokka from Avatar and Xander from Buffy. I really identify with "just a regular guy" characters wandering around just living their lives behind The Chosen One.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ron isn't "just a regular guy" though, he's also a clueless rear end in a top hat.

Comparing him to the majesty of character design that is Sokka is some kind of blasphemy.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Ron is a cool character and he deserves more love.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
What makes Ron an rear end in a top hat?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

There is a really good fanfic that I can't find where Ron's ability to make foreshadow-y jokes turns out to actually be his power as a Seer manifesting. (There are also a million bad ones on this theme.) There are very, very few other fics with Ron as the protagonist that are any good as far as I can tell. Forging the Sword is probably the closest, since Harry, Ron, and Hermione are all viewpoint characters in that and it's fantastic.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Ron owns. Anyone who says otherwise reads too much fanfiction.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anyone who can ask "why couldn't it have been follow the butterflies?!" is alright in my book. Ron's saving grace as a character is his low self-esteem which was already taking a battering from his funny clever brothers before Harry and Hermione came along. Rowling has the strength of will to let all of this simmer along for most of the series and uses a deux ex machina to excuse what would be for anyone else an almost terminal case of holding it all in.

But this is getting away from Yud. Yud doesn't see Harry's wizardly deficiencies as a cue to learn from Ron or anyone except maybe Hermione occasionally. He doesn't see why Harry should, because *hero reasons*. That's what makes his version of Harry fundamentally boring.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

What makes Ron an rear end in a top hat?

Have you read Deathly Hallows? He's pretty much non-stop arsehole in that one.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I don't mind Ron but I hate how he's used narratively. Like Rowling would get to a point in a book, realise she needed a conflict, and just say "gently caress it" and make Ron stop talking to Harry and/or Hermione for a dumb reason. Given, I think all three of the trio were more plot-devices than they were characters but pretty much Ron's sole job as a plot-device was to add drama to sections of the book that would otherwise just be kids going to school.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Counterpoint: teenagers in school

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Yeah, teenagers can be super arbitrary and petty. I don't find the spats the trio had in the books unrealistic of real friends that age at all.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Chapter 29: Egocentric Bias

Finally, a subject that Big Yud is an undisputed expert in. :smuggo:

I've struggled with this chapter since I have so little so say about it. This is HPMOR : Ender's Game : The Prologue, and goes on far too long while barely saying anything.

I'm going to act as Yud's editor and stitch together something far closer to what this should have been, one section of a different chapter.

HPMOR posted:

The idea of getting into a Romance with Harry had seemed like an appealing idea at first. She'd read books like that, and if there was anyone in Hogwarts who was a candidate for the heroine's love interest it was obviously Harry Potter. Bright, funny, famous, sometimes scary...

So she'd forced Harry into going on a date with her.

And now she was his love interest.

Or worse, one of the options on his dinner menu.

It was a hard trap to climb out of once you fell in. No matter how high you scored in class, even if you did something that deserved a special dinnertime announcement, it just meant you were rivaling Harry Potter again.

But she thought she'd come up with a way.

Hermione raised her hand to knock upon (Quirrel's) terrible door.

Her hand quite failed to touch the door.

And then the door swung open anyway.

----

(Harry met Hermione in the hallway outside the Defense Professor's office.)

"Um, Hermione, just to check, you know tomorrow is the last day to sign up for Professor Quirrell's armies, right?"

"Yes," Hermione said. "The armies of the evil Professor Quirrell." Her voice was a little angry, though Harry didn't know why, of course.

"Hermione," Harry said, his voice exasperated, "he's not evil. He's a little bit Dark and a whole lot Slytherin. It's not the same as being evil. I've talked to older students," Harry said. "Professor Quirrell could be the only competent Defense Professor we get in all seven years at Hogwarts. Anything else we can learn later. If we want to study Defense, we have to do it this year. The students who sign up for the extracurricular stuff are going to be learning huge amounts..."

"I already signed up, actually," Hermione said, her voice a little quiet.

"So you will be in the armies, then?" Harry's voice was suddenly enthusiastic. "That's awesome, Hermione! I've already gotten my list of soldiers, but I'm sure Professor Quirrell will let me add one more, or trade -"

"I'm not joining your army." Hermione's voice was sharp. She knew it was a reasonable assumption but it still annoyed her.

Harry blinked. "Not Draco Malfoy's, surely. So you want to be in the third army? Even though we don't know who the general is yet?" Harry sounded surprised and a little wounded, and she couldn't blame him, though of course she did blame him, since in fact it was all his fault. "But why not mine?"

"Think about it," Hermione snapped, "and maybe you'll work it out!"

And she sped up her stride and left Harry gaping behind her.

----

"Professor Quirrell," Draco said in his most formal voice, "I must protest your appointment of Hermione Granger as the third general."

"Professor Quirrell," said Harry Potter beside him, "with all due respect to Miss Granger's many outstanding academic talents and the Quirrell points she has justly earned in your classes, her personality is not suited to military command."

"Well then," Professor Quirrell said. "Neither of you seem to have considered a very simple question. Who could I appoint instead of Miss Granger?"

"Blaise Zabini," Draco said without hesitation.

Professor Quirrell looked at Draco. "Mr. Malfoy, no matter how hard he tries, he'll never be able to keep up with you or Mr. Potter."

The shock of it staggered Draco. "You can't believe Granger is going to -"

"He's gambling on her," Harry said quietly. "It's not guaranteed. The odds aren't even good. She'll probably never give us a good fight, and even if she does, it may take her months to learn. But she's the only one in our year with any chance at all of growing to beat us."

"She asked me for the position, Mr. Potter, I did not ask her. She will have a much easier time with the rigors of her position than either of you suspect, and that she will put up a good fight much sooner than you think.""

----

"We should just attack the Granger girl first and get her out of our way," said Draco. "After we crush her, we can have our own contest without any distractions."

"Now that doesn't really seem fair to her, does it?" said Harry in a mild voice.

"What do you care?" said Draco. "She's your rival, right?" Then, with just the right note of suspicion in his voice, "Don't tell me you've started really liking her, after being her rival all this time..."

"Founders forbid," said Harry. "What can I say, Draco? I merely have a natural sense of justice. Granger does too, you know. She has a very firm grasp on good and evil, and she's probably going to attack evil first. Having a name like 'Malfoy' is just asking for it, you know."

drat IT!

A whole lot of the dead weight of this chapter is endless repetition of these basic points. Hermione is sick of being overshadowed, Quirrel likes manipulating children, and Harry and Draco don't have faith in her.

On the chopping room floor we have:

A cute moment.

quote:

It was after lunch on Thursday afternoon, and Hermione and Harry were ensconced in a little library nook, with a Quietus field up so they could talk. Harry was lying stomach-down on the ground with his elbows resting on the floor and his head in his hands and his feet kicking up casually behind him. Hermione was occupying a stuffed chair much too large for her, like she was the Hermione center of a candy shell.

Harry had suggested that they could, as a first pass, read just the titles of all the books in the library, and then Hermione could read all the tables of contents.

Hermione had thought this was a brilliant idea. She'd never done that with a library before.

Unfortunately there was a slight flaw in this plan.

Namely, they were both Ravenclaws.

Hermione was reading a book called Magical Mnemonics.

Harry was reading a book called The Skeptical Wizard.

Each had thought it was just one special exception they would make only this one time, and neither had yet realized it was impossible for either of them to ever finish reading all the book titles no matter how hard they tried.

A ridiculous dig at the "Peggy Sue" genre, wherein someone does a Quantum Leap with future knowledge.

quote:

"Right," Harry said. "Well, to make a long story short, Bill Weasley decided that his little brother Percy's pet rat was Pettigrew's Animagus form -"

Hermione's jaw dropped.

"Yes," Harry said, "you wouldn't exactly expect Evil Pettigrew to be living a sad and furtive life as the pet rat of an enemy wizarding family, he'd either be with the Malfoys or, more likely, off in the Carribean after a bit of plastic surgery. Anyway, Bill knocks out his little brother Percy, stuns and grabs the rat, sends out all these emergency owl messages -"

"Oh, no! " Hermione said, the words torn out of her.

"- and somehow manages to gather Dumbledore, the Minister of Magic, and the Head Auror -"

"He didn't! " said Hermione.

"And of course when they get there they think he's crazy, but they use Veritas Oculum on the rat anyway, just to be sure, and what do they discover?"

She would've died. "A rat."

"You win a cookie! So they dragged poor Bill Weasley off to St. Mungo's and it turned out to be a pretty standard schizophrenic break, it just happens to some people, especially young men around what we'd consider college age. Guy was convinced he was ninety-seven years old and had died and gone back in time to his younger self via train station. And he responded perfectly well to antipsychotics and is back to normal and everything's fine now, except people don't talk as much anymore about Sirius Black conspiracy theories, and you don't ever ask the Weasleys about the family rat."

Draco tries to rattle and/or bribe Hermione, which is just weird and not worth quoting.

And, at the end of the chapter, we skip over Halloween.

quote:

Interlude:

There was a time when October 31st had been called Halloween in magical Britain.

Now it was Harry Potter Day.

Harry had turned down all the offers, even the one from Minister Fudge which might have been good for future political favors and which he really should have gritted his teeth and taken. But to Harry, October 31st would always be The Dark Lord Killed My Parents Day. There should have been a quiet, dignified memorial service somewhere, and if there was one, he hadn't been invited.

Hogwarts got the day off to celebrate. Even the Slytherins didn't dare wear black outside their own dorm. There were special events and special foods and the teachers looked the other way if anyone ran through the hallways. It was the tenth anniversary, after all.

Harry spent the day in his trunk so as not to spoil it for anyone else, eating snack bars in place of meals, reading some of his sadder science fiction books (no fantasy), and writing a letter to Mum and Dad that was much longer than the ones he usually sent.

That's the only bit really worth reading. It's a bit revisionist, but still makes sense in context.

drat this chapter is a slog.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Terrible confession time - I actually like all the battle school stuff. It makes for decent character development for the rest of the cast. It's actually superior to the (in retrospect, actually quite terrible) original, insofar as its not about a lone super-genius in a school full of ostensible geniuses winning the day by daring to (gasp!) come up with the most basic imaginable innovations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xander77 posted:

I actually like all the battle school stuff.
So do I. The only problem I have with it is that it's a massive diversion from the supposed point of this story (but if he'd just written it as its own story instead then I could get behind that).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

There is a really good fanfic

lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Terrible confession time - I actually like all the battle school stuff. It makes for decent character development for the rest of the cast. It's actually superior to the (in retrospect, actually quite terrible) original, insofar as its not about a lone super-genius in a school full of ostensible geniuses winning the day by daring to (gasp!) come up with the most basic imaginable innovations.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8379655/1/Hogwarts-Battle-School

It does the whole Enders Game thing better and is actually complete as a story rather than being part of something else. I imagine you'll really enjoy it if you like this part of HPMOR.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Why go for fanfiction (you human filth) when you can read fanfiction fanfiction? Like Significant Digits, which is a sequel recommended by Yudkow himself! Plenty of more recommendations here.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

lol

Why go for fanfiction (you human filth) when you can read fanfiction fanfiction? Like Significant Digits, which is a sequel recommended by Yudkow himself! Plenty of more recommendations here.

I genuinely recommend that if this thread ever finishes Methods Of Rationality, it moves onto "Ginny Weasley And The Sealed Intelligence". It appears to be sucking Methods' cock at first but gradually reveals itself as a Christian tract wherein Eliezer Harry is the antichrist

21 Muns fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 24, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

e: Wrong thread.

Also :barf: at the thought of reading HPMOR fanfic.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

21 Muns posted:

I genuinely recommend that if this thread ever finishes Methods Of Rationality, it moves onto "Ginny Weasley And The Sealed Intelligence". It appears to be sucking Methods' cock at first but gradually reveals itself as a Christian tract wherein Eliezer Harry is the antichrist
I'd read that if it had some sick big yud burns and was 9700 words long. I'm not quite stupid enough to read 97000 words of it though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

by fanfic standards i meant

though there is fanfiction that's good by normal standards too, that's much rarer though

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

21 Muns posted:

Wait wait wait, you're telling me that somebody wrote an unauthorised Christian spin-off of a Jewish story, in which the protagonists from the original turn into the bad guys at the end :v:?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Argue posted:

There's about to be. Ron's "superpower" will be common sense and being able to take a punch.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Argue posted:

arithmancer hermione would throttle eliezarry within an hour

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Jazerus posted:

arithmancer hermione would throttle eliezarry within an hour

Sold!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

quote:

"-and then, about halfway through the book, when pretty much nothing of substance had happened, I realized that the scene from act 2 with the dude up against the wall was a rape scene, and I closed the book, brought it back to the library, came back home, and stood in the shower for about an hour and a half," Victoria finished. "What's the worst book you've ever read?"

"Well, first and foremost, I actually don't read that many books," Kenji said. "And most of the ones I do read are nonfiction. If I wanna be told a story, I'll watch a movie. But! I have, in fact, read a hilariously horrid thing, and that thing is called Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, and from the name alone I knew I was in for a treat."

"How bad was it?"

"Nobody talked like a real human, McGonagall was the sort of pushover that gets written by a misogynistic high school dropout who never even loving read Harry Potter, and Harry himself was a sociopath in that godawful way that makes you realize the author wasn't trying to write a sociopath, they just did, and then they held it up as a hero figure. Also, Draco Malfoy offhandedly mentions to Harry, the second time they met, that he wanted to rape Luna Lovegood."

"So, uh, how far did you get?"

"I got to the point where Harry throws a temper tantrum in Potions Class and then somehow blackmails Dumbledore with Lord of the Rings references? I'll be honest, I was more than a little lost at that point."

"That sounds awful. I want to read it."

"You really don't."

- in which a rambling Worm fanfic, Vagrant, shows that not even Earth Bet is free of the scourge. And Earth Bet has a friendly AI.

edit: also features "Elijah Yakovlev":

quote:

"No, there's a new guy," Rebecca said. "Bayesian. He's a precog, deals with probabilities. He's, uh... well, do you remember Elijah?"

"The kid who makes Star Wars fans everywhere want to beat him up and take his lunch money?" Teller asked. "The kid whose voice drips with such potent smugness and arrogance, whose face looks so perfectly shaped to cradle your fist? Pathfinder's only son? That kid?"

divabot fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

divabot posted:

- in which a rambling Worm fanfic, Vagrant, shows that not even Earth Bet is free of the scourge. And Earth Bet has a friendly AI.

edit: also features "Elijah Yakovlev":

Ironically, in and of itself an example of a terrible fanfic.

Less terrible than MoR of course. Similar in the sense it's well written, funny at times, but also walls right over canon in the most annoying of ways.