Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Not sure if this graphic essay was posted earlier. Read the rest at Fusion.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I understand the artist feelings here. But it don't need to be. The next 4 years don't need to be defined by Trump, if people don't want to.

Reality (has defined by a single voice) is a concept that was losing since a long time, Trump did not killed journalist, he is only a effect of it, not the cause. Changes like the inventation of the Internet are the causes. Trump is a noise in the night, but there are other noises and space to add your own. Maybe music. Maybe play a different song. For some people the next 4 years will be the happier of their life.

Maybe the dead of reality could be made into a good time. We use to live under a world that would parrot the opinion of very few people, now we can heard one million voices, this is more a democratic world than the one it was before, maybe it can be made into a good world.

Tei fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 18, 2017

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

He'll pivot after the primary debate election electoral vote inauguration!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Fulchrum posted:

As someone who had a breakdown from something similar, even just trying to joke about it might be hiding a very real strain.

Where I go to chill out and feel better after politics drags me down.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

davebo posted:

Aside from having a good message, what I like about Bors' depiction of Trump is how he plays up what I find to be his least attractive feature, which is just how pale the area around his eyes are from the rest of his spray tan. Other people lay on tanning beds with those tiny little glasses that just cover your eyes but he must wear giant ones. I'm looking forward to seeing what just a month or two of being POTUS will do to his physical appearance when he doesn't have time for poo poo like bronzer.

Telnaes includes that detail a lot as well. Speaking of...

This one is titled "Trump's poll numbers are shrinking."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

He's masturbating in that second one, isn't he.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc
it's a really long gif, you can see his hands move five minutes in

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

omfg

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"Yeah, actually, that third section where you veer off at a 90-degree angle, then drive in two big arcs to get to some random cul-de-sac, and then just loving turn around and do them over again to get right back where you started. That's a horrible route. Why are you doing that? Who signed off on this? Why are you making so many U-turns throughout the whole thing? Just drive in a loving straight line, Earl."

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Tei posted:

I understand the artist feelings here. But it don't need to be. The next 4 years don't need to be defined by Trump, if people don't want to.

Reality (has defined by a single voice) is a concept that was losing since a long time, Trump did not killed journalist, he is only a effect of it, not the cause. Changes like the inventation of the Internet are the causes. Trump is a noise in the night, but there are other noises and space to add your own. Maybe music. Maybe play a different song. For some people the next 4 years will be the happier of their life.

Maybe the dead of reality could be made into a good time. We use to live under a world that would parrot the opinion of very few people, now we can heard one million voices, this is more a democratic world than the one it was before, maybe it can be made into a good world.

You are a good poster. :unsmith:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

He's masturbating in that second one, isn't he.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Tei posted:

I'll try to remember that he doesn't matter when we pull out of NATO and Russia invades the Baltic. After all, reality's just a perception right?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Spiffster posted:

"I wonder what Muir is posting" is something you heard us say NEVER! Dear lord tell me that is an edit...

It's not :negative:

Hey now, the current Day By Day is the one with the actual line "'CAUSE YOUR -- UNNHH -- YOUR VAG CAN REALLY TAKE A POUNDING!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

tacodaemon posted:

Hey now, the current Day By Day is the one with the actual line "'CAUSE YOUR -- UNNHH -- YOUR VAG CAN REALLY TAKE A POUNDING!"
Perfectly understandable in context. Muir's insert is using Waifu's VAG, a pink APC named "Victory Against Gummit!" (captured from the DHS, not originally pink), to fight against the hordes of armed illegal immigrants attempting to infiltrate the United States through the insert's ranch while Obama is still president. Of course this exciting plot is second fiddle to the various waifus standing around in skimpy clothing commenting about politics. It couldn't be simpler!

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Rebel Blob posted:

Perfectly understandable in context. Muir's insert is using Waifu's VAG, a pink APC named "Victory Against Gummit!" (captured from the DHS, not originally pink), to fight against the hordes of armed illegal immigrants attempting to infiltrate the United States through the insert's ranch while Obama is still president. Of course this exciting plot is second fiddle to the various waifus standing around in skimpy clothing commenting about politics. It couldn't be simpler!

Muir will die alone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

edit: wait, poo poo, genuine question, is the Ringling Museum in Sarasota, FL going to stay open? I assume so because it's attached to an actual art museum and endowed by John and Mabel Ringling but the Circus Museum might close and that would be a drat shame because it rules.

Yes, it will stay open.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sandpuppy posted:

Gamble loves the classics!

Great timing.

quote:

The British Antarctic Survey is to pull all staff out of its space-age Halley base in March for safety reasons.

The highly unusual move is necessary because the Brunt Ice Shelf on which the research station sits has developed a big new crack.

The move was necessitated by a chasm that had opened up in the shelf and which threatened to cut off Halley. But this huge fissure to the west of the station is not the cause of the temporary closure.

Rather, it is another break in the ice some 17km to the north and east of the new base position. It has been dubbed the "Halloween Crack" because it was discovered on 31 October.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Telnaes needs to unfuck that sense of timing.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Rebel Blob posted:

I'm not sure if i want to believe this, but I 100% don't ever want to check myself so sure

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Rebel Blob posted:

Do I want to know what "DDQ" is?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

tacodaemon posted:

Do I want to know what "DDQ" is?

Daddy/Daughter Quiddich.

It's fine.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Oh my god. Best Bad Reporter in a while.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cpt.Americant posted:

I'll try to remember that he doesn't matter when we pull out of NATO and Russia invades the Baltic. After all, reality's just a perception right?

Lets have some cautious optimism that is not a thing that will happen. Some people is preemptively giving themselves to despair before the bad things happen.
Anyway I was talking about emotions, not making a big statement about the nature of reality.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 18, 2017

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

King Possum III posted:

Wow, the whole rest of the world.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, remember when Bill Leak was put to death?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The rest of the world knows that any cartoonist who draws a disparaging cartoon about God Emperor King Trump is a dead man walking. A good cartoon.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Tei posted:

Lets have some cautious optimism that is not a thing that will happen. Some people is preemptively giving themselves to despair before the bad things happen.

Optimism in the face of an oncoming train isn't optimism, it's idiocy. This isn't normal and it shouldn't be normalized. A vengeful and petty man with a history of praising authoritarians for their authoritarianism and who believes infowars is real news is about to be get all the powers of a very powerful executive branch. It's like being trapped in a room with a baby who has a loaded gun that you can't take away from him for the next four yeas. Sure maybe nothing will happen, but it's most likely going to. Best possible case scenario, we get Paul Ryan/Mike Pence's version of domestic policy while Trump just uses the office to enrich himself. But the thing is, a ruler out to personally enrich themselves are going to make very different kinds of alliances than America currently has. It's going to make America much closer to the kinds of corrupt countries most able to enrich Trump. A nation like Canada or Germany is not going to offer him a bribe, that's something kleptocrats without a strong rule of law do. That's going to re-orient our foreign policy.

The worst case scenario is he does what he promised to do "bomb the hell" out of whoever attacks us. He has asked before if we have nukes why can't we use them? How do we recover from nuking somewhere in the middle east? He traffics in right wing facebook forwards, remember that image that's made rounds about how to "solve the problem" of terrorism by creating the "Ground zero memorial crater" around Mecca. That's the world Trump lives in, the people he retweet are the same people forwarding those kinds of images. What happens if he nukes Mecca? How could America ever recover from that in the next half century? I still know Jewish people who refuse to buy German, and Germany has actually been trying to make up for what it did.

This is also a man who's openly mused about how "strong" Putin is when dealing with the press, even saying maybe he might do the same.

This isn't a matter of perspective, it's a matter of fact. Things are about to get really bad. How bad is yet to be determined, but optimism about it is kinda dumb.

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

Bad Reporter and Stephen Collins make this thread bearable for me, like a cool breeze blowing on your face as you're wading through an endless desert of hot, dry turds.

2017 kicking off with another gorilla death, this doesn't bode well.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's a bad knockoff of Shmorky's style

I thought it looks alot more like Bone.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cpt.Americant posted:

Optimism in the face of an oncoming train isn't optimism, it's idiocy. This isn't normal and it shouldn't be normalized.

I agree that this should not be normalized. What is outrageous now, should be outrageous in a few years. We should not lower the standards.

But people giving themselves to pessimism can end in acceptance if they follow that route. I say that we avoid following the kubler-ross model.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A Pence/Ryan government is seriously more terrifying than Trump/Ryan.

There's some hope that Trump's dearth of experience in politics and lack of loyalty to the Republican Party means we won't get totally hosed and a lot of time is wasted with Trump fighting with Congress to build a wall or whatever. Or just an adminstration generally mired in scandal while Republicans come up countless excuses not to impeach their great white hope.

Pence is scary because it would just be clean, calculated machine of conservatism. He's also mild-mannered enough to put a happy face on the plundering of the nation, and liberals will be all "Well, he's not Trump!" There's a lot more evident fear from a cohesive Republican party.

I mean, I guess Trump could cotton to executive power. he seems legit disinterested in the day-to-day work, but who knows what'll happen when he's in office. I'd say his administration is way too self-interested to let him elevate to some kind of fascist king, preferring to stab him in the back the second it'll benefit them. But Germans tried to assassinate Hitler so who the gently caress knows. I understand the whole unknown quality of Trump in office is enough reason to be scared, but I really don't like the idea of President Pence.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Pants Donkey posted:

A Pence/Ryan government is seriously more terrifying than Trump/Ryan.

There's some hope that Trump's dearth of experience in politics and lack of loyalty to the Republican Party means we won't get totally hosed and a lot of time is wasted with Trump fighting with Congress to build a wall or whatever. Or just an adminstration generally mired in scandal while Republicans come up countless excuses not to impeach their great white hope.

Pence is scary because it would just be clean, calculated machine of conservatism. He's also mild-mannered enough to put a happy face on the plundering of the nation, and liberals will be all "Well, he's not Trump!" There's a lot more evident fear from a cohesive Republican party.

I mean, I guess Trump could cotton to executive power. he seems legit disinterested in the day-to-day work, but who knows what'll happen when he's in office. I'd say his administration is way too self-interested to let him elevate to some kind of fascist king, preferring to stab him in the back the second it'll benefit them. But Germans tried to assassinate Hitler so who the gently caress knows. I understand the whole unknown quality of Trump in office is enough reason to be scared, but I really don't like the idea of President Pence.

Trump may not be looking to convert to full authoritarian, but he could easily (and unwittingly) lay the groundwork for someone who might.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tei posted:

I agree that this should not be normalized. What is outrageous now, should be outrageous in a few years. We should not lower the standards.

But people giving themselves to pessimism can end in acceptance if they follow that route. I say that we avoid following the kubler-ross model.

Yes, let's stay optimist! Trump is very attached to the American soil, especially in continental United States. You're a nation he loves, he'll make sure you guys are Number 1. And you know he's actually a very peace and love guy, he won't risk a war with his buddy Pootin (who will however have to remain Number 2). Perhaps everything will be golden, and you can bet that within four years during the carrier photo op, he'll stand in front of a banner proudly proclaiming "Miction Accomplished".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Starving Wolf posted:

2017 kicking off with another gorilla death, this doesn't bode well.

The Gorilla nation will from now on hold yearly ritualistic deaths, in accordance with the ancient invocation rites of terrible years, until the humans sort their poo poo out.

(Last time they did this Krakatoa blew its top)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

a banner proudly proclaiming "Miction Accomplished".

God help me I laughed.

• Locked thread