Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The very existence of that bonfire, that I saw no enemies walking to from the nearest bonfire, offends me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is the information in the OP last updated in 2015 about graphical and other mods triggering false VAC bans still true in the year 2017? If not, what would be the best layout of mods to get?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Are there even mods for the SotFS edition?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Futaba Anzu posted:

Is the information in the OP last updated in 2015 about graphical and other mods triggering false VAC bans still true in the year 2017? If not, what would be the best layout of mods to get?

I'd play it safe and say "Yes". Not actually VAC bans as such, but 'softbans' that curse you to forever be only able to multiplay with other softbanned people (ie, a small fraction of the online population). You will NOT be informed if this happens to you.

I got my main steam account permanently softbanned in SotFS because I dared to use DS2Fix (which at the time was literally only used to prevent hackers from crashing/corrupting your game with hacked items/player names, and was made by the same guy who made the mandatory and non-bannable DSFix), and in the very long, drawn out, and fruitless process of trying to get myself un-banned, got official confirmation from Bandai/Namco that you can get banned for pretty much anything, including graphical mods and even mods that let you use non-standard controllers.

The whole banning process is handled by FROM software, is incredibly opaque, and has literally no recourse, dispute process, or means of reversing it... so don't risk it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It has been confirmed that you can get softbanned by using fraps (me), DS2fix, BetterDS3, twitch recording tools and anything that is a hook that isn't steam's overlay. You can use cheat engine but make sure you are offline and just do it to hack in a few upgrading items and such. Hell, in DS3 you can get softbanned even if you go offline for hacking in a few titanite slabs since there's a limited number of them on a single playthrough.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sorry for asking about this here, but I'm looking for a video where some people are playing together and Maldron the Assassin shows up (in the Ivory King DLC), starts fighting, then suddenly bugs out and stops reacting entirely to everything around him, before suddenly going back to normal. Would anyone happen to have that handy?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can someone tell me what makes the alva armor so good? i looked up what the best armor is, so i could upgrade it before going to ng+, and everyone says that one is. but when i compare the stats with my agdynes armor, it seems mostly way worse. does it get like way better when you upgrade it, while other armors dont?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Davincie posted:

can someone tell me what makes the alva armor so good? i looked up what the best armor is, so i could upgrade it before going to ng+, and everyone says that one is. but when i compare the stats with my agdynes armor, it seems mostly way worse. does it get like way better when you upgrade it, while other armors dont?

it's the best light armor set that can be upgraded using regular titanite I'm guessing

i just committed to wearing the invisible set and just never getting hit i havent died to an enemy yet but i have rolled off ledges and killed myself about 20 times now. i think this is a worthwhile tradeoff

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I generally just go for various strains of Fashion Souls that still fit the 70% weight limit. Which isn't to say that armor and poise aren't meaningful (as a 9 VIT run made me grudgingly admit), but they're not necessarily worth min-maxing for beyond mono-element bosses like Darklurker.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Honestly, armour is useless in Dark Souls for anything other than Fashion Souls, except maybe at very low levels. Armour only helps a tiny amount if you're getting hit (without having a shield up) and if you're getting hit (without having a shield up) you're doing it wrong.

That said, my crazy-high level character was/is rocking the Crown of the Iron King with the Drakekeeper body armour bits (because they look way cooler than Havel's), the Defender's Shield and the Crypt Blacksword and he looks fabulous. Took a huge investment in levels to stay under 70%, but still: fabulous.

He spent most of his career as a Sorcerer. :P

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i got almost all my stuff done now before going into new game plus, so one final question. if i join the bell keepers and wear their ring, can i be summoned for them in ng+ before i find them again?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Davincie posted:

i got almost all my stuff done now before going into new game plus, so one final question. if i join the bell keepers and wear their ring, can i be summoned for them in ng+ before i find them again?

Yeah you'll be fine, starting a new game doesn't sever your covenant.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

You probably won't be summoned much because it's less active by NG+/the soul memory you're probably at. I expected to get summoned more during NG+ so I could get Hidden Weapon but I ended up having to farm Mad Warrior.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Is there an NPC Invader in the Shrine of Amana called Amana Guardian? Because holy poo poo they out did themselves with the loving troll invader on that one. Just hanging out from up a higher collapsed pillar as I fought him, all the Amara sorcerers, the shiny glitter demons and then huge mace knight. Constantly regening with miracles making this a tired as gently caress half hour. At that point I made a bum rush for the shrine only to be killed because I was genuinely out of Estus for this bullshit war of attrition whatever.

Then get invaded again by the same guy and get swarmed only to have a bad moment of misjudging stamina and die to his lovely bow.

Jesus gently caress I think this is the first time I've just put down my controller in disgust.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think that's a player trolling you, I've never seen that before.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
that sounds like a lot of fun actually

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I always think it's cool when players create characters for PVP that you can't really tell at first if they're an NPC invader or another player.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That was a player.

Very few people invade in Shrine of Amana because, well... a lot of people think it's incredibly cruel.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Roctavian posted:

You probably won't be summoned much because it's less active by NG+/the soul memory you're probably at. I expected to get summoned more during NG+ so I could get Hidden Weapon but I ended up having to farm Mad Warrior.

Ng cycles do not affect summoning FYI.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

for what its worth i didn't get summoned at all in the time it took me to get back to the belfry again, so the high soul memory i have probably does hinder me since everyone at that level is kneedeep in the dlc

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

That was a player.

Very few people invade in Shrine of Amana because, well... a lot of people think it's incredibly cruel.

Cruel to the invader when you pop that Giant Tree Seed that is.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Patty is starting DS2 blind. He's done Ds1 and 3 so not completely blind to mechanics though. His other runs were very entertaining. Worth a watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/patty

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
You never know. The NPC invader Maldron is a super troll. Outtrolls most human invaders.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

In the Forest of Fallen Giants there are some shiny loot spots I can't figure out how to get to. From the Cardinal Tower bonfire, if you go out the entryway there's an overlook where you can see the trees and platforms all the way to the ground. The ground area had the cave with the fire lizard and the fire sword. From the overlook up top, you can see some loot to your right but it's high up and seemingly inaccessible. The jump looks too far to make from the overlook and there doesn't seem to be a way from the ground either. How do I get up there?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can't get it until later

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Much much later you will figure out how to get there.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

You can make the jump if you can survive the fall damage. It's not even that difficult to do.

VVVV With a bit of luck those 4 prism stones could easily become 4 fading souls. Can you imagine the power you'd have then?

Flython fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 24, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It's not even good loot. 4 prism stones is one of them

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Jolo posted:

In the Forest of Fallen Giants there are some shiny loot spots I can't figure out how to get to. From the Cardinal Tower bonfire, if you go out the entryway there's an overlook where you can see the trees and platforms all the way to the ground. The ground area had the cave with the fire lizard and the fire sword. From the overlook up top, you can see some loot to your right but it's high up and seemingly inaccessible. The jump looks too far to make from the overlook and there doesn't seem to be a way from the ground either. How do I get up there?

If you do a perfect falling attack you can attack the lizards for a special animation and take either no/reduced damage. That being said, you will die to those lizards eventually if you try to get down there that way, it's good only for getting the treasure there early.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Despite having olayed this for hundreds of hours, and ds1 and ds3 and bb, I'm not understanding how scaling works in this game.

I'm doing my caestus build, and my +10 caestus say they have A scaling in str and dex. At 40 str, I stopped gaining damage, which makes sense, so I went to level dex next. Why don't I gain any damage going from 12 to 13 dex with A scaling?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snak posted:

Despite having olayed this for hundreds of hours, and ds1 and ds3 and bb, I'm not understanding how scaling works in this game.

I'm doing my caestus build, and my +10 caestus say they have A scaling in str and dex. At 40 str, I stopped gaining damage, which makes sense, so I went to level dex next. Why don't I gain any damage going from 12 to 13 dex with A scaling?

The scalings are simply percentile modifiers that are needlessly obfuscated behind a weird rating system, and certain ratings don't always mean the same thing (A scaling on one weapon might be, say, 135% of your STR, while A scaling on another weapon might be 140% instead). In the case of the Caestus, it just means that you're probably only going to see gains from investing in DEX every second point you invest in it or so.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I knew that, but what's the point of caestus starting out as A B and going to A A when you upgrade it, if the A in dex is so lovely it might as well be a C...

Meanwhile, the A in strength means 3 points of damage per point in strength.

Edit: gently caress the loving sack of poo poo that just invaded me in shrine of amana. gently caress tbis garbage zone.

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 25, 2017

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

For reasons that I do not quite understand, dex scaling is super worse than strength scaling universally. An S in STR is about twice as effective as an S in DEX. Maybe they wanted to balance out the issue in DS1 where str weapons were mostly useless? Whatever the reason, the result is that now most generic dex weapons are bad instead and only a few are really worth using.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seek Strength, the rest will follow.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Gologle posted:

If you do a perfect falling attack you can attack the lizards for a special animation and take either no/reduced damage. That being said, you will die to those lizards eventually if you try to get down there that way, it's good only for getting the treasure there early.

I went through the doorway you unlock with a key and killed the 3 or 4 lizards down there but still didn't find my way to this stuff. *Note: I am an idiot who ran around in circles in the gutter last night for an hour yelling at the screen like a crazy person*

Edit: OK just realized I can't get to it until even later. I figured that Flame Salamander cave had a pathway to it I couldn't find.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 25, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Amppelix posted:

For reasons that I do not quite understand, dex scaling is super worse than strength scaling universally. An S in STR is about twice as effective as an S in DEX. Maybe they wanted to balance out the issue in DS1 where str weapons were mostly useless? Whatever the reason, the result is that now most generic dex weapons are bad instead and only a few are really worth using.

Dex weapons attack more often, and DS2 scaling doesn't work off of base damage like DS1 did, instead being based off of your character's [stat] ATK numbers. Adding the same flat amount to a weapon that attacks more often results in a much larger gain in DPS, apparently to the point they felt they had to tone it down. They could have chosen to nerf the rate at which the Dex ATK is raised instead, but I suppose they wanted to keep the character sheet consistent while scaling letters + underlying numbers were inconsistent anyway due to how on/off-element infusion elemental scaling works.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was reminded of this video and it still owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Th96wgegHw

Thank god for From never fixing these guys.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So apparently I had SOTFS on PS4 without realizing. :psyduck:

Is the community still strong enough for some solid co-op play? SOTFS is almost completely fresh so this is going to be kind of novel. Plus I get to hear the satisfying kerplunk of trophies again. :buddy:

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I just started playing this game, after being a huge From software fan since the King's Field franchise, through Eternal Ring through Demon's and Dark Souls 1.

After playing it for about 5 hours, I'm pretty sure I don't like it very much.

The ambiance is still solid From software dire solitude, but the character movement, camera and health systems seem really poorly designed. And this is after just finishing my second playthrough of DS1 two weeks ago, so it's not that I'm rusty or anything.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Does it get better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Blasphemeral posted:

I just started playing this game, after being a huge From software fan since the King's Field franchise, through Eternal Ring through Demon's and Dark Souls 1.

After playing it for about 5 hours, I'm pretty sure I don't like it very much.

The ambiance is still solid From software dire solitude, but the character movement, camera and health systems seem really poorly designed. And this is after just finishing my second playthrough of DS1 two weeks ago, so it's not that I'm rusty or anything.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Does it get better?

The character movement and camera are the things that I feel DS2 heavily improved on DS1 considering how clunky the first felt. And I never really found an issue with the death health system because if you looked at it at a "how many hits can I take?" point of view, it really only ever reduced it down from like 5ish to 3ish at half health, or 2 to 1 for big gently caress you attacks.