Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

They look hilariously tiny and underwhelming, especially for an uber MS. Like Mika wouldn't even consider stealing those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think whats really deflating is that we've seen Mika at full throttle and theres really no one that can match him other than maybe mecha galio (Which is a huge wildcard because he hasn't done poo poo yet). Even if McG gets Bael, how is he going to outperform him?

Also there is another Gundam in the OP as well as Julietas rEINginlaze

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think whats really deflating is that we've seen Mika at full throttle and theres really no one that can match him other than maybe mecha galio (Which is a huge wildcard because he hasn't done poo poo yet). Even if McG gets Bael, how is he going to outperform him?

Mika at full power is effectively a berserker. He relies entirely on the fact he is faster and more ruthless than his enemies to win and in fact his full-throttle attack on the MA involves basically getting torn apart and kind of getting lucky that it wasn't a double-KO. He's scary but that scariness involves the fact that he's superior to his opponents who largely are inept and useless pilots. McGillis isn't an untalented pilot and has shown himself smart enough to take advantage of enemy weaknesses.

Like yeah, Mika is scary and talented but as far as pure piloting skill goes he isn't that good a pilot. (Though obviously he isn't crappy either.) He's just someone who is both incredibly self-destructive and incredibly ruthless and that puts him over the edge because nobody can really overcome his brute force approach to things, especially with his A-V system and Gundam amplifying him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 18, 2017

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If you take McGillis at his word (not a great idea) that he wants to reform Gjallerhorn at any cost, I could absolutely see him getting an AV system installed to make him the series final boss, particularly considering how rock hard he appeared to get watching Mika go to town on the mobile armor. Alternatively it could be that the baal specs are to a Gundam what a gundam is to a graze, but even with how they are hyping the baal that feels a little unlikely.

There is also the very real possibility that McGillis isn't going to be the final boss in terms of combat. I wouldn't be surprised to see another mobile armor take the field as just one example.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

If you take McGillis at his word (not a great idea) that he wants to reform Gjallerhorn at any cost, I could absolutely see him getting an AV system installed to make him the series final boss, particularly considering how rock hard he appeared to get watching Mika go to town on the mobile armor. Alternatively it could be that the baal specs are to a Gundam what a gundam is to a graze, but even with how they are hyping the baal that feels a little unlikely.

There is also the very real possibility that McGillis isn't going to be the final boss in terms of combat. I wouldn't be surprised to see another mobile armor take the field as just one example.

Looking at the bruises he had on his back as a kid and his utmost desire for Bael, I suspect he already has AV implants and has had them all along.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looking at the bruises he had on his back as a kid and his utmost desire for Bael, I suspect he already has AV implants and has had them all along.

That would actually own because shirtless mika vs shirtless chocolate man would be some metal gear level poo poo specially with choco mans boner for mika.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As much as I would love this, the whiskers are obvious enough that they would've been noticed by now if he had them. It would've definitely been an issue with Gaelio and considering how, uh, snuggly he gets with Elmira (:stonklol:) she would've noticed a weird lump on his back, as well.

The bruises were probably from abuse, though I'm not sure if it was ever made clear who caused them.

Edit: I'm really enjoying that the final boss of the show is potentially up for grabs; normally McGillis in the Bael would've been a given, but it's entirely possible (and feasible) for it to be someone else.

a computer ghost fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 18, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Mika at full power is effectively a berserker. He relies entirely on the fact he is faster and more ruthless than his enemies to win and in fact his full-throttle attack on the MA involves basically getting torn apart and kind of getting lucky that it wasn't a double-KO. He's scary but that scariness involves the fact that he's superior to his opponents who largely are inept and useless pilots. McGillis isn't an untalented pilot and has shown himself smart enough to take advantage of enemy weaknesses.

Like yeah, Mika is scary and talented but as far as pure piloting skill goes he isn't that good a pilot. (Though obviously he isn't crappy either.) He's just someone who is both incredibly self-destructive and incredibly ruthless and that puts him over the edge because nobody can really overcome his brute force approach to things, especially with his A-V system and Gundam amplifying him.

Yeah, Mika has never fought someone who had a plan specifically to defeat Mika.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Mika's direct, and most of his opponents are kind of middling at best, but everything the show has said and shown has been about how, yes, he is that good.

His personal style of good is self-destructive and ruthless, sure, but he's got more than just his killcount. Even attributing his victories over enemy aces to his ruthless attitude and the Gundam as a big stick, there's a moment in early season 2 that cements Mika as an exceptionally talented pilot.

The big fight with Dawn Horizon, in one of those touches that links IBO closer to the Universal Century than most AUs, has a few scenes of the various Mobiles Suits repairing, refueling, and reloading. Mika checks in for a basic reload midway in, and the show makes a point of mentioning (Through Hush, in his pre-Genos phase) that Mikazui has moved more than any other Tekkadan mobile suit... while using the least fuel of anyone.

McGillis and Julieta, the two best "standard" pilots in the series (we don't know what Vidar's deal is, exactly, but we can be pretty sure he has A Deal), are both in awe of Mika's piloting.

This isn't Loran in Turn A, a middling-to-decent pilot who wins because his MS is amazing and his opponents are mostly chumps. He's closest to late game Amuro, where his machine is high end, but the real slaughterhouse potential comes from the pilot.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Don't talk poo poo on Loran. He's probably one of the best pilots in the show because no one knows how to pilot anything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Belzac posted:

Don't talk poo poo on Loran. He's probably one of the best pilots in the show because no one knows how to pilot anything.

Hey, I wasn't talking poo poo. Loran's cool. He's a perfectly decent pilot in a setting with exactly one really good pilot, and a lot of really bad pilots.

It's just that he's a decent pilot in an unbelievably broken Mobile Suit, while Mikazuki is a terrifying and monstrous pilot in a pretty good mobile suit.

Loran's real skillset is being a decent, calm, and levelheaded person despite being the hero of a Gundam series. Mikazuki... Mikazuki isn't so good at that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's hard to say the Gundams are just pretty good since we've just recently discovered there's still a lot they're holding back.

I guess what I mean is that I would have agreed with you until a few episodes ago.:v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, Mika has never fought someone who had a plan specifically to defeat Mika.

Mika did in fact fight someone who was less talented than McGillis and who none the less pushed him probably harder than anyone else in the series did just by actually going in with a real plan, yes.

Mika is absolutely a talented pilot but he has explicit weaknesses and (like most Gundam characters) relies on his technological advantage to cover up for 'em.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 18, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'd argue Mika is too level-headed, most of the time. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Adel posted:

They look hilariously tiny and underwhelming, especially for an uber MS. Like Mika wouldn't even consider stealing those.

They're the same kind of weapons McGillis has always used since he had the option to choose, and about the same size. They may also have some extra gimmick that we can't see because they're not coloured, like the Grimgerde's ultra-hard alloy on its swords. In fact, since McGillis has known about and wanted the Bael for almost his whole life since being adopted by Iznario, I can't help but wonder if his loadouts for the Grimgerde and Graze Ritter were his way of practicing for this day. As for what makes it dangerous, I suspect that it'll be more about the wielder than the weapon. It would absolutely make sense for a legendary figure like Agnika Kaeru to achieve his amazing feats in one of the simplest, plainest Gundams, and for the ASW-G-01 to be a basic design made before the engineers started getting adventurous. McGillis, meanwhile, is hands-down the best, smartest pilot in the solar system (now Galan is dead, anyway - being able to do what he did in an obsolete training suit was just insane). He's at least as dangerous as any other member of the cast even when fighting at a lower tech-level than them, so him finally getting a Gundam he's been training to use for his entire life should tip the balance considerably.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

This isn't Loran in Turn A, a middling-to-decent pilot who wins because his MS is amazing

The Turn-A might have been amazing in theory, but in practice it wasn't actually that great a unit for most of the series. The Turn-A doesn't even have weapons for a good chunk of the show; the beam sabers only being found by Sochie in epiosde 9 while it doesn't get a gun of any kind until episode 22 (though it's found in 21, just not used since there's no real fight in that episode). The 5 episodes from episode 3 until episode 8, Loran basically hops around kicking, punching and throwing mobile suits because he lacks any weapons. It also gets it's head caved in from a simple punch by Harry's SUMO. It proves a lot hardier later in the show and can tank the Turn-X's Bloody Siege beam barrage, so it may just have "healed" over time thanks to the nanomachines or something, but either way, around episode 14 it takes damage from a very simple attack. Loran also doesn't use it's most distinctive ability, the Moonlight Butterfly until 44 or 45 episodes in. At one point when it needs to attack a Moonrace ship that's flying above him he just has to get Sochie in her Kapool to continuously launch him from the ocean's surface using jockey stirrup throws so he can slash at the ship's engines at the peak of each jump until they fail. And that's about 30+ episodes in, not the very start. It can't properly fly until near the end of the show when the Moonlight Butterfly is found. The actual thrusters he used to help extend his jumps weren't even something the unit could use until episode 12 (I think), because they were locked up in dirt until Loran needed to escape from falling in to lava and pushed the unit beyond it's previous limits (somewhat akin to Mika unlocking more of Barbatos' power I guess).

The Turn-A is essentially always just powerful enough to match the show's enemies. So at the beginning when there's hopes of peace talks and things are going relatively smoothly the unit has no weapons, but really only fights some WaDs and WaDoms. When Corin shows up and is more aggressive with his Eagail, the beam sabers come along. Just before things get more unstable, the Moonrace starts digging up new suits and the nuke goes off the beam rifle is found. It's only a couple of episodes from the end when the Turn-X fully shows up (as opposed to being just a head) that the Moonlight Butterfly comes in to play, the Turn-A getting faster and more tanky due to it (since it has a barrier driven by the pilot's willpower). And even then, it spends about 3 of those episodes in enemy hands.

Edit: Loran may also be one of the best shots in the entire franchise, since he not only shoots lasers out of the air several times during the show, he also shoots the cannon and leg off another unit using just two shots by putting a SUMO in an armlock, and forcing the SUMO to fire it's gun at the enemy unit since the Turn-A has no gun of it's own. That may not put him tip top aim wise, but it's certainly up there regardless.

Darth Walrus posted:

now Galan is dead, anyway - being able to do what he did in an obsolete training suit was just insane

The Geirail wasn't a training suit. It was obsolete, since it was a pre-Graze unit, but it wasn't a training unit. Even then, according to the HG manual it had been fixed up using parts of old prototypes and units that were to be scrapped due to overall damage so that it only looked like a Geirail externally.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 18, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

The Turn-A might have been amazing in theory, but in practice it wasn't actually that great a unit for most of the series. The Turn-A doesn't even have weapons for a good chunk of the show; the beam sabers only being found by Sochie in epiosde 9 while it doesn't get a gun of any kind until episode 22 (though it's found in 21, just not used since there's no real fight in that episode). The 5 episodes from episode 3 until episode 8, Loran basically hops around kicking, punching and throwing mobile suits because he lacks any weapons. It also gets it's head caved in from a simple punch by Harry's SUMO. It proves a lot hardier later in the show and can tank the Turn-X's Bloody Siege beam barrage, so it may just have "healed" over time thanks to the nanomachines or something, but either way, around episode 14 it takes damage from a very simple attack. Loran also doesn't use it's most distinctive ability, the Moonlight Butterfly until 44 or 45 episodes in. At one point when it needs to attack a Moonrace ship that's flying above him he just has to get Sochie in her Kapool to continuously launch him from the ocean's surface using jockey stirrup throws so he can slash at the ship's engines at the peak of each jump until they fail. And that's about 30+ episodes in, not the very start. It can't properly fly until near the end of the show when the Moonlight Butterfly is found. The actual thrusters he used to help extend his jumps weren't even something the unit could use until episode 12 (I think), because they were locked up in dirt until Loran needed to escape from falling in to lava and pushed the unit beyond it's previous limits (somewhat akin to Mika unlocking more of Barbatos' power I guess).

The Turn-A is essentially always just powerful enough to match the show's enemies. So at the beginning when there's hopes of peace talks and things are going relatively smoothly the unit has no weapons, but really only fights some WaDs and WaDoms. When Corin shows up and is more aggressive with his Eagail, the beam sabers come along. Just before things get more unstable, the Moonrace starts digging up new suits and the nuke goes off the beam rifle is found. It's only a couple of episodes from the end when the Turn-X fully shows up (as opposed to being just a head) that the Moonlight Butterfly comes in to play, the Turn-A getting faster and more tanky due to it (since it has a barrier driven by the pilot's willpower). And even then, it spends about 3 of those episodes in enemy hands.

Edit: Loran may also be one of the best shots in the entire franchise, since he not only shoots lasers out of the air several times during the show, he also shoots the cannon and leg off another unit using just two shots by putting a SUMO in an armlock, and forcing the SUMO to fire it's gun at the enemy unit since the Turn-A has no gun of it's own. That may not put him tip top aim wise, but it's certainly up there regardless.

The Geirail wasn't a training suit. It was obsolete, since it was a pre-Graze unit, but it wasn't a training unit. Even then, according to the HG manual it had been fixed up using parts of old prototypes and units that were to be scrapped due to overall damage so that it only looked like a Geirail externally.

The untranslated Japanese parts of the manual mention that the Geirail is only used these days by Gjallarhorn as a trainer, and Ebikawa tweeted that the mods on Galan's suit were just a few internal parts meant to disguise its signature, not performance-boosters. Given that Julietta mentions he trained her, I can't suspect that before he became Galan Mossa, he was an Arianrhod Fleet instructor who simply had the serial numbers filed off one of his training machines to make it a plausible mercenary suit.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

Mika did in fact fight someone who was less talented than McGillis and who none the less pushed him probably harder than anyone else in the series did just by actually going in with a real plan, yes.

Mika is absolutely a talented pilot but he has explicit weaknesses and (like most Gundam characters) relies on his technological advantage to cover up for 'em.

oh yeah, I forgotten that he almost got beat early in season 1 a couple times. When they used the wire claws on the Schwalbe Graze to limit his mobility, and when Lafter was in a suit that gave her an advantage in mobility, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

oh yeah, I forgotten that he almost got beat early in season 1 a couple times. When they used the wire claws on the Schwalbe Graze to limit his mobility, and when Lafter was in a suit that gave her an advantage in mobility, right?

Yeah, the first time that Galio brought out his Gundam and he and Ein basically worked their rear end off to try to counter Mika is I think the absolute closest time he came to defeat aside from Lafter and him basically double-killing each other. The one time he fought McGillis also had McGillis noticing flaws in his fighting style that he could take advantage of, though it's hard to say how many of those Mika's outgrown by this point.

I admit that whoever the final boss is I kind of am hoping they're not defined by having the strongest A-V system or whatever just because I'd genuinely like to see Mika having to deal with someone who is a tricky unfair motherfucker as opposed to just someone with more raw power like Ein kind of was. It wouldn't be terrible if it was about A-V systems considering the themes of the show, more just a personal hope.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 19, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What if the final boss is...Mika himself!!!!??????!!!!!?????

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

What if the final boss is...Mika himself!!!!??????!!!!!?????

Pretty easy fight, tbh.

Mika's been steadily killing him this whole season.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

The untranslated Japanese parts of the manual mention that the Geirail is only used these days by Gjallarhorn as a trainer, and Ebikawa tweeted that the mods on Galan's suit were just a few internal parts meant to disguise its signature, not performance-boosters. Given that Julietta mentions he trained her, I can't suspect that before he became Galan Mossa, he was an Arianrhod Fleet instructor who simply had the serial numbers filed off one of his training machines to make it a plausible mercenary suit.

I guess I'd tend to think of a training suit as something with no real weaponry and the engine and capabilities deliberately diminished to help ensure students can't hurt themselves or each rather than just a normal suit used for training purposes like that implies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I guess I'd tend to think of a training suit as something with no real weaponry and the engine and capabilities deliberately diminished to help ensure students can't hurt themselves or each rather than just a normal suit used for training purposes like that implies.

The implication, I guess, is that the Geirail doesn't need to be tuned down any further than it already is. :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Reginlaze Julia

Lupus Rex

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Reginlaze Jehuty

Couldn't resist.

I like the Barbatos Lupus better, just because it looked like a logical evolution of the original Barbatos with the cannon forearm-mounts (keeps Mika's hands free to hold big smashy weapons while not leaving him entirely close-range most of the time). Plus it's a shame to see the Tekkadan shoulders go. Any idea what the things on the arms do? My guess is extendo-arms, personally.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Couldn't resist.

I like the Barbatos Lupus better, just because it looked like a logical evolution of the original Barbatos with the cannon forearm-mounts (keeps Mika's hands free to hold big smashy weapons while not leaving him entirely close-range most of the time). Plus it's a shame to see the Tekkadan shoulders go. Any idea what the things on the arms do? My guess is extendo-arms, personally.

My money's on pop-out guns, like the Alex

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It looks half Gundam, half mole person.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

My money's on pop-out guns, like the Alex

I doubt it, because Mikazuki's never been big on firearms. He'll use them, to great effect, but his biggest strength has always been in crushing cockpits with melee weapons.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
From the opening, it fires something and uses extendo-claw.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Also something posted in reddit

Those colors are not what I expected, but it definitely fits McG.

And Rexs back attachment seems to be an extendo tail from the Hashmal

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 20, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh, hey, those are literally just the leftover swords from the Grimgerde. Well, he does already know he can kill a Gundam with those, sooo...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, hey, those are literally just the leftover swords from the Grimgerde. Well, he does already know he can kill a Gundam with those, sooo...

I donno, we have good evidence that apparently those swords SUCK at killing Gundam pilots.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The oversized arms, legs and the tail really does make the lupus rex look like a loving animal in gundam form

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 20, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cao Ni Ma posted:

And Rexs back attachment seems to be an extendo tail from the Hashmal

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The oversized arms, legs and the tail really does make the lupus rex look like a loving animal in gundam form

So we got a knightly, winged Gundam going up against a spiky monster

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

This is not a design that looks good with the classic Gundam tricolor.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

So we got a knightly, winged Gundam going up against a spiky monster

The multitudes marvelled, saying It was never so seen in Israel.

But the Pharisees said, "He casteth out devils through the prince of the devils."

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I still think the Rex looks like a digimon :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Love the palette choice, as Guy Goodbody said it really invokes the image of a holy knight. Also it had the power button symbol on its shoulder so I guess manufacturer logo confirmed?

What are the chances of seeing Bael vs Epyon in a SRW game?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Adel posted:

Pretty high, IBO would work really well with Wing and SRW has shown that it likes having the child soldiers meet each other, seeing the amount of games with Heero, Setsuna and Sousuke in them.

Although it'd probably be less Bael vs Epyon and more a team-up of Chars. I can't imagine McGillis using that for Tekkadan's sake.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Adel posted:

I still think the Rex looks like a digimon :colbert:

Love the palette choice, as Guy Goodbody said it really invokes the image of a holy knight. Also it had the power button symbol on its shoulder so I guess manufacturer logo confirmed?

I feel like tallegeese II is a better comparison. Particularly the color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Couldn't resist.

Nah, Julietta isn't a big enough dick.

• Locked thread