Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

i am tim! posted:

EDIT: vvv Everybody got to start from one of four basic classes, Fighter, Scout, Mage and Priest, and then specialize from there. First to one of three sub rolls (IE Fighter would become a Warrior, Brawler or Crusader), and then to two final classes for each of the three sub rolls with a sort of "Good & Evil" theme (IE Crusader would become a Paladin or Shadow Knight).

That reminds me. I'm not sure if all the classes required it, but I recall that you needed to fulfill some of your unique class quests in a solo instance. Some of them were a real bitch when the game first came out. I had to abuse a bug for my Swashbuckler to single pull targets due to how poorly balanced the game was and the anemic selection of gear.

Everything in EQ2 looks like its made out of shimmering play-doh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Bieeardo posted:

I tried EQ2 three times. The first time was relatively early in its development; I think Frogloks hadn't been released, and the entire tutorial sequence was on a boat. I made landfall after some lovely fighting, and quit.

Yeah that's the one if you got to Freeport; I made a wizard, shot two rats and a goblin, and then that was it.

Everything looks SO bad in that loving game. The Asian models look a lot better but they still look rear end.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

inflatable fish posted:

weren't Massively also really enthusiastic about Wildstar?

They were massively (haha) bias. I was once banned from Massively because they openly praised Wildstar for having a subscription, while days before they had absolutely roasted ESO for it's sub fee, even though they were identical in price. Pointed out in a comment the double standard, immediately got slapped with a ban for "trolling".

John Dyne posted:

apparently Massively disagreed with you six years ago

because they still show it proudly on their website

I mean, they aren't wrong. In terms of sheer content, EQ2 is pretty high up there. There is a lot of stuff to do in EQ2, and they've adopted the WoW style "all old expansions are free, just buy the new one" style of selling content plus having a F2P version as well. So even without paying a cent, you get a lot of game.

Now whether that content is good or not is up to the individual, but there is a lot of it.

Archonex posted:

All that being said it does have some amazing fluff features to pad out the world though.

There isn't a lot I will praise EQ2 for but housing is absolutely one of them. Hands down EQ2 has amazing player housing and I would die to have that in any other game.

Except Wildstar.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

There isn't a lot I will praise EQ2 for but housing is absolutely one of them. Hands down EQ2 has amazing player housing and I would die to have that in any other game.

Except Wildstar.

The funny thing is wildstar housing is the one thing almost everyone agrees was "Gotten right"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Japanese version oF EQ2 was even more special because Square published it through PlayOnline.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Bombogenesis posted:

I like how EQ2 let your character learn other languages. I didn't like how I had to grind 1,000 of whatever race(s) spoke that language, hoping for a set of drops, to do it.

Wait, so, to learn a new language you had to commit genocide on the people who spoke it? Seems a little counter-intuitive if ya ask me.

Also, chiming in on the Rift talk a few pages back, it's a shame what a ghostland that game's become. I played it for a while and really enjoyed the customization options, both in terms of cosmetics and your class. The soul/tree/root system was pretty rad, and I wish I knew of another game that offered that kind of flexibility.

Rift honestly seems like it stopped evolving right around when Wrath of the Lich King came out and instead opted to make its in-game store a hellscape moneysink.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Wait, so, to learn a new language you had to commit genocide on the people who spoke it? Seems a little counter-intuitive if ya ask me.

Also, chiming in on the Rift talk a few pages back, it's a shame what a ghostland that game's become. I played it for a while and really enjoyed the customization options, both in terms of cosmetics and your class. The soul/tree/root system was pretty rad, and I wish I knew of another game that offered that kind of flexibility.

Rift honestly seems like it stopped evolving right around when Wrath of the Lich King came out and instead opted to make its in-game store a hellscape moneysink.

uhhh, rift came out like 3 years after wotlk launched - i'm pretty sure it came out just before the (pretty terrible) zandalari patch during cataclysm

rift stopped evolving almost as soon as it launched - not a lot of the new content they added was anything particularly new or interesting

if rift actually had a story worth caring about, the combat was tighter, and the graphics weren't consistently muddy it would have done a lot better than it did

the developer being trion didnt help, since they only seem interested in whales

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
My favorite lovely thing about Rift was that the Rifts weren't even that dynamic once the devs got done "fixing" what made them special.

It was a selling point prior to release that the Rift's could actually change the way each zone worked. Areas could get captured and overrun by enemies, they could bolster each other, and patrols would literally hunt your rear end down if they took over enough of the zone to get set up in it.

This was true in early and mid beta. There were some epic fights in the first few zones against the AI back then that probably have a few stories still floating around. But then they nerfed it so that one person could just bulldoze an entire zone worth of Rift and dynamic mob related content.

Any time someone brought up how stupid this was on the forums the response was inevitably "Well, Rifts are just there to help grind to the cap so you can do our dungeons and specialized Rift content that's basically crappy open world raid with the name filed off!" instead of "Hey, yeah, maybe we should make the selling point of our game actually have a point instead of be generic MMO tripe".

Rift was seriously a case of lost potential and dumbass devs having an amazing start and not understanding what made their game appealing. It pretty much was Defiance before Defiance was a thing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 9, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Well they, do have to consider that a few months after launch most of the zones are only going to have 2 or 3 people in them at any given point.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

The Moon Monster posted:

Well they, do have to consider that a few months after launch most of the zones are only going to have 2 or 3 people in them at any given point.

Well yeah. But their fix wasn't to scale it down so people could be soloing heroes in a dead zone. It was basically to break the scaling so that it invalidated the point of the content.

Also, you'd be surprised about the numbers. There were capped out people coming back to each zone and just mowing down entire hordes of enemies for the longest time so they could get some sort of cosmetic reward. This pretty much locked a lot of people out of experiencing the content anyways since some guy could just smite a raid boss by himself.

I think they eventually got around that issue by instituting a level scaling system for players. By that point I had quit though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I never spend a whole lot of time on it in most games, but I really liked the crafting in EQ2. Not sure what it's like right now, but for the time I played, the crafting was pretty fun.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Yeah EQ2 looks like dogshit though the models made for the Asian market at least look KINDA okay.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

John Dyne posted:

Yeah EQ2 looks like dogshit though the models made for the Asian market at least look KINDA okay.

Someone left the heat on too long and left an unusually lumpy wax sculpture out to melt.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's like a lower-quality Oblivion.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

is that dude on the left a young liam neeson?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
A reminder that the EQ1 Luclin models actually look better than the EQ2 models.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

John Dyne posted:

A reminder that the EQ1 Luclin models actually look better than the EQ2 models.

eq1 also is probably still more fun to play than eq2

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I miss Vanguard. I didn't play at launch so didn't get to experience how horrible it was but when I played a couple years later it was great. I really liked how different the classes were from each other and how the crafting and diplomacy systems worked. Wish they didn't totally kill it :|

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Danith posted:

I miss Vanguard. I didn't play at launch so didn't get to experience how horrible it was but when I played a couple years later it was great. I really liked how different the classes were from each other and how the crafting and diplomacy systems worked. Wish they didn't totally kill it :|

The class system in Vanguard was absolutely the best thing about Vanguard. All the healers were unique and active, including a cloth casting blood mage who heals by nuking enemies and transferring the damage to your defensive targets and the disciple who had unique buffs tied to using their skills in certain orders and actually healed better by being active melee combatants rather than standing back and healing like a traditional healer. You also had neat twists on existing concepts like Necromancers being able to upgrade their pets stats and abilities via loot drops and Dread Knights having an extra resource in the form of all their attacks building a stacking general purpose combat debuff on the enemy that they could exploit for fun and profit.

Shame about everything else in that game though.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
The Blood mage was very cool, I feel super sad I could not play the game much past the first levels to enjoy it more.

I do recall that EQ1 Resistances was common at high levels. Instead of making mobs harder they had the great idea to make them more resistant to magic, only blood mages only had one type of damage and if that failed they were unable to heal. This went on for like a year no less.

Bards were also highly entertaining in a semi broken way, you could stack a few ability's and get a song that will regen or at least not cost mana. Or you could yell YOLO and put every damm buff in your song at once for like 30 sec - 1 min of glory.

To bad the game was out against WOW, and ran like rear end.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

DeathSandwich posted:

The class system in Vanguard was absolutely the best thing about Vanguard. All the healers were unique and active, including a cloth casting blood mage who heals by nuking enemies and transferring the damage to your defensive targets and the disciple who had unique buffs tied to using their skills in certain orders and actually healed better by being active melee combatants rather than standing back and healing like a traditional healer. You also had neat twists on existing concepts like Necromancers being able to upgrade their pets stats and abilities via loot drops and Dread Knights having an extra resource in the form of all their attacks building a stacking general purpose combat debuff on the enemy that they could exploit for fun and profit.

Shame about everything else in that game though.

I want that blood mage healer. More mmos need to do unique classes

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i played wolf shaman on a pvp server in vanguard, i had a blast pvping in that game because no one could come close to catching me while shifted into wolf form because i also picked a race with some movespeed buff. i would try to kill everyone and anyone too strong i just :zoid: the gently caress away from

edit - woodelf, they had a cooldown ability with 50% move speed bonus that made me go real fast as a cute wolf guy

Percelus fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 17, 2017

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I want that blood mage healer. More mmos need to do unique classes

I liked the concept behind RIFT's Chloromancer. You could mark targets that healed people who hit them and you could mark your tank to receive additional benefits from your spells. Kind of a lot of micromanagement, though.

Oh and Age of Conan's Bear Shaman were cool.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

I liked the concept behind RIFT's Chloromancer. You could mark targets that healed people who hit them

Yeaugggh. That's one of those ideas that doesn't even sound good on paper.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Warhammer online had the disciple and he was like a battle priest that could Dual Wield!!! for some reason??? He'd heal you when he did damage to enemies

EQ2 didn't have fast travel at all at release either. Also no instancing, there was even still open world bosses.

Some funny/cool stuff you could do though:
You could defect your faction and live in exile. Your homecity would be set to literally a sewer/cave thing with just a mailbox and a banker.
Or do a supppper grindy quest to rejoin, OR even join the opposite faction

Some mobs were placed together into "encounters" that couldn't be split, they were basically the same mob. But you had specific encounter spells that did "aoe" damage to them. Pretty neat system.

Also the partycombo system was pretty neat, but I don't remember if anyone ever gave a poo poo about it.

They even recreated the SAME problems EQ had at the high levels: attributes became literally useless and only armor/hp/power(mana) was important. You still had huge spell stacking issues where the order your party buffs in could affect the final outcome, and you run around with like 30 buff icons at all times. And useless junk out of era currencies took up parts of the UI.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 18, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeaugggh. That's one of those ideas that doesn't even sound good on paper.

Why? It worked great and people liked it.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

The Moon Monster posted:

Why? It worked great and people liked it.

People who continued to play vanguard post release liked it. That's broken brained to start with. The concept of your healing only being as effective as your party member's willingness to do the correct thing is a second level of broken brain.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Byolante posted:

People who continued to play vanguard post release liked it. That's broken brained to start with. The concept of your healing only being as effective as your party member's willingness to do the correct thing is a second level of broken brain.

Click the loving lightwell you useless shitbags.

Good times.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The best thing about failed mmos are the rapid holdout fans who defend them at all costs.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Does RIFT count as a failed MMO?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Afaik RIFT used to be decent but is now poo poo, so I guess yes?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i feel the defining feature of a failed mmo is it didn't even make it to the first expansion but that's just my opinion

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Is there a MMO that had founder packs and didn't fail?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
LOTRO even had lifetime subs and still runs.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Baller Time posted:

Is there a MMO that had founder packs and didn't fail?

STO is still chuggin along, though it's not lighting the charts on fire

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

STO is still chuggin along, though it's not lighting the charts on fire

It was for awhile, then they got deep into the cash shop bullshit.

It's still not a bad game. Just has a bit of a grind towards the end of the game that can be skipped via the cash shop that evens out and becomes fairly fair once you're past it. It's kind of weird as an example.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

DancingShade posted:

The best thing about failed mmos are the rapid holdout fans who defend them at all costs.

Some failed MMOs had decent ideas or concepts that really just are too drat niche or that just don't fit into the whole carrot and stick treadmill themepark style MMO that has dominated the market for so long.

But I also liked Earth and Beyond so what the gently caress do I know. I just wanted to fly a spaceship and shoot lasers at martians, man. :saddowns:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

DancingShade posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone defend Fallen Earth.

Yet, somehow THE REALM ONLINE is still running? You can still pay a sub for that game by mailing a check, wtf.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Yet, somehow THE REALM ONLINE is still running? You can still pay a sub for that game by mailing a check, wtf.

No poo poo, really?! I loved that game when I was, like, twelve. Does SA have a thread for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Byolante posted:

Ah, I was talking about Rift's chloromancer, don't know nuffin about Vanguard.

John Dyne posted:

Some failed MMOs had decent ideas or concepts that really just are too drat niche or that just don't fit into the whole carrot and stick treadmill themepark style MMO that has dominated the market for so long.

But I also liked Earth and Beyond so what the gently caress do I know. I just wanted to fly a spaceship and shoot lasers at martians, man. :saddowns:

Warhammer Online was great for this, a lot of great stuff ruined by a lot of terrible stuff. Although it might have still been decently playable had the population not plummeted so badly.

• Locked thread