Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Aniodia posted:

Bro, seriously, name and shame. There's points where the Geek Social Fallacies come into play, and then there's this poo poo. Call the bastard out for being an insufferable prick, so that way others don't have to go through the same deal.

Alright. You said it, not me. It's Game Citadel, in Bangor, Maine. the owner is a dink, and it's frustrating to not have a decent game store in a college town like this one.

For the sake of reference, here's some of the art from the mural (because my wife is awesome):

Jace

Liliana

Chandra

WH40K (in progress)

WH Fantasy (in progress)

And she didn't trace a thing. :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
I don't know anything about WH Fantasy but I loving love that frog king thing.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

That is amazing work. Tell your wife it is very well done.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Savidudeosoo posted:

I don't know anything about WH Fantasy but I loving love that frog king thing.

That's a Slaad. They're basically filling the place of a bunch of ancient god-kings of the lizardmen that hosed off, and they're following the plans set for them to the letter, which has often disastrous consequences, like when they reversed continental drift because it messed with their old maps. They're also really loving powerful wizards, to the point of the most powerful of them dying and still hanging around in his mummified body through sheer will. Lizardmen are cool as hell in general. Put Lizardmen in your games 2017

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Comic book guy isnt worthy of your wife's artwork. That's awesome.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Seriously, mad respect to your wife's skills.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

rumble in the bunghole posted:

That's a Slaad. They're basically filling the place of a bunch of ancient god-kings of the lizardmen that hosed off, and they're following the plans set for them to the letter, which has often disastrous consequences, like when they reversed continental drift because it messed with their old maps. They're also really loving powerful wizards, to the point of the most powerful of them dying and still hanging around in his mummified body through sheer will. Lizardmen are cool as hell in general. Put Lizardmen in your games 2017

(Slann. Slaad are the frog demons from D&D. But, yes, Slann are amazing and the pre-Age of Sigmar Lizardmen were beautiful)

Also, those are wonderful pieces to brighten up even the dingiest gaming store.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
There's a lot of pictures of the games room on their facebook and yeah, the murals are what's making it look like a super cool place to be.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The art on the magic cards is awesome but the font messes with my head every time I look at them.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Sometimes the r/relationships thread is full of polyamory fuckery. Sometimes it's full of manchildren refusing to shower or brush their teeth. It even had a couple of dogfuckers.

This, though, is a first for being :stonk: enough for both that and this thread.

gentle pete posted:

I Think My GM Wants to Eat Me

Alright, I know the title might turn you off, but I'm really worried and I was hoping I could get some advice. We've been meeting for Star Wars biweekly for about a few months so far and everything's been going really well! We blew up a Star Destroyer, did some reconnaissance on Hoth before the big battle and hunted down and revealed an imperial spy on the base on Yavin. That kind of stuff. Really good character stuff going on in between. The GM's a real good friend of mine and I've known him for a long time. But things got really weird after our last game. I had a thing going on before the game and I showed up a little late. Like 20 minutes or so by my reckoning. Everyone filled me in on what had gone on and we kept playing like usual. But then, in the game we got an urgent message to meet with a Hutt boss who wanted to make a deal with the rebellion. It was kind of out of left field but we figured we were probably going to get something good out of pursuing this quest line so we went.

Obviously, it was a trap and the Hutt betrayed us and was trying to sell us out to the ISB. After a short battle we all got captured and the other player characters were stuck in a floating repulsor harness. Then the Hutt character proceeded to eat my character. Like I didn't get to roll for anything or nothing. That would've been weird enough if he didn't spend like 3 whole minutes of uninterrupted description about how the Hutt's digestive system was squeezing down against me. The GM also had an orange in his hand that he was squeezing as he talked about it. There was a small cut into the orange which caused the juices to wrap around his hand while he very specifically described the Hutt gumming through my character.

It got to a point where I had to excuse myself and go to the bathroom. I went and just sort of sat there for a while wondering what the hell was going on. After the game, the GM had somewhere he needed to go, which was fine because it would've been really uncomfortable for me to broach the subject with him.

After that, I really didn't feel like going back to the game. I was really uncomfortable, I didn't have a good time, and I just didn't wanna deal with any more weirdness, so I made up some excuse and quit the game. That would have been okay, and I could have just chalked it up to an incompatibility in playing style, but I see him regularly and things have changed between us. I see him around campus at the school I go to and I wave at him to be friendly and all that, but he just gives me this stare. At first, I wasn't sure what he was trying to convey, but I thought about the game, and I realized it was exactly like the look of hunger that he described the Hutt having before he jammed my character into his mouth. I eventually began to wave at him less and less, but he kept giving me that stare. Recently, he's begun carrying a bag of potato chips around with him, and as soon as he sees me, he just pulls one out, looks at me, then the potato chip, and just slowly slips it into his mouth, not even chewing. He just crushes the chip with his gums, getting it all over his face. It's disgusting. I don't even talk to him anymore, but I sometimes get texts from him about coming back to play, with scheduled times and everything. The weird thing is though, I asked my other friends who were in the game if they were still playing, and they said that the campaign ended a while ago.

Yikes.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

I would have walked at per hour. Anybody who charges for play space in a game store on an hourly basis is either overcrowded or an rear end in a top hat.

My ex-FLGS had a giant table right up front for RPG action, and a huge room with big folding tables in the back for minis. He figured the noise and hubbub from a good game was PR enough to offset any lost revenue from table rental. He also had really cheap soda and snack machines.

We were so loyal we bought ALL our gear there. Thanks to him, I also had a chance to play a beta game of Dangerous Journeys with Gygax.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joe Slowboat posted:

Are you by chance playing an XCOM 2 themed campaign? Because that's eerily familiar.

No, it's a D&D campaign - Yawgmoth just pulls a lot of particularly dire poo poo to keep us on our toes.

For example, the party is currently stuck on the plane of Xoriat after we failed to stop Lovecraftian cultists from opening a rift into it. We're trying to get out of there, but the problem is that there is a large time-dilation effect on Xoriat compared to Eberron: every minute we spend here is days from back where we came from - a few years have probably passed already, and now we still have one other McGuffin to retrieve but our Psion is flat out of Power Points, meaning he can't really contribute anything anymore if we get into another fight.

But if we take a rest for him to recover the points ... that could be decades passing on Eberron, during which time these cultists and these rifts may well have been further destroying our home with us away from it.

Hard choices ahead.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Bubblyblubber posted:

The weird thing is though, I asked my other friends who were in the game if they were still playing, and they said that the campaign ended a while ago.

That's good creep-vore. Lovely bouquet, fine vintage.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Samizdata posted:

My ex-FLGS had a giant table right up front for RPG action, and a huge room with big folding tables in the back for minis. He figured the noise and hubbub from a good game was PR enough to offset any lost revenue from table rental. He also had really cheap soda and snack machines.

We were so loyal we bought ALL our gear there. Thanks to him, I also had a chance to play a beta game of Dangerous Journeys with Gygax.

Well yeah, a good store doesn't charge for play space. It's just an exceptionally bad one that charges by the hour or per person. Places that charge at all that are reputable should have a flat fee per table and maybe access to play aides like terrain and adventures.

That's assuming you're just borrowing the space and play aides, if you're getting a GM out of it that's different and something the hobby has not been able to determine a fair pricing for as of yet.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Kumo posted:

That is amazing work. Tell your wife it is very well done.

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Comic book guy isnt worthy of your wife's artwork. That's awesome.

the_steve posted:

Seriously, mad respect to your wife's skills.

Coward posted:

Also, those are wonderful pieces to brighten up even the dingiest gaming store.

Thanks for the kind words! My wife just read the comments in the thread and she's thrilled.

Savidudeosoo posted:

There's a lot of pictures of the games room on their facebook and yeah, the murals are what's making it look like a super cool place to be.

Very recently, they renovated the game room and rearranged things. They ended up painting over the WH walls to put shelving over there, which is no great surprise. It didn't make much sense to have WH stuff on the walls anymore, since the owner chased all of the minis players out of there a few years ago. But that's a story for another time.

Kurieg posted:

The art on the magic cards is awesome but the font messes with my head every time I look at them.

Yeah. My wife found it hard to approximate the font while painting it by hand. I suppose she could have found the MtG font, printed it on a large sheet, and stenciled it onto the wall. But each of the cards on the wall is 4 x 6 feet, so that would have been tricky.

Kwyndig posted:

Well yeah, a good store doesn't charge for play space. It's just an exceptionally bad one that charges by the hour or per person. Places that charge at all that are reputable should have a flat fee per table and maybe access to play aides like terrain and adventures.

That's assuming you're just borrowing the space and play aides, if you're getting a GM out of it that's different and something the hobby has not been able to determine a fair pricing for as of yet.

Agreed. The game store my buddy owns (Crossroad Games in Standish, Maine, now that I've already named Spellbound and Game Citadel) has always had a policy of free table space. He actively encouraged people to sit down and play, even if they hadn't bought anything. He didn't ever harass anyone to buy poo poo, didn't charge table fees, and didn't have a policy of playing only games that he sold. When I was in high school, I would spend whole afternoons there, playing things like Munchkin (back when it first came out :corsair: ). I probably sold at least a dozen copies of that game alone for him, just by playing it with folks in the store. Good game stores know that a healthy game store is an active one. The people in the store will buy poo poo, now or later. A lot of gamers might get to try a game for free at a store and buy ti online, but just as many will be willing to pay the extra few bucks for the sake of loyalty (or to get it sooner).

Sometimes the free table policy would burn him, but things always worked out in the store's favor. For example, there were a group of RPG players that the Crossroads folks lovingly called "The Orphans." They were four elementary and middle school-aged kids who's parents dropped them off at the store and basically used it like a daycare. They would cloister themselves into the RPG room and play GURPS and BESM for hours on end. They never bought anything besides candy and soda. They took up that table for the entire day. That's kind of obnoxious, but they would move if need be. They usually understood that they spent a great deal of time at the store, and that other people's use of the room took precedent, not because of their age or how little money they spent, but just because of the time they had already spent there. This is one of the worst-case examples I can think of from that store, but those kids did buy poo poo, and the situations was easily manageable with a small amount of diplomacy. (The owner was more mad at The Orphans' parents for using his store as a daycare, but he never took it out on the kids.)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Bubblyblubber posted:

I Think My GM Wants To Eat Me

This is legitimate nightmare fuel. Like, I can genuinely see this working as the plot to a horror film.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

No, it's a D&D campaign - Yawgmoth just pulls a lot of particularly dire poo poo to keep us on our toes.

For example, the party is currently stuck on the plane of Xoriat after we failed to stop Lovecraftian cultists from opening a rift into it. We're trying to get out of there, but the problem is that there is a large time-dilation effect on Xoriat compared to Eberron: every minute we spend here is days from back where we came from - a few years have probably passed already, and now we still have one other McGuffin to retrieve but our Psion is flat out of Power Points, meaning he can't really contribute anything anymore if we get into another fight.

But if we take a rest for him to recover the points ... that could be decades passing on Eberron, during which time these cultists and these rifts may well have been further destroying our home with us away from it.

Hard choices ahead.
Ooh ooh let me throw another spanner in the works! With no sun or in fact any regularly changing lighting or atmospheric conditions and coupled with an uncertain amount of time spent adrift in the amoebic sea & unconscious on an operating table, how can you be certain of how much time has passed on the plane? Given how unstable everything else seems to be on the plane, how do you know that time flows steadily there?

There is a method to it, but I'm not telling because it's more fun that way.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Either way I need to take a nap and see what kind of new nightmare horrors I have.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah. My wife found it hard to approximate the font while painting it by hand. I suppose she could have found the MtG font, printed it on a large sheet, and stenciled it onto the wall. But each of the cards on the wall is 4 x 6 feet, so that would have been tricky.

Yeah I can see that, I wasn't trying to disparage your wife's work. Just the weird "off" sense when somethings different that you've been looking at for 20+ years.

Dear god I've been playing this game for 20+ years

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Either way I need to take a nap and see what kind of new nightmare horrors I have.

So I see you've been playing Beast?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

No goodies, other than the occasional emergency loaner book. We rolled our own GM's (including yours truly getting asked the same day to run a Paranoia session at said FLGS's mini-convention and I STILL drew more players than the RPGA sanctioned Paranoia ref with his box of props.).

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Kwyndig posted:

I know one of my reputable one around me does charge for time, but I think you buy it in 3 hour blocks, and it's only for the private rooms. I'm pretty sure they come with basic maps and terrain. There's enough game table space that you don't really ever need the private rooms unless you happen to be running a weekly game on Friday nights (FNM is pretty big especially with new sets) or there's some other yearly event going on.

It probably depends a bit on the situation, but yeah, something like above is 100% bullshit.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Railing Kill posted:

WH40K (in progress)

I really like the space marine standing there in slack-jawed horror.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This guy is a huge dick and your wife's art is pretty amazing, especially the Magic cards. Have you posted this story on SA before, though? It feels very familiar to me.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The Story of my Age of Rebellion Group's Latest Game Session, as told in NATO map symbology

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
You... drove a car bomb into a checkpoint and looted the puréed remains?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Yeah, I was...not actually expecting them to do that. They're hitting weak, outlying Imperial facilities in attempts to steal weapons and gear for their desperately under-equipped cell. Since they're trying to preserve equipment (you can't steal poo poo you've vaporized), I thought they'd plan an ambush or assault it or something. But they've insisted on stealing every single unattended ground vehicle they come across, so they're amassing quite the motor pool at this point (mostly random civilian cars), and they had stolen a bunch of explosives during a raid on a supply depot in a previous session, and eventually one of them was like 'why don't we just combine these two things?'

So, with some pretty good rolls on their part, what would have been a fairly challenging combat encounter instead ended up with them sending an unoccupied speeder-truck full of plastic explosives hurtling at breakneck speed into a guard post, obliterating it.

I did go ahead and rule that the explosion destroyed most of the weapons they were trying to steal, but I threw them a bone and let them scavenge a few blaster rifles out of the wreckage before backup arrived and they had to skedaddle.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mister Bates posted:

Yeah, I was...not actually expecting them to do that. They're hitting weak, outlying Imperial facilities in attempts to steal weapons and gear for their desperately under-equipped cell. Since they're trying to preserve equipment (you can't steal poo poo you've vaporized), I thought they'd plan an ambush or assault it or something. But they've insisted on stealing every single unattended ground vehicle they come across, so they're amassing quite the motor pool at this point (mostly random civilian cars), and they had stolen a bunch of explosives during a raid on a supply depot in a previous session, and eventually one of them was like 'why don't we just combine these two things?'

So, with some pretty good rolls on their part, what would have been a fairly challenging combat encounter instead ended up with them sending an unoccupied speeder-truck full of plastic explosives hurtling at breakneck speed into a guard post, obliterating it.

I did go ahead and rule that the explosion destroyed most of the weapons they were trying to steal, but I threw them a bone and let them scavenge a few blaster rifles out of the wreckage before backup arrived and they had to skedaddle.

This is Good Rebel Cell Roleplaying here IMHO. If you have cars, and you have explosives, combine the two and find a problem it can solve. Now if they're really evil clever, they'll do it a couple more times with an eye towards getting the local Imperials to crack down on the civilian populace, then just sit back and wait until the Imperials do something warcrime-y and go in to recruit the survivors.

We used this to great effect in my old Star Wars group. You know that saying about how if you only have a hammer, all your problems start to look like nails? Well, when your primary tool is an army of stormtroopers, all your problems begin to look a lot like Poland in 1939.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Railing Kill posted:

Agreed. The game store my buddy owns (Crossroad Games in Standish, Maine, now that I've already named Spellbound and Game Citadel) has always had a policy of free table space. He actively encouraged people to sit down and play, even if they hadn't bought anything. He didn't ever harass anyone to buy poo poo, didn't charge table fees, and didn't have a policy of playing only games that he sold. When I was in high school, I would spend whole afternoons there, playing things like Munchkin (back when it first came out :corsair: ). I probably sold at least a dozen copies of that game alone for him, just by playing it with folks in the store. Good game stores know that a healthy game store is an active one. The people in the store will buy poo poo, now or later. A lot of gamers might get to try a game for free at a store and buy ti online, but just as many will be willing to pay the extra few bucks for the sake of loyalty (or to get it sooner).

Sometimes the free table policy would burn him, but things always worked out in the store's favor. For example, there were a group of RPG players that the Crossroads folks lovingly called "The Orphans." They were four elementary and middle school-aged kids who's parents dropped them off at the store and basically used it like a daycare. They would cloister themselves into the RPG room and play GURPS and BESM for hours on end. They never bought anything besides candy and soda. They took up that table for the entire day. That's kind of obnoxious, but they would move if need be. They usually understood that they spent a great deal of time at the store, and that other people's use of the room took precedent, not because of their age or how little money they spent, but just because of the time they had already spent there. This is one of the worst-case examples I can think of from that store, but those kids did buy poo poo, and the situations was easily manageable with a small amount of diplomacy. (The owner was more mad at The Orphans' parents for using his store as a daycare, but he never took it out on the kids.)

+1 on you're wife's art work being great. I've exchanged emails a few times with your buddies shop (don't know if I spoke with him or staff) and they were very pleasant and helpful. Hopefully I'll get to visit it some day.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Skellybones posted:

I really like the space marine standing there in slack-jawed horror.

In the final version, he's being impaled from behind by a Tyranid. It's less slack-jawed horror at what's in front of him as what's behind him.

HardDiskD posted:

This guy is a huge dick and your wife's art is pretty amazing, especially the Magic cards. Have you posted this story on SA before, though? It feels very familiar to me.

I don't think so. I may have mentioned how lovely this store is in passing, but I don't think I've told either of these stories in detail.

LongDarkNight posted:

+1 on you're wife's art work being great. I've exchanged emails a few times with your buddies shop (don't know if I spoke with him or staff) and they were very pleasant and helpful. Hopefully I'll get to visit it some day.

Brendan, the owner, is a great guy. If you're in the northern New England area, they're one of the best shops around. They have a ton of room too, and host big MtG tourneys fairly often if that's your jam.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
You posted this story before, in less detail. We never got to see the murals before, which are awesome.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mister Bates posted:

It's basically some Hurt Locker poo poo, except you aren't playing the Americans.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Voyager I posted:

It's basically some Hurt Locker poo poo, except you aren't playing the Americans.

That's a good way to describe most rebellions. The way to keep this good instead of bad for a game is knowing where to draw the line.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah when running a Rebel Cell campaign it's helpful to remember that people like Native American activists and the Taliban love Star Wars for largely the same reasons.

They think the Empire is the US government.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Well, they're not wrong.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah but we don't have a Moon-sized planet destroying laser.

Also our helmets don't conceal people's faces.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but we don't have a Moon-sized planet destroying laser.
Yet. :patriot:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
At least Insurgency technology in Star Wars has advanced to the point where carbombing a checkpoint doesn't involve one of the PCs rolling up a new character.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Voyager I posted:

At least Insurgency technology in Star Wars has advanced to the point where carbombing a checkpoint doesn't involve one of the PCs rolling up a new character.

And soon, it won't here either.

Razorwired posted:

Yeah when running a Rebel Cell campaign it's helpful to remember that people like Native American activists and the Taliban love Star Wars for largely the same reasons.

They think the Empire is the US government.

All I can think of is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJSH1YNCpWQ&t=107s

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
A couple of my players are retired Marines, and they pointed out it's also exactly what the Marine Corps spent the first ten years of its existence doing (in fact, 'the beginning of the USMC' is basically an RPG murderhobo group to a T; it started with a bunch of people meeting in a bar and deciding to group up to steal poo poo from the British, then cruising around the Caribbean for a few months in a stolen ship raiding outlying British holdings and taking everything that wasn't nailed down).

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Kwyndig posted:

Also our helmets don't conceal people's faces.

On phone so I can't pull up the F-35 pilot helmet but that thing's pretty much face-concealing.