Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

What threat are you protecting yourself against? For 99.999% of people LastPass + fingerprint reader will keep them safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wasn't arguing with you. Here, let me be more blunt. You post really stupid poo poo, generally pretending you have some idea what you're taking about, way too loving often.

A password vault that requires a password to open initially, 2FA on each open, and a fingerprint on each open is pretty loving secure. Additionally, it is a fantastic balance of security and ease of use. More so than almost any other solution we have today.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 18, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Protocol7 posted:

Christ. Let them keep their devices and burn their homes down at this point. These people probably wouldn't recognize a potential threat if they were waving a gun in their face.

I think it's even more idiotic than that. I think it's phone hipsterism. By circumventing the measures to brick their phones, they own something that NO ONE ELSE CAN OR DOES ANYMORE! The fact that it could burst into flames just means they'll get more attention.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reminds me of

http://www.pintostampede.com/about.html

quote:

What Is The Pinto Stampede?

A dream envisioned by Norm and Louise Bagi. The Pinto Stampede and the Pinto Car Club of America joined forces in 2011 to coral Ford Pinto owners across America. The goal was to celebrate the 40th anniversary of our beloved little pony the Ford Pinto with a drive across America.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Explorer posted:

I wasn't arguing with you. Here, let me be more blunt. You post really stupid poo poo, generally pretending you have some idea what you're taking about, way too loving often.

A password vault that requires a password to open initially, 2FA on each open, and a fingerprint on each open is pretty loving secure. Additionally, it is a fantastic balance of security and ease of use. More so than almost any other solution we have today.

The ignore function exists for precisely this reason. And I've already addressed this in my post :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://m.androidcentral.com/google-could-bring-its-budget-android-one-phones-us-later-year

Looks like Android One (reworked for the $200-$300 price range) may be coming to the US this year.

If manufacturers had foresight they would be tripping over themselves to put their lower tier models in this category. An Android One Moto G4 Plus for $300 would be a no brainier recommendation.

This may be a significant step towards marginalizing non-ASOP Android builds.

Hopefully by the end of 2018, the Android market will be dominated by several excellent $300 Android One phones and a high end Google flagship and we will all look back on the dark age of devices where support was dropped after 6 months.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Don't forget the PIN+fingerprint for the 2FA token.

I was doing that for years without a fingerprint scanner but never again.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

What threat are you protecting yourself against? For 99.999% of people LastPass + fingerprint reader will keep them safe.

I don't care about keeping safe, I care that using the fingerprint scanner logs me in almost instantly and I don't have to type anything.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
If you're about to complain that fingerprints aren't secure and can be spoofed, first stop to remember one thing: The alternative to fingerprints isn't a good password. The alternative is "nothing at all", because that's the level of effort involved. The people who care already use good passwords, fingerprints still increase the security for the lazy fucks who had slide to unlock before. It's still a win.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

While my use of my phone's fingerprint reader is absolutely motivated by being a lazy gently caress, there is at least some consideration of risk involved. Someone needs access to my fingerprints, the capability/knowledge needed to spoof them, motivation to do so, and physical access to my phone. I'm willing to admit that I could be wrong, but a convergence of those four things seems vanishingly unlikely to me. Unlikely enough that I'm willing to risk it rather than input my lengthy password everytime I want to do something on my phone.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

http://m.androidcentral.com/google-could-bring-its-budget-android-one-phones-us-later-year

Looks like Android One (reworked for the $200-$300 price range) may be coming to the US this year.

If manufacturers had foresight they would be tripping over themselves to put their lower tier models in this category. An Android One Moto G4 Plus for $300 would be a no brainier recommendation.

This may be a significant step towards marginalizing non-ASOP Android builds.

Hopefully by the end of 2018, the Android market will be dominated by several excellent $300 Android One phones and a high end Google flagship and we will all look back on the dark age of devices where support was dropped after 6 months.

I was with you until the article said LG would be making it

2 years of updates is still lovely, but for $199 they could get away with it. I guess that'll be the 5X replacement as the entry-level Fi device.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use my dick tip for my "fingerprint" scanner, it works great

This is how I unlock my phones.

https://youtu.be/HQ7Y5aL2GmI

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I use my dick tip for my "fingerprint" scanner, it works great

What if someone else has the same exact dick tip as you though.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

FAUXTON posted:

Didn't know it had that kind of resolution.

:vince: :chanpop: :eyepop:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

vyst posted:

What if someone else has the same exact dick tip as you though.

Then they have to touch your dick print.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

The ignore function exists for precisely this reason. And I've already addressed this in my post :v:

You're such a terrible poster that it would really just be more efficient if you would just :getout:

I've been in other threads, saw a completely worthless, stupid post, and there was your anime girl wearing a maga hat next to it. Your mundane ignorance is ubiquitous.

In conclusion: I hate you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

You're such a terrible poster that it would really just be more efficient if you would just :getout:

I've been in other threads, saw a completely worthless, stupid post, and there was your anime girl wearing a maga hat next to it. Your mundane ignorance is ubiquitous.

Nice meltdown

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Not as nice of a meltdown as a note 7, though! :rimshot:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

Not as nice of a meltdown as a note 7, though! :rimshot:

Nice

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is how I unlock my phones.

https://youtu.be/HQ7Y5aL2GmI

I remember seeing this a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl-Q0c55w00

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I'd be really impressed if it were this in fully numeric form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAUVUUhf7U0

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Theris posted:

While my use of my phone's fingerprint reader is absolutely motivated by being a lazy gently caress, there is at least some consideration of risk involved. Someone needs access to my fingerprints, the capability/knowledge needed to spoof them, motivation to do so, and physical access to my phone. I'm willing to admit that I could be wrong, but a convergence of those four things seems vanishingly unlikely to me. Unlikely enough that I'm willing to risk it rather than input my lengthy password everytime I want to do something on my phone.

Or they can just get you while you're asleep.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/12/28/girl-uses-sleeping-moms-thumbprint-pokemon/95907370/

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

Or you could just hit the ignore button and not see me at all. You're an adult, right?

And she's from a blizzard video game, thank you very much :colbert:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Or you could just hit the ignore button and not see me at all. You're an adult, right?

And she's from a blizzard video game, thank you very much :colbert:

"I know I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I'm going to keep being an rear end in a top hat and everyone else should change. Also, it's not an anime girl wearing a maga hat, it's a video game girl wearing a maga hat."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Less silly slap fights and more making fun of suicidal Note 7 users.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Less silly slap fights and more making fun of suicidal Note 7 users.

The best part of the Note7 fiasco was free USB A-C cables and extra chargers. And Spigen refunded my case and I got a Pixel XL one instead.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
After all is said and done, it seems to me that the Note 7 really... Bombed.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

The best part of the Note7 fiasco was free USB A-C cables and extra chargers. And Spigen refunded my case and I got a Pixel XL one instead.

Yeah, I got a free Gear Fit2 and 256gb SD card out of the ordeal.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

Yeah, I got a free Gear Fit2 and 256gb SD card out of the ordeal.

Oh yeah I got a free micro SD card out of it too, thanks Rogers!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

"I know I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I'm going to keep being an rear end in a top hat and everyone else should change. Also, it's not an anime girl wearing a maga hat, it's a video game girl wearing a maga hat."

Let's move to PM if this is something you really want to continue discussing.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Can you two just gently caress already?

In android related news:

Sometimes I press the Pixel volume rocker in the middle and instead of getting one loud click I get two rapid loud clicks

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Duggler posted:

Sometimes I press the Pixel volume rocker in the middle and instead of getting one loud click I get two rapid loud clicks

Personally I find the Pixel buttons very stiff and firm, no rockiness or unsteady clicks at all, I'm very satisfied every time I push a button. I'm a huge prick

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I haven't checked the thread in quite some time but for anyone who's interested, Samsung have started to send out the Nougat update to Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge users in the UK and Czech Republic.

A few minor issues are there but it feels more fluid and definitely looks nicer than Marshmallow on the S7.

Anyone here still using an S7?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Duggler posted:

Can you two just gently caress already?

In android related news:

too mushy, send it back

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

In Android Tablet news, Nvidia confirmed that Nougat is coming to the Shield Tablet in a few weeks.

It still sells well, and is still a pretty good tablet, so it's nice to seem them still supporting it this far out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I haven't checked the thread in quite some time but for anyone who's interested, Samsung have started to send out the Nougat update to Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge users in the UK and Czech Republic.

A few minor issues are there but it feels more fluid and definitely looks nicer than Marshmallow on the S7.

Anyone here still using an S7?

My work phone is an S7 Edge, and Rogers doesn't even have current plans to deploy 7.0

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/OSUpgrades/thread-id/1

Never ever ever ever buy anything other than a Pixel or Nexus or whatever for your device. gently caress this entire system of delayed updates. God dammit I'm mad as hell about this

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
This is my favorite from the Note 7's on reddit

The fan on the back of it is laughable

"My new 🔥 headset. Bought all this for only $50. No SIM, no updates, no problems."

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I haven't really experienced getting major upgrades direct from Google, but seeing the security patch pop up was a nice change from having to wait months/years for Rogers to get updates out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Duggler posted:

I haven't really experienced getting major upgrades direct from Google, but seeing the security patch pop up was a nice change from having to wait months/years for Rogers to get updates out.

S7/Edge are still on the November patch and no plans to give them another one until 7.0 is out apparently. gently caress Rogers, gently caress the non-Nexus/non-Pixel update model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

S7/Edge are still on the November patch and no plans to give them another one until 7.0 is out apparently. gently caress Rogers, gently caress the non-Nexus/non-Pixel update model.

Koodo has Feb 8th as their Nougat release date. Rogers (and the others, to be fair) does a terrible job of updating their software update time frame and Canadian carriers are almost certainly going to launch within a day of each other.