Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wait why do you hate Charles Dance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wait why do you hate Charles Dance?

That's who that is! Time to head to IMDB and answer this for everyone else.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bicyclops posted:

Basically I guess I just really hate the King of Nilfgard and want to do everything I possibly can to be the biggest thorn in his side.

I've been avoiding taking Geralt to the barber, but I think before I start Hearts of Stone, it's time to give him a new look.

Believe it or not, a major quest in Hearts of Stone a third of the way in will do this for you. Entirely possible to play up to that point and then go back and do the side quests and points of interest.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If you side with Djikstra you're a horrible monster. Anyone that read the books and played the first two games will save Roche and Thaler, every time.

According to the drat Gwent book there's 1 card in Velen and 3 in Skellige, but I have no more random cards to win off of nobody merchants, which makes me wonder where the hell the Velen card is (I got the Baron's card). I'm assuming the Skellige cards are sitting on a merchant somewhere.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Remember that you can play Gwent with some barbers too.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Fuzz posted:

If you side with Djikstra you're a horrible monster. Anyone that read the books and played the first two games will save Roche and Thaler, every time.

According to the drat Gwent book there's 1 card in Velen and 3 in Skellige, but I have no more random cards to win off of nobody merchants, which makes me wonder where the hell the Velen card is (I got the Baron's card). I'm assuming the Skellige cards are sitting on a merchant somewhere.

Did you play Thaler and Roche?

The only reason I wouldn't side with Dijkstra is Thaler. Roche can gently caress right off, the genocidal fuckwit.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Palpek posted:

Remember that you can play Gwent with some barbers too.

Well poo poo, maybe that's it. I only got the card from the quest guy in Skellige.

I have all of the unique and unmissable cards, and I've gotten all the random ones since I found one last merchant in Novigrad and definitely played him for the first time and instead received gold nuggets.

I dunno what other specific card I'd have missed, unless the carnival guy has restocked since apparently that's a thing that happens. I have all the leader cards and I think all the random ones, as above, which makes me think the 4 missing ones are just on merchants somewhere.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I've played this game for maybe like 40-50 hours now and just am heading off to Skellige (Though I have a bunch of side quests to clean up before I do) and I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the trickle of story from the main quest.

In those 50 hours I've:

Learned Nothing about the Wild Hunt
Found out Ciri needs to break a curse
Still don't know where Ciri is at all

And its a little frustrating. I almost wish that the game were a bit more focused. Also the fact that the end of act 2 (Novigrad has to be act 2, right?) had no dramatic action sequence and instead was a game of Gwent and tracking a dude to a house.

But whatever, I have an assassination to plan so this game is still pretty awesome. The main quest just seems paced really poorly.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Rygar201 posted:

Oh my God, I have to do this now

Crappy Jack posted:

.........holy loving poo poo.

Mr E posted:

Well I wasn't going to play this again but now I have to.

Hooray! I told people something about the game they didn't know! :dance:

I did it on my completion walkthrough. I had just gotten to Skellige and was tired of the abysmal Griffin color scheme and wanted to get some dyes(which should be available from the beginning :argh:) but knew I'd have to beat the bandits and the giant. There are options you can do in the conversation where the Toussaint knights will let the bandits go, then you advance on to the giant. I think I was level 18 or so? I knew I wanted the achievement, so I basically just Quen'd up and dodge jumped around. When the giant charges at you, jump out of the way, and immediately run away straight behind him. Have your crossbow ready, and as he starts to turn, take aim so it slows down time a bit and let fly. Took me two tries, and as soon as you hit him he drops dead.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Paul Zuvella posted:

I've played this game for maybe like 40-50 hours now and just am heading off to Skellige (Though I have a bunch of side quests to clean up before I do) and I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the trickle of story from the main quest.

In those 50 hours I've:

Learned Nothing about the Wild Hunt
Found out Ciri needs to break a curse
Still don't know where Ciri is at all

And its a little frustrating. I almost wish that the game were a bit more focused. Also the fact that the end of act 2 (Novigrad has to be act 2, right?) had no dramatic action sequence and instead was a game of Gwent and tracking a dude to a house.

But whatever, I have an assassination to plan so this game is still pretty awesome. The main quest just seems paced really poorly.

You are 2/3 way through Act 1, and Skellige is where you start getting more info pertaining to the main story, and it moves significantly faster after that, if you choose to ignore sidequests and contracts.

Act 1 is roughly half the game though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You are 2/3 way through Act 1

lmao what

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

YOU ARE 2/3rd OF THE WAY DONE WITH ACT 1.

STOP DOING SIDE QUEST IF YOU WANT MORE STORY. Don't actually cuz the side quests generally rule

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

A focused, main story only playthrough is like 50 hours or so, but you can easily hit 100+ hours, and doing everything is like 160. It's a big rear end game. You seem to be playing pretty completionist if you hit 50 before ending novigrad.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A focused, main story only playthrough is like 50 hours or so, but you can easily hit 100+ hours, and doing everything is like 160. It's a big rear end game. You seem to be playing pretty completionist if you hit 50 before ending novigrad.

I think I have not done 1 side quest so far and it was the Peller one.

Also a dont play Gwent.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also a dont play Gwent.

That's impressive then.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also a dont play Gwent.

In that case, you just have a really relaxed playstyle i guess.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

In that case, you just have a really relaxed playstyle i guess.
Maybe he doesn't know how to fast travel!

A coworker found out how to fast travel from anywhere in RDR several years later and wasn't very happy about the news.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A coworker found out how to fast travel from anywhere in RDR several years later and wasn't very happy about the news.

hahaha

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You use the signs or a boat, I'm not a big dumb dummy.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So what have you been doing for 50 hours then? Not the main quest, not side quests, not Gwent... Just roaming around the landscape killing monsters? That's ok but then why are you surprised you don't know anything about the game's events?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think I have not done 1 side quest so far
What the gently caress is wrong with you.

VVVV
ah. never mind!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 18, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I structured that sentence poorly.

I have not done 1 sidequest so far, as in there is only one sidequest I haven't done.

Like I said, it was the peller one because I forgot about it and then it was 10 levels below me.

e: Also I haven't been picking up broken religious statues because who the gently caress cares about that dumb poo poo.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 18, 2017

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

I structured that sentence poorly.

I have not done 1 sidequest so far, as in there is only one sidequest I haven't done.

Like I said, it was the peller one because I forgot about it and then it was 10 levels below me.

e: Also I haven't been picking up broken religious statues because who the gently caress cares about that dumb poo poo.

ohhhh than yeah, your playtime makes sense. a completionist playthrough is like 150 hours.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Pellar quest is real cool and has its own music which is great. I recommend you do it despite the level disparity.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Well, he's skipping Gwent, which would bring total playtime down to around 90 hours without the DLC.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Pellar quest is real cool and has its own music which is great. I recommend you do it despite the level disparity.

god damnit, ok.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Sorry I promise the main quest will ramp right the gently caress up when you actually hit Act II.

Also Skellige is really cool.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Dr Cheeto posted:

Sorry I promise the main quest will ramp right the gently caress up when you actually hit Act II.

Also Skellige is really cool.

Absolutely this. Also the main quest isn't a particularly great plot affair, its strength really is in the characters.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

To be honest, the reason why I've done so much side content is that the main quest has been so uninteresting.

After the Bloody Baron stuff is resolved the quality takes a big dip imo. It's good to hear that Skellige is cool though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

To be honest, the reason why I've done so much side content is that the main quest has been so uninteresting.

After the Bloody Baron stuff is resolved the quality takes a big dip imo. It's good to hear that Skellige is cool though.

Bloody Baron is probably the single best questline in the main game, with Hearts of Stone being the best overall. Skellige is awesome and such a breath of fresh air after Peasant Misery Simulator. After that you get to go back to Kaer Morhen which may be the prettiest area in the entire game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Well poo poo, maybe that's it. I only got the card from the quest guy in Skellige.

I have all of the unique and unmissable cards, and I've gotten all the random ones since I found one last merchant in Novigrad and definitely played him for the first time and instead received gold nuggets.

I dunno what other specific card I'd have missed, unless the carnival guy has restocked since apparently that's a thing that happens. I have all the leader cards and I think all the random ones, as above, which makes me think the 4 missing ones are just on merchants somewhere.

The merchants are always listed as "People of no particular skill" or whatever, I think. Also, they're in a pool together and there are more merchants than you need, so at some point, they'll just stop giving you cards (it may be after the miraculous guide says you're done with them, because you can win a few dupes). If yours has stopped saying "People of no particular skill," and you're sure you got all the quest related ones, you probably forgot to buy Gwent cards from somebody. It's traders and innkeeps that sell them, mostly, so just go to the region you're missing them and backtrack to traders and innkeeps to see if they have them in stock.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I'll grant you Novigrad drags a fuckload. They could have pulled quite a bit out of that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Novigrad was a long area, but it had some highlights, like the scene in the witch hunter headquarters. I think I was mostly just happy to be somewhere that wasn't 80% festering mud.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'll grant you Novigrad drags a fuckload. They could have pulled quite a bit out of that.

Yeah, there highs of Novigrad were pretty high. Burning down the witch hunter HQ and Geralt starring in a play were pretty awesome. All of the Whoreson Junior stuff just blends together though,

Also I'm personally extremely tired of the "mages are a persecuted class of people" trope that seems to be in every fantasy game ever these days. Though that might just be because of Dragon Age fatigue.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I just finished up the quest with Triss and the outdoor costume ball at that mansion to the east of Novigrad. There is absolutely no way I am not picking Triss at the end of all this, however it plays out. Should Geralt kiss her after scooping her up from falling into the fountain while fireworks go off? HMM LET ME THINK.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, there highs of Novigrad were pretty high. Burning down the witch hunter HQ and Geralt starring in a play were pretty awesome. All of the Whoreson Junior stuff just blends together though,

Also I'm personally extremely tired of the "mages are a persecuted class of people" trope that seems to be in every fantasy game ever these days. Though that might just be because of Dragon Age fatigue.

yeah, that is a common trend, though at least in this game is not some society-wide deal, but the actions of one mad king and a cult.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Basically the great thing about Gwent is that you can't miss just one merchant in terms of challenging them for cards, because more of them play than you need cards. You do have to buy from everyone that sells 'em, though.

I don't think the game drags too much in Novigrad. It's got this Venice-like feel to it and it's fun doing favors for everybody in the criminal underworld. My only complaint about the Novigrad and Skellige parts of the game is that both force you to interact with height a lot and the game isn't great at it. Sometimes Geralt just clips on things when you're climbing mountains or swimming because the hit boxes for environments are a bit wonky, the quest marker often gets confused, that kind of thing. Nothing is worse than climbing a mountain and suddenly getting dragged into combat with a bunch of harpies.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

redbackground posted:

I just finished up the quest with Triss and the outdoor costume ball at that mansion to the east of Novigrad. There is absolutely no way I am not picking Triss at the end of all this, however it plays out. Should Geralt kiss her after scooping her up from falling into the fountain while fireworks go off? HMM LET ME THINK.

I'm sorry that you have the wrong opinion on Geralt's love life.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The game's movement is just super genky. Geralt dies when jumping down a 12 foot cliff.

Also I legit got stuck in a puddle outside of novigrad for 20 minutes.

Eopia posted:

I'm sorry that you have the wrong opinion on Geralt's love life.

If you didn't kiss Triss and then awkwardly pretend that nothing happened like a weird Autist then you are doing it wrong.

Also I made it an active objective to gently caress every whore in Novigrad because that's the kind of guy I think Geralt is. My only regret is not being able to gently caress that one succubus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

redbackground posted:

Triss is made of cardboard and Yen is actually cool, though.