Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kea posted:

Howcome? Significantly harder than you thought or was there some tool you just found?

Compared to NES or GBA there is almost no information. I'm not saying there isn't any, and I have some okay progress to show (I mean, not really okay but you know what I mean), but other than one forum there's not much of a support base.

The assembler itself isn't really difficult but taking the step from HELLO WORLD to pong or whatever seems to be a little more homework than I have time for most days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is that the one with exactly six playable characters where The Undertaker can lock people with his weird pickup thing? I watched bichphuongballz speedrun that game and it looked ridiculous but also fun.

Yeah the genesis version (and, presumably, arcade sega cd etc versions) has two extra characters. I forget why they cut them out of the SNES one because data management doesn't seem right to me, but I'm also far from an expert on the technical shortcomings of the SNES.

And yeah you do all sorts of crazy weird moves. It was developed by Midway so it's much more "Mortal Kombat but with wrestlers" than it is a straight wrestling game.

Also, since I'm a sucker for pro wrestling/video game obscura, enjoy this! https://youtu.be/ckRamuVkRjg

The whole 30-minute tape used to be on YouTube and I'm sad it's gone because it's super corny and weird.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Me, two months ago: "Hey I bet it would be fun to learn SNES assembler coding and making a fun little game or something"

Me, today: "I'm an idiot"

I laid out a state machine for the recreation of an electro-mechanical Japanese game from the 1970's last month. Now I just need to learn enough about electronics to actually be able to build it. Yes, it would be much easier to do it with modern hardware like an Arduino, but I want to do it the hard way for the fun of it.

I think tooling around in bAtari (initially typed Atari Basic but that's a completely different thing that I have actually programmed a small game in) is kind of amusing. I don't know how much of the difficult aspects of Atari coding as seen in Racing the Beam are covered there, but it sounds fun. Maybe sometime I'll spend a week or two doing a demake of something with it.

There's a fun question: what game would you do a demake for on the Atari 2600? My brain immediately jumps to Castlevania because the gameplay concepts would be very easy to shift to the 2600 and only a handful of objects would be on the screen at a time. But that's kind of a serious answer and the fun ones would be somehow warping something like Overwatch into a 2600 game (I guess the game modes would be to select which character you're using :v: ).

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

There's a fun question: what game would you do a demake for on the Atari 2600? My brain immediately jumps to Castlevania because the gameplay concepts would be very easy to shift to the 2600 and only a handful of objects would be on the screen at a time. But that's kind of a serious answer and the fun ones would be somehow warping something like Overwatch into a 2600 game (I guess the game modes would be to select which character you're using :v: ).

Portal immediately came to mind, as did Zelda.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kea posted:

Portal immediately came to mind, as did Zelda.

Someone recently made Apple II ][ Portal!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

so the Gaires kid is dead, is that what you're telling me?
Yeah, dude doesn't even have Rennovation on his linkedin profile, wtf.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

No mention of the NES pro wrestling game Pro Wrestling?
Or the ORIGINAL pro wrestling (which I played the poo poo out of as a kid)

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Compared to NES or GBA there is almost no information. I'm not saying there isn't any, and I have some okay progress to show (I mean, not really okay but you know what I mean), but other than one forum there's not much of a support base.

The assembler itself isn't really difficult but taking the step from HELLO WORLD to pong or whatever seems to be a little more homework than I have time for most days.

I would be pretty interested to see what you have so far.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kea posted:

I would be pretty interested to see what you have so far.

I'll throw it up on github when I go back to work next week. I've been doodling around with it between meetings or when I get bored.

That's actually partly why I want to take my spare SFC to the office :q:

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

I came across this thing going through a storage bin and thought it would be fun to set it up

This was very interesting, but i hope the ghost of Acclaim doesn't haunt you for copying Extreme G instead of paying five or six bucks for it at the local retro game shop.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Martytoof posted:

I'll throw it up on github when I go back to work next week. I've been doodling around with it between meetings or when I get bored.

That's actually partly why I want to take my spare SFC to the office :q:

You probably know this already, but the developer PDFs for the SNES are out there if you were looking for reference material.

Even if you aren't a programmer they're still interesting to check out.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

For me there is only the Atari 800 family of computers for classic Atariness. And there is an original Castlevania game made for the Spectrum of all things! From what little I played of it the game is better than the actual CV C64, Amiga, and DOS ports! (This isn't a very hard feat for the Miggy and Amiga ports. Jesus they almost make Famicom Thexder look good.)

But if you wanna go hardcore the 2600 is your machine. (gently caress that go Vectrex. Vectorvania could be a rad rear end thing!)

If I was gonna get into learning retro programming I would probably get the AMOS family of Basic variants for the Amiga machines. It's like a baby version of Visual Basic with 3 tiers of the program (easy, standard, pro) and even a compiler! I have a ton of self teaching books for my A8s though and another one on the way.

I am sure I will get to it. Right after I use Adventure Construction Set to make that Friday the 13th RPG I have had notes on making since 1990-91 thereabouts. Yep. Any. Day. Now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

pairofdimes posted:

You probably know this already, but the developer PDFs for the SNES are out there if you were looking for reference material.

Even if you aren't a programmer they're still interesting to check out.

Yep, got them printed and bound a few weeks ago. It's more about trying to figure out how to make game logic work. Which, now that I think about it, I can probably just look at any NES game source. There are some disassemblies available, even commented.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Had a look into the bBasic for Atari and set it up with an ide called visualbb. Followed along a video and fell at the first hurdle when it refused to compile my code for a syntax error that as far as I could tell was identical to the guy in the videos. Definately going to need more than a cursory glance to get this working.

Its either get this working or learn assembly and frankly I'm not convinced that that would pay off for the amount of time it would take.

Kea fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 18, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I am late to wrestlechat, but when I was in elementary school and would sleep over at my friend's place, his brother had like every NES wrestling game, but the one I always wanted to play was Wrestlemania Challenge, because it was the only one he had with co-op tag-team. You had to play as generic jobbers and win against teams of all the CPU superstars, but I found that way more fun than playing against my friend and getting my rear end beat.

And it's interesting to find out that, just like nearly everything else in retrogames, JP devs made superior products of this genre. Well, minus the aformentioned NES game, and I rented SNES Royal Rumble and thought it was enjoyable. Agreed that Super Wrestlemania was pretty bad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

And it's interesting to find out that, just like nearly everything else in retrogames, JP devs made superior products of this genre. Well, minus the aformentioned NES game, and I rented SNES Royal Rumble and thought it was enjoyable. Agreed that Super Wrestlemania was pretty bad.

Don't forget M.U.S.C.L.E. in the pantheon of godawful Japanese wrestling games.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.
I have tried on and off for a while with basiegaxorz and then later it's replacement, SecondBASIC, both basic compilers for the Genesis. It felt pretty great to be able to create simple graphics on Photoshop and then being able to see them runing on Kega. Maybe once I get an everdrive I will feel more motivated to continue. I'm no coder, so even basic can be a bit of a challenge for me, and the community is (and has always been) kind of very small.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Random Stranger posted:

Don't forget M.U.S.C.L.E.

Please can we?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The Gamecube Ultimate M.U.S.C.L.E. / Kinnikuman game is supposed to be pretty good. There's a PS2 version/sequel with more characters but it's not quite as good for some reason (performance/subtle tweaks, I forget.) http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/akiwrestling/akiwrestlinggames5.htm

Royal Rumble on SNES and No Mercy and WCW/nWo Revenge on N64 are good picks for highlighting older generations of wrestlers. There are also arcade games like Wrestlefest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ak_BjxKZo

Saturday Night Slammmasters and King of the Monsters might also be worth looking at.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

We're at a 50% "still alive" wrestlers with WWF Wrestlefest. :smith:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

This was very interesting, but i hope the ghost of Acclaim doesn't haunt you for copying Extreme G instead of paying five or six bucks for it at the local retro game shop.

I know this is a joke but if anyone is actually wondering the actual reason I'm using it as the "dummy" cart is because it doesn't use any on-cart save technology (so no chance of a save being inadvertently overwritten) while also having the most common security chip. It's not that I can't use games with the other security chips with it, I just have to take the extra step of running a ROM called a boot emulator before hand.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Martytoof posted:

Yep, got them printed and bound a few weeks ago. It's more about trying to figure out how to make game logic work. Which, now that I think about it, I can probably just look at any NES game source. There are some disassemblies available, even commented.

The only one I've seen is the Metroid one, which seems like a very thorough job: http://www.metroid-database.com/m1/sourcecode.php

I never actually got around to coding anything, but I found it useful to get an idea of how an NES game is logically structured.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

pairofdimes posted:

The only one I've seen is the Metroid one, which seems like a very thorough job: http://www.metroid-database.com/m1/sourcecode.php

I never actually got around to coding anything, but I found it useful to get an idea of how an NES game is logically structured.

This is straight up witchcraft to me. I can program a little in c#, lua and java but assembly just looks like crazy talk.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

There definitely is. On Ebay or Etsy you can do a search and find every part re-made.

I looked on ebay for this (new snes replacement parts) but I didn't see anything. Do you have a link? I'd love to see what is available.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
The GameCube Ultimate MUSCLE is drat good, but a little hard to find for a reasonable price (gee what thread am I in)
Def Jam Vendetta is one of the best wrestling games of all time and the only one that plays DMX loudly during every match, so that's my recommendation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jwEEgMJ9ts

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I completely forgot about the fire pro wrestling games. Until the one for the ps2, I think the one for dreamcast was considered the best. I don't know if they hold up now? Most people liked them since they had a lot of moves the US games never included and a extensive create a wrestler. They were never licensed so there's tons of wrestlers in it under fake names like pro wrestling for nes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

mariooncrack posted:

I completely forgot about the fire pro wrestling games. Until the one for the ps2, I think the one for dreamcast was considered the best. I don't know if they hold up now? Most people liked them since they had a lot of moves the US games never included and a extensive create a wrestler. They were never licensed so there's tons of wrestlers in it under fake names like pro wrestling for nes.
Fire Pro is pretty awesome and Fire Pro D (the Dreamcast one) is one of the best in the series, but I don't necessarily recommend any of the Fire Pro games unless you're really into Japanese wrestling and/or prepared to spend untold hours editing wrestlers and downloading custom saves.

The poster asking for wrestling game recommendations wanted something accessible he could play with his 4-year-old, and stuff like Fire Pro isn't exactly newbie-friendly. Along with the N64 AKI games, the early WWF Smackdown games on PSone might be worth a look.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kea posted:

This is straight up witchcraft to me. I can program a little in c#, lua and java but assembly just looks like crazy talk.

Yeah, I can manage to do something in C or C++ and when I look at source code I have some idea of what's going on even if it's something I couldn't personally have written. Looking at assembly does absolutely nothing for me, and I've tried to learn it years ago. Are there any good, modern guides or is it pretty much a dark art you have to figure out by reading obtuse books from the 80's written for genuises

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

I've got a big effortpost in me about arcade collecting (I've got 4 cabinets, and wanna get 1-2 more, despite being strictly against cabinet collection for reasons others have already gotten into), but one anecdote is worth sharing for now at least.

The second cabinet I ever bought was a Playchoice 10. This was before the NESRGB so I figured (using collector logic), rather than destroy a PC10 to make an RGB NES, why not just get a PC10 itself? I ended up paying what was probably too much at the time (it'd be a steal today though), but I figured I could just sell the games I didn't want and get a Powerpak down the line. The EverDrive N8 hadn't been released yet but it turns out that it draws too much power for the PC10, so you pretty much have to use the Powerpak on PC10 hardware.

A bit later, I was moving to a smaller place with no garage, and my parents graciously agreed to let me put all but one of my cabs in their basement, whichever I wasn't playing at the moment. After checking out sale prices online, it turns out only one of the games that came with the cabinet was selling for any money: Dr. Mario. And since I have a Dr. Mario Mom, selling that one was off the table if I was gonna stash the cabinet at her house.

So that's how I ended up spending about a grand to give my mom what amounts to a dedicated Dr. Mario machine in her basement.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

d0s posted:

Yeah, I can manage to do something in C or C++ and when I look at source code I have some idea of what's going on even if it's something I couldn't personally have written. Looking at assembly does absolutely nothing for me, and I've tried to learn it years ago. Are there any good, modern guides or is it pretty much a dark art you have to figure out by reading obtuse books from the 80's written for genuises

I'm trying to figure that out too. For what it's worth TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O gave me a much better understanding of exactly how assembly works in practice. The assembly languages they use are very simple and a bit abstracted but I have a much easier time reading assembly and figuring out what it does now.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

I'm trying to figure that out too. For what it's worth TIS-100 and Shenzhen I/O gave me a much better understanding of exactly how assembly works in practice. The assembly languages they use are very simple and a bit abstracted but I have a much easier time reading assembly and figuring out what it does now.

Instread of doing my actual work today I will be watching blues brothers and playing these, I can pretend it relates to both my work (programming) and this thread because its retro.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kea posted:

I took an assembly course on my first pass at college. It was nuts to put it mildly. It had to be scheduled for after 7pm because we ran our code on the college mainframe.

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

I'm just going to throw out another recommendation for TIS-100, the best programming puzzle game available on Steam.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Kea posted:

If you already have some programming experience there's no reason you can't learn assembly, however if you're mostly familiar with higher level languages you'll probably find a lot of parts pretty tedious. This is a pretty good introduction to MOS 6502 assembly (the NES uses a 6502 clone): https://skilldrick.github.io/easy6502/

It has a built in assembler, debugger, and output window, so you can easily test stuff and play around.

6502 register info: http://www.obelisk.me.uk/6502/registers.html
6502 instruction set: http://e-tradition.net/bytes/6502/6502_instruction_set.html

To go from there to making an NES game you'd need to learn about the NES's architecture, like how to talk to the PPU to draw stuff on screen and what interrupts exist. But just learning 6502 assembly would be a good place to start.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
nthing TIS-100, I got Shenzen but haven't played it yet.

I studied Assembler for a term in college, and it's intense. I've been meaning to pick it up again, and I still want to learn C64 basic/assembler too, they seem fun.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Ive done the first four programs on tis 100 so far, enjoying it but im waiting for the shoe to drop where it gets really hard.

edit: First five, recommending this to everyone I know.

Kea fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 18, 2017

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Someone unfucked Lunar 2 and Popful Mail after 20 years.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

hell yes. I never beat Lunar 20ish years ago, now maybe I will. 'Paying' in game magic points to save your game is dumb.

Edit: although I suspect there are now current games that you have to spend real $ to save.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hell yeah!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I loving love everybody who hacks roms

e: why no lunar 1 tho :( or am i the only one who likes that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

d0s posted:

I loving love everybody who hacks roms

Even the guys that just put penises everywhere? Everywhere meaning the first level and a half of SMB until they gave up realizing how difficult it is.

• Locked thread