Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Spacebump posted:

Lol this is one of the funniest fake trades I've ever seen. I don't know if I've seen it say that about win % before.

I worked on it a little more. Behold: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hy76qp5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

ex post facho posted:

i need more jokic

He's averaging something like 22/10/5 and in January and has been a beast since Malone gave him the keys. I hope he can keep this up because it's fun to have an elite player to root for, even if the team isn't very good. Nuggets haven't really had one since Melo

edit: Atlanta traded Mo Williams and cash to Denver, who then waived him to get closer to the cap floor. Bombshell

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If Mudiay could exclusively play against the Lakers in Staples Center he'd have a bright career ahead of him. Nuggets should furiously try to trade him before the next game while his value is at its peak.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jv838xz

There. Now everyone either gets to go back home, move to a better team or just gets to play with their friends. Other than Blake who is going to New York for the stand up scene.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 18, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ive only seen about 3 Jokic games. Is he more than a one-way role player? Can he anchor a defense?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Ive only seen about 3 Jokic games. Is he more than a one-way role player? Can he anchor a defense?

He's way more than a one-way role player. He's one of the most unique players in the NBA right now so it's hard to really compare him to anyone, but he passes better than just about any big man I've seen in recent memory and he runs the offense better than any of their guards. Their offense with him on the floor is surprisingly ridiculous (he has the highest ORTG of anyone in the league) and his defense is solid enough that he's not a liability on that end - DRPM ranks him middle of the pack for both PF and C, and he's improving now that he's carving out a more stable role. He rebounds well. Watch my son, Nikola Jokic, play basketball and you'll enjoy a singular experience. Also, he's a very nice boy, if that helps you to like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96zihr0eqVk

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 18, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2.1 block % ehhh

what is his FG% allowed in the paint?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

http://stats.nba.com/players/defensive-impact/#!?CF=DEF_RIM_FGA*GE*5&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=DEF_RIM_FG_PCT&dir=-1

not good for Jokic

ouch

edit

If you dont see Jokic click "more" at the bottom to get to the second page. He is last.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I didn't realize you were specifically looking for stats to try to call him a bad player, sorry. I guess Jahlil Okafor is a better defender than Al Horford.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

I didn't realize you were specifically looking for stats to try to call him a bad player, sorry. I guess Jahlil Okafor is a better defender than Al Horford.

I said " Is he more than a one-way role player? Can he anchor a defense? "

is he doing things in game on defense to belie his horrendous stats? Can you project him to being something more than a sieve under the rim? That is my question.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Hassan Whiteside is like second to last in pnr defense fg% so,

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

I said " Is he more than a one-way role player? Can he anchor a defense? "

is he doing things in game on defense to belie his horrendous stats? Can you project him to being something more than a sieve under the rim? That is my question.

You are a weird, obtuse and obnoxious person and I"m just going to refrain from interacting with you because it's not a fun thing to do

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Joel Embiid has about half of the ws/48 of Nikola Jokic. Can anything be done about his horrendous stats?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

You are a weird, obtuse and obnoxious person and I"m just going to refrain from interacting with you because it's not a fun thing to do

wtf man

Ill rephrase the question because it seems not to be clear based on the responses.

Ive not seen Jokic play much. His rim protection, by the stats, seems abysmal. Can he be a defensive anchor? Is there something that is not being seen in the rim protection stats?

I know you arent going to answer it, but it is a question that interests me.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 18, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

wtf man

Ill rephrase the question because it seems not to be clear based on the responses.

Ive not seen Jokic play much. His rim protection, but the stats, seems abysmal. Can he be a defensive anchor? Is there something that is not being seen in the rim protection stats?

I know you arent going to answer it, but it is a question that interests me.

Don't loving phrase your poo poo like a Skip Bayless knock off ("one way role player" and "horrendous stats") and people won't treat you like you're a dickhead. Nobody wants to engage with someone who has clearly developed a strong opinion while simultaneously professing to be open-minded. Good luck with the answers.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Anyways, on a similar note, Nurkic hasn't played more than 8 minutes in a few games. He's gotta be on the way out. Who wants the big boy for cheap

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Jokic loving owns because I am the pickup/rec league equivalent of him, 6 ft 3 so tallish for pickup but play point guard and just throw (occasionally) awesome passes all day

I love James Johnson for the same reason

https://twitter.com/DiegoIsWrong/status/821553541949095937

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

http://stats.nba.com/players/defensive-impact/#!?CF=DEF_RIM_FGA*GE*5&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=DEF_RIM_FG_PCT&dir=-1

not good for Jokic

ouch

edit

If you dont see Jokic click "more" at the bottom to get to the second page. He is last.

Be careful with this stat. How it's recorded it's about 1 point difference between a "bottom" player like Jokic and an elite defensive player. How it cuts the numbers it is only looking at 6 attempts per game, which is not much and is a very narrow, incomplete view.

Denver is pretty bad at defense, so it's fair that Jokic is probably not elite. However, looking at lineups it doesn't seem like Jokic really hurts or helps them so it's probably more accurate that overall he's pretty defensive neutral and isn't going to hurt or help you much. Jokic doesn't really play next to any good defensive anchors so that's probably going to reflect in his stats.

I think he could be a heavy minute player on a good defensive team (think Kevin Love) but Denver doesn't have anyone who can be an anchor right now and Jokic isn't going to be able to fill that role.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

Chinatown posted:

did you guys see the tweets from the Warriors new arena groundbreaking ceremony?

:yikes:

https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/821466850449969153

https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/821469532648677376

https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/821468546307760129

i cannot wait until the tech bubble bursts

This cannot be quoted enough.

Also, I feel the need to point out that in the first one, the two dudes in black suits on stage are performing Clapping Music by the 20th century minimalist composer Steve Reich. Why? I have no fuckin clue.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Could jokic play pf next to a defensive 5?

He seems to be able to shoot well enough. Or would that muck up his offensive upside too much.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 18, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

He seems to be able to shoot well enough. Or would that muck up his offensive upside too much.

That's kind of what Denver was hoping for at the beginning of the season. Jokic was absolutely miserable at pf.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Why not? He doesn't really operate out of the low post so offensively he can paired next to someone without range. Defensively it wouldn't matter. That is what happens when he plays next to Nurkic. Though Nurkic also doesn't seem very good defensively either.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Kibner posted:

That's kind of what Denver was hoping for at the beginning of the season. Jokic was absolutely miserable at pf.

His start was abysmal, yeah. I'm willing to pass a lot of that off on Nurkic being tough to work around and Malone doing some weird yoyo stuff with the lineup that messed with his confidence as he actually asked to be benched at one point. I also definitely agree that he's not ever going to be a huge rim protecting beast or anything so you're probably going to need to pair him with someone who is. I think "neutral" is a fair way to describe his defense at the moment. However I think it's inaccurate to just label him as a one-way role player and look at his freakin stats since the slow start

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Would you build the team around Jokic at the 5 or 4? He obviously needs to start and have the ball in his hands on offense. I think he is good enough on O that you build around him.

This seems relevant because they have some decisions to make at the trade deadline. As mentioned they could move Jurkic, or Gallo, Faried, etc etc.

Its awesome they got him for a 2nd round pick. Just incredible drafting.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 18, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Would you build the team around Jokic at the 5 or 4? He obviously needs to start and have the ball in his hands on offense.

This seems relevant because they have some decisions to make at the trade deadline. As mentioned they could move Jurkic, or Gallo, Faried, etc etc.

Its awesome they got him for a 2nd round pick. Just incredible drafting.

I think ideally you have him at 4 and I'm willing to ignore the start of the season as an aberration. Like Lockback said he doesn't really play much in the paint so he's not clogging stuff, I just think he really doesn't work well with Nurkic specifically. I also apologize for being too mean earlier, I don't actually mind interacting with you. I needed coffee. Sorry.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I should not have said one way role player.

In defense, I have seen a lot of Jahlil Okafor and nerlens noel* in the past year and a half and the vocabulary is in my brain.

*Nerlens is bringing more to the offense this year in a tiny sample.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

I should not have said one way role player.

In defense, I have seen a lot of Jahlil Okafor and nerlens noel* in the past year and a half and the vocabulary is in my brain.

*Nerlens is bringing more to the offense this year in a tiny sample.

I always kind of believed in Nerlens and I'm happy he's playing well. I think Jahlil Okafor is like the nba version of Eeyore so I have a hard time caring about him and I just hope he doesn't end up on my team. He seems miserable at all times

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

In a world where PF are getting smaller and smaller and quicker I don't think you should count of big, beefy Nikola Jokic to be a Power Forward.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I'll accept Big Beefy as a nickname

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

someone post the Warriors wine guy

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Don't loving phrase your poo poo like a Skip Bayless knock off ("one way role player" and "horrendous stats") and people won't treat you like you're a dickhead. Nobody wants to engage with someone who has clearly developed a strong opinion while simultaneously professing to be open-minded. Good luck with the answers.

He's right; Jokic is an offensive wizard, but he isn't a great defensive player and probably never will be.

Have fun realizing that Boston isn't going to be able to trade for a major star at the deadline and is going to run into the Lebron buzzsaw again in the postseason.

And that this is going to happen next year too.

And then Bradley and IT2 are going to leave.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I don't see a reason why Nikola Jokic could not develop into a good, defensive center. He is 6'11 with a 7'3 wingspan, is mobile, and has good footwork. He needs to get a bit stronger and less beefy. Right now he is closer to 2008 marc Gasol than 2013 Marc Gasol.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's right; Jokic is an offensive wizard, but he isn't a great defensive player and probably never will be.

Have fun realizing that Boston isn't going to be able to trade for a major star at the deadline and is going to run into the Lebron buzzsaw again in the postseason.

If I based everything in my life around my fandom for the Boston Celtics this might be effective but as it stands you just look very stupid. I also have no idea what Nikola Jokic has to do with the Celtics

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Femur posted:

What's going in Indy pacer fans? is PG making the All-stars? I've have not heard anything talked about them outside of PG's few quotes and some early Miles hype this year? how is the new coach working out for yall?

PG is absolutely an all star, without him they're a 10-win team. Myles Turner is the future. Nate McMillan is exactly who we thought he was. A lot of roster turnover coming into this year, it's kinda a dumpster fire. The George Hill-Jeff Teague trade looks like a bust even though Hill is injured again. 7th seed first round exit feels about right.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Cool Buff Man posted:

If I based everything in my life around my fandom for the Boston Celtics this might be effective but as it stands you just look very stupid. I also have no idea what Nikola Jokic has to do with the Celtics

Says the child who spent the last page throwing a temper tantrum and cursing at a guy on the internet who dared to question someone's defense.

Go back and read what you wrote and tell me who looks like a loving cock.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The first three quarters of Raps/nets was some of the worst professional basketball I've watched in recent years. Thank god Derozan just took over.

At one point Van Vleet and Pöltl tried to trap Randy Foye. It ended up with Vleet on the ground, Pöltl running away and Foye bricking an open 3.

Also, my mom is going to the Raptors 905 game today. Will report back with her scouting report.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Says the child who spent the last page throwing a temper tantrum and cursing at a guy on the internet who dared to question someone's defense.

Go back and read what you wrote and tell me who looks like a loving cock.

I'm well aware of what the conversation was since I engaged in it and I also realize that you're contractually obliged to stick up for your Sixers friend no matter what. gently caress off though, you're an idiot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Redgrendel2001 posted:

No way. Jokic is the only Nugget worth a drat on defense and he's still in the process of learning it. The reason he finally got the majority of minutes over Nurkic in the first place was because he was actually bringing up the team's +/-.

Denver's last place or near last place in most team defensive statistics. Gallinari is legit like their best defender and that's incredibly sad. The team is made to grab rebounds and that's pretty much how they solve their defensive woes.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm well aware of what the conversation was since I engaged in it and I also realize that you're contractually obliged to stick up for your Sixers friend no matter what. gently caress off though, you're an idiot.

Nah you're having a rage fit. Go for a walk or fix your roid cycle.

These were all completely unprovoked.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I didn't realize you were specifically looking for stats to try to call him a bad player, sorry.I guess Jahlil Okafor is a better defender than Al Horford.

Cool Buff Man posted:

You are a weird, obtuse and obnoxious personand I"m just going to refrain from interacting with you because it's not a fun thing to do

Cool Buff Man posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Wow, you really got me, how dare I be mildly sarcastic in response to an inflammatory statement and proceed to get fed up when the person starts cherrypicking stuff in an attempt to frame the argument their way. It also has nothing to do with you coming in the thread and attempting to rile me up in a strange way.

• Locked thread