Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Beelzebozo posted:

Mostly because Eurogamer had reported that Nintendo told them it would run at 60 when docked, I reckon.

That's their fault for talking to floor reps who don't know poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The hobbit was 48fps and a bad movie, so i think we're onto something.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Most (all?) Nintendo first party games on the wii u were 60fps.

e; don't worry guys I still have my switch preorder and BotW Master Edition.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kashuno posted:

Most (all?) Nintendo first party games on the wii u were 60fps.

e; don't worry guys I still have my switch preorder and BotW Master Edition.

Smash and MK8(but only in one or two player mode) were. That's about it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Takoluka posted:

Any idea on when Hori's releasing their LAN adaptor or if I can just use my Wii U one?
Your WiiU one will work fine.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

That's definitely not it. Quick internet search

NSMBU
Bayo2
Captain Toad
Smash
Wooly World
Splatoon
MK8
3d World
Wonderful 101
Nintendo Land
DKC TF
Kirby & the Rainbow Curse

So definitely not all but a good amount :shrug: Not a make or break for me but will be for some

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

greatn posted:

I don't know why but I don't trust any card that's not on a 2, 4, 8, 16, 64, 128, 256, 512, etc line.

200? What the gently caress is that? Where did that number come from?

It's probably just more cost effective to produce. 256GB micro sd cards are like twice the price of 200GB.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Kelp Plankton posted:

(plus you only gotta spend $300 on a Switch instead of $300 on New Nintendo Console and $200 on New Nintendo Handheld which is cool by me)

That's not really an incentive for me because prior to this I was paying ~200 for their handhelds and nothing else.

I don't even like most of Ninty's 1st party stuff.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I have determined that this thread is only running at 53 FPS so we need to offload some posters to free up resources

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Hats posted:

I have determined that this thread is only running at 53 FPS so we need to offload some posters to free up resources

Don't talk about yourself like that Jimmy Hats! :(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

That's not really an incentive for me because prior to this I was paying ~200 for their handhelds and nothing else.

I don't even like most of Ninty's 1st party stuff.
Well now you can decide to pay a bit more for a bigger & higher res screen, with the same great games as were on 3DS. Or you can choose not to and just stick with your 3DS, which will still be supported for the foreseeable future.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Can we talk about why Hori is charging $20 for their screen protector?

I bought anyway it cause I'm a Hori whore

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I know not really related to Switch, but the physical copy of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for WiiU requires a 3GB installation??

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Merkinman posted:

I know not really related to Switch, but the physical copy of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for WiiU requires a 3GB installation??

Loading data from discs is slow and it's an open world game.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I pre-ordered my neon Switch about 5 minutes after they went up for pre-order on Best Buy (about 60 mins after the nintendo presentation ended) for my local store pickup and was charged in full. Sort of annoyed with that as I figured the standard protocol was you pay when it comes in. Regardless, all will be fine assuming I get the product but who the hell knows with Best Buy. Getting all the money up front from people means they have more motivation to hold on to the info that they won't be able to meet all orders (if that's the case).

All this Advance Wars talk makes me sad as it was my favorite handheld series from days gone by. I spent so much time on my GBA with the original. Fire Emblem is fine and good but I'd rather have quirky tanks and airplanes versus brooding anime characters where shacking up is just as important as the strategy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Merkinman posted:

It's not shocking, the loading times may be borderline unplayable without it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I pre-ordered my neon Switch about 5 minutes after they went up for pre-order on Best Buy (about 60 mins after the nintendo presentation ended) for my local store pickup and was charged in full. Sort of annoyed with that as I figured the standard protocol was you pay when it comes in. Regardless, all will be fine assuming I get the product but who the hell knows with Best Buy. Getting all the money up front from people means they have more motivation to hold on to the info that they won't be able to meet all orders (if that's the case).

All this Advance Wars talk makes me sad as it was my favorite handheld series from days gone by. I spent so much time on my GBA with the original. Fire Emblem is fine and good but I'd rather have quirky tanks and airplanes versus brooding anime characters where shacking up is just as important as the strategy.

They'll refund your money soon, they do a test charge to make sure the funds are actually there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kelp Plankton posted:

The Switch is going to be rad just by virtue of being Nintendo's sole platform. No more console/handheld split, just constant rad video games. And a greater variety of them because they no longer need to do a console mario and a handheld mario and a console zelda and a handheld zelda, they just make a Mario game and a Zelda game... and the resources for those other two games are freed up to be used to either make those games bigger and fancier or to make something else entirely.

3rd party support will probably be as weak as ever but this is going to be a super strong console in terms of Nintendo's first and second party output

(plus you only gotta spend $300 on a Switch instead of $300 on New Nintendo Console and $200 on New Nintendo Handheld which is cool by me)

Which makes it all the more confusing that they don't have a more robust launch lineup.
I guess that was a problem with both the 3DS and the Wii U, but still it's like man, what games

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Fire emblem characters aren't very brooding and the kids are super not-important in fates.

(I'd prefer advance wars too)

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

The Merkinman posted:

3GB is a small price to play for the bestest game ever. Besides, in other consoles you might have to install your games.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Rexroom posted:

3GB is a small price to play for the bestest game ever. Besides, in other consoles you might have to install your games.

Yes but they don't come with only 32GB installed.

It seems buying an SD-card is mandatory, if you want to keep all your games playable.

EDIT: Never mind I'm an idiot that can't read

Spider2414 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 18, 2017

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Flumbooze posted:

Yes but they don't come with only 32GB installed.

It seems buying an SD-card is mandatory, if you want to keep all your games playable.

It's only for the WiiU, the mandatory install. I guess this means the game cards will be a ton quicker than the WiiU DVD drive.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Andrast posted:

Loading data from discs is slow and it's an open world game.

greatn posted:

It's not shocking, the loading times may be borderline unplayable without it.

Rexroom posted:

I get all that, are there any other WiiU games that you had to install even if you had the disc? That could also show how BotW is a Switch game first, WiiU game second.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

greatn posted:

I don't know why but I don't trust any card that's not on a 2, 4, 8, 16, 64, 128, 256, 512, etc line.

200? What the gently caress is that? Where did that number come from?

256GB cards probably have lowish yields so they're selling the ones with defective memory units as 200GB. Pretty standard practice in the electronics industry.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

I get all that, are there any other WiiU games that you had to install even if you had the disc? That could also show how BotW is a Switch game first, WiiU game second.

You didn't have to for Xenoblade Chronicles X, but it had four or so packs of installs you could download that helped a lot with performance

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

This was three years ago...

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

This was three years ago...

But it still means the Xbox One sold better than the 360. What does it really matter anyway?

Besides, he looked it up for you, I doubt he's someone who can get inside information on sales numbers, so he probably found the best thing he could.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Someone now do a similar plot write up for Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, because while I played those games up and down, it will still enjoyable to read the plot explanation written in such a way

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

greatn posted:

NSMBU, SM3DWorld, StarFox Zero, and Nintendoland all were as well.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Flumbooze posted:

But it still means the Xbox One sold better than the 360. What does it really matter anyway?

Besides, he looked it up for you, I doubt he's someone who can get inside information on sales numbers, so he probably found the best thing he could.

That was a bunch of spinned nonsense. Luckily the people that visit this thread and forum have IQ's above 10 to read between the numerous lines in that.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

raditts posted:

StarFox Zero

I wonder if this will get a switch port without the gimmicky controls. I wanted to like it so badly.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the xbox one is Selling Fine

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

So fine microsoft stopped releasing sales numbers in 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

Mine that I'm trying to sell is not selling fine. :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

VideoGames posted:

It's only for the WiiU, the mandatory install. I guess this means the game cards will be a ton quicker than the WiiU DVD drive.

Open world games as a general rule need really good seek times because they can be loading hundreds of assets at a given time and the precise mix of assets can vary a lot, like Grand Theft Auto games have a ridiculous number of textures visible due to pretty much each building/area having its own unique ones, especially when you count the advertising billboards, and then you have things like which specific pedestrians and vehicles are in the area; this is also why the PS2 GTA games would phase out vehicles that were behind you (and thus couldn't be seen) and could be manipulated to generate vehicles simply by spinning in place. While there's still a lot of strategic engineering required if you're doing less than a full install, being able to install a few gigs increases the complexity of what you can do substantially.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Nephzinho posted:

I wonder if this will get a switch port without the gimmicky controls. I wanted to like it so badly.

The controls are great and not the problem with the game. The level structure, switching between different vehicles all the time, lack of satisfying boss fights, and limited content are the main problems.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

So the GPU runs at a reduced clock speed whenever the Switch is undocked, even if it's connected to power? Because undocked but connected to AC power at home is going to like 99% of my usage.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Beelzebozo posted:

So this thing only has 32gigs but takes microSD cards. What's the best brand of those? What's the price/capacity sweet spot at right now? And is there anywhere better than Amazon to get them in America? I haven't bought a tiny memory card since the demise of the standalone digital camera (I don't use Android phones, obv).

Newegg has a somewhat better/easier to filter selection. You're looking at like $80-$100 for 200GB currently.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

raditts posted:

Which makes it all the more confusing that they don't have a more robust launch lineup.
I guess that was a problem with both the 3DS and the Wii U, but still it's like man, what games
It's the age-old problem of video games taking a long time to develop.

I wonder if BOTW has ended up sucking in a lot of Nintendo's resources. It seems like it's going to be more ambitious than anything they've tried before, it's been delayed and then presumably the Switch version had to be ported (the hardware is quite different from the WiiU, right?) They've also been porting MK8, along with creating a small amount of new content for it, plus working on Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Calaveron posted:

Someone now do a similar plot write up for Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, because while I played those games up and down, it will still enjoyable to read the plot explanation written in such a way

I can attempt to do this for Awakening (spoiler tagging just in case)

After killing a Blue Man in the present, Avatar's mind travels back in time to when he first met the Blue Man and his sister, Dirty Blonde. After learning about their homeland which is ruled by Blue Man's older sister Mother Mary, Avatar joins Blue Man's band of merry men as they fight invading assholes and time-traveling zombies until they find a guy named Marth who tells them disaster is coming or whatever. We are then introduced to Lord Voldemort, whose country was slighted by Mother Mary's country ages ago and now wants their family breastplate so he can go Super Saiyan. They fend off an assassination attempt, but then Mother Mary's completely ineffectual Pegasus force dies to arrows and she gets kidnapped. Although Lord Voldemort almost gets his hands on a cool-rear end breastplate, Mother Mary decides to jump off a cliff (don't worry, she survives), forcing Blue Man to be the new king and kill Lord Voldemort.

After Blue Man marries Avatar, it is revealed that James from Team Rocket is actually a prince from a neighboring land who was driven out by Arnold Schwarzenegger, prompting Blue Man to put a stop to him and ignore Jafar's rise to power. Eventually they encounter Marth again, who turns out to be Blue Man and Avatar's daughter from the future, and decide to bring her and the other future babies into battle. Then some stuff happens on another continent, which involves them killing Teddy Roosevelt, Lu Bu, drag performer Divine, and Arnold Schwarzenegger all at once, but who cares.

Once they get back home, they decide to collect the Chaos Emeralds to stop the rise of A Dragon. Before they can defeat Jafar, they discover Avatar's real identity as A Dragon, and Avatar's mind flashes back to the present where it reveals that, surprise, he didn't kill a Blue Man after all! But then Avatar from the future comes in and says "you suck" as he assumes his ultimate form: A Dragon. Chrom gets help from Palutena to get the power to stop A Dragon, which either results in him accomplishing nothing or leads to Avatar and A Dragon committing mutual suicide.

• Locked thread