Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

On the plus side
Ford GT dash mod :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

2017: My president is orange, and so is my Mustang.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mobby_6kl posted:

I liked analog gauges for at least the tach and speedo, they could've at least made them as cool as 80s digital ones :(

At least it's all digital. The Grand Cherokee has a digital speedometer and analog temp gauges and tachometer. They're designed to look the same, but of course they don't really. It's really weird. It doesn't look quite so strange in this picture as it does in real life.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They got rid of the land speed or whatever was displayed in place of MPH?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

They got rid of the land speed or whatever was displayed in place of MPH?

REVOLUTIONS PER MINUTE GROUND SPEED MPH

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I like digital dash boards but I agree on wanting at least analogue speedo. My Challenger has something like that

The speedo and revs are analogue but you can update the screen in the middle to show a bunch of different information.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At least it's all digital. The Grand Cherokee has a digital speedometer and analog temp gauges and tachometer. They're designed to look the same, but of course they don't really. It's really weird. It doesn't look quite so strange in this picture as it does in real life.

The digital dash is actually great and one of the most convenient and seamless parts of the interface on the car. The analog mode is dumb but the digital is really convenient and when the backlight is adjusted correctly you really don't notice the edges of the screen. The nice part about the screen is that any pertinent info takes over the main section while the speed slides up so it's easy to tell what the car's doing with all the auto systems because you don't have to hunt it down or dedicate permanent locations for systems that aren't active all the time.

Normal driving

Example of when one of the other features enables automatically.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All cars should have digital dashes by now. It's been probably over a decade since the last of them have had any real physical connection to anything on the car and it makes things so much integrated with the amount of information a modern car passes to the driver.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I love digital clusters but some of them are so bright and won't dim far enough. I enjoy setting the cruise and turning off the backlights entirely on my car at night.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
When is Ford going to make a 4 door Mustang?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TheWevel posted:

They recently ended production of the Falcon in Australia, so... Never.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

TheWevel posted:

Considering the closest equivalent cars are the Charger (under 100k units sold in 2016) and SS (under 4k units sold in 2016) not sure if there is a lot of interest.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BigPaddy posted:

I like digital dash boards but I agree on wanting at least analogue speedo. My Challenger has something like that

The speedo and revs are analogue but you can update the screen in the middle to show a bunch of different information.

I drove a boring Kia with this exact set up, I wonder how related they are.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I drove a boring Kia with this exact set up, I wonder how related they are.

It wouldn't be shocking if they were getting the clusters from the same supplier. The are basically blank and you load your own code on it. Wonder if you could load the Hellcat package on the Kia ones if they are indeed the same :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

It wouldn't be shocking if they were getting the clusters from the same supplier. The are basically blank and you load your own code on it. Wonder if you could load the Hellcat package on the Kia ones if they are indeed the same :v:

"Upshift when you see the flaming kimchi jar."

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

BigPaddy posted:

Considering the closest equivalent cars are the Charger (under 100k units sold in 2016) and SS (under 4k units sold in 2016) not sure if there is a lot of interest.

The Charger is on, what, an 11 year old (probably older) platform? And the SS was torpedoed by GM from the beginning.

edit: All I'm saying is the the newish Mustang seems like a good base to make a sedan with. Kill the Fusion. It's ugly and way too boring.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 18, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aren't they redoing the charger currently ?

Or did fiat forget about dodge.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
2020 or something. If FCA is still around then.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Both had a refresh in 2015, much better interiors and new exterior looks. As for replacement of the whole thing rumors seem to be around the next cars being smaller and based on the Alfa Giulia platform but nothing is set in stone apart from everything being dropped from Dodge apart from the Charger and Challenger in the future. Again this is FCA so who knows.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just make Jeep cars at this point .

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

TheWevel posted:

The Charger is on, what, an 11 year old (probably older) platform? And the SS was torpedoed by GM from the beginning.

edit: All I'm saying is the the newish Mustang seems like a good base to make a sedan with. Kill the Fusion. It's ugly and way too boring.

I wish people would understand that a "platform" is just a set of measurements and specs that fix the distance from the cowl to the front axle and a couple of other things for the purposes of setting up an automated production line. It's not a "thing" that get's worn out with age or however this analogy is supposed to work. There's nothing wrong with the Charger just because certain measurements in the car's unibody have not changed for a long time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

Just realised the Kia one is actually more well featured (though I hated the poo poo in the middle of the dials)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The badge on the wheel looks like Hyundai, but yes it has more features and looks pretty cool.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

The badge on the wheel looks like Hyundai, but yes it has more features and looks pretty cool.

I'm dumb, it was indeed a Hyundai I drove, not a Kia :v:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

I wish people would understand that a "platform" is just a set of measurements and specs that fix the distance from the cowl to the front axle and a couple of other things for the purposes of setting up an automated production line. It's not a "thing" that get's worn out with age or however this analogy is supposed to work. There's nothing wrong with the Charger just because certain measurements in the car's unibody have not changed for a long time.

No, but over time the constraints of that setup begin to tell. Changes in the basic design (or "platform" if you prefer) have cascading impacts on many other issues and limit what you can do.

It's not that the platform itself is the problem so much as its suitability to the sort of vehicle you want to build off it. Reusing old platforms saves lots of time and money in tooling and setup costs, but also limits the amount of innovation you can do.

After 11 years, it's likely that most of the improvements in the performance of the car have already been added, and they're about at the limit of what they can do to continue improving the car. Thus newer model years end up being much like past ones and the line gets stale.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

euphronius posted:

Just make Jeep cars at this point .

Anything with Jeep badging that isn't a GC or Wrangle pretty much are already?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

I hear your nitpicking but doesn't the platform have a direct impact on driving/handling performance?

My Acura MDX drives like a Honda Odyssey because it's based on the Honda Odyssey platform. The 300/Charger/Challenger all lumber around like a late 90's Mercedes S-Class because they're based on a late 90's Mercedes S-Class platform.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Speaking of platforms, VW new car news has kind of been overshadowed by dieselgate these past few months, I just wanted to remind everyone that the the B7 Passat body stretched on top of an A6 running gear that they showcased is in production now.

Drivetrains are basically same as the Euro gas A6. 2.0T or 3.0Thupercharged with 7 speed DSG, air suspension is available.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dodge apparently still sells the Journey and Durango. so that is 4 vehicles. Quite a lineup.

Jounrey actually looks like a decent minivan replacement and I see tons of them. So probably has been canceled.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It could do with more chrome stick on lettering on the back IMO :colbert:

It's at least more interesting than most things VW make.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

TheWevel posted:

I hear your nitpicking but doesn't the platform have a direct impact on driving/handling performance?

My Acura MDX drives like a Honda Odyssey because it's based on the Honda Odyssey platform. The 300/Charger/Challenger all lumber around like a late 90's Mercedes S-Class because they're based on a late 90's Mercedes S-Class platform.

It can, but so can a thousand other things. A car on the same platform doesn't need to have the same suspension or even the same suspension architecture. These are kind of separate unrelated issues. A Golf and an A3 are on the same platform and can be built on the same line but the Golf might have steel suspension control arms and the A3 might have aluminum ones, and the drive is going to be different. The carmaker saves money(kind of) by having 2 vehicles that can be made on the same line, so the could for example shift A3 production to any plant that also built Golfs, but their real savings would be using the same parts for both cars, and they don't always do that.

The LX/Mercedes thing is a myth. The LX was based on the old LH and was already finalized when the merger happened, they went back and put in some MB parts that were shared with an older E-class, such as some suspension subframe parts and primarily the 5 speed MB RWD transmission replaced the originally planned Chrysler transmission but they are not on the same platform, the exercise was done so that they could have cost savings from sharing parts to justify the merger. Go read the section on Allpar.

It's doubly dumb because there *are* actual MB/Chrysler shared platform cars, namely the M-class and Grand Cherokee/Durango, and the Crossfire/SLK which was pretty much a rebadge, not even platform sharing, but for some reason everyone is stuck on the LX.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Deteriorata posted:

No, but over time the constraints of that setup begin to tell. Changes in the basic design (or "platform" if you prefer) have cascading impacts on many other issues and limit what you can do.

It's not that the platform itself is the problem so much as its suitability to the sort of vehicle you want to build off it. Reusing old platforms saves lots of time and money in tooling and setup costs, but also limits the amount of innovation you can do.

After 11 years, it's likely that most of the improvements in the performance of the car have already been added, and they're about at the limit of what they can do to continue improving the car. Thus newer model years end up being much like past ones and the line gets stale.

One of the primary "improvements" that they have been incorporating into new cars has been continually raising the cowl height until the windows are gunslits. Well it turns out the geniuses at Chrysler had anticipated this and the original 300C was already a pillbox on wheels when it came out in 2005 or whatever, so it was actually just the rest of the industry catching up to Chrysler for the last 15 years. :smugdog:

They actually had to reduce the cowl height on the last 300 refresh because people complained so much about visibility.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Hey, thanks for the lesson. I was genuinely curious about that.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The LX works but it's a pig. If nothing else knocking a couple hundred pounds out of the Charger, Challenger and 300 would be huge.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Soon every car and truck will be based upon one single global platform and we can argue about which one has more gotta have it factor.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The seats in that phideon look really comfy, and a place that my rear end needs to be. Shame they're in a VW.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You still can't discount materials improvements when it comes to platforms. The underlying platform was built to a specific strength with specific materials. As you develop different alloys and different manufacturing processes, it can drive design differences. An increases in strength due to a tweaked alloy may dictate a different underlying structure to take advantages of using less material. Use of an adhesive on parts rather than welding may increase rigidity.

So, while a platform doesn't necessarily 'age', improvements in materials science and manufacturing process can make it less optimal over time. It's worthwhile going back to a clean slate every once and awhile so you can design something taking into account all advances from the get go.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The whole "it is just an old X" is one of Jeramy Clarksons memes which should tell you how qualified a statement it is.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Digital gauges own. That new mustang looks huge though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What's with the drivers headrest on the VW?