Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Chalks posted:

I think it's a tough call since the price tag is rather high. Planetary landings are impressive as hell and it's fun to play though.

Basically, I bought it and I don't regret it because I'm happy to fund the further development of the game. If you're enjoying the game currently, it adds a bunch of extra interesting stuff.

Is multi-crew included in the horizons update? I forget, but if it is then perhaps the price is more reasonable because that stuff will really change how the game plays.

Multi-crew is something Frontier hasn't released yet, but you will get it as part of the Horizons expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Mr Fronts posted:

Multi-crew is something Frontier hasn't released yet, but you will get it as part of the Horizons expansion.

Sweet - that in my opinion probably makes the price tag worth it, if it's considered along side all the other features.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

starkebn posted:

the payoff is 3/5 man, all that time for this?

:sad:

at least you tried

I never promised a payoff. Problem was FaceFucker420 was already taken.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I honestly don't know how anyone can watch that whole thing and not feel the project is in a good place. these are the high level guys.

You really are a credulous buffoon, aren't you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW2JInyMoPc

Furry Hunter
May 5, 2005
Professional Fursecutor

Sillybones posted:

I'm so sorry. I have no idea.

Looks like "Death Breath" level 1 boss of Kid Niki, Radical kid ninja!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sillybones posted:

This is cool and you are cool and good.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Much like Star Citizen, Surface's latest gimmick could have been so much more.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

And this right here is why this game will never come out. Derek maintains the viewpoint (or did in his July Blog™) that it's a technical impossibility, and that may be true. Others maintain that the scummy business practices are to blame, others point to just how awful a job they've done so far as the necessary evidence against its completion. All valid points. But ultimately, even in a parallel universe where all other problems are solved, Star Citizen was never possible with Chris Roberts heading it. The man has no idea whatsoever how to make a game - he just thinks of "cool poo poo" like some 10-year old kid theorycrafting on a playground, with no idea how or if it would work in a game. Wing Commander was released because the tech of the time forcibly constrained him into a little box. The box is gone, and the idiot is free. He's taken over $100 million dollars of other people's money, opened several studios and employed hundreds of workers, and he has no idea what to tell them all to do. He has no idea what they're all supposed to be building, how it's supposed to work, and how any of it fits together. Meanwhile money is getting spent - every paycheck, every rent check, every space door - money gone - with nothing to show for it. Still no game, still no usable code, still no functioning tech demo, still no design, still no plan. Just the sweet smell of burning cash.

We're in 2017, a little more than 2 weeks in, and nothing's working. But it's time to talk about what "might be cool if." In 2 more weeks, nothing will be done. In 2 months - still nothing. At some point this year there will be a 30GB "patch" labelled "3.0" and it will be the same broken poo poo with a tacked-on vestigial feature like "Atmosphere 2.0" where they found a way to decouple the airlock <USE> prompt from your spacesuit and actually track whether or not the zone you're in has air in it (admittedly a very tricky problem that was somehow solved in 2001 by the Everquest guys, and probably earlier than that).

They can't build a basic space station without you clipping through the walls, but they're gonna have fleet battles with intelligent NPC AIs everywhere. They can't get the flight model working, but they're going to have procedural hand-crafted planets so big you can find things the developers didn't intend and have "emergent gameplay". They can't code a patcher, but they're going to have a system where you can mine asteroids and make custom additives for your fuel that will have an effect on the game and usher in a new supply/demand economy based on the new fuel tech that you've discovered yourself but kept secret from rival corporations.

You can't even hide in a loving crate yet.

But all this is going to happen. Chris saw the Matrix and thought it was a documentary, so now all he has to do is make the same exact thing but have 100 star systems in it instead of just one measly planet. This is a totally reasonable and achievable goal, certainly for a man whose highest life achievements are getting the boot from Microsoft, getting blacklisted from Hollywood, and loving a witch. Put this fucker in charge - he's got this. He just needs a little more money to complete the refactoring; the pipelines are looking good, and subsumption is a go. Once he's done rebuilding other people's long-optimized technology to not work right, he's just one more engine switch away from things really taking off. Partnerships with Amazon are removing the blockers, and manchildren everywhere who have inexplicable reproduced are using their kids' college funds to prop this project up when they're not busy building Constellation replicas in their basements.

I hope Windows 24 can run a DOS launcher.

:perfect:

:negative:

Dongsturm posted:

Say some more nice things about him Derek, I want to see if his head explodes.

Compliment him on seeing your point of view, maybe

Something's weird. I don't have him blocked, and he doesn't have me blocked. Yet, I can't see that Tweet in my feed

https://twitter.com/PapaDolvak/status/821569239026909184

I can see this one in my feed however

https://twitter.com/PapaDolvak/status/821591643535114240

I wonder if he deleted it. But it's up on the web.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Try not to cream yourself as you think about the following:

It's Summer 2018. DICE and EA have just put out a trailer for the new Battlefield game set in space. It's made on a new version of Frostbite that squeezes insane graphical performance out of the current console generation, with even more graphical potential on PCs. Games from 2016 and before look notably dated graphically. CIG released Squadron 42 prelude right before Christmas 2017. There are 5 hours of cutscenes with 3 missions in space and 2 on a planet. Development on the PU has essentially not progressed though some smaller ships have been made flyable. CIG's current internal agenda is porting the prelude to consoles, but teams are also working on "3.0" videos for gamescon and citizencon. There have been several new concept sales. Now it's Christmas time. The new Battlefield is released. It is in a highly optimized and polished state, though plagued by server issues due to the number of players. These issues are taken care of over about 3 months and a healthy new community is born surrounding the game as a lot of the Star Wars battlefront players make the transition.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Mu77ley posted:

You really are a credulous buffoon, aren't you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW2JInyMoPc

:smug:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CIG should do a Cutlass 442 edition.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I like Tony Z because he was hired on as the guy to do the nuts and bolts of Chris's vision but he's also clearly an idea guy.

You can hire anyone to code things its a basic skill they teach in community college. Few people have the thought process to actually put any of that to use.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 18, 2017

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Yey for page 442, a great classic and one of my favorite muscle cars.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Has SurfaceDetail posted his balls on his new account yet or is he holding off cause idiots are still falling for it?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Has SurfaceDetail posted his balls on his new account yet or is he holding off cause idiots are still falling for it?

Yes

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sillybones posted:

Notes are being taken.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

JugbandDude posted:

Yey for page 442, a great classic and one of my favorite muscle cars.

I'm more of fan of the '67 style versus the '70.

With that said, FIL had a white '70 W-30. Complete with red inner fenders.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MeLKoR posted:

Notes are being taken.

You've been wrong in your criticisms of SC lately so often I have a mental note to say "more like FailKoR" everytime I see you post.

You are very close to simply seeing things are fine but you are fighting it.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

aw yiss! retard fight! :jackbud:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TrustmeImLegit posted:

You've been wrong in your criticisms of SC lately so often I have a mental note to say "more like FailKoR" everytime I see you post.

You are very close to simply seeing things are fine but you are fighting it.

This is what? The third time you've run this gimmick before settling down and posting normally? Good god man, I hope you don't get banned again, you always end taking it out on us. :negative:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

every single thing they do, it always like this.
I have never once hear them say " we've completed this " or this is done.
its always going to, planning to.

And for the love of god, I don't get how shitizens still haven't noticed this.

I have been waiting for exactly this talk for months. Many things that were very conceptual in the past are very clearly firming up. In particular the multi-crew dynamics and how the ships are going to persist and operate with multiple players logging in and out and accessing shared ships. People have to pay attention to how these mechanics are being described and at what level of detail. Much of this has not been explained with this much depth. I'm in STLYoungbloods Patreon Discord and we have PhD level discussions about this every single day with one of the most informed high level backer groups I've had the pleasure to know. Things are coming together behind the curtain at CIG and 3.0 is a much deeper and fundamental change than most of the community realizes, not just planets to fly down to.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I have been waiting for exactly this talk for months. Many things that were very conceptual in the past are very clearly firming up. In particular the multi-crew dynamics and how the ships are going to persist and operate with multiple players logging in and out and accessing shared ships. People have to pay attention to how these mechanics are being described and at what level of detail. Much of this has not been explained with this much depth. I'm in STLYoungbloods Patreon Discord and we have PhD level discussions about this every single day with one of the most informed high level backer groups I've had the pleasure to know. Things are coming together behind the curtain at CIG and 3.0 is a much deeper and fundamental change than most of the community realizes, not just planets to fly down to.

please be surfacedetail please be surfacedetail

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

please be surfacedetail please be surfacedetail

Your cynicism is unreal

For example, the multi-crew tech that Chris specifically mentions will be in 3.0. That is something that is arguably in development (or at least nailed down enough to start development) for the near future. Even if 3.0 has only basic versions of persistence (not just loadouts like now, but actual positional persistence), insurance, missions, planetary ecosystems/hazards, landing zones, multi-crew stations, and the other advancements slated to come with Items 2.0, then every item they talked about that covers those topics likely very much qualify as in development for the next content patch, even if you are skeptical of 3.0 imminence.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
We watched the same video, but through a different lens. A large portion of this thread is literally impossible to please. You are just quite vocal. It doesn't matter one tiny bit what is shown, said, or played, you will always, always want more.

Unfortunately it's to the point of absurdity. You all complain so much about not getting enough detail or insight, but don't realize that the more detailed the information we get is, the less people understand it.

CR even shows an example of this cargo thing in a big demo reveal, but you'll see people on here complaining as if he literally said nothing whatsoever about cargo/cargo missions. It's honestly astounding and disappointing. I've seen people on here have poo poo explained to them in simple terms like that, but then ask how the gently caress it's done in-game. Like.. poo poo dude, do you want a programmer/designer/whatever the hell job-guy to literally sit down and show you how to use his 3-D modelling program, or how to use his scripting program? Sorry, but unless you went to college for that poo poo or learned it over time (which is maybe .05% of this thread), you're not going to know what the hell is going on anyways.

I just don't even get it man.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Your cynicism is unreal

For example, the multi-crew tech that Chris specifically mentions will be in 3.0. That is something that is arguably in development (or at least nailed down enough to start development) for the near future. Even if 3.0 has only basic versions of persistence (not just loadouts like now, but actual positional persistence), insurance, missions, planetary ecosystems/hazards, landing zones, multi-crew stations, and the other advancements slated to come with Items 2.0, then every item they talked about that covers those topics likely very much qualify as in development for the next content patch, even if you are skeptical of 3.0 imminence.

So 3.0 is the Jesus patch eh? When should we expect to see it?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
A final word but thank you for reading and considering.

Nothing is ever "nailed down" completely when it's under development.

It's not even nailed down after initial development, because that's just the first version.

The only possible thing they could explain in such precise detail would be something that's already completely and utterly finished.

It's key to understand that things are always being developed - until they're actually developed.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Now that I know random people on the internet are having phd level discussions about their vaporware my mind can finally be at ease. Time to buy in big!

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Eldragon posted:

Posts like this are frustrating.

The problem is that if they tell you how they plan to do it and it doesn't go exactly that way, this entire thread will have shitfits even more than usual. That's why they say that's how we'd like to it, that's what we're hoping to aim for. People really don't get how insanely complex, dynamic, and constantly changing game development is.

It is one of the most blatant real-life examples of "a well-laid plan never survives contact with the enemy unharmed/without having holes punched in it". You can lay a general plan; you can say, we want to do this, we think this will be fun, we hope to do this, but the actual day to day development, much less long-term layout, is changing constantly and messing with those plans. Especially on a game that is trying to do this much, that is this big, and is doing so many things that haven't been done at this scale, fidelity, ambition, etc. Iteration is constant, unpredictable, and necessary to get something good.

Most people outside of the industry don't seem to be able to understand, conceive, or deal with this reality, and it's part of why most games, especially of this scale, are not developed even remotely openly. Because everyone who isn't in the trenches can't handle how unpredictable, difficult, iterative, complex, and nonlinear it is.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TrustmeImLegit posted:

should be "I get annoyed by posts like this"

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

TrustmeImLegit posted:

The problem is that if they tell you how they plan to do it and it doesn't go exactly that way, this entire thread will have shitfits even more than usual. That's why they say that's how we'd like to it, that's what we're hoping to aim for. People really don't get how insanely complex, dynamic, and constantly changing game development is.

It is one of the most blatant real-life examples of "a well-laid plan never survives contact with the enemy unharmed/without having holes punched in it". You can lay a general plan; you can say, we want to do this, we think this will be fun, we hope to do this, but the actual day to day development, much less long-term layout, is changing constantly and messing with those plans. Especially on a game that is trying to do this much, that is this big, and is doing so many things that haven't been done at this scale, fidelity, ambition, etc. Iteration is constant, unpredictable, and necessary to get something good.

Most people outside of the industry don't seem to be able to understand, conceive, or deal with this reality, and it's part of why most games, especially of this scale, are not developed even remotely openly. Because everyone who isn't in the trenches can't handle how unpredictable, difficult, iterative, complex, and nonlinear it is.

Are you trying to tell us we don't understand game development?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Mikojan posted:

Are you trying to tell us we don't understand game development?

Well do you?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TrustmeImLegit posted:

The "no plan survives contact" line is to emphasise the need for competent leadership to be adaptable, it's not supposed to be an excuse for constantly loving things up.

No plan survives contact with Chris Roberts.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Better than all citizens combined. That includes CIG.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eldragon posted:

Every patch is the jesus patch. Its been like this since 2.0 and when 2.1 or 2.2 was supposed to have all the fps enhancements that were showed with the original SM pitch that never got introduced in the game even with the actual SM patch.

like when the persistence patch came out people were saying "Oh just wait till the next patch, thats when they are going to add a lot of cool things" and then that ended up being another stupid station and a bunch of supposed under the hood things that no one felt.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

Better than all citizens combined. That includes CIG.
Have I played any of your AAA games?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Your cynicism is unreal

shut up assrapistdude

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Have I played any of your AAA games?

let's just say my a-game played you

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Every patch is the jesus patch, finally turning this mess into THE GAME to end all games.

The very same words you write have been said for 2.0, 2.1, 2.3 and so on. They will probably be spoken for 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and so on.

Look at your theorycraft about sharing ships : Who pay the "death penalty" (as the game concept, not the real DP) if a ship crash ? Do everyone onboard share it ? Why would i pay if you crashed it while i was offline ? What happen if you crash a ship more expensive than all you currently own while "sharing" it ? Are you driven into debt so low your next month of playing will bring you 0 money ? How are rewards shared ? Nobody knows, no docs exist beside napkin notes from the croblers addled mind and the ships crash all the time, sometime for absolutely no reasons.

CIG has no experience of dealing with MMO realities, exploits, Bots, RMT, Chinese farming or a Brazilian invasion and how it can gently caress up SC beyond ways you cant possibly imagine.

Whatever games you are being sold is not the one you will get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

aleksendr posted:

Every patch is the jesus patch, finally turning this mess into THE GAME to end all games.

The very same words you write have been said for 2.0, 2.1, 2.3 and so on. They will probably be spoken for 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and so on.

Look at your theorycraft about sharing ships : Who pay the "death penalty" (as the game concept, not the real DP) if a ship crash ? Do everyone onboard share it ? Why would i pay if you crashed it while i was offline ? What happen if you crash a ship more expensive than all you currently own while "sharing" it ? Are you driven into debt so low your next month of playing will bring you 0 money ? How are rewards shared ? Nobody knows, no docs exist beside napkin notes from the croblers addled mind and the ships crash all the time, sometime for absolutely no reasons.

CIG has no experience of dealing with MMO realities, exploits, Bots, RMT, Chinese farming or a Brazilian invasion and how it can gently caress up SC beyond ways you cant possibly imagine.

Whatever games you are being sold is not the one you will get.

Most of your questions were literally just answered yesterday by the main man himself. This must be embarrassing for you. When we look at the progress over the last 2 years, we get an idea about the next 2 years.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 18, 2017