Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
An inaccurate burn isn't much of a burn at all.

e: what he said ^^^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

It would be a contender if the comparison actually worked, which I don't think it does at all.

Okay, Mr. Chazelle

Dissapointed Owl posted:

An inaccurate burn isn't much of a burn at all.

Okay, Mr. O. Russell

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
While it's not like I expected much from it, it's still disappointing that EMH came together in an even more underwhelming, more "forgetting everything they had set up" way than Marble Hornets. I think in general it's not a great sign if you kill off almost your entire cast within a few videos after literal years of build up. I'm not saying that can't work but you have to do a ton of work to justify that sort of thing which was well beyond what these guys were capable of

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Chapo and Crow T. Robot ripping on a lovely Dinesh D'Souza movie is like heroin to me.

The new Grey Wolf episode is them playing Call of Cthulhu and I'm unbelievably stoked for Chapo doing a tabletop RPG podcast.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The new Grey Wolf episode is them playing Call of Cthulhu and I'm unbelievably stoked for Chapo doing a tabletop RPG podcast.

Capone Speak Easy

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've wanted an excuse to post this but they definitely still make inexplicable videogame commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrsy_JOVIu8

Suggested Video: This Hot Girl Has Piano Skills

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Chapo and Crow T. Robot ripping on a lovely Dinesh D'Souza movie is like heroin to me.

It was so loving good

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Peccadillo posted:

Man I did not dig La La Land

Yep.

It's shot and edited like some kind of DTV horror-thriller, where the monster that stalks the protagonists is a crap jazz.

Like a dude in a Drive jacket directed a Drag Me To Hell musical fanfilm for the youtube, and it's over two hours long.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Anna Biller has been just shredding La La Land on twitter, often just by posting screencaps of it next to screencaps of Jacques Demy musicals.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yep.

It's shot and edited like some kind of DTV horror-thriller, where the monster that stalks the protagonists is a crap jazz.

Like a dude in a Drive jacket directed a Drag Me To Hell musical fanfilm for the youtube, and it's over two hours long.

You made me more excited to see it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Anna Biller has been just shredding La La Land on twitter, often just by posting screencaps of it next to screencaps of Jacques Demy musicals.

Haha link? I enjoyed La La Land, though some of the musical numbers are amateur hour. That spinning camera.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Haha link? I enjoyed La La Land, though some of the musical numbers are amateur hour. That spinning camera.

I'd have to dig back a bit to find the exact tweets, but either way Biller's definitely a film person worth following on Twitter (@missannabiller)

edit: it actually looks like she deleted the screenshots from La La Land, although the Demy screenshot tweets are still up (maybeshe thought she was being too mean by putting them right next to each other), but these tweets are still up and sum up her feelings on the movie:

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 18, 2017

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
La La Land reminds me of Argo in that in an ideal world they would be considered mediocre/good, not above average/best picture.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Oscars are not a sign of quality to anyone paying attention or not enamored with the incestual beauty pageant it is

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Argo is a terrible movie.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It's okay.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I liked la la land better than her movie, but if it secretariat's its way to best picture, the backlash might be as immense as a crash/the artist/argo. Though I'm glad the other two top contenders appear to be moonlight and manny by the sea at the moment.

Interesting set of value differences as well, chazelle revels in that rich musical aesthetic for its own pleasure (which i don't think is a bad thing in and of itself), while biller also frontloads her influences but instead uses that aesthetic to critique the overarching patriarchial structure yet still have them retain their surface appeal.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Argo is a terrible movie.

It's a perfectly competent political thriller.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

it's so "perfectly competent" that it borders on self-parody is the problem

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Argo's lame. The only real standout is the stuff at the end in the airport.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Argo's lame. The only real standout is the stuff at the end in the airport.

I was gonna say the only standout stuff is the beginning at the embassy, which is a major problem since the movie starts off with the only scene that has any urgency to it, making the rest of the movie extra dull and logy by comparison.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Jack Kirby in Argo? I haven't seen it, but if so I have a feeling my opinion of the film would revolve completely around the quality of that performance.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

2017 is gonna suck quote me on that fuckers

Coffee And Pie posted:

Y'all I just had possibly the best possible night:
-had French Onion soup
-made kickass White Russians
-showed my new GF Green Room (she loved it)
-shortly after I got my first beej

Life is beautiful.

Prophecy fulfilled.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Is Jack Kirby in Argo? I haven't seen it, but if so I have a feeling my opinion of the film would revolve completely around the quality of that performance.

Another major knock against the movie: No, he isn't in it at all. There's like one shot of a dude sketching stuff who might be him, but he gets no lines and isn't named.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was gonna say the only standout stuff is the beginning at the embassy, which is a major problem since the movie starts off with the only scene that has any urgency to it, making the rest of the movie extra dull and logy by comparison.

Yeah, actually I like the beginning. So, best case scenario, it's bookended by some good scenes. None of the Hollywood stuff lands for me at all, it just comes off as by the numbers and half-assed, like Affleck didn't actually care about that part of it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The middle of Argo is dedicated to trying to create a lame catch phrase.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The middle of Argo is dedicated to trying to create a lame catch phrase.

I'm probably alone on this one but it's insane to me how cringeworthy like every scene with Alan Arkin is

update: apparently the guy sketching is supposed to be Jack Kirby, and he's played by Michael Parks, which is not terrible casting, but again, I don't think he gets any lines.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 18, 2017

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Coaaab posted:

I liked la la land better than her movie, but if it secretariat's its way to best picture, the backlash might be as immense as a crash/the artist/argo.

Yo Crash is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay different ballpark than those movies

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Yo Crash is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay different ballpark than those movies

I don't think it's as far as Argo as you might think, they even both have weird racism in common

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Coffee And Pie posted:

I agree. It's a bit run-of-the-mill, and pretty forgettable, but it's enjoyable enough. Not a Best Picture, of course. I enjoyed The Artist a lot more; it has much more vibrancy and plain joy to it than Argo. (Crash is, of course, a dreadful film which I couldn't finish).

I just loved La la Land. I think this New Yorker review is pretty good, and deals nicely with the fact that the singing and dancing are not of the standard of the golden years to which they hearken back.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/12/12/dancing-with-the-stars

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'd have to dig back a bit to find the exact tweets, but either way Biller's definitely a film person worth following on Twitter (@missannabiller)

edit: it actually looks like she deleted the screenshots from La La Land, although the Demy screenshot tweets are still up (maybeshe thought she was being too mean by putting them right next to each other), but these tweets are still up and sum up her feelings on the movie:

I think calling the conflicts in La La Land unrealistic is just flat out wrong. There's a scene where Gosling and Stone argue about their careers and futures that feels exactly how arguments I've had in a relationship before, and exactly how I think most people do have arguments. Each of them hits troubles that, in their chosen professions, would be real obstacles and real challenges to anyone trying to do what they are trying to do.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't think it's as far as Argo as you might think, they even both have weird racism in common

I just watched Traffic for the first time and can't believe it didn't win BP since it's Crash + omg the war on drugs!

Really, I'm just the one guy willing to go to the mats for The Artist.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

I just watched Traffic for the first time and can't believe it didn't win BP since it's Crash + omg the war on drugs!

I'm the guy who'll go to the mat for Traffic so here we are

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

See I read this exactly the opposite way, Gosling's character is a goober incapable of innovation or moving on, which mirrors / leads to the final scene of him working alone in a jazz bar -- exactly where the Stone's character found him in the first place, even if he owns it now -- dreaming about what could have been if he'd held on to her while she's there with her family, happy to see him, but ready to leave when the song's over.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

weekly font posted:

It doesn't have any "non-white people can be racist too" scenes.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

weekly font posted:

I've never heard anything but praise for The Artist. It seems quite universally beloved, at least by those who aren't immediately turned off by its aesthetic.

morestuff posted:

Suggested Video: This Hot Girl Has Piano Skills

Well, does she?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Skwirl posted:

It doesn't have any "non-white people can be racist too" scenes.

But it does have "even rich white honor kids can do crack?!?!"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm the guy who'll go to the mat for Traffic so here we are

I respect it because the few good scenes share some DNA with Sicario.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Samuel Clemens posted:

Well, does she?

Is it that Russian piano savant who is forced to listen to video game music and replay it by memory?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

glam rock hamhock posted:

Prophecy fulfilled.

Hahahaha post of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,