Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Pretty much every paragraph of this makes me lol. I'm on phone, can someone please copy paste this and lol at everything: https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1521CE?client=safari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

On the subject of whether or not there's electoral backlash when the Republicans gently caress us, I'm taking the pussy (grabbing) way out and saying I don't have any idea what will happen anymore, and neither do any of you. This is best exemplified by me saying to people in late October "Unless literally all of the polls are wrong, Clinton is sure to win! But what are the chances of that?..." followed by an immediate jump cut of me saying "Literally all of the polls were wrong." We have lived through a year and a half of improbabilities, and it's naive to think that anything is certain now (except death). Of course, there is wisdom in looking at past data for an approximate idea of what to expect, but it is not prophecy, and it is clear that we live in a time where the old rules are mostly non-applicable.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
For real can you ban aca with a 51 vote or do you need 60 because of filibusters?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

the domnhall promised to fight all the bad hombres but it looks like...the bad hombres...we're with him the whole time???

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Trash Trick posted:

Pretty much every paragraph of this makes me lol. I'm on phone, can someone please copy paste this and lol at everything: https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1521CE?client=safari

Business euphoria over Trump gives way to caution, confusion

quote:

By Patrick Rucker and Sarah N. Lynch | WASHINGTON
Early optimism among business lobbyists and executives that Donald Trump's election heralded better days has slowly given way to uncertainty as the president-elect fires off mixed and sometimes confusing messages on healthcare, taxes and trade.

An initial euphoria in the business world fueled a powerful post-election stock rally. Some of that has frayed as questions arise over the nuts and bolts of Trump's campaign promises, although many in the business community said they remain optimistic.

Doubts deepened over the weekend as Trump declared he would replace President Barack Obama's signature healthcare plan known as Obamacare with "insurance for everybody" - a goal far beyond Republican designs - and criticized a key component of a plan in Congress to overhaul corporate taxes.

"It is fair to say that since the election, there has been mounting uncertainty about exactly what the specific policies are likely to be with regard to tax reform and replacing Obamacare," a financial industry official said.

Expectations for faster growth, tax reform and a quick repeal of Obamacare, officially known as the Affordable Care Act, have "given way to 'We are not really sure what he means by that'," the official said.

A veteran Republican financial lobbyist said she is under constant pressure from clients to predict what the new administration is planning, but she has no reliable answers for them.

WRENCH IN OBAMACARE REPEAL

Trump appears to have thrown a wrench into Republican plans to repeal Obamacare with mixed signals on the details and timing of a replacement plan.

Congressional Republicans have focused on limiting government involvement in the healthcare system and eliminating the law's individual mandate that forces people to have insurance.

But Trump told the Washington Post he was almost done with a plan to replace Obamacare with "insurance for everybody" while forcing drug companies to negotiate directly with the government on prices for Medicare and Medicaid.

ALSO IN POLITICS

U.S. Commerce nominee Ross says NAFTA is Trump's first trade priority
Potentially nasty fight looms over Trump U.S. Supreme Court pick
Trump's recent attack on the border adjustment tax was another sign of his unpredictability, the veteran financial lobbyist said.

That measure would tax imports and exempt exports in an effort to encourage companies to keep jobs and production in the United States. But in an interview with the Wall Street Journal on Friday, Trump called the proposal "too complicated."

"Anytime I hear border adjustment, I don't love it," Trump told the Journal. "Because usually it means we're going to get adjusted into a bad deal. That’s what happens."

Chris Krueger, an analyst at the investment firm Cowen and Co, said Trump's comments to the newspaper about the border adjustment proposal were "breathtaking."

"Trump is like a policy bull who seems to bring his own china shop with him to destroy it with every interview," Krueger wrote in a research note.

Lobbyists said the Trump transition team's lack of interest in their input was clear in the last two weeks as it summoned trade groups to daily "listening sessions" at the American Enterprise Institute think tank. The agriculture, financial, transportation and tech industries are among the sectors that got a one-hour session, according to participants.

"GOAT RODEO"

In the sessions, Wall Street lobbyists were encouraged to talk fast: a giant television screen overhead counted down two minutes of allotted time.

"It was a goat rodeo. We all got a couple minutes to speak. What can you really say in that time?" said another financial services lobbyist. "They wanted to check the box - 'We’re listening to Wall Street'. But who even knows where these transition people will be in a few days?"

Lobbyists also have been alarmed that the transition team has not included them in preparations for confirmation hearings for many nominated Cabinet officials, including potential Treasury secretary Steven Mnuchin.

"If you want someone to explain how Elizabeth Warren can hammer you 12 different ways, ask a lobbyist," said the financial services lobbyist, referring to the Massachusetts senator who is a frequent critic of Wall Street.

Even Trump's website sowed confusion about his intentions. A promise to dismantle the Dodd-Frank regulatory reforms was removed at the end of last year and has not been replaced. A Trump spokesperson blamed a redesign, but bank lobbyists are not so sure - other content made it through the redesign.

Some companies have been reassured by Trump’s Cabinet nominees, who are seen as more predictable and supportive of the business establishment than the impulsive president-elect.

Senator Jeff Sessions, Trump’s pick for attorney general, has deep differences on values with the technology sector, but is seen as an important Trump counterweight because he is a “deliberate decision-maker not prone to big dramatic mood swings,” a source at one major Silicon Valley firm said.

Many lobbyists and business officials said they remain optimistic and cautioned against reading too deeply into tweets or comments that Trump makes on policy.

“If Obama or Bush opined on a policy ... most of Washington assumed that raising that question was a well-vetted intentional decision to send a signal,” a senior U.S. Chamber of Commerce official said.

Trump, by contrast, may simply be raising policy issues because he has questions on them, the chamber official said.

The same financial industry official who acknowledged the uncertain climate also said he remains optimistic.

"There were a lot of candidates who were interviewed. There were names floated out there and ... it was kind of a chaotic process," the official said, referring to the process of picking candidates to fill Cabinet and other administration positions. “But overall, I think one can make the observation that in making the final selections, Trump has shown ... a very surprising even-handedness."

(Additional reporting by Julia Edwards Ainsley and Dustin Volz; Writing by John Whitesides; Editing by Kevin Drawbaugh and Bill Rigby)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

she was at the alfred e smith dinner and basically her huge boobs were on camera for the entire time

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Turdfuzz posted:

"yes all americans deserve healthcare"
i dunno why that is so fucken hard to say goddddddaaaammmnnnn

Because they genuinely believe Americans don't deserve healthcare. It's a luxury you pay for, not a right.

No, it doesn't matter if universal healthcare is more economically efficient. It's about prosperity gospel and FYGM and other irrational poo poo.

Source: I lobbied for Medicaid expansion in Ohio in 2014. Some infuriating GOP people there!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I voted for Donald Trump, and I already regret it

http://www.vox.com/first-person/2017/1/18/14300952/donald-trump-vote-regret

quote:

I know I’ll be ridiculed for voicing my regret
It’s not easy for me to come forward and say all of this. I feel humiliated already, and I know that going public with my story will open me to ridicule. But I don’t know what else to do to try to oppose him and his actions. I’m too sick to participate in peaceful protest. All I can do is try to spread the word, publishing editorials, signing petitions, and posting on Facebook, trying to do what I can to change the minds of my friends and families who continue to support him.

I hope that by coming forward, I can encourage other Trump voters who feel the same regret to speak out as well. Together we can send a message to Washington: All of you Republicans in Congress, I know that you are excited to pass your legislation, but you need to reign in this dangerous cult of personality or I will begin advocating against your party. I’m ready to switch sides to stop him.

My peers who voted for Trump still don’t get it. They tell me to give the man a chance, that it’s still too early to tell and that I shouldn’t listen to the media. They aren’t willing to let go the hope they have that he will keep their best interest in mind. They tell me, what were they going to do, vote for Hillary, of all people?

I wish I had. I wish I had done anything else but vote for him. I know my one small vote doesn’t make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, but this one feels so personal. The decision haunts me every day. And I’ll do whatever I can to help reverse it.

—as told to Karen Turner

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

For real can you ban aca with a 51 vote or do you need 60 because of filibusters?

Iirc you need 51 to get rid of it but 60 to put in something new, which is part of the Republicans problem. They need Democrats to actually replace it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Redefine alliances

That sounds good

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That DICK! posted:

I just remembered the last time I was truly happy was looking at this woman's breasts at that dinner and now Shkreli has soiled even that

this is profoundly funny and sad. Stay strong, That DICK!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

But sitting on my couch, sipping coffee as I watched the interview, I saw with my own eyes who Trump really was as a person. He backtracked on one of his signature campaign promises: pursuing an investigation into the Clinton email scandal. It’s not that I want Clinton to be crucified or “locked up” — it’s the nonchalance with which he went back on his word after hammering it repeatedly during the campaign. The ease and quickness with which he reversed his position shook me to my core. I realized in that moment that I had voted for a demagogue. And it was sickening.

That was the first backtrack you noticed? Really?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbJxMd3Pls8

sup corncob

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Trump is doing and saying the exact same things he's been doing and saying for over a year prior to the election, what the hell are these suddenly woke rear end crackers talking about.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

prefect posted:

But sitting on my couch, sipping coffee as I watched the interview, I saw with my own eyes who Trump really was as a person. He backtracked on one of his signature campaign promises: pursuing an investigation into the Clinton email scandal. It’s not that I want Clinton to be crucified or “locked up” — it’s the nonchalance with which he went back on his word after hammering it repeatedly during the campaign. The ease and quickness with which he reversed his position shook me to my core. I realized in that moment that I had voted for a demagogue. And it was sickening.

the average trump voter is poorly educated and as a result has poor critical thinking skills

none of this is surprising

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nichael posted:

On the subject of whether or not there's electoral backlash when the Republicans gently caress us, I'm taking the pussy (grabbing) way out and saying I don't have any idea what will happen anymore, and neither do any of you.

The correct answer. Sadly it's also the boring answer as none of us want to run "who knows, nothing matters v:v:v" into the ground just yet

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

prefect posted:

Hey man, she's a real political junkie. Don't judge.

quote:

I’m a former law enforcement officer in my 50s, originally from Texas but currently living in a small Midwestern town. I’m a real political junkie, spending much of my day reading news and watching C-SPAN, and issues like immigration enforcement, pro-life laws, and health care are important to me. Though I tend to fall on the conservative end of the political spectrum, it’s important to me to remain open-minded, and I’ve cast my vote for Democratic candidates like Al Gore in the past.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

yo has anyone said yet that when trump is inevitably dragged out in the street and strung up by an angry mob, they dont piss on him like they did to mussolini because trump would enjoy it too much?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Origami Dali posted:

Trump is doing and saying the exact same things he's been doing and saying for over a year prior to the election, what the hell are these suddenly woke rear end crackers talking about.

there's a huge swath of idiots who legitimately thought that once elected trump would immediately become "presidential"

America is a stupid country

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i read a lot of facebook and,

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Bethamphetamine posted:

Lol, Mike Pence and company are trying to get Trump to discontinue PEPFAR. Even Rex Tillerson is overwhelmingly supportive of the program.

It's all probably going to hinge on Putin - how will he balance his hatred for gays, love of free money, and deal with the fact that at least 1.5% of his people have HIV/AIDS and heterosexual sex is set to eclipse drug use as the primary mode of transmission of the disease in the next year or 2.

They're pretty much ignored the AIDS epidemic entirely in Russia and probably won't be bothered until 10% of their population has it and people are dropping dead in the streets like 80s San Francisco.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

conservatives not loving abortion is the greatest conundrum

Serf
May 5, 2011

triple sulk posted:

how can you oppress people if they don't get born first

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Because they genuinely believe Americans don't deserve healthcare. It's a luxury you pay for, not a right.

No, it doesn't matter if universal healthcare is more economically efficient. It's about prosperity gospel and FYGM and other irrational poo poo.

Source: I lobbied for Medicaid expansion in Ohio in 2014. Some infuriating GOP people there!

yea i know
its p fucken dumb!

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

nah its all that religious stuff about being fruitful and multiplying

how can u have a quiverfull of children by the age of 18 if u get an abortion???

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He wasn't a demogouge when he said he'd lock up his political opponents I guess

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD:
and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man;
so are children of the youth.
Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them:
they shall not be ashamed,
but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Jesus. loving. Christ.

Dear Democrats,

It's time we talked about messaging. The time to start messaging is not today, it is yesterday. Please stop hiring well-intentioned but unpracticed complete morons who just took a PR class at community college and showed up at the PP march. From now on, instead of making splashy graphics that make no sense, practice these short, pithy responses:

"Donald Trump's plan is to dismantle medicaid and turn it into block grants."

Make sure you get that word 'dismantle' in there. Every time you talk about medicaid, make sure the word dismantle is in there about 100 times.

"Donald Trump's wall is a massive tax increase on Americans everywhere."

Don't get into the minutiae of anything. Just call it what it is. Who's paying for the wall? Us. How are we going to pay for it? Money. Where does that money come from? Your taxes. Don't lay that out every drat time, just say "the wall is the biggest tax increase in the history of the United States," and when someone calls you out, explain to them like they're a baby where money has to come from. Make them look like a moron, don't lose your cool, talk down to them treat them like poo poo. Soon enough you don't need to argue about that poo poo anymore. You just need to say "Wall is biggest tax increase in history" and people will agree.

"The budget just passed by Deficit Donald will grow the national deficit by 9 trillion dollars, the largest amount in any budget ever made."

Stop referring to Donald Trump as President Trump or the President or even Mr. Trump. Call him Deficit Donald at every opportunity very casually and very matter of factly. Will this work on hardcore trumpkin GOpers? Hell no, but it's time to stop reaching across the aisle to that 32% sliver and letting them drive the narrative. This has the added bonus that Donald Trump is a legitimate moron who thinks this is a sick burn. This is literally how his brain works. He will overreact, and drive the narrative for you.

Stop coming up with cute catchphrases like "The Price is Wrong" about Tom Price. That's cute. People hear cute in politics and they think "well it must not be serious." Make it serious. Tom Price is a massively corrupt, bribe-taking son of a bitch. He is corrupt. harp on corrupt. Corrupt corrupt corrupt.

Stop loving around. Someone send this to Nancy pelosi in case I die in a car accident on the way to work. gently caress's sake.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
also i found this in my images folder and wanted to upload it again

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Serf posted:

how can you oppress people if they don't get born first

mormonpartyboat posted:

nah its all that religious stuff about being fruitful and multiplying

how can u have a quiverfull of children by the age of 18 if u get an abortion???

mostly that you'd think they could come up with an excuse to say why jesus wouldn't want for the child to be born into poverty and then all the money would trickle down to them and they'd be rich!!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Iirc you need 51 to get rid of it but 60 to put in something new, which is part of the Republicans problem. They need Democrats to actually replace it.

http://www.newsweek.com/how-hard-repeal-obamacare-433590

OK i double checked it. You need 51 votes for reconciliation, but you still need 60 to repeal the thing. Basically you get to keep a lot of the bone structure of obama care no matter what like the no denile of coverage stuff, the u26 coverage and things like that. Basically all the non government funded cost cutting too.

Tired of people on facebook hollering about the appeal of a bill that will never be appealed unless it is worth it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

pathetic little tramp posted:

Jesus. loving. Christ.

Dear Democrats,

It's time we talked about messaging. The time to start messaging is not today, it is yesterday. Please stop hiring well-intentioned but unpracticed complete morons who just took a PR class at community college and showed up at the PP march. From now on, instead of making splashy graphics that make no sense, practice these short, pithy responses:

"Donald Trump's plan is to dismantle medicaid and turn it into block grants."

Make sure you get that word 'dismantle' in there. Every time you talk about medicaid, make sure the word dismantle is in there about 100 times.

"Donald Trump's wall is a massive tax increase on Americans everywhere."

Don't get into the minutiae of anything. Just call it what it is. Who's paying for the wall? Us. How are we going to pay for it? Money. Where does that money come from? Your taxes. Don't lay that out every drat time, just say "the wall is the biggest tax increase in the history of the United States," and when someone calls you out, explain to them like they're a baby where money has to come from. Make them look like a moron, don't lose your cool, talk down to them treat them like poo poo. Soon enough you don't need to argue about that poo poo anymore. You just need to say "Wall is biggest tax increase in history" and people will agree.

"The budget just passed by Deficit Donald will grow the national deficit by 9 trillion dollars, the largest amount in any budget ever made."

Stop referring to Donald Trump as President Trump or the President or even Mr. Trump. Call him Deficit Donald at every opportunity very casually and very matter of factly. Will this work on hardcore trumpkin GOpers? Hell no, but it's time to stop reaching across the aisle to that 32% sliver and letting them drive the narrative. This has the added bonus that Donald Trump is a legitimate moron who thinks this is a sick burn. This is literally how his brain works. He will overreact, and drive the narrative for you.

Stop coming up with cute catchphrases like "The Price is Wrong" about Tom Price. That's cute. People hear cute in politics and they think "well it must not be serious." Make it serious. Tom Price is a massively corrupt, bribe-taking son of a bitch. He is corrupt. harp on corrupt. Corrupt corrupt corrupt.

Stop loving around. Someone send this to Nancy pelosi in case I die in a car accident on the way to work. gently caress's sake.

stuff like this makes me want to leave the party and just join the socialist party or something tbh

if i wasn't registered in a closed primary state i'd probably do it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How about as a message

"Trump is a fascist Russian toady"

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

mormonpartyboat posted:

oh good the gop finally figured out something to replace obamacare with

https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/821731543240634368

This is exactly what I knew they would do. Except the states run by Republican governors will now get the subsidies, and all the dumbfucks in these states will go "Wow, I can afford insurance now, Republicans are great! I can't wait for their real plan!".

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's seriously gonna own when premiums go up 25-50% next year

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

these people are the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet

Serf
May 5, 2011

triple sulk posted:

mostly that you'd think they could come up with an excuse to say why jesus wouldn't want for the child to be born into poverty and then all the money would trickle down to them and they'd be rich!!

because their goal is to make people suffer, nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i just woke up, has everyone laughed at this fuckboy

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/821746226022457344

• Locked thread