Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

your friend a dog posted:

Yes, that obviously serious post. You seem like a real smart dude.

Do you know what the difference is between someone who is a piece of poo poo and someone who pretends to be a piece of poo poo?

Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's somewhat likely that a large, undiscovered ape species survived until fairly recently (in palaeontological terms) in some corner of the globe. Gigantopithecus didn't come out of nowhere, after all. However, the chances that a sustainable breeding population of large undescribed apes is currently living in North America is so exceedingly small as to be laughable. We can't actually say that the probability is zero but it's astronomically close to zero.

(I'm a massive Bigfoot skeptic but I would love to be proved wrong, I'm fascinated by cryptozoology.)

Yea when I say Bigfoot I'm referring to the all-encompassing Sasquatch/Yeti myth that exists in many places around the world. I agree that the absolute least likely place for it to be legit would be North America, but there are still places where vast amounts of forest go unseen by humans for pretty long periods of time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

Yea when I say Bigfoot I'm referring to the all-encompassing Sasquatch/Yeti myth that exists in many places around the world. I agree that the absolute least likely place for it to be legit would be North America, but there are still places where vast amounts of forest go unseen by humans for pretty long periods of time.

The Himalayan Yeti has been shown pretty conclusively to be a local species of bear. Stories about vicious apemen were probably perpetuated by impoverished locals who were desperate for tourist dollars and preserved pieces of Yeti corpses held in local temples have always turned out to be fakes.

If you've got some old books on Bigfoot legends from around the world they might include the Bondegezou, the 'Man of the Forest' known only from tribal legends in West Papua which describes it as a tiny man covered in fur. Field biologist Tim Flannery actually found the creature in 1995 and proved that it actually exists, except that it turned out to be a species of tree kangaroo and not a hominoid at all.

My money is on the Sumatran Orang Pendek turning out to be real if any, but it'll probably be just a regular ape and not any kind of Bigfoot.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Basebf555 posted:

we have not discovered a new large mammal in a very long time. Especially in the age of smartphones, it is near impossible for any breeding population of a large mammal to exist that has not been found.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Homo florensis existed until a few thousand years ago I think.

Imagine if a hobbit like almost but not quite human relative still existed. And how much racist bullshit they'd have to put up with.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Outrail posted:

Homo florensis existed until a few thousand years ago I think.

Imagine if a hobbit like almost but not quite human relative still existed. And how much racist bullshit they'd have to put up with.

Wikipedia posted:

This hominin had originally been considered to be remarkable for its survival until relatively recent times, only 12,000 years ago.[4] However, more extensive stratigraphic and chronological work has pushed the dating of the most recent evidence of their existence back to 50,000 years ago.[5][6][7] Their skeletal material is now dated to from 100,000 to 60,000 years ago; stone tools recovered alongside the skeletal remains were from archaeological horizons ranging from 190,000 to 50,000 years ago.[8]

Even initial reports put it at the edge of pre-history, not "a few thousand years ago". And it turns out they're much older. Still very recent from an evolutionary perspective, of course, contemporary with homo sapiens but definitely NOT with civilization (and hence probably not with racism).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

DontMockMySmock posted:

Even initial reports put it at the edge of pre-history, not "a few thousand years ago". And it turns out they're much older. Still very recent from an evolutionary perspective, of course, contemporary with homo sapiens but definitely NOT with civilization (and hence probably not with racism).

I swear I read something like 4000 years. Maybe it's the best considering European treatment of of our own species.

Oh well, stay safe extinct Homo cousin.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Do you know what the difference is between someone who is a piece of poo poo and someone who pretends to be a piece of poo poo?

Nothing.

"Haha, these guys all think I'm a piece of poo poo. Little do they know.... I am not a piece of poo poo!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

we have not discovered a new large mammal in a very long time. Especially in the age of smartphones, it is near impossible for any breeding population of a large mammal to exist that has not been found.

There are large swaths of Canadian wilderness that just don't see many human visitors though. The advancement of technology isn't really relevant when discussing those areas.

I brought it up because I know its semi-ridiculous, I'm certainly not saying its likely, I agree its very unlikely.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just in case everyone else isn't thoroughly captivated by Bigfootchat here's a video compilation of dumb stunt fails. If you find the dumb fat guy in the first clip to be too annoying just skip ahead to the 1:30 mark where the other clips start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdwl20Ir3uc&t=11s

Edit: this fail compilation has some good clips as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-QqveJ5eNI

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Jan 18, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ElGroucho posted:

"Haha, these guys all think I'm a piece of poo poo. Little do they know.... I am not a piece of poo poo!"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Also you can see that the Earth is round from the shadow it casts during a lunar eclipse, as was noted by Aristotle. Also shadows are different lengths at latitudes, as was noted by Eratosthenes. Etc etc. Unless I guess those guys were in on the anti-flat earth conspiracy 22 centuries ago?
Flat earthers say that eclipses are caused by the antimoon, not the earth's shadow.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Outrail posted:

I swear I read something like 4000 years. Maybe it's the best considering European treatment of of our own species.

Oh well, stay safe extinct Homo cousin.

Europeans haven't had a monopoly on piss poor treatment of other humans, hth.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GWBBQ posted:

Flat earthers say that eclipses are caused by the antimoon, not the earth's shadow.

Q: What element is the anti-moon made of?
A: Antimoony!

:dadjoke:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Q: What element is the anti-moon made of?
A: Antimoony!

:dadjoke:
"Antimoon" is the Afrikaans word for Antimony :eng101:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

GWBBQ posted:

Do they think the moon/antimoon is a sphere or a flat disc?

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
What is the plural of Bigfoot

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

plain blue jacket posted:

bigfeet dummy

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

plain blue jacket posted:

Bigsfoot

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

I'm not dumb :mad:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

In the Old Testament, The earth is basically a flat disc, with a dome above it that keeps a giant ocean restrained, and stars are lights on that dome. rain is water seeping through it, and the great flood was god opening literal floodgates.

The schadenfreude is when you point this out to Christians. They get very upset because its so absurd, but uts right in the Bible.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

I'm the badger and this thread's stupid loving derail is my cage.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

In the Old Testament, The earth is basically a flat disc, with a dome above it that keeps a giant ocean restrained, and stars are lights on that dome. rain is water seeping through it, and the great flood was god opening literal floodgates.

There are holes in the sky
Where the rain gets in
But they're ever so small
That's why the rain is thin.

- Spike Milligan

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

whiteyfats posted:

Europeans haven't had a monopoly on piss poor treatment of other humans, hth.

Fair enough, I was going for low hanging fruit. Everyone will leap at the chance to exploit and subjugate everyone else given the opportunity. Go humanity.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

If you find the dumb fat guy in the first clip to be too annoying just skip ahead to the 1:30 mark where the other clips start.

Or if you want to see him wear a suicide vest made of firecrackers all over that ample frame...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STqi4HTUUmg

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/sn1bXAa.gifv

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fantastic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love how the kid throwing it puts his hand up to his chin like he's observing a successful science experiment.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Great shot, kid, that was one in a million!

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Wasted

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4I6mMilmio

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The iPhone slow-mo video recording is a gift from god.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I love how the kid throwing it puts his hand up to his chin like he's observing a successful science experiment.

I've got about 6 seconds before mom gets here and wants to know why both of my siblings are on the floor crying. Think, man. Think.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

It's the JFK magic bullet!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

bows1 posted:

I love that the lady who does the splits mutters "that a hot tamale! "

i laughed at this clip and went to share the original with a friend who is also italian, but after watching the whole thing it's actually kind of sad. i don't know what she was thinking when she attempted it, but the conversation is basically "i hurt myself, i hurt myself" (mi sono fatta male) "you really hurt yourself?.. okay, well, uh.. let's finish there... can somebody come help" and by that point all the humour is long gone and you just feel bad for her. presumably this is true of 99% of these videos and i should stop reading this thread

in that same video, though, where some white guy is asking the black guys for something and they slam him against the wall, what is he saying? he's got gats? they have cats? what?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

in that same video, though, where some white guy is asking the black guys for something and they slam him against the wall, what is he saying? he's got gats? they have cats? what?

He's got gats (guns). It's from some dumb prank video with a guy trying to sell people guns "in the ghetto".

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Ahh ok, thank you

I'd love to read a study on the conditions that conspired to enable this sort of privilege. The particular combination of racism, ego, insecurity, and ignorance, is so weird for it to be occurring so consistently

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I love watching these people be assholes and get clocked by people who do not gently caress around.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

He's got gats (guns). It's from some dumb prank video with a guy trying to sell people guns "in the ghetto".

I like the one where a dumbass set up a Kool-Aid stand.

Also, gently caress him, 'cause Kool-Aid is delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

there wolf lmao posted:

I love watching these people be assholes and get clocked by people who do not gently caress around.

My absolute favorite thing in this thread, more so than premature celebration.