Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also I legit got stuck in a puddle outside of novigrad for 20 minutes.

I know, it's called Velen :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Eopia posted:

I'm sorry that you have the wrong opinion on Geralt's love life.
She is a damned delight.

Dr Cheeto posted:

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

This is what the jesters say on stage at the Chameleon, because whenever there's an actual Velenite in the audience, they can't throw rotten fruit, because that would be a feast for them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bicyclops posted:

Triss is made of cardboard and Yen is actually cool, though.

She's less cardboard if you play the first two games, but yeah, Yen is the clear choice after you go to Skellige. Particularly if you've read the books.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

redbackground posted:

I just finished up the quest with Triss and the outdoor costume ball at that mansion to the east of Novigrad. There is absolutely no way I am not picking Triss at the end of all this, however it plays out. Should Geralt kiss her after scooping her up from falling into the fountain while fireworks go off? HMM LET ME THINK.
You can actually kiss Triss there and that still doesn't count as choosing her or cheating on Yen so everybody should do that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I didn't because it just sort of felt like she was drunk and making a bad decision.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I didn't because I didn't want to kiss someone who took advantage of memory loss to steal their best friend's man.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Eopia posted:

I didn't because I didn't want to kiss someone who took advantage of memory loss to steal their best friend's man.

Wait, Triss and Yen are friends?

That makes this way more interesting lmao.

note: This is my first Witcher game.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

2house2fly posted:

Well, he's skipping Gwent, which would bring total playtime down to around 90 hours without the DLC.

Im at 100 hours and nearing the end of act 1 based on what people have said. Done a ton of contracts and side quests but my quest log is still full of stuff and skellige is a pathwork of ?s. Thought I was a lot closer to the end!

Then i started gwent last week and dropped everything to spend the last 8 or so hours running around playing everyone :negative:

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
The "no fall damage" mod is the best mod, by the way. Highly recommended.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Paul Zuvella posted:

That makes this way more interesting lmao.

note: This is my first Witcher game.

Yes, what you learn over the first 2 games as you reaver your memories is that while Triss did help geralt, she manipulated him in order to get with him. He remembered loving a sorceress, and she is all "I'm a sorceress..." Yen is understandably pissed since she and geralt are both near 100 years old and have decades of history.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Palpek posted:

You can actually kiss Triss there and that still doesn't count as choosing her or cheating on Yen so everybody should do that.

The Witcher 3: If the kiss doesn't count as cheating, everyone should do it

I didn't know Geralt's last name was Trump.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bicyclops posted:

I didn't because it just sort of felt like she was drunk and making a bad decision.

I've always thought that Triss was faking being drunk in that scene. She sobers up real quick afterwards, the whole falling into Geralt's arms thing seems too convenient, and it just seems like the sort of thing she would do. Plus she's really guilty about it even if you don't kiss her.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yes, what you learn over the first 2 games as you reaver your memories is that while Triss did help geralt, she manipulated him in order to get with him. He remembered loving a sorceress, and she is all "I'm a sorceress..." Yen is understandably pissed since she and geralt are both near 100 years old and have decades of history.

Holy gently caress, that certainly changes the way I look at Triss...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paul Zuvella posted:

Don't worry too much because Geralt and Yen had a VERY tumultuous relationship - breaking up and disappearing from each others' lives for years at a time before starting the cycle all over again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Drifter posted:

Don't worry too much because Geralt and Yen had a VERY tumultuous relationship - breaking up and disappearing from each others' lives for years at a time before starting the cycle all over again.

Speaking as a guy that was initially defending Triss but then thought back on it more, no, that's still not an excuse.

Triss makes a focused effort to cloud Geralt's memory and prevent him from actually recovering his memories of Yennefer. If you look back at W1 and 2, she actually makes a very cold and calculated plan to supplant Yen and steal Geralt to herself, which fits more with her actual character from the books. She's kinda terrible, and I think a large part of why people go easy on her is not only not knowing the history and what she did, but also the fact that the voice actress is basically miscast in 2 and 3... she wasn't as endearing in 1, and she's not meant to be. Shani is the young, endearing love interest in 1, but then they hosed that up and shifted the tone in 2 (though she's still super antsy about letting Geralt anywhere near a rose of remembrance).

I wonder if the Polish VA is better.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Its alluded to be the reason Geralt and her are separated at the start of W3, Geralt dumped her and she moved to Novigrad, just in time for the purges to start.

The W3 quests definitely give her a story of redemption though, and both romance story lines at least make sense. This thread leans toward Yen, as the devs do, but the Triss one still works just fine. Geralt changes his mind and decides on Triss anyway, given all the poo poo they went through in Witcher 1 and 2.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It's telling that neither romance option actually respects Geralt and they both often lie to him, manipulate him, tell him half truths/cloud the truth, and regularly invade his privacy and read his mind (though Triss does that less).

They also habitually shove him into danger as their personal blunt instrument, completely uncaring of his own safety. In Yen's case she at least justifies it as trusting in Geralt's ability and believing in him to get through it and live, but still.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Fuzz posted:

It's telling that neither romance option actually respects Geralt and they both often lie to him, manipulate him, tell him half truths/cloud the truth, and regularly invade his privacy and read his mind (though Triss does that less).

They also habitually shove him into danger as their personal blunt instrument, completely uncaring of his own safety. In Yen's case she at least justifies it as trusting in Geralt's ability and believing in him to get through it and live, but still.

that is the absolutely most negative way to look at it, yes.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Despite the manipulation it's pretty clear that by Witcher 2 that Triss's feelings are genuine.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that is the absolutely most negative way to look at it, yes.

And loving someone but failing to respect their basic rights doesn't just make it all excusable. Both relationships are extremely toxic. Geralt isn't a winner, either, since he literally has no self control, even in the books, and will gently caress any woman (literally any) that crosses his path and is willing, and will flirt with all the others.

All three of them are terrible people when it comes to relationships.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fuzz posted:

and will gently caress any woman (literally any) that crosses

This checks out with how I play The Witcher

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Despite the manipulation it's pretty clear that by Witcher 2 that Triss's feelings are genuine.

Oh well as long as her feelings are genuine I guess all the lies are ok. Hope her feelings don't change later!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What Triss did to Geralt is nothing compared to what Geralt did to geralt from making the last wish thing.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yen is literally just as bad, if not worse, lol

^^That too

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mzbundifund posted:

Oh well as long as her feelings are genuine I guess all the lies are ok. Hope her feelings don't change later!

I didn't say that nor do I believe it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Witcher's literally exist to take advantage of people who are suffering for their own financial gain so maybe Geralt kind of deserves it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Witcher's literally exist to take advantage of people who are suffering for their own financial gain so maybe Geralt kind of deserves it.

Uhhh, this is a Bad Take

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Uhhh, this is a Bad Take

I mean, what else are they doing? He is a super powered monster hunting sevant who literally refuses to help people who are literally dying without being payed.

Like I understand it is way, way more complicated than that, but my point is that Geralt is pretty lovely to people too sometimes.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Witcher equipment doesn't maintain itself peasants :colbert:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, what else are they doing? He is a super powered monster hunting sevant who literally refuses to help people who are literally dying without being payed.
I mean, I helped that dude in the middle of the griffon attack in the first few minutes of the game without receiving a cent.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

redbackground posted:

I mean, I helped that dude in the middle of the griffon attack in the first few minutes of the game without receiving a cent.

I did :evil:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lambert player spotted.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I wonder if there are people who pair Geralt and Renfri together.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

guns for tits posted:

I wonder if there are people who pair Geralt and Renfri together.

Duh, she wore cambric. She is a princess after all.
That was the funniest part of that story for me. She breaks into his room to bribe him to leave, threatens to kill him if he doesn't, ends up sleeping with him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

They don't get paid, they can't buy supplies. They can't buy supplies, they can't work.

Witchers are just exceptionally tough dudes, they don't have laser beam eyes or anything (aside from the regrettable case that was Zacharie of Vinhelm from the Viper School some 300 years prior, bad mixup with the mutagens, so many dead, no one really likes to talk about it)

Constantly LARPing
Aug 30, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Speaking as a guy that was initially defending Triss but then thought back on it more, no, that's still not an excuse.

Triss makes a focused effort to cloud Geralt's memory and prevent him from actually recovering his memories of Yennefer. If you look back at W1 and 2, she actually makes a very cold and calculated plan to supplant Yen and steal Geralt to herself, which fits more with her actual character from the books. She's kinda terrible, and I think a large part of why people go easy on her is not only not knowing the history and what she did, but also the fact that the voice actress is basically miscast in 2 and 3... she wasn't as endearing in 1, and she's not meant to be. Shani is the young, endearing love interest in 1, but then they hosed that up and shifted the tone in 2 (though she's still super antsy about letting Geralt anywhere near a rose of remembrance).

I wonder if the Polish VA is better.

Umm, you might need to replay the Witcher 2. After you remember your death, Geralt asks Triss to tell you everything about Yen and Ciri, and she does. Pretty much all of Geralt's memories up to his death are relayed by Triss. Later she tries to persuade you not to go after Letho, and instead suggests that she'd help you find Yen if she's still alive. That doesn't sound like someone who is plotting to steal Geralt from a friend who, up until that point in time, everyone assumed was dead anyway.

Honestly, I think most of the Triss is a master-villain meme is a result of the weirdness of the Witcher 1's relationship to the novels. The game is chock full of references, like Geralt literally using lines from the book, mentioning Codringer and Fenn, Alvin being a Ciri stand-in, etc.. At the same time, no one, not even Dandelion or Zoltan. mention anything about Yen or Ciri in spite of being there when they died. For all intents and purposes, it's like they never existed. So it ends up with people saying Triss concealed the past, when in reality it has more to do with a weird narrative decision by the designers that I still don't understand. A while back in the thread, I think Comte mentioned that it was possible that someone who worked on the first game just didn't like Yen, and that's why she's memory-holed, but I don't know if that's the real reason.

That's not to say that Triss doesn't use Geralt (she admits it at the end of the Witcher 2), or her being the Nice Guy pining away for the person she would be so much better for isn't a little weird, but I just don't think there's anything we see in the games that indicate she was maliciously hiding things from Geralt.

Team Yen, btw.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Duh, she wore cambric. She is a princess after all.
That was the funniest part of that story for me. She breaks into his room to bribe him to leave, threatens to kill him if he doesn't, ends up sleeping with him.

What about the part where the wizard starts obsessing over the cilia or whatever in her brain?

"She's a mutant, witcher. You have to kill her."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Look at it like this, Geralt doesn't seem too mad at her so why should you be?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Did you do that one quest where Geralt completely independently investigates some deaths and finds a monster, then after killing it he finds the village it was terrorising and demands that they pay him? lol

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

mods please change title tia