Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

seiferguy posted:

The infield is good, outfield is questionable. Cutch is alright, but not a good defender. Adam Jones is good but by no means elite. They haven't really announced their starting pitching besides a few guys, but Chris Archer, your starting ace, doesn't ring well. Apparently Kershaw wants to play, though. Also, notably absent are Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, and Kris Bryant.

It'll always be an issue with the WBC in that teams will refuse to let their best players participate. I mean, I get protecting your assets, but come on.

I would hope at least one of Trout, Bryant, or Stanton would play, and any of them would obviously round out the outfield just fine. The rotation is underwhelming but they really haven't announced anyone yet, like you said. Have to hold off judgement until they submit the final rosters (whenever that is, the WBC website is terrible)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
This whole #nooffseason thing that the MLB Twitter account is pushing is dumb as poo poo. Today is apparently "10 tweets of Trea Turner throwing medicine balls" day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Matheny believes in a faith based approach to base stealing. The players just need to believe they are fast.

Well they do wear red...

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Oh it wasn't off of a mound, it was off of a crow hop

Still!

Also he wasn't throwing a baseball.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

iospace posted:

Well they do wear red...

Well Hell, in that case I believe I'm the world's greatest baseball player and I should get paid as such.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Matheny believes in a faith based approach to base stealing. The players just need to believe they are fast.

Maybe they can hire someone to watch them on tv and pray for them when they run.

coronaball posted:

I would hope at least one of Trout, Bryant, or Stanton would play, and any of them would obviously round out the outfield just fine. The rotation is underwhelming but they really haven't announced anyone yet, like you said. Have to hold off judgement until they submit the final rosters (whenever that is, the WBC website is terrible)

Meanwhile, Korea has like a 40 man roster listed on Wikipedia.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

Oh it wasn't off of a mound, it was off of a crow hop

Still!
also an under-weight ball

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

less than five hours until the HoF reveal!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I swear to god

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bagwell looks like a lock to finally get in, years after he should have, so naturally he's not going to and I'm going to lose my loving mind

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Intruder posted:

Bagwell looks like a lock to finally get in, years after he should have, so naturally he's not going to and I'm going to lose my loving mind

This but Hoffman.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

also an under-weight ball

So pretty much it was like a less-impressive version of Aaron Hicks throw from LF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkYrT5arGVw

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I see a few guys who voted for steroid guys but not Bagwell and didn't use all ten votes, gently caress those guys

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

iospace posted:

This but Hoffman.

Hoffman doesn't look like a lock, he's sitting at 72.8% in the public ballots and it tends to go down after the private ballots are counted. Bagwell and Raines look to be the class this year

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Man, its looking like Pudge won't make it? The hell?

Pretty neat about Raines though, bout drat time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh I missed Pudge. He has a shot, but he's below 80% so who knows. It would take some really bad poo poo for Bagwell at 88.2 and Raines at 88.6 to not make it

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

One last update from the ballot tracker. Here's how things stand with an estimated 56% of the ballots in.

Raines 88.6%
Bagwell 88.2%
Rodriguez 79.3%
Hoffman 72.8%
Guerrero 72.0%
Martinez 65.9%
Bonds 64.2%
Clemens 63.4%

Raines and Bagwell are locks; Pudge, Hoffman and Vlad are too close to call. Unreleased ballots tend to skew towards old school writers; the PED guys and "advanced stats" cases (Edgar) usually do worse in the final vote, while old-school favorites like Hoffman with his SAVES do better.

Prediction: Raines, Bagwell, Pudge, Hoffman. Vlad just misses.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bewbies posted:

"I'll vote for him, but he's not first ballot" - BBWAA writers

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

"I'll vote for him, but he's not first ballot" - BBWAA writers

I expected less of this poo poo after the purge

Also I think Murray Chass's vote should be taken away

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

Pretty neat about Raines though, bout drat time.
Pudge is at 79% on public ballots so he'll be very close, hard to say how much his share will drop from private ballots. Piazza for example, only got about 5% fewer on private ballots than he did on public ballots. But Tim Raines got 15% less support on private ballots last year. Pudge will get in with anything less than a 10% drop in support on private ballots.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Hoffman doesn't look like a lock, he's sitting at 72.8% in the public ballots and it tends to go down after the private ballots are counted. Bagwell and Raines look to be the class this year

someone did an article about this and Hoffman is probably going to go up because SAEVZ

Meanwhile Wagner is struggling to stay on the ballot :sigh:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I literally don't understand how anyone who was cool with voting for steroid players leave Bagwell off despite not using all ten votes

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

Meanwhile Wagner is struggling to stay on the ballot :sigh:

Posada isn't even going to get a second year and that's bullshit.

I would love to see Moose jump up another 15% this year, though, since the odds of him actually getting in seem slim.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mussina is another guy I don't get....what exactly is the argument or whatever for not voting for that guy?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Gregor Blanco signed a minors deal with the DBacks. I think he has a chance to make that roster and I think he has some baseballing left in him.

Take care Gregor. We'll always have the catch.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

Mussina is another guy I don't get....what exactly is the argument or whatever for not voting for that guy?

He didn't get to certain arbitrary benchmarks and his numbers get called "Hall of Very Good" until you realize he played in the AL East during the highest offense period ever(?)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Intruder posted:

Here's my question, why won't they vote for him? He's 2nd all time for saves, first to break 600, but is it the lack of a ring that's making it hard for him?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Gregor Blanco signed a minors deal with the DBacks. I think he has a chance to make that roster and I think he has some baseballing left in him.

Take care Gregor. We'll always have the catch.

On the other hand, he probably took a year off my life. I don't know if I've ever been so horrified during a play in any sport.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/63106348/v36878067/ws2014-gm7-gordon-singles-takes-third-on-error

Something I never noticed before, Buster starts running out to hug Bumgarner because he thinks the ball's going to be caught.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

iospace posted:

Here's my question, why won't they vote for him? He's 2nd all time for saves, first to break 600, but is it the lack of a ring that's making it hard for him?

I think some voters are waiting till Mariano gets in as the first of the "closer era" before they start voting for Hoffman and seriously considering guys like Wagner.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mariano Rivera will be the first unanimous hall of fame getter-inner

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Paul Zuvella posted:

You say that but given how badly modern SP's have been squeezed out because the game no longer demands they go all nine every game, it wouldn't surprise me if some shithead voter leaves Mariano off the ballot because "relievers don't belong in the hall."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'll believe that one when I see it. If Griffey couldn't, I don't think anyone else has a chance to do so.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

I would love to see Moose jump up another 15% this year, though, since the odds of him actually getting in seem slim.

This is only Moose's, what, fourth year on the ballot? He's got plenty of time, since we're past that run of a couple of years where the ballots were just incredibly stacked. Notable adds coming up:

This year: Thome, Rolen, Chipper, Andruw Jones and then a whole bunch of guys who are borderline at best
Next year: Rivera, Pettite and some borderline cases in Helton and Halladay
Year after: Jeter, Abreu, Giambi

And guys like McGriff, Walker and Edgar are going to be falling off soon without a huge voting boost.

Paul Zuvella posted:

There are still assholes who return blank ballots as a Pete Rose protest, and guys who think that if Ruth didn't get 100 percent, no one should. And if neither Seaver nor Maddux got 100, there's no way Rivera gets it. Jeter would be more likely because YEAH JEETS.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

iospace posted:

1st ballot
He's a reliever
There were relievers who didn't finish games who were better than him

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

This is only Moose's, what, fourth year on the ballot? He's got plenty of time, since we're past that run of a couple of years where the ballots were just incredibly stacked. Notable adds coming up:

This year: Thome, Rolen, Chipper, Andruw Jones and then a whole bunch of guys who are borderline at best

And guys like McGriff, Walker and Edgar are going to be falling off soon without a huge voting boost.

Oh yeah, I don't doubt he'll get in now, just a matter of time. I just liked seeing his voting percentage pretty much double after The Purge, and would like to see another big jump just to ease my mind.

Paul Zuvella posted:

:lol:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Timby posted:

There are still assholes who return blank ballots as a Pete Rose protest, and guys who think that if Ruth didn't get 100 percent, no one should. And if neither Seaver nor Maddux got 100, there's no way Rivera gets it. Jeter would be more likely because YEAH JEETS.

Jester may get up there, I'd think Albert would have a shot at 100% in a just world, but the blank ballot assholes will deny me that.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Inspector_666 posted:

He didn't get to certain arbitrary benchmarks and his numbers get called "Hall of Very Good" until you realize he played in the AL East during the highest offense period ever(?)

He's jack Morris but with the argument which holds water

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pancakes posted:

Jester may get up there, I'd think Albert would have a shot at 100% in a just world, but the blank ballot assholes will deny me that.

Albert's probably first-ballot, but he's not going to be near 100%, people are going to remember his good-to-average (and maybe worse) seasons in LA more than his elite ones in St Louis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hoffman is probably not getting in this year but I could see him making it next time.

There is going to be a major glut soon of players if they keep only electing 1-2 at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

He's jack Morris but with the argument which holds water

There's also this, which should have guaranteed him 100%:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhOdDBCfKV8

• Locked thread