Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Ainsley McTree posted:

What are we even paying them for??

National Endowment for the Arts is big into tagging these days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ainsley McTree posted:

All of the false flag shootings that liberals stage in order to push through unconstitutional and illegal gun laws. :tinfoil:

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thug Training and Baggy-Pants Drooping Seminars.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Joshmo posted:

Also are we footing the bill for gangs? That actually does seem like something to look in to.

Have you heard of a little thing called "Fast and Furious?" Obama supports gangs all day long.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Mr. Belding posted:

Yup. Someone who thinks psychosomatic means "fake" is broken in ways that will prevent them from ever solving their problems.

Well that's most of the US, though, due to the stigmatization of mental health issues. I grew up in a family with a seriously bipolar mother. I can't even get my two sisters to understand that our mother had a mental health problem, and we were all very negatively impacted by it in a direct way. I had trouble even convincing my father, a pharmacist, that her mental health issues may have contributed to issues that caused their divorce.

This is despite the fact that she had been diagnosed with and given medication for bipolar during a few periods of her life, and most famously when I was growing up was always complaining, "The doctor's just keep saying it's in my head!!!!"

People understand "I broke my leg. I need a cast. It will heal." That's a very physical thing, and so it's easy to understand. On the other hand, people generally also understand the much more invisible case of, "I caught this thing and the doctor gave me antibiotics."

Public education and outreach have not given people a positive framework to think about mental illness, and so they just operate based on stereotypes and superstitions. I feel like if we, as a society, were able to convince people that germs are real and exist then if there was a concerted effort we could also probably move forward in getting the majority of society to accept mental health problems as real/valid medical conditions.

Horrifyingly, the refusal to accept mental health conditions as real may have actually been one of the root causes of the fibromyalgia movement. In a society where mental health issues make you a leper, a diagnosis that points somewhere else other than brain is probably extremely comforting and it's no wonder sufferers would seek it out.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 18, 2017

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
My mother is bipolar as well. But get this what causes a mental illness? Some combination of brain chemistry, genetics, physiology, and lived experience.

What causes a character flaw? The same.

The two are identical and the realization that we should treat one gently and attempt to rehabilitate them leads to the inevitable realization that we should treat assholes and narcissists gently and attempt to rehabilitate them as well. Not a comfortable or easy conclusion.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Does anyone happen to know the context, source or anything else on this clip of Martin Luther King, Jr? longer video perhaps showing what is discussed before and after? All I can find is Glenn Beck website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEWz8de4daM

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Made by someone who didn't know that pretty much every phone made in the last 15 years has an alarm clock function.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speeding tickets and shooting unarmed black people, mostly.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

VideoTapir posted:

Made by someone drat loving moron who drank the righting kool-aid by the gallon.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

"God, my prostate's the size of a grapefruit and tonight was WAY too much coke, I need more Americans to see stuff like 'Check out sex tape!' live as I tweet it at 03:44."

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

BJA posted:

Does anyone happen to know the context, source or anything else on this clip of Martin Luther King, Jr? longer video perhaps showing what is discussed before and after? All I can find is Glenn Beck website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEWz8de4daM

here's some context

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Duke Igthorn posted:

England bought up a shitload of Confederate bonds but couldn't do much more because of the whole "slavery" thing (there was a "slavery" thing going on at the time that was unpopular in England but somewhat popular in the southern United States). Decades later England came back to try to cash in the money and America, collectively, laughed themselves sick. I have a sheet up on my wall.

That was hilarious.

Also hilarious was the reaction of Union diplomats during the war who were baffled that they could tell English bond buyers the US would never honor rebel bonds only to have the English merchants blow them off and buy the bonds anyway because "even if the Confederates lose surely the US Government will pay us no matter what happens".

FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD: buzzfeedlondon.uk.rus "Lincoln announces holders of Confederate bonds will be repaid in full with interest to celebrate the Union victory"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I'm not a history buff/expert, but going from Extra Credits spinoff Extra History the South Sea Bubble, England's not good at finance.

Also people/humans in general aren't good at the money.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mr. Belding posted:

But get this what causes a mental illness? Some combination of brain chemistry, genetics, physiology, and lived experience.

The two are identical and the realization that we should treat one gently and attempt to rehabilitate them leads to the inevitable realization that we should treat assholes and narcissists gently and attempt to rehabilitate them as well. Not a comfortable or easy conclusion.

Not entirely accurate: treating a narcissist gently and cooperatively leads directly to them manipulating you, which is obviously not good for you but which also isn't good for them at least in terms of trying to get them to understand and mitigate their own behavior. In not just this particular case but in all possible cases it's understanding and awareness which are important, not tenderness and accommodation. There are going to be times when you need to be a dick to a narcissist, or lock a psychopath up, and there are situations where it's appropriate to require someone to overcome depression or some other illness of whatever type in order to accomplish something. Naturally, though, when you're dealing with more or less regular people (which will be the majority of the time) understanding and awareness may lead you to be more tender or accommodating.

Of course, speaking as an American, our culture makes it a point of pride to be way bigger assholes to each other both on the mass and individual levels than we really need to be, in a lot of ways, so the backlash against ongoing attempts to try and moderate it most easily takes the form of making the point that you just made and then asserting that it is the only and inevitable conclusion of being more understanding about others. It's certainly a possibility, and it's a trap that I personally find pretty easy to fall into, but the fact that something is difficult to get right doesn't seem to me like a really good reason to instead be a default rear end in a top hat.

Oh, yeah, also :siren:mental illnesses aren't character flaws, in any way shape or form. Behaviors which are considered character flaws sometimes appear to deepen into behaviors which can be considered symptoms of a mental illness, and at that point whether the flaw was evidence of an always-likely illness taking shape over a long term or the illness is a learned behavior as a result of reinforcing the flaw might as well be a philosophical point because we're unable to directly examine the underlying mechanics of most mental or behavioral things. The salient point becomes, at the point when an individual exhibits symptoms consistent with a mental illness, you should basically consider them down with a behavioral flu, or possibly with a cast on one of the lobes of their brain. They can and should still be expected to cope with the demands of everyday life, but they should also be expected to have much more difficulty with aspects of things involved in this than, say, someone who is mentally healthy but is under a lot of stress (this latter example being comparable in this tortured analogy to someone who's fatigued from working all day).

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Belding posted:

My mother is bipolar as well. But get this what causes a mental illness? Some combination of brain chemistry, genetics, physiology, and lived experience.

Hnm. I'm a little skeptical that we can treat 'being an rear end in a top hat' with prescription meds. And saying mental illness is identical to a character flaw isn't exactly going to help the perception of mental illness in this (or any) country, since most people tend to treat it that way at best already. We could, however, make a few starts in things like not instantly conflating things like spree killing or mass shootings with mental illness, not constantly portraying mentally ill people in movies and television as super scary and dangerous (and, of course, inexplicable, because naturally we can just never understand someone who is mentally ill, they do crazy things because CRAZY, duh), or providing them as inhuman monsters to mow down in video games. We could try having an actual national conversation about mental health that isn't directly tied to violence at all, that would be nice (unless we actually talked about the size of the suicide epidemic we have going on, but I have about as much hope of that ever happening as I do of pigs flying).

Of course, instead, we're just getting rid of a lot of people's healthcare, because medical insurance companies weren't making enough money.

I'm not saying people with character flaws wouldn't benefit from counseling (they would), or that some underlying cause might not be the root of what's written off as 'being an rear end in a top hat' and would therefore be treatable with medication or some other form of therapy, but I strenuously disagree they're the same, and I don't think conflating the two is helpful for either group.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It doesn't help that the entire field has been rife with political abuse since its inception, from drapetomania to sluggish schizophrenia to the mass institutionalization of young women who 'acted out', which makes many groups of people inherently suspicious of the whole system.

Even today there are some illnesses that might be better treated by changing the society rather than the individual, but we're even worse at that.

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
Bringin it back around to politics: Comments in response to a holocaust survivor's impression of the Syrian Refugee crisis and the surge in nationalist politics in the west. I'm orange, and was making a comment about how many of the other commenters were complaining about the interview being decidedly anti-Trump (it wasn't specifically anti-Trump, but if anti-nazi rhetoric winds up slamming you, maybe you should reexamine your poo poo?).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Vaishino posted:

Bringin it back around to politics: Comments in response to a holocaust survivor's impression of the Syrian Refugee crisis and the surge in nationalist politics in the west. I'm orange, and was making a comment about how many of the other commenters were complaining about the interview being decidedly anti-Trump (it wasn't specifically anti-Trump, but if anti-nazi rhetoric winds up slamming you, maybe you should reexamine your poo poo?).

Blue even provides two great examples of mental health demonization back to back, so it comes full circle :eng101:

I find this level of aggressive ignorance breathtaking every time I see it. What? But I know X isn't a group full of evil baby-eating, job-stealing terrorist rapists that will use up our welfare! Unlike Y, who are most definitely all of those things for sure. People couldn't possibly have thought that/how could they be so stupid? And the two thoughts pass like trains in the night on parallel tracks, never to meet.

Edit: It's especially great when an actual Holocaust survivor is making this comparison, and they still feel like they know better.

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 18, 2017

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Guavanaut posted:

Even today there are some illnesses that might be better treated by changing the society rather than the individual, but we're even worse at that.

Lots of fields have their roots in quackery. I mean barbers used to cut people open and poo poo. Lobotomy existed as a treatment long before we even knew anything for sure about the brain.

I agree that the fundamentals of mental health (requiring negative life consequences that may actually be caused by other people being assholes) often lead it to be problematic, but with what we're continuing to learn about the brain I think we can get to a place where real science is happening.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sure, I'm not coming at this from a "psychiatry is still 100% pseudoscience :lron:" position, but a "you can understand why a black guy, for example, might be reluctant to engage with one, and steps should be taken to address this."

Although it is harder to do objective science in an ethical manner in psychology than in many other spheres, but that's a whole other :can:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

On a much smaller scale, The Atlanta Daily World, the city's black newspaper, backed Kennedy in 1960.

Black Atlanta citizens voted for Nixon by a slight majority.

Things changed quite a bit by 1964.

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds

kartikeya posted:

Blue even provides two great examples of mental health demonization back to back, so it comes full circle :eng101:

I find this level of aggressive ignorance breathtaking every time I see it. What? But I know X isn't a group full of evil baby-eating, job-stealing terrorist rapists that will use up our welfare! Unlike Y, who are most definitely all of those things for sure. People couldn't possibly have thought that/how could they be so stupid? And the two thoughts pass like trains in the night on parallel tracks, never to meet.

Edit: It's especially great when an actual Holocaust survivor is making this comparison, and they still feel like they know better.

I just love that they've apparently bought the "Most of the refugees are men who could be fighting at home" line. Like, even if that were true, if the Russians were carpet bombing Atlanta I guarantee you everyone would be trying to get out, not just the women and children.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Trans

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there any evidence whatsoever to suggest that Manning's gender had anything to do with it? Like...how are they "proving" that Obama wouldn't have commuted her sentence if she was identifying as male?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jivjov posted:

Is there any evidence whatsoever to suggest that Manning's gender had anything to do with it? Like...how are they "proving" that Obama wouldn't have commuted her sentence if she was identifying as male?

If you are supporting those gays or transsexuals it is because you are one of them. (They lump all of these together, of course, under the mental tag 'sexual sin'.) Why would a normal person do that?

They can't conceive of supporting something that isn't the same as themselves, so they assume nobody else can either.

Therefore, since they have been calling Obama gay for ages...

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 18, 2017

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Man I wish someone told me I'd have privilege after I transitioned, would've made things easier. Do I just present my trans card to the judge, or...?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jivjov posted:

Manning came out as transgender to her commanding officers while still in the military (she was refused help or a discharge) and came out publicly immediately upon being charged. She's been trying to go by Chelsea forever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

chitoryu12 posted:

Manning came out as transgender to her commanding officers while still in the military (she was refused help or a discharge) and came out publicly immediately upon being charged. She's been trying to go by Chelsea forever.

I'm aware of the circumstances; I'm just questioning what fake-rear end logic was behind the image TinTower shared. Whoever made that seems to be under the impression that Manning, had she not transitioned, would not have had her sentence commuted.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

T-man posted:

Man I wish someone told me I'd have privilege after I transitioned, would've made things easier. Do I just present my trans card to the judge, or...?

You can just commit any crime you want now and you won't be punished

It's the piece of the puzzle that the sov cits have been missing, the rubes

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Prism posted:

If you are supporting those gays or transsexuals it is because you are one of them. (They lump all of these together, of course, under the mental tag 'sexual sin'.) Why would a normal person do that?

They can't conceive of supporting something that isn't the same as themselves, so they assume nobody else can either.

They don't even seem to support themselves (since who would support someone close to you going to jail for 36 years?), because apparently making a case that the government (that you're constantly telling us you hate) is actually kind of incompetent in foreign policy means you still deserve 36 years in jail. If the government says you're bad it obviously must be true so you should be punished for your entire life. Alternatively, instead of saying, see, treating people as human weakens the government's power over regular citizens, what they really want is to treat everyone terribly (and have the government do the same).

Yes, I know they'll say otherwise, that they're the good ones, etc., but invariably as soon as the government comes down on them, they cry, "Repression!"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Vaishino posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irgun_attacks#During_the_Arab_revolt_.281937.E2.80.9339.29

Welp, guess the US shouldn't have accepted any Jews then.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm pretty sure that the Manning picture is a joke.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MasterSlowPoke posted:

If the internet has taught me anything that'll be shared unironically in approximately -12 hours.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken, then. I have no doubt that some people will manage to demarcate it as some sort of kid-glove handling of Manning "after she decided to claim to be a girl" which led to a hude reduction in her sentence - rather than, you know, her sentence being like 2000-3000% longer than anyone else who's ever been convicted of similar crimes in history.. In fact a lot of leakers and people who got tried under this same crap, were actually pardoned before they spent time in lockup, or within just a couple months they were pardoned or let out for good behavior/community service/etc.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

coyo7e posted:

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken, then. I have no doubt that some people will manage to demarcate it as some sort of kid-glove handling of Manning "after she decided to claim to be a girl" which led to a hude reduction in her sentence - rather than, you know, her sentence being like 2000-3000% longer than anyone else who's ever been convicted of similar crimes in history.. In fact a lot of leakers and people who got tried under this same crap, were actually pardoned before they spent time in lockup, or within just a couple months they were pardoned or let out for good behavior/community service/etc.

I think the joke is that it's pretending to be under a delusion that those are two different people who committed similar crimes. I don't think it really is honestly claiming that she got any special treatment after transitioning.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think the joke is that it's pretending to be under a delusion that those are two different people who committed similar crimes. I don't think it really is honestly claiming that she got any special treatment after transitioning.

I dunno...I've seen some people saying as much. And stating that Snowden hasn't been pardoned solely because he's a straight white male and Obama hates those.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

coyo7e posted:

[...]rather than, you know, her sentence being like 2000-3000% longer than anyone else who's ever been convicted of similar crimes in history.. In fact a lot of leakers and people who got tried under this same crap, were actually pardoned before they spent time in lockup, or within just a couple months they were pardoned or let out for good behavior/community service/etc.

On the other hand, knowing what we know now about Wikileaks and its cozy relationship with Russian intelligence, what Manning did was less "leaking" and more "handing classified information to hostile foreign actors".

Really, I'd say the fact that she was a dumb kid manipulated by a semi-famous sociopath and not someone looking for money is probably what saved her from rotting for decades like Jonathan Pollard, not the fact that she transitioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LanceHunter posted:

On the other hand, knowing what we know now about Wikileaks and its cozy relationship with Russian intelligence, what Manning did was less "leaking" and more "handing classified information to hostile foreign actors".
What is this "cozy relationship" you're referring to? Were the sources of the "russian-hacked emails" actually from russia at the last point before they were shared to wikileaks? I highly doubt it and am prone to call BULLSHIT