Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If you lose but take a few gold medals your rank won't drop as much as it would if you lost and didn't take any golds, and your rank gain after a win with medals will be bigger than it would be without. If your performance is mechanically consistent then even the "wobble" of statistical noise will be muffled a tiny bit.

Of course, performance isn't a consistent thing since someone coming off their second loss in a row is going to be dealing with a bunch of emotions that someone coming off their first win, second win, or hell a fourth loss might be. That poo poo gets in the way of decision making and the more pissed you are about your loss streak the more desperate or more risk-averse you become. Instead of going with Soldier a third time you decide to slampick D.Va and try to brute-force your way into an ult, which you then want to use as soon as possible so you get real trigger-happy and go after the first thing that looks like an opportunity which means you overlook the fact that their Roadhog switched to Winston a minute ago and your nuke just gets noped by a big red dome.

Then you get real lovely about the Winston and switch to Reaper, which leaves your team down a tank since you've long since stopped participating in voice chat, and get wrecked by their Mei when you develop tunnel vision in trying to get revenge.

Then you become hanjo and dunk your SR by a grand in an evening and at that point you're FAUXTON and you just stick to mystery heroes mode because nothing matters there and it truly is just a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Is SR gain/loss definitely affected by performance? I thought it was all just based on the combined SR of your team vs the enemy team.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

Is SR gain/loss definitely affected by performance? I thought it was all just based on the combined SR of your team vs the enemy team.

If it is, it's by a barely noticeable amount. I personally don't think it is, it introduces way too much unnecessary complication when over time just W/L will have the same effect without having to make any obtuse assessments of performance.

KoB
May 1, 2009
There were all those stories of 6-mans getting fairly different ranks while doing placements but that probably had more to do with their hidden quick play SR.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the only reliable way to increase your SR is to immediately pick junkrat and make sure your voice lines also play over team chat

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i solo queued zenyatta from 1100 to 1900 last season but i can't loving do poo poo in season 3; did i conceivably get shittier?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

KoB posted:

There were all those stories of 6-mans getting fairly different ranks while doing placements but that probably had more to do with their hidden quick play SR.

Yeah if it were as simple as wins/losses while weighing against your team's average SR lots of people would place with the exact same rank.

When I placed I had 5 straight wins, started getting placed against plat/diamond players, and then lost a few and ended up like 6/4 or 7/3 which gave me an SR of 2300. A friend won 9 of 10 and ended up below me. It is possible that he did less in his games to help the team win than I did in my games, but that is really hard to quantify across characters. Also I didn't even have the game when season 2 was out so season 3 is my first taste of competitive, whereas he placed very close to where he finished season 2.

It makes sense to me that if I'm 2500, my team average is 2400 and the enemy team average is 2375 that I would gain a little bit if I won and lose alot if I lost because I was a higher ranked player on a higher ranked team to where I should win it. It might be even more complicated than that if it ties in your game performance to it. All I know is that losing 2 games and then winning 3 should be a net positive in your SR and the other night I had a string of games like that that ended with a lower SR than when I started, which is frustrating.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Good Dog posted:

Yeah if it were as simple as wins/losses while weighing against your team's average SR lots of people would place with the exact same rank.

When I placed I had 5 straight wins, started getting placed against plat/diamond players, and then lost a few and ended up like 6/4 or 7/3 which gave me an SR of 2300. A friend won 9 of 10 and ended up below me. It is possible that he did less in his games to help the team win than I did in my games, but that is really hard to quantify across characters. Also I didn't even have the game when season 2 was out so season 3 is my first taste of competitive, whereas he placed very close to where he finished season 2.

It makes sense to me that if I'm 2500, my team average is 2400 and the enemy team average is 2375 that I would gain a little bit if I won and lose alot if I lost because I was a higher ranked player on a higher ranked team to where I should win it. It might be even more complicated than that if it ties in your game performance to it. All I know is that losing 2 games and then winning 3 should be a net positive in your SR and the other night I had a string of games like that that ended with a lower SR than when I started, which is frustrating.

I think it's pretty natural to assume that the level 25 restriction on competitive is for the game to get a QP SR ranking on you before you do placements, and then it uses that SR as the starting point for your competitive SR. You can even see this in effect if you get a smurf account; by level 12 on my smurf all of my QP games were against low- to mid-Diamond players (I'm still only level 16 or something, so we'll see where I actually place).

Using your in-game performance would be a tremendous amount of work (how do you accurately measure performance?) for a gain that people would barely notice if at all, while introducing a ton of variables that could screw with your matchmaker. That's the type of thing any reasonable business manager wouldn't touch wtih a 10-ft stick.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Okay, but assuming you're playing at roughly your correct SR then there is really nothing to be done about that right? Keeping in mind that the matchmaker isn't trying to give you a perfect 50-50 w/l ratio, sometimes you're just gonna lose four games in a row.

I wonder how the variance would change with more or less players on a team.

If the system has retardedly huge variance then there could be a problem with it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dyz posted:

I wonder how the variance would change with more or less players on a team.

If the system has retardedly huge variance then there could be a problem with it.

I'd imagine it gets much more accurate the less players there are as the whole Elo rating system was originally invented to score chess players. The actual system Blizzard uses is probably very different at this point though.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

I'd imagine it gets much more accurate the less players there are as the whole Elo rating system was originally invented to score chess players. The actual system Blizzard uses is probably very different at this point though.

Exactly, I'm wondering what they do to match team SRs up, and how it creates the teams in the 1st place.

It would be really disappointing if it was a simple average or something like that.

On the other hand, I'm sure there is something in the calculation which matches players faster.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 18, 2017

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Jeza posted:

Even if you maintain a winning average overall, you can still stay in roughly the same place depending on how those wins and losses clump together. This kind of thing is more likely in an unpredictable environment, for example a particular SR area where there are statistically more griefers, smurfs, leavers, cheaters - anything that can step in from outside the regular matchmaking algorithm and mess your game up.
If you personally are not a shitter, griefer, or leaver, the enemy team is statistically more likely to have them than your team is - 6 player slots vs the other 5 on your team. ELO hell is a fictitious construct of the participation trophy generation. Given enough gameplay, variance will smooth out and you will land at an ELO true to your personal skill level.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lol calm down gramps I'm sure boomers would have QQ'd on the forums all the same. Also its Elo, although you may be talking about Electric Light Orchestra.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
:goonsay:

it's actually qq as in Alt + qq. QQ is a chat app.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Noooo

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I only caught the tail end of his explanation for why he was stopping, but iddqd pulled the plug on his 600-Grandmaster stream. From the sounds of it, because of reasons brought up here, that it was lovely to the people he was playing. :(

e: apparently it's because of a Reddit thread where people threw a shitfit about poor sportsmanship, lol

Papercut fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 18, 2017

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Gray Matter posted:

participation trophy generation

uh huh, sure

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Your daily reminder that Elo is a dude's name and not an acronym.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
We were so busy thinking about how matchmaking works we forgot to poo poo on milenials! we really dropped the ball here guys

hambeef
Aug 21, 2004

Gray Matter posted:

If you personally are not a shitter, griefer, or leaver, the enemy team is statistically more likely to have them than your team is - 6 player slots vs the other 5 on your team. ELO hell is a fictitious construct of the participation trophy generation. Given enough gameplay, variance will smooth out and you will land at an ELO true to your personal skill level.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Papercut posted:

I only caught the tail end of his explanation for why he was stopping, but iddqd pulled the plug on his 600-Grandmaster stream. From the sounds of it, because of reasons brought up here, that it was lovely to the people he was playing. :(

e: apparently it's because of a Reddit thread where people threw a shitfit about poor sportsmanship, lol

Read between the lines man. He found Elo hell and made a deal with the Elo devil. In exchange for keeping this dark secret he was granted eternal bliss (he gets to stop playing with sr 600 people)

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Sade posted:

Your daily reminder that Elo is a dude's name and not an acronym.

its short for carmelo anthony

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Elo is my dad and he still calls it ELO so suck it nerds.

He also doesn't care if you put periods between the letters of SCUBA or if you spell LIDAR with or without a lowercase I

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It's .gif not gif you assholes.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gray Matter posted:

participation trophy generation.

Do you mean the generation that received them, or the generation that demanded them for their kids?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

cant wait to find my Electric Light Orchestra rating

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

a medical mystery posted:

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Cicadalek posted:

We were so busy thinking about how matchmaking works we forgot to poo poo on milenials! we really dropped the ball here guys
You can boohoo about my dig at entitlement mentality all you like, but I notice nobody seems to have anything to say about the math. Which is factual.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Gray Matter posted:

You can cry about my dig at entitlement mentality all you like, but I notice nobody has anything to say about the math. Which is factual.

Probably because you can't read and are smugly concluding what has already been said and agreed upon?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I don't even disagree that Elo Hell is probably biullshit, I'm just amused that your apparent disgust with young people is manifesting even in posts about video game matchmaking

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

You can boohoo about my dig at entitlement mentality all you like, but I notice nobody seems to have anything to say about the math. Which is factual.
Weirdly enough, members of the participation trophy generation have been saying the same thing you have, but better, for a lot longer than you have. Did you just decide you needed to participate so you could get a pat on the back, or did you think you were just so special that you didn't need to read anyone else's contributions?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Efexeye posted:

i solo queued zenyatta from 1100 to 1900 last season but i can't loving do poo poo in season 3; did i conceivably get shittier?

Zenyatta struggles more in Season 3 meta. The prevalence of Roadhogs hooking Zen's broad floatly hitbox, and Ana's grenade mostly completely neutering his ult being the two big ones.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 18, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Willie Tomg posted:

Zenyatta struggles more in Season 3 meta. The prevalence of Roadhogs hooking Zen's broad floatly hitbox, and Ana's grenade mostly completely neutering his ult being the two big ones.

Though some people have started using Zen more specifically to slap discord on all the tanks, even pro teams have been subbing Ana out more and more to go Lucio/Zen. Yeah, he's got his drawbacks in the prevalent ecosystem but he's still good, you just have to be more watchful for the stuff that drubs him.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Any tips or tricks to practice aiming with projectile characters like Pharah and Zenyatta? I feel like my two options are "be far enough away that people can just dodge your poo poo" or "be in melee range and shoot it directly into their rear end".

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I can't decide if life is better as a solo healer as Lucio or Ana.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

With the projectile heroes like Zen and pharah you need to lead your shots so that you're firing not at where they are, but where they're going to be

It's difficult and takes a lot of practice and I do not have any tips on learning it except practice, practice, practice

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Rick posted:

I can't decide if life is better as a solo healer as Lucio or Ana.
That's likely dependent on SR. At higher ranks, solo healing with Lucio is a lost cause, since the enemy team will simply burst down specific targets at rates that Lucio's trickling heal can't deal with.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The less time Lucio spends using healing aura the better.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Ersatz posted:

That's likely dependent on SR. At higher ranks, solo healing with Lucio is a lost cause, since the enemy team will simply burst down specific targets at rates that Lucio's trickling heal can't deal with.
And even if you're fortunate with amp's timing, healing your tank(s) from near death will still take half a minute, give or take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

a medical mystery posted:

10538?! And yet here I am, dreaming of 4000...