Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Beastie posted:

I will complain about the story in Uncharted 4 because it's boring. I wasn't really a fan. I'm just about done with it but I've already started UC1 and I like it better.

I've never played a Yakuza game. I'd like to. What's the best option for me? Buy the new one? Is there a cheaper but still dope one on PSN?

If you have a PS3 you're spoiled for choice. If not you're out of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Well, I guess I'll just watch some LP's.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

rabidsquid posted:

https://twitter.com/LennyReviews/status/821224344089149440

these two posts are really great together after you watch this short clip

I've never played a Yakuza game before.

Now I'm preordering this thing, thanks.

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beastie posted:

I will complain about the story in Uncharted 4 because it's boring. I wasn't really a fan. I'm just about done with it but I've already started UC1 and I like it better.

Car accident? Dropped on floor as a small child? Inbreeding? Glue sniffing? Schizophrenia? Must be at least 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yakuza 0 is goddamn fantastic with the caveat that you need a high tolerance for goofy-rear end humor and the ability to accept the game's incredibly blunt and up-forward argument that the cabaret clubs are squeak-clean places where everyone is there 100% willingly and nobody is being exploited or taken advantage of in any way, shape or form. (The latter mostly because you better prepared for a lot of cabaret club if you want to max out your moneys and if you get weirded out by it that might be a knock against it.)

But seriously Y0 = very good.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

KrayG posted:

Car accident? Dropped on floor as a small child? Inbreeding? Glue sniffing? Schizophrenia? Must be at least 3.

Some people prefer entertaining fast-paced adventures that don't overstay their welcome. UC1 and the first Tomb Raider reboot are in that category. Rise has worse pacing than TB and the story could be a more violent episode of the Relic Hunter for how cliche it is, but all of these three games are more entertaining than UC4.

Granted, the highs of UC4 are very high, but the story is just boring, the treasure hunt / mystery is a wet fart, and the playable flashbacks are maddeningly long with no payoff. And the unending climbing parts almost broke me. Were it not for the fantastic cutscenes, the car parts, Elena, and the epilogue, it would have been the worst in the main series.

tldr: Uncharted 4 needed an editor with a big pair of scissors.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 18, 2017

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Renoistic posted:

Some people prefer entertaining fast-paced adventures that don't overstay their welcome. UC1 and the first Tomb Raider reboot are in that category. Rise has worse pacing than TB and the story could be a more violent episode of the Relic Hunter for how cliche it is, but all of these three games are more entertaining than UC4.

Granted, the highs of UC4 are very high, but the story is just boring, the treasure hunt / mystery is a wet fart, and the playable flashbacks are maddeningly long with no payoff. And the unending climbing parts almost broke me. Were it not for the fantastic cutscenes, the car parts, Elena, and the epilogue, it would have been the worst in the main series.

tldr: Uncharted 4 needed an editor with a big pair of scissors.

Wow, it's really became a thing in the past 6 months to hate on Uncharted 4 a lot hasn't it. I mean I'm fine with that, I hate a lot of boring games like Yakuza and Persona but to claim Uncharted 1 is better than 4? That's not an opinion, that's a sign you should get a check up at the doctors for the massive amounts of brain damage you must be suffering from.

I mean I like all the games you mention but UC1 is straight up janky, unrefined, skitterish, it looks and play exactly like a launch ps3 game, it's beyond absurd to claim Uncharted 4 is worse. And don't take me for some kind of super-fan, I started UC4 in the summer and didnt' get round to finishing it till before Christmas but it is head, shoulders and hair above every single other game on the ps4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's worse than 4 in every mechanical and technical way but you can't deny that UC4 takes a long time to get started and stays so strongly focused on its characters that it could alienate anyone who doesn't know them well already. Playing 4 first is probably a mistake.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I find the recent wave of UC4 hate weird as well. I think it's phenomenal through and through. Definitely a post TLOU uncharted though.

I suppose it does rely on your attachment to the characters quite a bit though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it has not in fact become a thing to hate on uncharted 4, everyone likes uncharted 4, all the uncharted games are good, play them in order, even and especially uncharted 1. thanks

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Super No Vacancy posted:

it has not in fact become a thing to hate on uncharted 4, everyone likes uncharted 4, all the uncharted games are good, play them in order, even and especially uncharted 1. thanks

But then again if you are short on time and arn't feeling it feel free to skip over Uncharted 1 because it's a pretty bland game to play in 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

KrayG posted:

Wow, it's really became a thing in the past 6 months to hate on Uncharted 4 a lot hasn't it. I mean I'm fine with that, I hate a lot of boring games like Yakuza and Persona but to claim Uncharted 1 is better than 4? That's not an opinion, that's a sign you should get a check up at the doctors for the massive amounts of brain damage you must be suffering from.

I mean I like all the games you mention but UC1 is straight up janky, unrefined, skitterish, it looks and play exactly like a launch ps3 game, it's beyond absurd to claim Uncharted 4 is better. And don't take me for some kind of super-fan, I started UC4 in the summer and didnt' get round to finishing it till before Christmas but it is head, shoulders and hair above every single other game on the ps4.

Would it make you feel better if I told you I enjoy UC1 more than 4?

Pacing is very high on my list of important properties of a game. Poor pacing can heavily lessen my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent game. Which is why I tend to prefer games that might not reach the same highs as another, but is enjoyable throughout. Which is why I prefer Witcher 2 to 3, UC1/2 to 4, Max Payne 2 to 3, TR to Rise. And so on.

I loved Last of Us btw. The pacing is slow but never bad, and the story captivated me all the way to the end. I never gave a poo poo about Sam in UC4 and all the boring flashbacks in the world couldn't fix that.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 18, 2017

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think every part of uncharted 4 is good actually. the flashbacks own

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I watched my brother play UC1 when it came out and it was cool. I maybe watched him play 3 hours of it total.

UC4 was my first "real" experience with the series and it was a slog. Yes, it has insane set pieces, gorgeous characters, animations, and environments. But the amount of bullshit was too much. I suppose it was partially my fault for not being too invested in the characters but they just beat you over the head with their story line that I just was never wowed.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, but it wasn't what I was led to believe. I wanted an insane Indiana Jones adventure and I get saddled with tons of interactive cut scenes at his apartment, or on a boat, or on another boat, and a flashback.

UC1 starts with a tutorial gunfight and goes straight in to a great treasure hunt. UC4 wants you to stay with it for about 3 hours before it even picks up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UC4 was fun but it wouldn't even be in my top 5 PS4 exclusives. It's not a bad game by any means but it isn't the must-have game for the PS4 to me.

Edit: That said, my top 5 PS4 exclusives in no specific order would be:

Yakuza 0
Until Dawn
Rachet & Clank
The Last Guardian
Bloodborne

so it isn't like a terrible list to not be on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 18, 2017

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Uncharted 4 is the perfect 8 out of ten game for absolutely anyone and if you disagree you are actively forcing yourself to hate it for some twisted reason.

Which is fine, I'm not here to tell people what to play but c'mon, be serious.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
UC4 picks up in last fifth of the game when you've reached the final area. Might just be that Drake was paired with a character I enjoyed though. The parts with Elena gave me serious UC1 flashbacks which might have been intentionall.

If I hadn't beaten the earlier games I would probably have given up during the auction chapter. I'm DONE with danger-less climbing in games and 4 just had so much of it!

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

KrayG posted:

Uncharted 4 is the perfect 8 out of ten game for absolutely anyone and if you disagree you are actively forcing yourself to hate it for some twisted reason.

Do you work at naughty dog?

I find the recomandations to play uncharted 1 first weird. "You want to play this good game huh? Actually, I highly recommend you go play something worse."

Anyway, figured id give this yakuza series a go. Whens the new one coming out?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

I find the recomandations to play uncharted 1 first weird. "You want to play this good game huh? Actually, I highly recommend you go play something worse."

Next week

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

uncharted 1 is good actually

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm not sure what you mean by that but I'll throw my heart into the ring and say as much as I loved Uncharted 4, my favourite Naughty Dog game was Crash Bandicoot 3 and forever will be.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Half the reason to play the UC series is the characters. Why would you not play the first game first if you had the opportunity? Elena and Nathan have great rapport. And it's not a bad game in any shape or form.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Next week

I thought it was soon, but didn't see anything on the store, which is where i usually check if there is anything interesting coming out soon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Next Tuesday

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Beastie posted:

UC1 starts with a tutorial gunfight and goes straight in to a great treasure hunt. UC4 wants you to stay with it for about 3 hours before it even picks up.

Technically UC4 starts with a gunfight during a boat chase on stormy seas.

I've beaten all the Uncharteds and like them a lot, but not enough to feel strongly about defending one over the other - I don't remember a ton of 1 anymore beyond the submarine and the hangar at the end, but 2 and 3 have a lot of memorable setpieces. 4 is in between, but I generally agree that I don't care enough about the characters to desire lengthy TLoU cutscenes about Drake and Elena and whatever. Would rather have 3's problem of lots of disjoined setpieces because they tended to be cool, for 4 I only immediately remember the Madagascar jeep sections.

All that aside, I played the MP for 2+3 to death and am currently doing so for 4, I consider them MP games at this point as much as SP games which I know is unusual.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Half the reason to play the UC series is the characters. Why would you not play the first game first if you had the opportunity? Elena and Nathan have great rapport. And it's not a bad game in any shape or form.

Most people point out how its noticably worse than the other ones.
But how would i know. I only played 3 and was completely baffled by these complex and deep characters and their intricate relationships with each other.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
UC1 isn't atrocious or anything but I wouldn't call it good. Maybe it was something exceptional at the start but time has turned it into another rote, repetitive third-person shooter with some exceptionally bad gameplay segments.

Also Chloe > Elena

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah see you shouldve played all of them, in order. its quite simple

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

But how would i know. I only played 3 and was completely baffled by these complex and deep characters and their intricate relationships with each other.

It's a fun game with fun characters :shrug:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
People keep talking about all these games that are coming out like RE7 and Yakuza 0 but I think I'm most excited for Tales of Berseria. I played the demo and while it was short it showed me a ton of things I want in my RPG, including the FFIX-esque skill learning system that I can already tell will be driving me to use outdated equipment long after the recommended level just so I can permanently deal 2% more damage to flying enemies or w/e.

It sounds like the RE7 demo has updated quite a bit since it was released. If I wanted to play though it again and get the thing that can be carried over into the full game, is it easy enough to figure out how to do it on my own or there a short list of instructions I can follow somewhere?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Here's the guide I used to get the thing that transfers over for RE7: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=821597177

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

MGSV lets you run around in a mech strapping animals to balloons to make fat $$ while "she blinded me with science" blares from Snake's cassette player. what more could you want?

A game with a story that isn't hot turds?

A game with a fast travel system that isn't hot turds?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

a game that Konami didn't ruin with microtransactions?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

There wasn't enough Sully in it, Sam was a loser who was just kind of shady and flat, Elena beating the evil empire to finding Nate was silly.
A lot of the game was 'well I shouldn't do this' (going on an adventure with the shady brother and lying to elena) and occasionally someone shows up to tell you you're stupid for doing it. Sometimes with a mildly interactive cutscene.
If there was more Victor Sullivan in the game it would't be so divisive, imo.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Alris posted:

I just upgraded my hard drive and am going through the process of redownloading my games. Before I switched out the hard drive though I put all my old screenshots/captured video onto a USB stick. Is there any way to get it all back onto the new hard drive?

Is there an option for copy when viewing photos through the drive? I have not tried this so I cannot say it'll work, merely a suggestion.

I will say though that redownloading stuff went super easy for me by downloading everything through the webstore and setting up the system to download games/purchases when i rest mode. I just did everything over night and i was ready to go. Installing discs again was a bit more of a pain.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

A game with a story that isn't hot turds?

This is the Metal Gear series, if you're still on board with V this can't be too much of a concern.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Is there a site that lets me access my clips and pics?

Xbox has a site that's not Microsoft owned that allows you to type in a gamer tag, see vids and make gifs and such.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I had it on disc long ago on the PS4, then sold it at some point, and bought it on the PC to get better performance. Has the performance of the PS4 version improved at all in the last year or so?

I just played TLG, so I may be over emphasizing the performance, but it feels great. They released a big (3gig) patch a few weeks ago, and a lot of the inventory menus have changed (I assume not just in blood and wine) and it's definitely more responsive.

Loading times are still kind of long (1-2 minutes), but I'm having so much fun with the story, it's an easy price to pay. This is on an amateur PS4.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beastie posted:

Is there a site that lets me access my clips and pics?

Xbox has a site that's not Microsoft owned that allows you to type in a gamer tag, see vids and make gifs and such.

Nope. Console only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lakbay posted:

Here's the guide I used to get the thing that transfers over for RE7: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=821597177

holy poo poo this sounds involved what do you even get for this. i sort of want to go into the game blind but if its a Useful Thing i might break my plan