Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Lockback posted:

I always thought soft hands meant you can catch the ball well and get into a motion without bumbling with it. "Soft Touch" is usually when you talk about guys around the rim knowing how to use angles and the rim to score from the low post, rather than just toss the ball at the hoop.

Dwight, for example, has neither soft hands nor a soft touch.

"Shooting Touch" is for guys taking jump shots, and that to me usually means a consistent release, nice arc, and the right spin on the ball.

Yeah this. e. Sometimes Westbrook will laser a pass in too hard, the other guys will usually fumble it for a turnover. Kanter, rarely.

straight up brolic posted:

meanwhile, Chris Paul has both soft touch and a broken thumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Paul Zuvella posted:

I also like what Okafor offers, he has a lot of potential as a 20 minute off the bench type guy, being the focal point of the offense of a second unit.

He is the 2nd coming of Enes Kanter.

I agree with this. Okafor has some clear skills he's just an awful fit with the Sixers right now. Hopefully it doesn't end up tanking his value too much, because he can certainly be a useful player in the right situation. And he's had a pretty good attitude through out getting DNP-CDs recently so it seems like he could accept a bench role. The thing that hurts him compared to Kanter, as others have said before, is the rebounding though.

Depending on where they end up in the draft, I'd hope they use some combination of Okafor, our #1 pick, and the Lakers #1 pick in order to move up or land a vet. With Embiid, Simmons, Saric, and Noel (if they re-sign him) they already have a ton of young guys on the roster. At a certain point, they need to stop adding young guys since there is no way you can develop everyone properly and you want to put Embiid and Simmons in the best spot possible to keep growing. Thank god we have Colangelo in charge of making these decisions!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

straight up brolic posted:

meanwhile, Chris Paul has both soft touch and a hearty grip

Soft bones too

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I dont want to live in a world where highlight packages are narrated. This is nothing without bad hip-hop and air horns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Colangelo hasnt made a bad move yet so . . .here is hoping.

bad move with the sixers. Let me be clear lol.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Jota posted:

Thank god we have Colangelo in charge of making these decisions!

I mean, at least agents will return his calls

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Cool Buff Man posted:

He's way more than a one-way role player. He's one of the most unique players in the NBA right now so it's hard to really compare him to anyone, but he passes better than just about any big man I've seen in recent memory and he runs the offense better than any of their guards.
Hmm sounds like a poor man's Giannis

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jota posted:

I agree with this. Okafor has some clear skills he's just an awful fit with the Sixers right now. Hopefully it doesn't end up tanking his value too much, because he can certainly be a useful player in the right situation. And he's had a pretty good attitude through out getting DNP-CDs recently so it seems like he could accept a bench role. The thing that hurts him compared to Kanter, as others have said before, is the rebounding though.

Depending on where they end up in the draft, I'd hope they use some combination of Okafor, our #1 pick, and the Lakers #1 pick in order to move up or land a vet. With Embiid, Simmons, Saric, and Noel (if they re-sign him) they already have a ton of young guys on the roster. At a certain point, they need to stop adding young guys since there is no way you can develop everyone properly and you want to put Embiid and Simmons in the best spot possible to keep growing. Thank god we have Colangelo in charge of making these decisions!

Personally I would try to trade the lower of the picks + Okafor to move up or get a vet. The 76ers absolutely have to come out of this draft getting one of the three point guard prospects (Ball/Fultz/Smith) and either a vet wing or one of Monk/Jackson.

You can also definitely see them overpaying this offseason for someone like Iguodala/Gay/Hill/Reddick.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Its tough to tell but they may really be envisioning Simmons as a true PG. So I don't know what the gently caress honestly. Messages are mixed from Brown on that.

They obviously need one more super star prospect.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

euphronius posted:

Kanter is okafors most reasonable upside IMHO.
I think Okafor has a better upside than Kanter. At 20 years old he scored a pretty efficient 17.5ppg and he was able to create most of that offense by himself. Now, I would never want to build around a poor defensive center, so he's limited in the same way Kanter is, but there's just something slightly intriguing about him where even though he seems to make his team worse it's sad seeingf him buried on a bench. edit: drat seems im pretty late with this reply.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 18, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Its tough to tell but they may really be envisioning Simmons as a true PG. So I don't know what the gently caress honestly. Messages are mixed from Brown on that.

They obviously need one more super star prospect.

No one on the entire planet thinks that Simmons will be guarding point guard.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

No one on the entire planet thinks that Simmons will be guarding point guard.

except Brett brown.

Which makes the whole thing puzzling to say the least!!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Raptors 905 update.
My mom left early because it was Raptors middle school day and the refs were really bad and ruining the game. She said CJ Leslie is okay but the refs just sucked leading to both coaches getting T'd up. Apparently no one plays defense either. I told her to watch out for Jordan Crawford because he used to be in the NBA but she said he sucks.
I'll keep you guys posted next time she goes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Kawhi update.

He's still really really really really good. thank you Larry Bird.
https://twitter.com/nbastats/status/821760050872152065
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/821563519409606656

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ5K2ly0LPM

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

except Brett brown.

Which makes the whole thing puzzling to say the least!!

I can guarentee you that Brett Brown does not think 6 foot 10 Ben Simmons can guard point guards.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

I can guarentee you that Brett Brown does not think 6 foot 10 Ben Simmons can guard point guards.

BB said "point forward" last summer. He said "point guard" this winter. Then he said Simmons would guard 1s when they guard him. When he plays now in practice he is the point guard.

:iiam: We will see in a few weeks.

I agree with you . It seems strange. But all the signs from BB and from south jersey seem to be hes going to be a true point guard at least some of the time.

I baffles me as well, to be honest.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

BWV posted:

Raptors 905 update.
My mom left early because it was Raptors middle school day and the refs were really bad and ruining the game. She said CJ Leslie is okay but the refs just sucked leading to both coaches getting T'd up. Apparently no one plays defense either. I told her to watch out for Jordan Crawford because he used to be in the NBA but she said he sucks.
I'll keep you guys posted next time she goes.

Did Bruno play?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

dokmo posted:

Did Bruno play?

It wasn't that big of a blow out ...

Jk, he's with the A team right now stuck behind the completely inept Jakob Pöltl.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Lol kawhi just straight up shooting in wiggins face. Wiggins doesn't even move to try to defend in half of the shots.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That first play where Kawhi got a clean-up layup in the middle of 5 wolves is really bad, christ

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I know this discussion was from like a million pages ago but if the Wolves trade Rubio they're dead to me.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Somebody put modern rosters in the SNES version of NBA Jam TE. In addition to the adding 2017 NBA players, they hid the following Legends in the game: Olajuwon, Robinson, Malone, Stockton, Dominique, Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning, Pippen, John Starks, Reggie Miller, Muggsy, Brad Daugherty, Harold Miner, Eqing, Horace Grant, Mark Price, Nick Anderson, Larry Bird, Magic, Jordan, Barkley, Shaq, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Yao, Kobe, KG, Duncan, Scalabrine, Jimmer.

In addition to that they include the following hidden characters: Harambe, Trump, Hillary, Kanye West, Usain Bolt, Cam Newton, David Ortiz, and Craig Sager.

http://www.hogswithablog.com

edit: glancing at the rosters and whoever made this really likes handing out 8s and 9s for speed. It feels like half the starters super fast.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 18, 2017

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Tae posted:

That first play where Kawhi got a clean-up layup in the middle of 5 wolves is really bad, christ

Tom Thibodeau is going to have a heart attack on court this season

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Boredumb posted:

Tom Thibodeau is going to have a heart attack on court this season

Then his punishment in hell will be coaching this team for eternity.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

I'm really looking forward to everyone forgetting about this in the coming year

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Did zach give a good birthday present to thibs with d?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
well it's also the title of one of the best songs of 2016 so there's very little chance I'll ever forget

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Time posted:

Did zach give a good birthday present to thibs with d?

Might want to reword this, buddy.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Paul Zuvella posted:

Might want to reword this, buddy.

I meant what I said

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-rajon-rondo-coach-bulls-spt-0119-20170118-story.html

quote:

"I've been preparing to coach since I left Boston, really," Rondo said. "I study all of my coaches. I watch the way they move, the timeouts they call, plays they draw up out of timeouts, how they run practices, speeches they give. I'm trying to follow it all. I see how players gravitate toward different coaches.

"I actually went back (to Louisville) a couple (of) days ago and saw my high school coach (Doug Bibby). He's one of the best: his delivery, how he encourages players, the confidence he gives them, his attention to detail in timeouts. I'm taking my notes on a lot of different stuff."

While Rondo believes he could coach successfully on any level, he has watched peers such as Jason Kidd transition quickly from a playing to coaching career and wants to follow suit. Coaching in the NBA is his sole focus.

"That's the plan. Hopefully I can transition right into it after playing instead of having to sit out or going a different route," Rondo said. "I know it's not an easy job. But I respect that this is the highest level of being a coach. If I needed to go an assistant route, I'd do it. But I don't know if it would need that."

Fire Hoiberg hire Rondo imo. I want nothing more than to see the GM Coach relationship dynamic of GarPax and Rondo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dexo posted:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-rajon-rondo-coach-bulls-spt-0119-20170118-story.html

Fire Hoiberg hire Rondo imo. I want nothing more than to see the GM Coach relationship dynamic of GarPax and Rondo

When he is fired you could get a miniseries on showtime.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
coaching requires self awareness rondo doesn't have

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

attackmole posted:

coaching requires self awareness rondo doesn't have

Wait, what? Are we talking the same profession that Coach K has? Are we talking the same profession that Tom Thibodeau currently partakes in? Jason Kidd? Doc Rivers?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dexo posted:

Wait, what? Are we talking the same profession that Coach K has? Are we talking the same profession that Tom Thibodeau currently partakes in? Jason Kidd? Doc Rivers?

'You couldn’t name three people on the Sacramento Kings, and I led the league in assists' Rajon Rondo
That is not something a person who wants to be a coach in a few years should say. How many players from that Kings team are better than Rondo this year? Cousins, Gay, Seth Curry, Darren Collison, and maybe Ty Lawson. Am I missing anyone WhyteRyce?

lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Spacebump posted:

'You couldn’t name three people on the Sacramento Kings, and I led the league in assists' Rajon Rondo
That is not something a person who wants to be a coach in a few years should say. How many players from that Kings team are better than Rondo this year? Cousins, Gay, Seth Curry, Darren Collison, and maybe Ty Lawson. Am I missing anyone WhyteRyce?

lol

to be fair most basketball fans couldn't have named anyone on the Kings besides Rondo, Cousins and Gay.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Was Marco bellineli on it last year and jimmer?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Chairchucker posted:

I know this discussion was from like a million pages ago but if the Wolves trade Rubio they're dead to me.

The idea of trading a 26 year old Rubio so you can give more minutes to 23 year old Dunn is giving me a feeling of total disorientation. It is simply incompatible with my weltanschauung as it were.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Who would ever forget Omri Casspi?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i asked for more jokic and boy did I get it!!

anyway, looking forward to some more sick point-center action in another meaningless Nuggets season where they'd be better off with a lottery pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
id just trade every asset necessary to secure a top 3 pick from Cleveland this draft I guess

• Locked thread