Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't remember ME2 not having the ability to roll and I miss it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ainsley McTree posted:

The first time you encounter a banshee is supposed to be a big deal iirc, I'd be surprised if they slipped one in to the prologue sequence.
It was pretty spooky. You're in that Asari Ardat-Yakshi monastery and can hear them screaming before you finally come face to face with one. They weren't in the MP beta and I mainlined the campaign at launch and it was a real :stonk: moment.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SubponticatePoster posted:

It was pretty spooky. You're in that Asari Ardat-Yakshi monastery and can hear them screaming before you finally come face to face with one. They weren't in the MP beta and I mainlined the campaign at launch and it was a real :stonk: moment.

I did some parts of Leviathan before this mission, and it was kind of funny to have my teammates shocked and wondering what Banshees were. Hey! We already killed a couple of them! It''s not a surprise.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SubponticatePoster posted:

Their lovingly detailed vaginas are the scariest part of them.

...or the scariest part of Bioware, I'm not really sure.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I didn't look close enough to notice and I'm happy with myself about that

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

I did some parts of Leviathan before this mission, and it was kind of funny to have my teammates shocked and wondering what Banshees were. Hey! We already killed a couple of them! It''s not a surprise.

This is why I'm weird and obsessive about only playing DLC when it would make narrative sense.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Veotax posted:

This is why I'm weird and obsessive about only playing DLC when it would make narrative sense.

Don't be hard on yourself, that's probably one of the least weird and obsessive behaviors that a gamer could exhibit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot how boring Firewalker and endless scanning is too.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

RBA Starblade posted:

I forgot how boring Firewalker and endless scanning is too.

I just used gibbeds save editor to give myself a ton of each resource and then found a list of all the planets with anomalies and only scanned them. Saved me a lot of time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phrosphor posted:

I just used gibbeds save editor to give myself a ton of each resource and then found a list of all the planets with anomalies and only scanned them. Saved me a lot of time.

Yeah I should probably just look it up, I've got 100k+ of everything but element zero now. Just don't have the patience any more. :v:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I should probably just look it up, I've got 100k+ of everything but element zero now. Just don't have the patience any more. :v:

Planet scanning is abominable and there's no reason to do it if you don't want to; like the guy above you said, you can just edit your save to give yourself as much resource as you want. You can even do it on consoles, there's just an extra hoop or two to jump through.

They learned their lesson and didn't include anything like it in 3, but I'm crossing my fingers that they haven't forgotten said lesson and added a material hellgrind back in for andromeda. If they did I'll just cheat again you can't stop me

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

...but I'm crossing my fingers that they haven't forgotten said lesson and added a material hellgrind back in for andromeda. If they did I'll just cheat again you can't stop me

It's in one of the first videos we see. You bet it's gonna involve combing over every godamn map and having to press the scan button. We can only hope it doesn't lock you in place like DAI Flower Picking.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's in one of the first videos we see. You bet it's gonna involve combing over every godamn map and having to press the scan button. We can only hope it doesn't lock you in place like DAI Flower Picking.

I know gathering is in the game, I'm just hoping they remember how much everyone hated planet scanning in ME2 and figured out a way to make it fun.

I'm probably going to cheat

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ainsley McTree posted:

They learned their lesson and didn't include anything like it in 3, but I'm crossing my fingers that they haven't forgotten said lesson and added a material hellgrind back in for andromeda. If they did I'll just cheat again you can't stop me

Detection and then Multiplayer account ban for game modification.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Then I'll make my own multiplayer!!

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Appreciate seeing other people hating on the crafting in DA:I and crafting in general. I had no patience for resource gathering in DA:I and cheated the hell out of it using CheatEngine, though I felt vaguely bad about it, like I was ruining the game for myself. It's nicer to say that it's a lovely gameplay mechanic that I shouldn't have to bother with because I just want to get back to owing dudes with my cool abilities (and the banging).

Fully expect it to suck in ME:A.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I used the dupe glitch to make tens of thousands of materials so I would never have to grind but didn't have to use cheat engine.

But then I used cheat engine to get the crafting schematics that I could never get to drop but I wanted anyway because I liked making outfits.

I guess what I'm saying is I like crafting, but would rather I didn't have to grind materials. I can mostly stand it the first playthrough when I'm taking everything slow and trying the experience as intended, but after that I won't if I can help it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I used CE to wear my armor whenever I wanted which I am loving baffled they didn't just let you do from the get go

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Some scans of the UK PC Gamer article on Andromeda.

It is exactly what we'd already read and heard before. I guess we can kind of see the outside of a Vault in one of the small shots?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That Eurythmics poo poo is so loving lame. It was dumb in the 80s. It's worse now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

marshmallow creep posted:

It is exactly what we'd already read and heard before. I guess we can kind of see the outside of a Vault in one of the small shots?

Two months out and we saw all of this stuff months and months ago. There is no new information here and certainly no "major changes" being revealed.

But I guess someone said earlier that this is normal for Bioware so it's fine. It's not, of course - go back and look at any previous Bioware release - but, hey.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Two months out and we saw all of this stuff months and months ago. There is no new information here and certainly no "major changes" being revealed.

But I guess someone said earlier that this is normal for Bioware so it's fine. It's not, of course - go back and look at any previous Bioware release - but, hey.

Who cares unless this is still the case right before the game actually comes out? I'm not sure why anyone tries to read the marketing tea leaves after Doom.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, it's not normal for Bioware. But it is the new normal for EA imitating Bethesda. For example, going by some tweets Mike Laidlaw made, we probably won't hear a peep about the existence of the next Dragon Age until 6 months before release. Not that I agree with it, but that's the way it is now I guess? Fortunately, the EA/Origin Access will hopefully keep from imposing release date review embargoes like Bethesda.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Milky Moor posted:

I may be mis-remembering this, but didn't DA2 have a really lackluster marketed release? Also, how far back are you looking here? I don't remember a huge campaign for NWN for example, but I was fairly young then.

Not that I'm excusing this, I think this game will be bad, and I think it's because Bioware doesn't actually exist as it was anymore

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

marshmallow creep posted:

drat. this is starting to worry me now. like there has barely any info apart from 2 trailers and 1 min game play. i assume they will ramp up in February.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

JawKnee posted:

I may be mis-remembering this, but didn't DA2 have a really lackluster marketed release? Also, how far back are you looking here? I don't remember a huge campaign for NWN for example, but I was fairly young then.

I think it starts with EA-Bioware and not prior to that. The Violence trailer ("the new poo poo") for Dragon Age: Origins was the beginning for big marketing for Bioware titles. And even though DA2 was bad, it had pretty extensive trailers and marketing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Yeah, it's not normal for Bioware. But it is the new normal for EA imitating Bethesda. For example, going by some tweets Mike Laidlaw made, we probably won't hear a peep about the existence of the next Dragon Age until 6 months before release. Not that I agree with it, but that's the way it is now I guess? Fortunately, the EA/Origin Access will hopefully keep from imposing release date review embargoes like Bethesda.

Why don't you agree with it? It doesn't take more than like, two weeks to root through advertising and decide if you want to preorder (never preorder), and then two to five days after release to decide if you should get it based on initial reviews. I think it's great to not be inundated with ten seconds of crap every day (lol but here I am on the forums lolololol).

It is kinda fun sometimes to see the ads, but it's not like we don't know what the game will be like. We just don't know if it'll be good or not, and we wouldn't know that even if we had ads a year out.

I actually kinda like this direction because it keeps the hype from getting No-Man's-Sky out of hand. It's kind of nice there's not a shitton of hype.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Who the gently caress cares about the advertising.

I'm glad I know so little about the game. I'll let the people who get it early give their impressions or wait to buy it.

Why do consumers give a flying gently caress about a games advertising and marketing rollout...

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

because the advertising commitment can vary depending on the publisher's faith in the game, or the amount of content in the game that advertises well. think critically

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

JawKnee posted:

Not that I'm excusing this, I think this game will be bad, and I think it's because Bioware doesn't actually exist as it was anymore

sorta. there was a ton of "fight for the lost" poo poo and detailed poo poo about alot of the crew. and it had one of my favorite trailers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2O-0-fQOOs

Super No Vacancy posted:

because the advertising commitment can vary depending on the publisher's faith in the game, or the amount of content in the game that advertises well. think critically

thats why i am worried. mass effect is pretty good series apart from some nitpicks and the last 10 min of 3. it seems like bioware has been burning through employees lately at least writers. which isnt bad because some of them are kinda crap. though i like weeks. it seems you hear more about drama from bioware then their actual products. like the only thing i know about the Andromeda game play is its game play designer acts like an edgy tosser on twitter and that it kinda looks like a mesh of 1 and 3.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Drifter posted:

I actually kinda like this direction because it keeps the hype from getting No-Man's-Sky out of hand. It's kind of nice there's not a shitton of hype.

I agree with this, hype-trains and raising the expectation of the consumer with over-promising is a bad thing. But, to answer your question, I don't like it because a business (of any kind, not just gaming) should be transparent about what their product is without a third-party (reviewer) having to come in and say "okay so this what this actually is". Basically, "buyer beware" is a lovely mode of operation and we should all expect better.

Super No Vacancy posted:

This is also probably why people care, but again, Bethesda is now telling us this is an old way of thinking. And other publishers are agreeing with them. So, only time will tell how consumers adjust.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

literally all I've seen without seeking anything out is like 6 minutes of boring jetpack jumping from the ps4 pro reveal lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the last 10 min of 3.

Uh. Perhaps you need to replay the series again. ME3 is pretty bad from start to finish. It's a great game, other than the ending, on its own. But as a finale it is incredibly flawed over and over again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Uh. Perhaps you need to replay the series again. ME3 is pretty bad from start to finish. It's a great game, other than the ending, on its own. But as a finale it is incredibly flawed over and over again.

true.

Super No Vacancy posted:

literally all I've seen without seeking anything out is like 6 minutes of boring jetpack jumping from the ps4 pro reveal lol

this. its nothing but some shooting, some detective vision and jet pack.

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

I agree with this, hype-trains and raising the expectation of the consumer with over-promising is a bad thing. But, to answer your question, I don't like it because a business (of any kind, not just gaming) should be transparent about what their product is without a third-party (reviewer) having to come in and say "okay so this what this actually is". Basically, "buyer beware" is a lovely mode of operation and we should all expect better.

This is also probably why people care, but again, Bethesda is now telling us this is an old way of thinking. And other publishers are agreeing with them. So, only time will tell how consumers adjust.

agree but after the cluster gently caress of 3 and inquestion being meh. i am apprehensive still. also bethesda has also shown that they can publish a gently caress ton of winners(despite there buggy issues with their own games).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Super No Vacancy posted:

Haha. I've seen that boring vid, too. Also I saw the scene of scanning for materials. :rolleyes:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
The hand wringing is hilarious. Whatever the game is, you won't know before someone outside EA/BioWare gets their hands on it and is allowed to talk about it.

That article says the writer likes the changes to combat, but I doubt he had enough time to really evaluate it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorta. there was a ton of "fight for the lost" poo poo and detailed poo poo about alot of the crew. and it had one of my favorite trailers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2O-0-fQOOs

This is actually the best trailer to use as a comparison. Compare it to the ME3 launch trailer. The ME2 trailer feels far more confident with Heart of Courage being a perfect track. EA's attempt to recapture that magic with Protectors of the Earth didn't work nearly as well, much less a lot of the footage they used. Overall, the ME2 trailer feels like it has much more coherent sequencing (focus on Shepard, his companions and the antagonist) and is confident of that than ME3 (lets include random shots of C-Sec grunts and random Reaper mooks falling over) which has a lot more bombast and spectacle. Can't quite compare it to Andromeda yet as both of these came out, IIRC, the week of their respective releases but the point is still there to think about.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
That trailer was uploaded 6 days before release, was it available earlier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIG2dWLHaYU
That seems to be 1 month before release.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hamburger Test posted:

That trailer was uploaded 6 days before release, was it available earlier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIG2dWLHaYU
That seems to be 1 month before release.

Man that trailer is hilarious looking back. I'm pretty sure literally none of those cutscenes except a bit of the Thane one are in ME2. And the weird pre-rendered combat scene is real janky.

Back in the weird pre-release times where Legion was Shepard's stalker, Grunt wasn't a test-tube baby and Jack was Subject Zero all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Honestly, it felt like we knew more about Fallout 4 at this point in the development cycle.

Just watched the Fallout 4 E3 trailer, and it showed a lot of stuff in action. You knew you could throw down with the Brotherhood of Steel, you saw how power armor worked, got a lot of gunplay, there was extensive footage of the settlement building and crafting systems, including explanations of how everything worked, you got the opening, and it all wrapped up with a montage of carnage to cheery 50s music, which pretty much is Bethesda era Fallout.

Basically, even if they didn't show the plot past the opening, you got an idea what you were getting (accounting for standard marketing BS).

Andromeda, on the other hand, still feels like a pig in a poke.

At best, this is EA not getting why the marketing for Fallout 4 worked. And "they're not showing anything because it would look bad" is definitely a possibility.