Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Hungry Computer posted:

A ticket came in...
Holy smokes [user] it's worse than I thought, you're actually using Windows 2000!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's up with users storing their passwords in a contact in Outlook? 2nd user in as many days has accidentally deleted it. And this one isn't showing up in Recover Deleted Items either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It happened finally, our support team took a call from someone who was using their trash to store messages they needed to keep.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Do any of you support CUCM? Our marketing wants to create new on hold commercials and Cisco demands the wav file be in the following format:

8Mhz, 16 bit, mono/ulaw

Any free software that can convert to this?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thanks Ants posted:

It happened finally, our support team took a call from someone who was using their trash to store messages they needed to keep.

Ours had us turn off the automatic emptying of the trash. Storing emails he legally must keep in another place was unthinkable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Do any of you support CUCM? Our marketing wants to create new on hold commercials and Cisco demands the wav file be in the following format:

8Mhz, 16 bit, mono/ulaw

it's gonna be 8KHz, not MHz, but you can use audacity if you need a gui, and ffmpeg if you want command-line batch processing.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Wilford Cutlery posted:

What's up with users storing their passwords in a contact in Outlook? 2nd user in as many days has accidentally deleted it. And this one isn't showing up in Recover Deleted Items either.

...this is a thing? :wtf:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

8Mhz, 16 bit, mono/ulaw

I use Audacity to create/edit all the files I use on CUCM, Unity, etc.

This article deals with ringtones, but the MOH is the same format. http://www.netcraftsmen.com/uc-toolkit-using-audacity-for-cucm-ring-tones/

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

GreenNight posted:

8Mhz, 16 bit, mono/ulaw

When we need to make wav's for anything CUCM or Contact Center related, we just leave a voicemail in someone's Unity inbox and that's the correct file encoding. Maybe this is a way you can achieve your goal?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lynxifer posted:

When we need to make wav's for anything CUCM or Contact Center related, we just leave a voicemail in someone's Unity inbox and that's the correct file encoding. Maybe this is a way you can achieve your goal?

haha ghetto.

please use ffmpeg like a sane person.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

D34THROW posted:

I envy the fact that you've never seen this.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GreenNight posted:

8Mhz, 16 bit, mono/ulaw

Yes use ffmpeg. I've had too many files (IVR prompts) to convert so I made a bunch of batch files I can just drop any random audio files as I want on, and get the correct format out.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

If it's for an IVR (Auto Attendant CUCM calls it I think?) then there's supposed to be a way to get the call manager to dial out to a provisioned user (or to anyone, if you have PSTN breakout) and have it record the call, to use as the recording.

But just download Audacity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lynxifer posted:

That rules. I'll grab Audicity. Thanks alot.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Inspector_666 posted:

D34THROW posted:

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I envy the fact that you've never seen this.

I just learned about it this week, myself. :wtf: indeed

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

My old boss used Outlook contacts to store all information about clients. Various passwords contacts network details. All in a large PST he often used had to repair to get Outlook to launch.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

nielsm posted:

Yes use ffmpeg. I've had too many files (IVR prompts) to convert so I made a bunch of batch files I can just drop any random audio files as I want on, and get the correct format out.

Can you get ffmpeg to convert to alaw/ulaw directly? I've always used ffmpeg to convert it from whatever format it's supplied in, turn that into a wav, then run that wav through sox.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Varkk posted:

My old boss used Outlook contacts to store all information about clients. Various passwords contacts network details. All in a large PST he often used had to repair to get Outlook to launch.

Oh yeah, the PST is just implied.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mootallica posted:

Can you get ffmpeg to convert to alaw/ulaw directly?
If it's in ffmpeg -encoders, yes.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

anthonypants posted:

If it's in ffmpeg -encoders, yes.

Yes it does, and Asterisk can play it. Thanks!

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

KoRMaK posted:

Ughhh, stop assuming things!

Just say the problem. "My poo poo looks funny, here look!" loving X Y problem poo poo

Just in case anyone here hasn't seen this before. Read it, memorize it, internalize it. http://xyproblem.info/

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The flipside is people who have read that and take the hammer::nail mindset with it and, anytime someone has an issue, assume it's that kind of issue and throw bad solutions at them or argue about why they want to do what they want to do. Sometimes you just need to answer the question the person is asking without trying to outsmart them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

nielsm posted:

Haha, we did the same thing because not only do we need to convert so an IVR can play it, we need to convert it so the user can listen in their browser to the prompt they just added.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Javid posted:

The flipside is people who have read that and take the hammer::nail mindset with it and, anytime someone has an issue, assume it's that kind of issue and throw bad solutions at them or argue about why they want to do what they want to do. Sometimes you just need to answer the question the person is asking without trying to outsmart them.

Baffling. It's not about outsmarting anybody, it's about solving their computer-related problem, which is much easier to do when you know what the actual problem is. Yes, sometimes a user has the problem solved in the best way for all parties involved, but I feel confident suggesting that those times are extremely few and far between.

Also when a c-level tells you to just pull that lever because he read an article in Forbes, sure, go ahead and not get fired. But I think that's beside the point.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mootallica posted:

Can you get ffmpeg to convert to alaw/ulaw directly? I've always used ffmpeg to convert it from whatever format it's supplied in, turn that into a wav, then run that wav through sox.

Here's my batch file:

code:
@echo off
SET PATH=C:\ffmpeg\bin;%PATH%

:nextfile

set indir=%~dp1
set infn=%~n1
set infx=%~x1
set infile=%~1

set outdir=%indir%\outwav
mkdir "%outdir%"
set outfile=%outdir%\%infn%.wav

ffmpeg -i "%infile%" -acodec pcm_mulaw -ar 8000 -ac 1 "%outfile%"

shift
if exist %1 goto nextfile

pause

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Che Delilas posted:

Baffling. It's not about outsmarting anybody, it's about solving their computer-related problem, which is much easier to do when you know what the actual problem is. Yes, sometimes a user has the problem solved in the best way for all parties involved, but I feel confident suggesting that those times are extremely few and far between.

Also when a c-level tells you to just pull that lever because he read an article in Forbes, sure, go ahead and not get fired. But I think that's beside the point.

If it's stupid and destructive I'll shoot a CYA usually of I don't think this is applicable to our environment here's the risks, if you sign off on it though I'll do it. Ends up as a 50/50 if they will "think about it" some more or if they say they are sure and the risks sound acceptable. If it's stupid and only effects them who am I to tell them how they should have their work flow. You want Microsoft Bob installed? If you're paying for it!

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

D34THROW posted:

Best practice is for boring people, live dangerously my friend!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

nielsm posted:

Here's my batch file:

code:
@echo off
SET PATH=C:\ffmpeg\bin;%PATH%

:nextfile

set indir=%~dp1
set infn=%~n1
set infx=%~x1
set infile=%~1

set outdir=%indir%\outwav
mkdir "%outdir%"
set outfile=%outdir%\%infn%.wav

ffmpeg -i "%infile%" -acodec pcm_mulaw -ar 8000 -ac 1 "%outfile%"

shift
if exist %1 goto nextfile

pause

I just found out marketing has Adobe Audition so I told those assholes to convert the file themselves, which they did and it worked.

...the original request came from marketing, so yay I guess.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I'm more surprised that Marketing managed to use software without going "well we don't know how it works, you do it!"

Every time I suggest people read the documentation associated with the software required to do their job they wind up complaining that I'm being condescending/rude/whatever other word they want to substitute for "not getting their way and having someone else do their job for them".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah, I've been instructed to tell people that it's not IT's job to train them on the software to do their job. I didn't train engineers how to use AutoCAD and Solidworks, I'm not training marketing how to use Photoshop and Audition. I cc'ed my boss on that and they shut their drat mouths.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

People don't like using the help file they don't think to look for it, what does work amazing is taking that help document putting it on dead trees and leaving each department with a copy for each piece of software they use. I've had requests for additional "manuals" because 2 or 3 people always want to look something up at the same time.

I'm not sure if this is normal or my users are okay with self help they just hate computers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, I've been instructed to tell people that it's not IT's job to train them on the software to do their job. I didn't train engineers how to use AutoCAD and Solidworks, I'm not training marketing how to use Photoshop and Audition. I cc'ed my boss on that and they shut their drat mouths.

I know way too much about QuickBooks because of poo poo like this. One customer got really mad at me for being unable to show them how to use ProTools.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
I just found out that my personal voicemail notification is not set up properly, and I missed a potential interview for a job that previous colleagues had recommended me for, back in November. Called back today and the position is no longer available (of course.)

Is there a :eng99: version of :yotj: ?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
A floppy disk came in:

I have a USB 3.5" drive but it looks like windows can't read the disk. I'm probably going to take it home over the weekend, install linux on a thumbdrive, boot my PC to it, and try to see if I can read it and then image the disk.

What's the over/under that I go to all that trouble only to find out that the disk is wiped or lost it's magnetism?

:ninja: Edit:

Nevermind I just used winhex to peek at it and the disk is all 0's

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A floppy disk came in:

I have a USB 3.5" drive but it looks like windows can't read the disk. I'm probably going to take it home over the weekend, install linux on a thumbdrive, boot my PC to it, and try to see if I can read it and then image the disk.

What's the over/under that I go to all that trouble only to find out that the disk is wiped or lost it's magnetism?

Why.

Why to all of this.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A floppy disk came in:

The answer to your question depends on how critical someone else needs the information on this disk

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Inspector_666 posted:

Why.

Why to all of this.

in my situation: because there's data on there that might chance the fundamental views on how the universe works.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A floppy disk came in:

I'm not sure how your first reaction to someone saying there's critical information on a floppy disc isn't:
A: Laugh in their face.
B: Quote them the $1,000+ it would cost if you sent it to drivesavers or the like.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

pixaal posted:

People don't like using the help file they don't think to look for it, what does work amazing is taking that help document putting it on dead trees and leaving each department with a copy for each piece of software they use. I've had requests for additional "manuals" because 2 or 3 people always want to look something up at the same time.

I'm not sure if this is normal or my users are okay with self help they just hate computers.

Maybe having the huge stack of paper makes it more tangible how much information is actually readily available, rather than a search box that provides no clues to what may actually exist. Printed documentation also lends itself better to random browsing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Inspector_666 posted:

Why.

Why to all of this.

well... because I recently formatted the SSD that had my gentoo install on it (because gently caress gentoo that's why). I have no idea what format the disk was supposed to be but a linux install would at least be able to read pmuch whatever it was.
I'm not allowed to CYGWIN my desktop at work. I'm not allowed to install any not pre-approved or assessed software on my work desktop.
I forgot I had winhex on my tablet. that worked well at determining that there was no point in attempting to go any further.

The request isn't super critical, it's just some employee/volunteer handbook that they only have paper copies of. I figured I'd give it my best shot to save someone the hassle of typing up 60 pages, or figuring out how to get OCR to reproduce the text. The user isn't a total shitbrain and made the request like 2 weeks ago so I figure why not?

Also, what if there's data on there that might chance the fundamental views on how the universe works?

• Locked thread