Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

2house2fly posted:

Look at it like this, Geralt doesn't seem too mad at her so why should you be?

Did you do that one quest where Geralt completely independently investigates some deaths and finds a monster, then after killing it he finds the village it was terrorising and demands that they pay him? lol

Good point.

Also, yeah that owned. Geralt has chutzpah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Did you do that one quest where Geralt completely independently investigates some deaths and finds a monster, then after killing it he finds the village it was terrorising and demands that they pay him? lol

Which one was this? I found a Wyvren once just riding around picking flowers once and killed it and GEralt said something about there probably being a reward for it somewhere around there. Was that it?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I mean, can you blame him? What, is he supposed to not kill it, go look for a reward, and then track it down again?

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I think a lot of quests can be completed like this. The game is really good about letting you wander into some poo poo and sort it out yourself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wait, Geralt and Yen are over 100 years old? I thought he was like in his forties. :stare:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Geralt's nearly 100, according to Vesemir when they first arrive at the inn in White Orchard.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

Geralt's nearly 100, according to Vesemir when they first arrive at the inn in White Orchard.

Oh, I must have forgotten about that. Do witchers live really long because of the mutagens and sorceresses because of magic or is this one of those typical high fantasy things where everybody lives like 300 years?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, I must have forgotten about that. Do witchers live really long because of the mutagens and sorceresses because of magic or is this one of those typical high fantasy things where everybody lives like 300 years?

Both witchers and mages live much longer than normal people due to all the magical conditioning they get as children. Normal humans don't have especially long lifespans. I'm pretty sure dwarves and elves are longer-lived though?

Shani brings up the difference in lifespan when she talks to Geralt about why they won't work out.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 18, 2017

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah, basically. The Witcher changes slow aging way down, and I think mages uses magic.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

2house2fly posted:

Yeah this isn't 'one quest', a lot of contracts can be completed this way if you're way out there for whatever reason and you don't need to talk to an NPC to get a memory or whatever to find them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You can't haggle for more money if you kill the monster first, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Some elves are still old enough to remember their massacre at Shaerawedd centuries earlier. Also, elves don't have incisor teeth, according to the books.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 19, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Arcsquad12 posted:

Some elves are still old enough to remember their massacre at Shaerawedd centuries earlier. Also, elves don't have incisor teeth, according to the books.

They have a row of canines in front. That's why Scoia'tel in W1 and 2 had shark teeth, they weren't filing them down. I feel like in this game they have regular teeth but I want paying close attention.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Paperchase is quite possibly the best quest in any game ever. I'll be having nightmares about Permit A38 and Form 202 for a while now...

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Regarding the magic lamp quest with keira metz. When they reach the tomb geralt says 'if i didn't know where lara dorren was buried, i'd assume this was her grave.'

Then there's a note nearby that implies Avallach was trying to use the magic lantern to communicate with her ghost or whatever.

Does that mean poor avallach was trying to communicate with the wrong grave?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

finally beat blood and wine.

good game imo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

-=Hearts and Stone: a Bicyclops Story=-

So, I was going to just dive into the main quest of the DLC, but one of the secondary quests looked like it unlocked a new kind of merchant, so I did that. On the way to him, right next time him, was a yellow exclamation point, and of course, I never pass that up. So I talked to him, beat him in a horse race, then traveled the earth hitting up bandit camps looking for his stuff, hitting any POIs along the way I hadn't traveled. This led to a layered discovery of Treasure Hunts and side quests such that I have now found all of the Hearts of Stone points of interest, completed all but one of the treasure hunts and all but three of the sidequests, and accidentally stumbled upon the main quest on my way to the last point of interest, finally saying "Oh yeah, that was what I'd set off to do."

Now I'm level 35, but it doesn't feel a ton different from 30. At both, the things in the DLC definitely pose a threat and you have to pay attention, but as long as you are, in the long run, you're going to prevail. There was one Golem when I was about 31 and he was 37 or so that took loving forever to beat (I think I re-applied oil five times), but other than that, combat (at your level) feels like it's about knowing your enemy's patterns and taking advantage of them, which is both fun to engage with and thematically relevant to the actual game. That it feels like knowing what monster you're fighting and having studied and experienced that monster is the important part is what makes Geralt a seasoned veteran within the story.

Anyway, time to actually do the Hearts of Stone main quest (which will, I hope unlock the Treasure Hunt and Secondary Quests I still have to do), then finish the base game main quest.

Once I hit level 40, how hard would it be for me to tag into Toussant just to grab my Grandmaster Armor diagrams and then tag out? I'm super bummed that my Cat School gear isn't giving me my sneak attack bonuses on those bandits I'm leaping behind.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

-=Hearts and Stone: a Bicyclops Story=-

So, I was going to just dive into the main quest of the DLC, but one of the secondary quests looked like it unlocked a new kind of merchant, so I did that. On the way to him, right next time him, was a yellow exclamation point, and of course, I never pass that up. So I talked to him, beat him in a horse race, then traveled the earth hitting up bandit camps looking for his stuff, hitting any POIs along the way I hadn't traveled. This led to a layered discovery of Treasure Hunts and side quests such that I have now found all of the Hearts of Stone points of interest, completed all but one of the treasure hunts and all but three of the sidequests, and accidentally stumbled upon the main quest on my way to the last point of interest, finally saying "Oh yeah, that was what I'd set off to do."

Now I'm level 35, but it doesn't feel a ton different from 30. At both, the things in the DLC definitely pose a threat and you have to pay attention, but as long as you are, in the long run, you're going to prevail. There was one Golem when I was about 31 and he was 37 or so that took loving forever to beat (I think I re-applied oil five times), but other than that, combat (at your level) feels like it's about knowing your enemy's patterns and taking advantage of them, which is both fun to engage with and thematically relevant to the actual game. That it feels like knowing what monster you're fighting and having studied and experienced that monster is the important part is what makes Geralt a seasoned veteran within the story.

Anyway, time to actually do the Hearts of Stone main quest (which will, I hope unlock the Treasure Hunt and Secondary Quests I still have to do), then finish the base game main quest.

Once I hit level 40, how hard would it be for me to tag into Toussant just to grab my Grandmaster Armor diagrams and then tag out? I'm super bummed that my Cat School gear isn't giving me my sneak attack bonuses on those bandits I'm leaping behind.

Easy to get the diagrams, but they're extremely expensive to get. Talking 20-30k per set easily so the biggest barrier to grandmaster armour is money.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Eastdrom posted:

Regarding the magic lamp quest with keira metz. When they reach the tomb geralt says 'if i didn't know where lara dorren was buried, i'd assume this was her grave.'

Then there's a note nearby that implies Avallach was trying to use the magic lantern to communicate with her ghost or whatever.

Does that mean poor avallach was trying to communicate with the wrong grave?

Most likely Lara Dorren was never really buried where Geralt (and the rest of the world?) thought she was, or she was originally but Avallach robbed her grave and took her remains to his lab. Probably the latter.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Game big.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yes, what you learn over the first 2 games as you reaver your memories is that while Triss did help geralt, she manipulated him in order to get with him. He remembered loving a sorceress, and she is all "I'm a sorceress..." Yen is understandably pissed since she and geralt are both near 100 years old and have decades of history.

Decades of very bad history.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 19, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Octy posted:

Paperchase is quite possibly the best quest in any game ever. I'll be having nightmares about Permit A38 and Form 202 for a while now...

The whole thing's lifted from an old Asterix cartoon, too. Someone over there has to be a fan. :D

The Lone Badger posted:

Decades of very bad history.

Book / Yen quest spoiler Literally the result of a djinn putting them under a love spell anyway.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Which is neither here nor there depending on your choice in that quest.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Is there a way to tone the gold filter in Touissant down? It gets rather intense during the day!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Avalerion posted:

The whole thing's lifted from an old Asterix cartoon, too. Someone over there has to be a fan. :D

Book / Yen quest spoiler Literally the result of a djinn putting them under a love spell anyway.

It tied their fates together, it doesn't make a mention of loving each other. Weasel wording, perhaps.

Asterix is as popular as oxygen in Europe's mainland, so it's not surprising CDPR are fans.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It tied their fates together, it doesn't make a mention of loving each other. Weasel wording, perhaps.

Book, no. In game evens confirm that interpretation though, like my read of that quest is that the love spell was deffinitely there and gets broken, though Geralt could have come to genuinelly love Jen even without it... or not. If there wasn't a love spell at sll then the ending where he says he doesn't love her anymore suddenly doesn't work..

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Avalerion posted:

Book, no. In game evens confirm that interpretation though, like my read of that quest is that the love spell was deffinitely there and gets broken, though Geralt could have come to genuinelly love Jen even without it... or not. If there wasn't a love spell at sll then the ending where he says he doesn't love her anymore suddenly doesn't work..

e:woops never mind, misread this.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
holy poo poo, i finally finished the main story. what a great game. my in-game clock is 71.5 hours and I chose Yen. I hope to finish both DLCs in the next two months, before Mass Effect Andromeda comes out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Is there a way to tone the gold filter in Touissant down? It gets rather intense during the day!
Get https://reshade.me/ where you can set the colors however you wish with one of the filters.

You just choose The Witcher 3 folder where the executable is, install everything when asked. After launching the game wait for all the shaders to load and then press shift+f2 and look for shaders that have something to do with color. You can also turn on Luma Sharpen and Clarity while you're at it if you want the game too look more crisp and detailed.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I want to do a trilogy runthrough at some point this year. I keep reading people say you find out in 1 and 2 about Triss playing Geralt but I can't remember that coming across when I played those games. Are there specific moments where you find that out or do you have to read the codex?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Spikeguy posted:

I want to do a trilogy runthrough at some point this year. I keep reading people say you find out in 1 and 2 about Triss playing Geralt but I can't remember that coming across when I played those games. Are there specific moments where you find that out or do you have to read the codex?

Its a continuing thing of paying attention to what she says and does, and matching her info with the rest of the info you get.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

A lot of it was brought to light for the game players when the book readers kept on screaming "SHE'S TRICKING GERALT!!!" Up until W3 it's not so apparent if you're just playing the vidyagames.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brasseye posted:

Im at 100 hours and nearing the end of act 1 based on what people have said. Done a ton of contracts and side quests but my quest log is still full of stuff and skellige is a pathwork of ?s. Thought I was a lot closer to the end!

Still haven't left Velen either at ~110 hours, idk how some of these people are finishing the game in 70. Sooooo much to do, so many gwent players (northern deck ftw)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bef posted:

Still haven't left Velen either at ~110 hours, idk how some of these people are finishing the game in 70. Sooooo much to do, so many gwent players (northern deck ftw)

I stopped playing Gwent after the first couple of games. I just did not think it was fun in any way. That shaved several tens of hours off my playtime right there.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Add me to the group of people that think Gwent is kind of dumb. I honestly don't think it's an interesting game at all, and I like card games a bunch.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Newish to the game, have question/mild complaint. Do I eventually go back to killing monsters once I find Ciri or that one Dandelion dude? I'm in that huge city up north and I'm already quite tired of doing random gangster stuff for dickhead gang leaders. I had a TON of fun with the Bloody Baron quest line and the Three Crones thing was simultaneously disgusting and really cool.. I just wanna go back into the wilderness and keep exposing dens of ancient evil outside of villages. Yeah I know there's contracts, but those are seemingly pretty light on story and lore. I really want more of the three crones kinda stuff.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Novigrad claims another victim.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
The B plot in Skellige gets back in to that sort of thing a lot more, but nothing really reaches the Baron's questline again until the DLC.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

Add me to the group of people that think Gwent is kind of dumb. I honestly don't think it's an interesting game at all, and I like card games a bunch.
I played my first game of Gwent after a long break last night and yup, still no fun. Would much rather have spent the time Geralt-ing about.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's a fair few monsters in Skellige, my favourite side quest was about a Leshen terrorising a village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

2house2fly posted:

There's a fair few monsters in Skellige, my favourite side quest was about a Leshen terrorising a village.

That is one of the best in the game, i think leshens are my favorite of the monsters.