Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

They haven't been all that forward with what this actually means. I imagine they don't want to say which set this will all be fixed in because that might mean that could damage the sales of the sets that don't have this fix in. If they can't fix a set 1 year out they are loving incompetent assclowns.

I mean, this was the company responsible for Mindslaver not allowing you to put triggered abilities on the stack on modo for 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I think you still can't hold priority properly on an opponent's mindslavermrakuled turn?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

You won't see changes until a year/year and a half away at the least, the next couple sets are already decided.

They can change things until it hits printers. Arguably they can't (more like won't) change the design of the cards. But there is no reason they can't add already designed cards like reprints.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think what we've learned is that wotc doesn't know how to code the ability to play the game.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I think what we've learned is that wotc doesn't know how to code the ability to play the game.

I don't think I'll ever forget them saying that they had to change the code for each individual card with haste to interact with archetype of aggression and the same idea for the other archetypes and that's the reason Bonds of Mortality doesn't make it so opposing creatures always don't have hexproof and indestructible

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
With how hosed standard has been recently, I'm increasingly worried Amonkhet will be a shitshow. If they had development problems on a regular schedule, panic mode rebalancing of a whole format sounds like a disaster in the making. That, or we'll get the next New Phyrexia.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

anglachel posted:

They can change things until it hits printers. Arguably they can't (more like won't) change the design of the cards. But there is no reason they can't add already designed cards like reprints.

Given their track record when it comes to last-minute changes I can understand them not wanting to risk it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

anglachel posted:

When is that? I know I read something about the history of skullclamp where they knew it was completely busted well before it was released, but it was too late in the process to change it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

odiv posted:

I think you still can't hold priority properly on an opponent's mindslavermrakuled turn?

I've never been able to. It's lost me at least one game and could have lost me a few others if I'd gotten unlucky.

Count Bleck posted:

I mean, this was the company responsible for Mindslaver not allowing you to put triggered abilities on the stack on modo for 2 years.

...and only fixed it when Rich Shay complained about it on the VSL in front of a few thousand people.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

evilweasel posted:

When is that? I know I read something about the history of skullclamp where they knew it was completely busted well before it was released, but it was too late in the process to change it.

Presumably once they "finished" a set, they don't want to go back and finish it and playtest the new changes and how it effects the other cards. It's likely they couldn't change skullclamp because they already switched gears and were playtesting and designing well past Mirrodin and testing out Time Spiral or finishing up Ravnica. Both sets that probably required a poo poo ton of development. Switching gears and "going back" probably takes alot more resources than getting it right the first time. How much time is lost by that switching of gears i dont know. I would say probably a day, but this being wizards it's probably 2 weeks.

Adding in a reprint is a bit different though. The cards are known and what impact they make are known. I'm talking about standard core set cards. Not stuff like say adding Goblin Guide last minute to Battle for Zendikar or whatever.

anglachel fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 19, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean I don't think Goblin Guide could've saved red aggro from the festering pile of poo poo that was the Midrange Humpfest of KtK/BFZ or BFZ/SOI

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Veyrall posted:

If only Wizards had printed some kind of cheap, colorless card that turned off ETB effects. As it stands, we're likely to see yet another banning, because the only halfway decent answers are Authority of the Consuls and maybe the single Fog effect we have in standard.

I guess if the cat was 2 cmc, then push would also be a more viable option.

There are 3 fogs in standard. Commencement of Festivities, Repel the Abominable and Encircling Fissure.

There is a pretty cool like (maybe T2) Energy Fog deck that plays with Tower/Visions amd I've been able to beat this deck with pretty much 75-80% of the time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the way their pipeline works, Amonkhet is already pencils down. Hour of Devestation they can probably make minor changes to as long as they don't change the art of any cards and, if they change the name, keep the collector's number the same.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Didn't they have to make some emergency changes to amonkhet already since BFZ isn't rotating when they originally planned?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

Didn't they have to take ZEN Fetches out of amonkhet already since BFZ isn't rotating when they originally planned?

Fixed it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BizarroAzrael posted:

So I've been away from Standard, I know how Copycat is supposed to work but does the deck have any other characteristics? I guess it will be looking to set up the combo with open blue and a counter card in hand to prevent instant removal on either the Felidar or the 'walker? So it's not realistically winning before T6 or so right?

Mostly it drops Saheeli on a clear board and dares the opponent to do anything at all to develop their board position.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

+5 pts for Gryffindor. They took the fetches out (sus) when they went back to a longer rotation. Until Maro spills beans we will probably never know.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone want a job?

http://company.wizards.com/job/manager-play-design-job-renton-wa-us

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

That doesn't give me confidence right now. Also funny how small a group of people are qualified for that position considering its requirements. Feels like a position that can only be filled internally.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 18, 2017

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sickening posted:

That doesn't give me confidence right now. Also funny how small a group of people are qualified for that position considering its requirements. Feels like a position that can only be filled internally.

That advert is 100% a "We need to advertise this role for company standards reasons, but it's yours, we promise."

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mehall posted:

That advert is 100% a "We need to advertise this role for company standards reasons, but it's yours, we promise."

I agree, it is someone inside of the companies position already and they need to wait for it to clear the mandatory posting.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
That sounded pretty bog standard up until it was asking for TCG player specific design leadership.

Their benefits sound awesome, though. I'm digging halftime fridays, 3 weeks of vacation minimum plus christmas week, paid volunteer time, and they've got a handful of family-centric things too.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Did they really need to put a list of day to day responsibilities that's just "be a manager?"

I had a similar reaction to MaRo's podcast on his day to day job where his description of working at WotC is identical to working at every other large corporation in a role where you use a computer at your cube ever.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
Hey everyone. I've just finished buying into Lantern Control and I'm gonna take it to SCG Baltimore on Feb. 17th to do some team Constructed with my friends. I don't have any practice playing on paper, I only play Cockatrice. Is there anything I should know? I'm hoping to get a few modern FNMs under my belt beforehand, though :s

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Duskfiend posted:

Hey everyone. I've just finished buying into Lantern Control and I'm gonna take it to SCG Baltimore on Feb. 17th to do some team Constructed with my friends. I don't have any practice playing on paper, I only play Cockatrice. Is there anything I should know? I'm hoping to get a few modern FNMs under my belt beforehand, though :s

Whats your list?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Duskfiend posted:

The deck is pretty simple once you get reps in. The trick is knowing other decks well enough to understand how to sideboard and what things to name with needle. Also you need to account for things that draw cards before you attempt to mill an important card off the top of an opponents deck. Remember the second mode of codex shredder as its very important. Try to keep your pace of play up because your opponents generally play slow as gently caress against you because nobody wants to play against lantern control.

Deck: Lantern Control

//Lands
2 Academy Ruins
4 Blooming Marsh
1 Forest
3 Ghost Quarter
4 Glimmervoid
2 Inventors' Fair
1 Swamp

//Spells
3 Abrupt Decay
4 Ancient Stirrings
4 Codex Shredder
2 Collective Brutality
4 Ensnaring Bridge
3 Ghoulcaller's Bell
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lantern of Insight
2 Mishra's Bauble
4 Mox Opal
3 Pithing Needle
1 Pyxis of Pandemonium
3 Surgical Extraction
2 Thoughtseize

//Sideboard
1 Blessed Alliance
2 Collective Brutality
2 Grafdigger's Cage
4 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Seal of Primordium
2 Spellskite
1 Surgical Extraction
2 Welding Jar

Display deck statistics

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 19, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Actually on that note there's an interesting thing I never thought about or realized before MaRo's podcast about his day to day job: MaRo isn't a manager and doesn't want to be one. He mentioned having to have weekly one on one meetings with your direct reports if you were a manager and that he did have people reporting to him before but doesn't any more. Also he mentioned that there is a guy whose job it is to manage the rest of the design team in terms of keeping up with how they're doing as employees, doing performance reviews, etc so that he doesn't have to do that work himself.

Take that for what it's worth. It at least is some insight into MaRo's place in the company. He says he has to go to the meetings with the higher ups at WotC because he's obviously one of the most senior people there, but he never really has much interest or input into those kinds of meetings. I think that he explicitly didn't want to be promoted into a role where he has to spend more time caring about people issues than designing cards.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
this is hilarious:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sigma-X posted:

this is hilarious:

I too like Bagel Bites.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Duskfiend posted:

here's the best advice i have for the deck:

don't play modern

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Ultima66 posted:

Actually on that note there's an interesting thing I never thought about or realized before MaRo's podcast about his day to day job: MaRo isn't a manager and doesn't want to be one. He mentioned having to have weekly one on one meetings with your direct reports if you were a manager and that he did have people reporting to him before but doesn't any more. Also he mentioned that there is a guy whose job it is to manage the rest of the design team in terms of keeping up with how they're doing as employees, doing performance reviews, etc so that he doesn't have to do that work himself.

Take that for what it's worth. It at least is some insight into MaRo's place in the company. He says he has to go to the meetings with the higher ups at WotC because he's obviously one of the most senior people there, but he never really has much interest or input into those kinds of meetings. I think that he explicitly didn't want to be promoted into a role where he has to spend more time caring about people issues than designing cards.

He should just be making cards then

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I love it when I break MODO playing Commander. The game exploded when I attacked with everything and pinged a player with Goblin Bombardment during combat.

Edit: I am now into the 2nd restart of the game and it went back to turn 5, and we're playing again? Wow.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

if mtgo knows it's getting an error why can't it send a notification with the game id itself

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Because it was designed by the people that made mtgo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

if mtgo knows it's getting an error why can't it send a notification with the game id itself

The funniest bug I've ever reported to MTGO is that the bug reporting system was broken.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

En Fuego posted:

I love it when I break MODO playing Commander. The game exploded when I attacked with everything and pinged a player with Goblin Bombardment during combat.

Edit: I am now into the 2nd restart of the game and it went back to turn 5, and we're playing again? Wow.

How in the hell you can subject yourself to playing commander on modo mystifies me.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cactrot posted:

How in the hell you can subject yourself to playing commander mystifies me.

or alternatively

Cactrot posted:

How in the hell you can subject yourself to playing on modo mystifies me.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cactrot posted:

How in the hell you can subject yourself to playing commander on modo mystifies me.

some people really really hate wearing pants

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

A big flaming stink posted:

some people really really hate wearing pants

Legit reason, I get it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Cactrot posted:

I have the itch. I don't like getting people together in person and there's a diverse meta. Plus no pants and weed.

And I multitask a lot when doing it. It's like online poker, and occasionally I can tilt people with ultra stupid decks.

• Locked thread