Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Since coolers apparently go to absolute zero could you just turn them around and freeze the raiders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Thefluffy posted:

also the rimworld wiki claims that even just one dose of wake-up is enough to guarantee a heart attack 2 years later or so. THANKS TYNAN :jerkbag:

The wiki is full of poo poo. It can only give your pawn a heart during the high (which means there's a 0.4% risk of heart attack with each dose taken), and it recommends that instead you give your doctor go-juice, which has a 1 in 12 chance of addiction even with the first dose.

endolithic posted:

Do the non-Randy storytellers keep escalating their bullshit as you move to other maps?

The time based storyteller rampup (which applies to all storytellers, including Randy), which grows continually over time but is reduced whenever a colonist is incapacitated or killed, is global and not affected in any way by migration. The wealth based threat scaling is map local, so how much of it carries over to new maps depends on how much of your wealth you bring along with you.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Since coolers apparently go to absolute zero could you just turn them around and freeze the raiders?

They struggle to get past -40 or so, I've found

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So what mods do you guys prefer?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Teikanmi posted:

See, for me, the thing about the hotbox is that it should be a quick kill and also just a switch flip. Having to wait for fire to spread, and then rebuilding it every time you need it is such a hassle. That's why I like tight air corridors lined with air conditioners making GBS threads out hot air. I'm trying to find the 2017 version of that.

That's what I'm going for. Get all of the heaters/conditioners lined up and connected to a power switch that's lined up with a battery bank/power source. Create a long, winding corridor for them to walk through and then turn on the heat.

One thing you could do to get the airlock doors to close would be to have a "panic room" where you stash a guy behind 3-4 closed doors, something that would seriously tell the AI pathfinding to go elsewhere. Then when the horde has passed the airlock you send the guy through and then have him immediately run away so that all the doors close.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
My new favorite is one weirdly called Look at me, I'm the worker now, which just changes the way you can micro pawns. If you select a pawn and right click a job that someone else is assigned to, it automatically boots the currently working pawn off the task and tells your currently selected pawn to perform it.

This is great for times when, say, you just fought off a raid, and you want all your pawns out there to grab an item to haul back with them when they go. You select Johnny Rambo near the battle site, right click that LMG that the enemy dropped, and see that Jane Never-Fights way back at base has already tasked herself to haul that LMG. If you don't want her to run 500 tiles to grab the LMG while Johnny is right there, normally you would have to pause the game, go find Jane, draft / undraft her to cancel her job, go back to find Johnny who you originally wanted to haul the thing, realize that he doesn't have hauling active in his work priorities, go to his work priorities, activate hauling, THEN right click him on the LMG to get him to haul it back to the weapon stockpile. then find him later to deactivate hauling again. What a pain.

With this mod you just select johnny, right-click the LMG, and it automatically interrupts Jane's claim on the haul job, automatically tells Johnny to ignore his work priorities just for this one hauling task, and sends him to haul the thing.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The capacity of coolers decreases based on the temperature delta between the hot and cold sides, reaching zero when the cold side is 130C colder than the hot side. The capacity calculation also caps the cold side to a maximum of +40C, so you can't chain them to superheat rooms. You can chain them to super cool rooms, but you're going to need a lot.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I've finally gotten a permadeath (rough) colony to what I guess is end game (bionic modifications and power armor w/ masterwork charge rifles+). It's also been the most dramatic colony I've had.

Two colonists got married, and before the season was over the male had an affair with another colonist. This prompted an artist to create a masterwork sculpture of them becoming lovers and "dripping with sweat". Their fling ended, and so I decided to put the statue in their bedroom (they are still married) as a memory. My wife thought this was cruel.

Today, I had an infestation spawn on three separate extremes inside of my base which spans a valley and multiple mountains (top right, bottom right, bottom left). One of the infestations broke a piece of wall within 10 seconds of spawning, opening it up to an ancient room with cryosleep containers. I thought this would be the end of my colony, but as it turns out, scarabs and centepedes are NOT friends. They started fighting to the death, and then the containers woke up and 3 space soldiers came out, unfortunately they didn't last long. I managed to clear out the infestations thanks to power armor, charge rifles, and my new knowledge of how infestations maintain a limited radius around their hive.

e: added more storiez

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 18, 2017

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

mitztronic posted:

I thought this would be the end of my colony, but as it turns out, scarabs and centepedes are NOT friends.

Turns out nature abhors a toaster, not a vacuum. :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So what mods do you guys prefer?

I love Vegetable Garden so I can feed my colonists a wide variety of food (aka pizza all day every day)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

screw killing invaders, what about using these hot/cold boxes on traders for free stuff? Or do you take a reputation hit regardless of who/what kills merchants?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you might now but in previous versions one of the primary ways to steal from traders was to pop off one of those psi thingies that sent all the animals on the map into manhunter mode so the theory's sound

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Galaga Galaxian posted:

screw killing invaders, what about using these hot/cold boxes on traders for free stuff? Or do you take a reputation hit regardless of who/what kills merchants?

Definitely worth an experiment or two to find out.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I don't know anything about modding Rimworld, but is a mortar variant whose shells explode into 2-5 manhunting animals feasible? Seems like that would be a flexible (and hilarious) way to deniably waylay travelers!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

from what little hacking i've done with it, you basically have as much access as you need in terms of overriding and adding to the base game's items, so it would be a matter of sorting out the spawning mechanics on detonation, which should (tm) be possible

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

Mammon Loves You posted:

For anyone playing with the Lovecraft mods, is there any way to stop your animals from going insane? Am I missing some mechanic or is it just not possible to have pets/livestock with those mods?

Since I didn't see anyone answer this: I'm using the mods and it's perfectly viable to keep animals. I'm 3+ years into my current colony and have had no issues with pets going mad.

Do you happen to be butchering up Deep Ones, Mi-Go or the like? Their meat causes sanity loss, which for pets is pretty much a one way trip to berserker rage.

If you're going to have strange meat in your base, don't leave it anywhere an animal can get to it. I personally use it for Chemfuel production, with a separate storage area and butchering table.

Devdisigdu fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 18, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A manhunter pack killed a caravan earlier, and I got no reputation loss and also got to keep their stuff. Well, most of it. A good chunk of it was set on fire and burned up.

LonsomeSon posted:

I don't know anything about modding Rimworld, but is a mortar variant whose shells explode into 2-5 manhunting animals feasible? Seems like that would be a flexible (and hilarious) way to deniably waylay travelers!

Heck you could make a whole research thing about this. Make a workstation that takes animal corpses as ingredients to make a boomrat bomb. Justify it by saying you're using the biomass to clone them or something.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

mitztronic posted:

I thought this would be the end of my colony, but as it turns out, scarabs and centepedes are NOT friends.

it's actually canon rimworld lore that the giant bugs where genetically engineered to fight the robots. it's just that like any other mad science the bugs turned on their masters as usual.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You definitely don't get a rep hit if they die to raiders so I doubt you get one if they're randomly struck by lightening or get burned to death in a fire that just happens to be inside a building that you specifically constructed for that purpose.

I guess the biggest question is how do you start the fire? Because you probably can't throw a Molotov such that the traders die from the fire without getting a rep hit for the kill (although I guess that's not guaranteed)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chalks posted:

You definitely don't get a rep hit if they die to raiders so I doubt you get one if they're randomly struck by lightening or get burned to death in a fire that just happens to be inside a building that you specifically constructed for that purpose.

I guess the biggest question is how do you start the fire? Because you probably can't throw a Molotov such that the traders die from the fire without getting a rep hit for the kill (although I guess that's not guaranteed)

I'm thinking more along the lines of the hotbox, although they can just go through doors right?

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
Doors can easily become walls.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think that's exactly why you can't designate a trading spot in the base game.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Slime posted:

A manhunter pack killed a caravan earlier, and I got no reputation loss and also got to keep their stuff. Well, most of it. A good chunk of it was set on fire and burned up.

I had this happen but i rescued two guys from the muffalo rampage and got free 30 reputation gain

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Manhunter packs showing up during caravans or raids is one of my favorite things in this game. Has happened twice to me both times hilarious.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I had a caravan and a raid happen at the same time. Was anxious for the injury-free carnage and loot. The two parties were heading straight for each other at my front door, met up, waved hi and proceeded to make my life hell by having the caravan stand around the middle of a raging gun battle I couldn't afford to let past my defenses before catching gunfire and turning on me for attacking them.

Swapped one pawn over to grenades and let the carnage fly as he went allahu ackbar on them. I imagine he'll get his digital virgins while I got the loot and one more pissed off faction while learning that they can be neutral to each other.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Thefluffy posted:

it's actually canon rimworld lore that the giant bugs where genetically engineered to fight the robots. it's just that like any other mad science the bugs turned on their masters as usual.

starcraft? Is that you?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Thefluffy posted:

The impression I've always had is that the insectoids are simply feral, with no masters around to serve (their civilization(s) collapsed, and not necessarily at the hands of either mechanoids or insectoids), rather than having turned against their masters. I don't think that any official lore states either way.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Can I kill wildlife with fire from an incendiary launcher? Does it damage the goods?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah it deteriorates the corpse so if it's on fire for too long the body will simply disappear

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
How does "missing % body parts" affect butchering? Direct relation to the amount of meat you receive? Same with leather amount?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yes

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I did some experiments. The structures used a 4x4 room with granite walls and a second insulative layer using an air barrier. The maximum temp you can reasonably get using heaters is around 110C. Using the exhaust from air conditioners it's around 160C. Using a steam vent it bursts but it averages around 160C. You can get up to 200C peak using a combination of air conditioner exhaust and a steam vent (plus the steam vent burns). The same box with 8 sets of wood walls will burn at 2000C. That said you don't need wood walls; just straight wood will also work. A single block of wood wall will burn and get the room to 300C.

I can get to -160C using two rows of air conditioners, and -200C using three rows. The real problem is that air conditioners are extremely vulnerable to attack.

I'm having better luck limiting the amount of wood I use, and using things like incendiary IED traps to initiate it.

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
In regards to the hotbox discussion I found this video on youtube a week or so ago when I was clicking around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRYVLSzE6dM

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fenom posted:

In regards to the hotbox discussion I found this video on youtube a week or so ago when I was clicking around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRYVLSzE6dM

Yeah it definitely looks like fire is the way to go.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Raiders using boomalope as cover during a firefight sounds pretty great for you.

Until you realize that it is next to a barn you set up and the non-conscripted pacifists decide that they need to run out in the middle of a flaming battlefield to put out fires.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Zhentar posted:

The time based storyteller rampup (which applies to all storytellers, including Randy), which grows continually over time but is reduced whenever a colonist is incapacitated or killed, is global and not affected in any way by migration. The wealth based threat scaling is map local, so how much of it carries over to new maps depends on how much of your wealth you bring along with you.

Well this makes sense, I'll keep it in mind for a possible nomadic run. Thanks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zhentar posted:

The impression I've always had is that the insectoids are simply feral, with no masters around to serve (their civilization(s) collapsed, and not necessarily at the hands of either mechanoids or insectoids), rather than having turned against their masters. I don't think that any official lore states either way.

I believe the megascarabs at least are referenced as being genetically engineered.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Grinning Goblin posted:

Raiders using boomalope as cover during a firefight sounds pretty great for you.

Until you realize that it is next to a barn you set up and the non-conscripted pacifists decide that they need to run out in the middle of a flaming battlefield to put out fires.

I learned the value of making restricted areas like this when my 20 skill crafter exploded

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Tamed boomalopes/boomrats are awesome, just pasture them in the path of incoming dickheads and they are a great natural source of comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Grinning Goblin posted:

Traders with boomalopes are the worst. An unfortunate hunting accident burned both my base and relations with that faction.