Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

So much loving filler, I played and beat the video game and liked the characters so I tried to watch the anime, it's like four episodes to get through what was the tutorial level in the game.

The manga's way tighter pacing-wise. The One Piece anime is kind of not good, it was just the first example of an anime trying to slavishly stick to an ongoing manga I could think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well there's Dragonball of course. It just has the habit of having miles of filler and even new characters to pad out the release schedule, but those events never affected the story which was extremely faithful to the comic.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, Walking Dead is probably the closest and it's not quite there. You don't really see 1:1 comic to TV adaptations.

Considering how boring the Walking Dead comic is now they basically converged in regards to entertainment value.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Well, I mean more in the sense that no major plot details are changed. Like, if you compare the Walking Dead comic to the show, the broad strokes are the same but a lot of the specifics of events are different between the two. Not to mention stuff like Rick still having both of his arms in the show.

Meanwhile, the One Piece anime (for example) adds filler and stretches out scenes, but is largely a very faithful adaptation of the One Piece manga. Stuff typically happens in both in the same way.

The arm thing could easily be because looking back he regrets having him lose the hand

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

greatn posted:

Well there's Dragonball of course. It just has the habit of having miles of filler and even new characters to pad out the release schedule, but those events never affected the story which was extremely faithful to the comic.

Though there was one time a throw away line completely hosed with a future event so they had to have a whole filler scene devoted to fixing it.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Well, uh...

https://twitter.com/SonyPictures/status/821784679388852225

Very eager to hear his take on this.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Kodansha is walking back the WB Attack on Titan story, but doing it in a way that sounds like nothing is signed yet and either there is another party or they want WB to think there is.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-18/kodansha-rep-report-of-warner-bros-attack-on-titan-films-is-incorrect/

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

That's going to be the 1-line reviews of the movie too.

I kinda miss the original Dragonball manga, read it back in college and the first few arcs were pretty good and fun. Threw em away during a move though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So who is the guy telling the Major she was put in a prosthetic body by nefarious means?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

I still can't believe this movie is actually coming out. Is Sony Pictures just getting really desperate or something?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

"getting"?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Tars Tarkas posted:

Smurfs: The Lost Village - this looks actually not-terrible even though it is obvious the lost village is full of women Smurfs

and since marketing doesn't care about spoiling that film any more

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

The arm thing could easily be because looking back he regrets having him lose the hand

Oh, almost certainly, but that's beside the point. The type of adaptation we're discussing doesn't make major changes like that, period.

Even in anime, there are exceptions to this- something like Gantz or Soul Eater is closer to how American series adapt their source material- but the general rule, especially with Shonen Jump series, is to stay as close to the source as humanly possible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
With Trump elected, they should adapt the Smurf King comic instead, where one Smurf is named head of the village in Papa Smurf's absence and ends up going full dictator with golden Smurf hat and throne room and stuff.

Edit: And instead of the stupid New York stuff they should have just adapted the comics where they team up with a french Knight.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Will it feature a scathing critique of modern beauty standards since Smurfette is all artificial?

MonsieurChoc posted:

With Trump elected, they should adapt the Smurf King comic instead, where one Smurf is named head of the village in Papa Smurf's absence and ends up going full dictator with golden Smurf hat and throne room and stuff.

That had to be Brainy Smurf.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Brainy was tossed in jail but was convinced he was an important martyr to the cause even though everyone else didn't care

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I just looked it up and when they did the story in the cartoon, Brainy Smurf was King Smurf, but in the comics it is just a random smurf with no name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG3mPGpLg68

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Sometimes when adapting a current running manga into an anime you have to split from the source material and thats why Hitler and Fritz Lang are characters in Full Metal Alchemist

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come they translated it as attack on titan. makes it sounds like a space opera set around saturn.

i also still do not understand what all you need is kill is supposed to mean.

Tars Tarkas posted:

wonder if they still got both titties.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Sometimes when adapting a current running manga into an anime you have to split from the source material and thats why Hitler and Fritz Lang are characters in Full Metal Alchemist

FMA 2003 is especially weird because it turns into its own bizarre thing way before the ending, and has themes and subtext that are pretty much the literal polar opposite of the manga and Brotherhood. But it's also a drastic exception rather than the rule, which is why Brotherhood exists.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

FMA 2003 is especially weird because it turns into its own bizarre thing way before the ending, and has themes and subtext that are pretty much the literal polar opposite of the manga and Brotherhood. But it's also a drastic exception rather than the rule, which is why Brotherhood exists.

I liked the 2003 anime more than the manga but I haven't read or watched either in almost a decade.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I think another reason US TV shows don't adapt ongoing comics is that until recently 'comics' in the US pretty much meant a collection of very disjointed stories starring the same superhero but written by a ton of different writers over the course of several decades. It lends itself a lot more to an approach of picking the best standalone stories and assembling a season of tv out of them.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Don't know if you finished it but the Brotherhood manga and anime are my go tos to the rare "Hey i want to get into anime but like a long form one, like i want to binge, man"

Brotherhood anime adaption would probably be my number one best anime ever.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come they translated it as attack on titan. makes it sounds like a space opera set around saturn.

i also still do not understand what all you need is kill is supposed to mean.

wonder if they still got both titties.

The creator of the series subtitled it as Attack on Titan and it stuck. I think Attack of the Titans sounds infinitely better and very 1950s sci-fi.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I liked the 2003 anime more than the manga but I haven't read or watched either in almost a decade.

I'm glad there's more people out there that prefer the 2003 anime. I think FMA 2003's atmosphere and world felt as bleak as the setting actually was.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 19, 2017

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Tars Tarkas posted:

I think this could actually be a pretty funny concept for an adult comedy. But the potential sources for humor are inappropriate for a kids movie, so no doubt this one is going to be poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugh, that terrible looking schmaltzy movie A Dog's Purpose had some behind the scenes footage leak where it shows that the filmmakers were not a dog's best friend. Basically the dog is forced to perform a stunt that it is clearly not comfortable doing (swimming in simulated rapids) and has to be shoved into the water.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vanderdeath posted:

The creator of the series subtitled it as Attack on Titan and it stuck. I think Attack of the Titans sounds infinitely better and very 1950s sci-fi.

it also makes more sense as they're being attacked by giants.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Can you explain this more? It sounds really interesting, and I love the idea of two things coming from the same source that interpret it completely differently.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

muscles like this! posted:

Ugh, that terrible looking schmaltzy movie A Dog's Purpose had some behind the scenes footage leak where it shows that the filmmakers were not a dog's best friend. Basically the dog is forced to perform a stunt that it is clearly not comfortable doing (swimming in simulated rapids) and has to be shoved into the water.

There's always Weiner-Dog and Heart of a Dog, I'm pretty sure there's no simulated drowning in that.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DC Murderverse posted:

Can you explain this more? It sounds really interesting, and I love the idea of two things coming from the same source that interpret it completely differently.

I cannot recall the specifics, but the original series was put together while the manga was ongoing. Rather than add filler or pad to get more plot from the creator, they just take a clean split about halfway in and suddenly start solving mysteries and reworking characters in their own fashion. This comes to a head in the conclusion film where one of the brothers is literally in Nazi Germany in our world.

Years later, Brotherhood was a straight adaptation of the then-finished manga.

(fun fact: Sailor Moon did this too, but it was way weirder and it's harder to compare some of the stuff 1:1 because they got 200 episodes out of a 60 chapter manga. The new series is just 1:1 episode-to-chapter adaptations.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Brotherhood is also much better.

2003 is a mess.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Footage here: http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_pfub62gb

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

One of the diversions of the 2003 anime is that all of the villians, the Homunculi had to be someone in a past life rather than in the source material where they were simply created.

So big soap opera twists like Their dead mother ended up being one of the bad guys and another was the main character's secret half brother . People that only read the manga or the newer anime would just state in disbelief what a mess that was.

Also the whole Secret of the universe, the big mysterious gate people see when they try human alchemy is actually a gate to WW1 germany real time and all the deaths power their alchemy on their side is just stupid.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

This sucks. I hope there are repercussions.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Sinners Sandwich posted:

This sucks. I hope there are repercussions.

Not going to watch this, and gently caress everyone involved.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

Oh hey I was just talking about Goodfellas and My Blue Heaven.

Simplex posted:

I think this could actually be a pretty funny concept for an adult comedy. But the potential sources for humor are inappropriate for a kids movie, so no doubt this one is going to be poo poo.

You're talking about Smurfette being the Town Bicycle, aren't you

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

It's no Milo and Otis!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I won't watch Dog Hindu but I will watch Milo and Otis.

I think it's one of those one dead clown is a tragedy, 10 dead clowns is hilarious kind of thing

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I watched that movie as an adult and was horrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Whenever something bad happens to an animal on TV or in a movie, I have to remind my wife that it's an "actor dog/cat".

Milo & Otis is her worst nightmare. :(

• Locked thread