Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Dem T-72s sure are pretty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Polikarpov posted:

Some really excellent examples of 6mm painting techniques got posted in one of the facebook groups I'm a member of.

Finally, a guy who understands how to highlight. I've seen some terrifying examples of THIN YOUR PAINTS in those groups, so this guy is a breath of fresh air.

Noice.

I'm gonna buy some.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

got me some panzers painted up. I do feel i lost my camo touch somewhere in the painting process, but they all blend in nicely regardless! I think i'll go for the "soft" camo as seen on the front left Panzer IV.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Some more soviet camo I'm hoping the thread will recognise:

The first looks like it might be afghanistan, or something? No clue on the rest but they look good, especially the green/white/brown-yellow one.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I picked up a copy of FFOT3 as my first groggy game and holy piss am I out of my element! Just trying to figure out how to build a force in 1:1 is a pain.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

6mm TY seems so cool. Curious if Battlefront will expand to other theatres though now I think about it has any historical game ever done cold war China?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Springfield Fatts posted:

I picked up a copy of FFOT3 as my first groggy game and holy piss am I out of my element! Just trying to figure out how to build a force in 1:1 is a pain.
It''s what I've been trying to do of late. It seems the best option is to go "no unit will be smaller than four of these things" and then just buy "lots" of infantry, then put the spares aside for when you inevitably decide you want to field motorized and mechanized Soviet Rifle Battalions at once...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I wanted to do 1:1 FFoT3, but the calculations hurt my brain.

I decided to go the Tiny Tanks route: if a base is three tanks, there will be three tanks on a base.

Support Polish 3mm manufacturers!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Picked up Swordpoint yesterday. Not sure what I think of it yet. Like element basing, but not sure if it's going to improve on Hail Caesar. It also seems more on a scale to Warhammer Ancients but then I've got War and Conquest which scratches that game size itch. Will have to get it to the table to try it out.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

Support Polish 3mm manufacturers!
Which ones? I might buy some local stuff to try out 3mm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What's Tiny Tanks?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Arquinsiel posted:

What's Tiny Tanks?
A blogger who posts photo battle reports of very pretty games. The recent stuff's been 6mm so you might have to look back a bit, but there's a lot there.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Has anyone tried Le Art de Geurr (Spelt wrong) rules? they look like an updated DBX.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Which ones? I might buy some local stuff to try out 3mm.

I only know of Odzial Osmy (8th army or somethial), and I have some of their sweet, tiny 3mm T-55s.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Polikarpov posted:

Some really excellent examples of 6mm painting techniques got posted in one of the facebook groups I'm a member of.

Finally, a guy who understands how to highlight. I've seen some terrifying examples of THIN YOUR PAINTS in those groups, so this guy is a breath of fresh air.

Where the hell do I get these?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Saga at 6mm

Vikings vs. the (unpainted) Irish

My 8 man unit (well, 6 by the time they reached him) of Hirdmen killed off his warlord with a boost from Heimdal giving me the victory.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 19, 2017

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Commissar Kip posted:

Where the hell do I get these?

I think these were GHQ, but there are a couple of different manufacturers. This guy has a nice list talking about them.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
It's been a productive few days. :canada:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

That Sherman looks awesome.

Also the background of your lightbox reminds me of when I was a kid and my parents would drag me to the photographers to have pictures taken

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Class Warcraft posted:

That Sherman looks awesome.

Also the background of your lightbox reminds me of when I was a kid and my parents would drag me to the photographers to have pictures taken

Thanks!

Also, for the background, I guess there's a reason people still use those things. Definitely helps the models 'pop'.

There was some silly Kickstarter charging like $50 for backgrounds, but really, just go here: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.ca/2010/05/photo-backgrounds.html

Throw those through a colour printer and you've got a decent starting place.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I can't find any resources about this online. I'm setting up a COC campaign, and I want the background to be at least a little accurate.

What organizational units did tanks and SPGs supporting infantry belong to? Were they members of armored divisions and "attached" to infantry units to support them? Would a Panzer IV supporting a Wehrmacht platoon from a infantry division belong to Panzer Division so-and-so and assigned to support the infantry division, or were they part of the infantry division? Did the Soviets do it any differently? What about SPGs like StuGs and SU-85s?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
If you're mixing tanks and infantry, chances are good that what you're looking at is actually a Panzer Division (most armored divisions included at least one regiment of infantry, usually mechanized). For SPGs like the StuGs and Marders, those could be organic to an infantry unit. These forces were Panzerjägers, and were organized in different ways at different points throughout the war. Often, they were assigned as the 14th company in an infantry regiment, but in some cases they formed an entire Battalion within a Panzer or Panzergrenadier division. The wiki article on Panzerjägers is very informative:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerj%C3%A4ger

That said, the Germans made heavy use of the "Kampfgruppe" concept. This is essentially an ad hoc task force made up of a bunch of units placed under a single command. And as the war dragged on, you could get a lot of "mix-n-match" stuff going on, where you'd have infantry and armored elements from a couple of different understrength divisions all rolled together into the same chain of command. So whether your infantry are part of the 5th Light (Infantry) Division and your tanks are part of the 15th Panzer Division, they're both part of the Deutches Afrika Korps and could definitely be fielded together.

Ilor fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 19, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Grey Hunter posted:

Has anyone tried Le Art de Geurr (Spelt wrong) rules? they look like an updated DBX.

I'm not really informed on DBA stuff but I have friends who are - and they're extremely excited about a newer ruleset called Triumph! It's on wargame vault

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Flipswitch posted:

6mm TY seems so cool. Curious if Battlefront will expand to other theatres though now I think about it has any historical game ever done cold war China?

I picked up the TY rules to check out- would 6mm be considerably cheaper than BF models? Are there a lot of manufacturers?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

muggins posted:

I picked up the TY rules to check out- would 6mm be considerably cheaper than BF models? Are there a lot of manufacturers?

Yes and yes. CinC/GHQ are usually the "quality" option and Scotia Grendel are the cheapass option.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

I can't find any resources about this online. I'm setting up a COC campaign, and I want the background to be at least a little accurate.

What organizational units did tanks and SPGs supporting infantry belong to? Were they members of armored divisions and "attached" to infantry units to support them? Would a Panzer IV supporting a Wehrmacht platoon from a infantry division belong to Panzer Division so-and-so and assigned to support the infantry division, or were they part of the infantry division? Did the Soviets do it any differently? What about SPGs like StuGs and SU-85s?

What battle is your campaign set in? it's usually pretty easy to see what divisions fought at any major battle and from there you can find out what component battalions were,ect and put together a "realistic" army list.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

muggins posted:

20 T-72s will cost you ~ $44 from GHQ or $28 from CinC. In 15mm from Battlefront? $180.

CinC in particular has some great company deals for Soviets, 10 tanks for $14.

The T-72 is from CinC and the BMPs are from GHQ.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 20, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

muggins posted:

Definitely so, BF (especially TY) are pricey as hell.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ilor posted:

If you're mixing tanks and infantry, chances are good that what you're looking at is actually a Panzer Division (most armored divisions included at least one regiment of infantry, usually mechanized). For SPGs like the StuGs and Marders, those could be organic to an infantry unit. These forces were Panzerjägers, and were organized in different ways at different points throughout the war. Often, they were assigned as the 14th company in an infantry regiment, but in some cases they formed an entire Battalion within a Panzer or Panzergrenadier division. The wiki article on Panzerjägers is very informative:

That said, the Germans made heavy use of the "Kampfgruppe" concept. This is essentially an ad hoc task force made up of a bunch of units placed under a single command. And as the war dragged on, you could get a lot of "mix-n-match" stuff going on, where you'd have infantry and armored elements from a couple of different understrength divisions all rolled together into the same chain of command. So whether your infantry are part of the 5th Light (Infantry) Division and your tanks are part of the 15th Panzer Division, they're both part of the Deutches Afrika Korps and could definitely be fielded together.

Thanks, that definitely helpful!

Class Warcraft posted:

What battle is your campaign set in? it's usually pretty easy to see what divisions fought at any major battle and from there you can find out what component battalions were,ect and put together a "realistic" army list.

I was planning on setting it on the Eastern front in March 1945, with the German platoon tasked with holding a small town and bridge near Luban in preparation for the Luban counterattack. I was mostly wondering what units I should say each platoon is from.

I'm not super concerned with crazy levels of accuracy, and the battle and town will probably just be made up, or I'll pick a town and river near Luban at random.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

How do you base stuff for Team Yankee in 6mm? Is it the kind of thing where I need to have armies for my opponents in the same scale, or can someone bring a 15mm force and have a game?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
You take advantage of 6mm being cheap and buy both sides.

Ilor posted:

StuGs in particular are an odd one, since early on there were doctrinal disputes that led to them being given to the artillery arm, which is why you see "StuG-Batterie" rather than Zug around the place. Towards the later end of the war they would still be in artillery units, but they'd also be assigned to Panzerjäger-Abteilung, so technically Panzerjägers, but also stuck into regular Mittlerer Panzer Zug because Panzer IVs and Panthers were getting scarce.

Polikarpov posted:

20 T-72s will cost you ~ $44 from GHQ or $28 from CinC. In 15mm from Battlefront? $180.

CinC in particular has some great company deals for Soviets, 10 tanks for $14.

The T-72 is from CinC and the BMPs are from GHQ.

Even though their T-72s are kind of ropey, Heroics and Ross will do you 20 tanks for £10. Some of their stuff is great, some of it is garbage. I have bought a lot of it so feel free to ask what the bits of your list are like if you're thinking about them.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 20, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I ordered CoC a bit ago, but I'm just getting around to reading it. How do people plan for pickup games? Just bring a bunch of stuff and figure it out after rolling scenarios?

In my case, not a huge deal, since it would always be played at my house with my models, but because of that, I generally like to build forces ahead of time.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Thanks, that definitely helpful!

I was planning on setting it on the Eastern front in March 1945, with the German platoon tasked with holding a small town and bridge near Luban in preparation for the Luban counterattack. I was mostly wondering what units I should say each platoon is from.

I'm not super concerned with crazy levels of accuracy, and the battle and town will probably just be made up, or I'll pick a town and river near Luban at random.

From what I can tell the Germans called this Operation Gemse. Looks like the town itself was held by the 6th volksgrenadiers along with some volkssturm and an armored brigade so there's a good excuse to mix infantry and tanks there.

Counterattack was led by mostly Panzer divisions so panzergrenadiers including parts of the grossdeutschland division.

Plenty of different options there.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Is there an army lister thingy for Team Yankee? I notice there are unit cards involved, would I miss out in 6mm?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

muggins posted:

Is there an army lister thingy for Team Yankee? I notice there are unit cards involved, would I miss out in 6mm?

This guy has one.

http://tylists.blogspot.com/2016/12/team-yankee.html

The books have all the stats in them. I just transcribe the stats to an excel sheet and print them onto 3x5 cards.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Colonial Air Force posted:

I ordered CoC a bit ago, but I'm just getting around to reading it. How do people plan for pickup games? Just bring a bunch of stuff and figure it out after rolling scenarios?

In my case, not a huge deal, since it would always be played at my house with my models, but because of that, I generally like to build forces ahead of time.

Pretty much. Choose a scenario (no need to roll for them as some of them are pants), place terrain, roll for support, and then start second-guessing what your opponent will bring. Often the terrain will have effect on what you want to bring.

We're in the position where we have... lots of stuff by now, so we can choose pretty much whatever we want when we field German-Soviet pick-up games. But when we started out our approach to pick-up games would be to choose two platoons, and then choose from the support options we had available. So when we mostly had a few extra sections, MG teams, AT guns and such, that was what we fielded. When we started to paint up more vehicles we could play with them, and so on.

There are a bunch of options that are simple to fill up points with, such as adjutants, minefields and such, if you don't have a lot of toys. Now that we started with North Africa we're kind of back to square one with the Brits, so a good approach is to get a bunch of basic support options (one AT gun, one MMG team, one light tank, etc), and then branch out.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I suppose that makes sense. I like the idea, just not sure how the execution is going to work. It's really the random part that makes it tough.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I've written up most of the COC campaign I'm preparing for. https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Y5AKm4E6t92Mm8ZJPLceERpdA-8phFLkWkcogVUqM8/edit?usp=sharing

I'm mostly worried that this is downright impossible for the Germans - They'll slowly run out of infantry as the campaign goes on, and if they lose their Tiger and StuGs they'll be in big trouble.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I promised pictures of the Pendraken 1864 Danish soldiers. My colleague received them today and here's a teaser:

I'll get mine on Monday, so expect higher quality pictures then. bonus to my colleague for doing a scene :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
It looks interesting. Definitely hard on the Germans, but a clever German player is going to be able to conserve his forces for the long haul. Entrenchments are very effective in CoC, so being able to fortify will be huge.

For an added dimension, even though the Soviets are replacing their casualties, I'd track the CO's and mens' opinions of the Soviet platoon leadership still. Maybe put something in there such that while the Soviet commander gets a fresh platoon for every battle, if his casualties rise too high he becomes deemed "wasteful of Party resources" by the political leadership. He may win the battle, only to be "forcibly retired" to Siberia after the war. This gives a way for the German player to secure a partial (or symbolic) victory.