Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
You know what I really love about this episode?

Mace is still a good guy. He wasn't doing anything nefarious, he "just wanted to help". Mace rules.

That being said, YOU WERE SHOOTING HIM UP WITH THE HYDE FORMULA, WHAT THE gently caress TALBOT?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Mace is still a good guy. He wasn't doing anything nefarious, he "just wanted to help". Mace rules.

That being said, YOU WERE SHOOTING HIM UP WITH THE HYDE FORMULA, WHAT THE gently caress TALBOT?!?

They took the bad stuff out!* :mad:

*most of it

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Talbot is the best.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

cant cook creole bream posted:

Can you jog my memory?

The incident with the mind-controlling inhuman child that May had to shoot, and from which she earned the Cavalry nickname

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Isn't that literally the comic book plot background for the character Mace is based on?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am so glad that Mace just turned out to be a fraud rather than him being secretly the Hate Monger or something. I guess that explains why Nadir had something over him earlier in the season, she knew he was riding the Hyde Horse.

AoS need to go to Asgard so Odin can give Jarnbjorn to Mac. Also, Fitz, what are you doing with the head???? Dude seriously, Simmons is out there for you, stop playing with it!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Also, Fitz, what are you doing with the head???? Dude seriously, Simmons is out there for you, stop playing with it!

Fitz is setting up the stage for a fight between a good Fitz-Aida vs an evil Radcliffe-Aida
The latter is turning into a violent maniac already anyway

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Alexeythegreat posted:

Fitz is setting up the stage for a fight between a good Fitz-Aida vs an evil Radcliffe-Aida
The latter is turning into a violent maniac already anyway

He keeps trying to subdue her and commands her not to kill people. It wont be long before she will attack him. This time for real.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Isn't that literally the comic book plot background for the character Mace is based on?

Wasn't it a modified version of the super soldier serum though?

But seriously, after what happened to Blonsky/Abomination, you'd think the military would stop injecting people with mysterious blue liquid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know exactly where they're going with Fitz's Aida but Radcliffe's Aida was definitely seeming like she was put out by Radcliffe's criticisms and disapproval. I still think there's a solid chance that the Darkholde did affect her which will lead her to eventually turning against Radcliffe and escalating things. Radcliffe will resort back to his "hey wait, I didn't want to kill anyone" role and Aida becomes the threat. And then I guess maybe Fitz's Aida is the key as she's presumably not affected by the Darkholde? Dunno.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Wasn't it a modified version of the super soldier serum though?

But seriously, after what happened to Blonsky/Abomination, you'd think the military would stop injecting people with mysterious blue liquid.

The Marvel universe is filled with heroes and villains who came about because ever since Captain America everyone and their brother has been trying to recreate the formula and it never works. Its just a recurring world theme, really, and as soon as it was determined that Mace wasn't an Inhuman it was inevitable that he was going to be a misguided US military experiment to create their own superhero. Whether they overtly say "Captain America" or not, it all comes back to "drat it, we had a super soldier and we blew it by picking some guy who questions chain of command."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know exactly where they're going with Fitz's Aida but Radcliffe's Aida was definitely seeming like she was put out by Radcliffe's criticisms and disapproval. I still think there's a solid chance that the Darkholde did affect her which will lead her to eventually turning against Radcliffe and escalating things. Radcliffe will resort back to his "hey wait, I didn't want to kill anyone" role and Aida becomes the threat. And then I guess maybe Fitz's Aida is the key as she's presumably not affected by the Darkholde? Dunno.

Aida 2 never read the Darkhold though so how is she affected by it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assumed that Radcliffe's Aida was the original. Did I miss some dialogue that countered that?

My assumption is that Fitz's Aida is unaffected by the Darkholde, which means all his efforts to find what's wrong with her will be for nought and ultimately she'll just be the happy orders taking Aida while Radcliffe's Aida is all questioning him and getting annoyed by his judgments and moral rules.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Aida was never effected by the Darkhold, it's just a machine doing what it was programmed to do. It's always been Radcliffe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I said, I thought they were implying in this episode that Aida going homicidal, questioning Radcliffe, and seemingly ruffling at his talking down to her was setup for her eventually going on her own. But its just a vague theory and it could all be programming.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

Aida 2 never read the Darkhold though so how is she affected by it?

When they were making the Aida copy they just copy/pasted darkhold.pdf from her memory banks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

I assumed that Radcliffe's Aida was the original. Did I miss some dialogue that countered that?

My assumption is that Fitz's Aida is unaffected by the Darkholde, which means all his efforts to find what's wrong with her will be for nought and ultimately she'll just be the happy orders taking Aida while Radcliffe's Aida is all questioning him and getting annoyed by his judgments and moral rules.

Aida 2 rsays the "original model" had the Darkhold in her hands or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well, if I missed it I missed it. Although "original model" is probably less relevant than "the one that read the Darkholde." But its all just some random thought I had and not really worth a debate, because I can't back it up with anything but half thought theory.

I'm fine with all being Radcliffe. I just thought Aida was getting pretty antsy with him.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There was a little too much focus put on Aida's misinterpreting of orders, the imperfections in her programming, and her seemingly-emotional reaction to Radcliff's dismissals and scolding of her for nothing to come of it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's all I'm saying. That plus the whole Darkholde thing being a total red herring seems a bit uncharacteristic for the show. But it all may be a lot of nothing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I though the end was a little weird, Mace is no less capable of leading Shield than he was before they thought he was inhuman, or before they learned that he was getting his powers from a serum.
Coulson was being pretty vindictive against someone who did nothing wrong, other than not telling people about a top secret project.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well it did endanger their lives by withholding that secret, plus he's recently learned that Mace had been blackmailed by the Senator.

But also the whole season has basically been about Caulson undermining Mace's authority because he deems Mace as unqualified for the tactics, and Mace in small ways proving that true. So the serum thing ends up just being the leverage Caulson has to push him out, but because Mace is a pretty standup guy he steps down meaning Caulson doesn't have to and Caulson keeps him in the role he's actually qualified for. The unspoken leverage Caulson now has over Mace and Talbot is that he can expose them publicly and cause a lot of trouble.

Of course he probably wouldn't do that because it would not only undermine SHIELD but also cause problems with Inhuman relations.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 18, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Oasx posted:

I though the end was a little weird, Mace is no less capable of leading Shield than he was before they thought he was inhuman, or before they learned that he was getting his powers from a serum.
Coulson was being pretty vindictive against someone who did nothing wrong, other than not telling people about a top secret project.

It was spelled out pretty explicitly that Mace's bureaucratic management style was anathema to a spy agency, and the guy clearly had no relevant experience. If Coulson were being vindictive, he would have let him resign in disgrace. As it is now, he's got a good job that makes use of his skill set as a politician and allows him to do some actual good.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Reset Smith posted:

Was the sniper bullet one of the special rounds from Luke Cage?

Definitely seems the same, it made that same whirring/drilling sound prior to exploding.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wondered that while I was watching. Its a pretty cool touch that they never have to actually address.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

STAC Goat posted:

I wondered that while I was watching. Its a pretty cool touch that they never have to actually address.

Yeah, little nods are great. I also liked when Fury used one of Fitz's gadgets to escape in Winter Soldier.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oasx posted:

I don't think Coulson was vindictive at all. He just put his foot down in that tactical decisions were his call, like they should have been. Otherwise he was accepting that Mace lied, but did it because he wanted to help. Mace wasn't looking to gain power or be selfish, he wants Inhumans to be treated well and this was an opportunity for that.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

hope and vaseline posted:

Definitely seems the same, it made that same whirring/drilling sound prior to exploding.

Marvel has apparently confirmed that yeah, it was a Judas round.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

STAC Goat posted:

The Marvel universe is filled with heroes and villains who came about because ever since Captain America everyone and their brother has been trying to recreate the formula and it never works. Its just a recurring world theme, really, and as soon as it was determined that Mace wasn't an Inhuman it was inevitable that he was going to be a misguided US military experiment to create their own superhero. Whether they overtly say "Captain America" or not, it all comes back to "drat it, we had a super soldier and we blew it by picking some guy who questions chain of command."
Fitz and Simmons both groaned about Talbot trying to recreate the Erskine Experiment, shortly claiming he and his team were only "mostly idiots".

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think Coulson was vindictive at all. He just put his foot down in that tactical decisions were his call, like they should have been. Otherwise he was accepting that Mace lied, but did it because he wanted to help. Mace wasn't looking to gain power or be selfish, he wants Inhumans to be treated well and this was an opportunity for that.
Mace is good on the PR side, but was consistently suboptimal on the operations side. Arguments could be made that Coulson doesn't have a spotless record on that front either, but I think them working together will work out.

I DO hope they tell Daisy and the other SHIELD inhumans the score though. They'll figure it out eventually, and kinda deserve to know.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Didn't Daisy and LMD May get told when they were going to rescue them? I think I remember one of them saying "Mace can hold them off until we get there" and then Fitz or Simmons saying "Well, about that..."

Caulson, Mack, Fitz, and Simmons all know for sure and Daisy and LMD May presumably got told so either way it should be common knowledge with our cast and anyone who matters for the show. Although I guess someone needs to go let YoYo in on the gossip. But that's probably Mack's job.

Plus if Caulson is calling the shots than the rest of SHIELD is probably going to have to be told something or else its a really sketchy game where Caulson's using Mace as a puppet to his own agents.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
That's right, they did get told. If Daisy knows, Mack knows. If Daisy or Mack knows, Yoyo probably knows shortly thereafter.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Reset Smith posted:

Was the sniper bullet one of the special rounds from Luke Cage?

Thats the first thing I thought

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

OB_Juan posted:

That's right, they did get told. If Daisy knows, Mack knows. If Daisy or Mack knows, Yoyo probably knows shortly thereafter.

Well there's no doubt Mack knows since he was at ground zero with Mace and Caulson. So I think its academic. Anyone who matters to us knows or should be told from someone who knows.

Although, I guess Radcliffe doesn't know and that could maybe sorta matter.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

A Team That Trusts Is A Team That Triumphs. :smug:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Aida 2 rsays the "original model" had the Darkhold in her hands or something.

If it didn't affect her, she wouldn't be able to read it... right?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slashrat posted:

The incident with the mind-controlling inhuman child that May had to shoot, and from which she earned the Cavalry nickname

Why are you spoilering stuff that was covered two seasons ago?

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
You know, as each episode passes I keep reevaluating how much of a diplomatic maelstrom all of this will be for the Inhuman royal family. And it is going to be absolutely beautiful :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
At the beginning of the season I did not like Mace.

After last episode I started to like Mace.

Now I really loving love Mace. There has not been a single human in this show who has said "god DAMMIT Inhumans are people, they should be treated like full citizens you morons" with more conviction. As far as I'm concerned, now that the cards are on the table, just keep a backup of Not Hyde Juice under the desk and juice up when you suit up. Hourman Patriot is just fine by me. :patriot:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Plus if Caulson is calling the shots than the rest of SHIELD is probably going to have to be told something or else its a really sketchy game where Caulson's using Mace as a puppet to his own agents.

Daisy tells May that "Caulson's gathering everyone in the director's office", so it sounds like there is going to be a general announcement to top level staff at least.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Codependent Poster posted:

I wouldn't have minded it if Coulson and Mace agreed to split the tasks, so they each did what they were good at. But it just came across like Coulson was blackmailing Mace so Coulson could continue to do the fun job, but not have any actual responsibilities.
In this situation Coulson is more the "bad guy" than Mace is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Oasx posted:

I wouldn't have minded it if Coulson and Mace agreed to split the tasks, so they each did what they were good at. But it just came across like Coulson was blackmailing Mace so Coulson could continue to do the fun job, but not have any actual responsibilities.
In this situation Coulson is more the "bad guy" than Mace is.

It's was specifically: You do PR and politics, which you're good at, (and I don't like), I'll do operations (which Coulson likes and is good at).

Considering that Mace just got done telling a story about falling down photogenically during a crisis, and riding that to superpowers and leadership of SHIELD, it's not a terrible deal. He actually is good at PR and politics (announcing Quake was SHIELD on the spot, that debate), but bad at operations (p.much everything else he did).

Realistically, the Son of Coul running the place with a quality PR machine is a good version of SHIELD.

• Locked thread