Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I found out my net worth is kinda-sorta double what I thought it was last week after looking up the commuted value of my vested pension contributions. I don't track it in my NW calculations but if I quit today I'd get about a quarter mil split 60/40 between 401k/lump sum payment, which is a lot better than the (indexed) 1800/mo I'd be able to collect at 60 in 30 years' time. Not as good as the full pension, sure, but it's nice to know I have that much more safety cushion.

e. that said, I still plan to work to a pension...but a lot can change in 15 years.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

I could start posting ERE and gocurrycracker articles if you'd prefer more heated discussion. :v:

I'm 9 months into something like that: slow-paced world travel while writing a software thing I'm hoping to grow into a community and a consulting niche. I'm 35. According to firecalc, my savings has a 98% chance of lasting at least 10 years at my initially estimated expenditures, but I've already committed to give up in two if I can't turn a profit by then.

Actually, those estimates ended up being wildly pessimistic: spending isn't consistent month-to-month when you're moving 4-7 times a year, but based on my experience so far, I could do it comfortably and productively (by my standards) for under 15k/year. I've also seen a few places so far where I could afford to just settle down and live indefinitely, but I haven't felt like it. Maybe that would be a bit "too retired."

ERE and GCC are good examples of the problem I have - I can't relate much to those lifestyles. ERE in particular, but while I envision slow travel I also plan to keep my home in Colorado. So same issue with GCC.

I CAN, however, relate to your point on inconsistent spending and I see a consistent trend in the blogs of casually suggesting Cost of Living in Vietnam or Thailand is indicative of retirement spending forever. Any cool places you'd care to talk about? Was it difficult to find housing anywhere?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Money is an inherently prickly issue, so we may as well embrace that people will get pissy in BFC from time to time.

I'm tantalizingly close to being FI. House paid off, assets at $400,000, total net worth $730,000. This came up a lot faster than I expected it to and it's hard to imagine actually hanging up the guns in 5 years as planned.

I'm guessing a lot of people get cold feet when it's actually time.
Am I the only one confused by your assets being less than your net worth? Do people owe you a lot of money or something?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Ralith posted:

Am I the only one confused by your assets being less than your net worth? Do people owe you a lot of money or something?

I meant non-house assets. The difference between my net worth and my assets is the value of my house.

I separated them out since I can't apply the 4% withdrawal to my home.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

Actually, those estimates ended up being wildly pessimistic: spending isn't consistent month-to-month when you're moving 4-7 times a year, but based on my experience so far, I could do it comfortably and productively (by my standards) for under 15k/year. I've also seen a few places so far where I could afford to just settle down and live indefinitely, but I haven't felt like it. Maybe that would be a bit "too retired."
That's pretty impressive! What places have you been traveling to where it's that inexpensive? South America?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Blinky2099 posted:

Do you both have the option to jump right back into your occupation even with a few years off?
Husband was working minimum wage stuff before, so it would likely be me going back to work. I've taken a few years off already to start my publishing business and it went really well (hence the early retirement), but if I do decide to work again, I'd probably jump back into education. Tutoring in a HCOL area is always lucrative, and there's always demand for good math/test prep tutors.

In an ideal world, I'd make friends with enough parents that I can start teaching math again to small groups as a homeschooling parent when my kid gets to be a few years older. I'd love to develop a nontraditional curriculum that teaches math using games and puzzles. Most elementary school teachers (heck, most teachers in general) are not "math people" and I'd like to think I could do a lot better than how it's taught in schools (see Lockhart's Lament). I hated teaching the curriculum when I was a public high school teacher.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

sweet_jones posted:

I CAN, however, relate to your point on inconsistent spending and I see a consistent trend in the blogs of casually suggesting Cost of Living in Vietnam or Thailand is indicative of retirement spending forever. Any cool places you'd care to talk about? Was it difficult to find housing anywhere?

Bhodi posted:

That's pretty impressive! What places have you been traveling to where it's that inexpensive? South America?

I'll start by saying that I'm an American, and spent the five years before I started traveling in the San Francisco area, so all of my perceptions of "cheap" are affected by the current exchange rate and having been used to $3000 rent and $5 coffee. Oh, also, I've only been doing it for a little while, and my knowledge pales compared to the collective wisdom of the T&T SEA thread.

Given all that, in my experience, SEA is cheap as all heck, and great. I have been to Chiang Mai in Thailand, and Da Nang and Hoian in Vietnam, and people are absolutely right that SEA is cheap as all heck. In Chiang Mai, I followed advice to get an airbnb for a few days, and then just walk around looking for vacancies in the apartment buildings. My girlfriend really wanted one with a pool, so I ended up paying about ~$130 US per month, including utilities and internet. It would have been even less if I stayed for more than just a month. Buses (well, okay, covered pick-up trucks) are 60c per person for most rides. Food is so cheap that you feel like an idiot spending any time cooking things (though even the fancy grocery stores are so cheap, I'll still cook when I go back). If you try to find the fanciest, most expensive restaurant experience you can, it could reach $25 a person. I once paid $2 for a coffee and it came on a wooden tray with a palmier and a glass vial of sugar, what even the gently caress.

The consensus in the ~digital nomad community~ is that Chiang Mai is easy-mode, and I saw nothing to dissuade me of that. Though with the political situation, I don't plan to buy property there or anything. Vietnam I see as more stable, and even cheaper. The freshest, best banh-mi you'll ever have in your life are a buck each on the side of the road (although, of course, portions can be small and light on meat). I also found the locals easier to talk to, though it was much easier to make traveller friends in Chiang Mai. Also, you can buy a 1-year visa to vietnam for maybe ~$150 total, whereas nearly every foreigner in thailand, even people legally working there, even people retired there for decades, stay on free tourist visas and leave the country every 60 days to renew them.

These are the cheap places. You can get some more ideas about what's possible with this site. Click any city, go to the 'cost of living' tab, then look for 'expat' or 'local' cost of living numbers. They've been surprisingly accurate for me.

I mentioned the special technique I used for lodging in Chiang Mai, but really, Airbnb is all you need almost anywhere. It's not only convenient to find a place, it's also great to find a deal: you can message a bunch of places, explaining yourself and your schedule, and asking if they can bring the total price down for you. They just send you a personalized discount offer right through the site, and they'll really do it too, when you're promising a 30-90 day stay and don't sound like a serial killer or DJ.

This year so far I've planned to check out Buenos Aires, then go back to Europe for the summer. That's what I did last year, staying mostly in Berlin, which may still be my single favorite place. I was told that the rest of Germany thinks it's a dump and an embarrassment, but I found it to be a vastly-less-hosed San Francisco, and extremely affordable, I think it may be possible to stay live there for less than $1000 a month, but maybe not by me. Too much beer. But there's lots of even cheaper places in the Schengen Zone that people rave about, and I still want to spend some serious time in Canada.

My philosophy with most purchases is to first try the absolute cheapest version of something I can find and see if it's good enough for me, and that's kinda what I've been doing with places to live, although family will probably bring me back to the Bay Area eventually.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Berlin is probably my favorite city in all of Europe (possibly the world) and if I can live there long term while FI I would do it in a heartbeat. I've got four years or so to figure it out.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
I quit like 8 months back, enjoying some freedom now, trying to backpack a lot. The next time I'm this free will be middle-age retirement, and with the 2030 US great drought coming and all, I want to see my country now before it falls into major decay.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

What about communication? Do you speak Vietnamese?

I've wanted to go to Vietnam for a while (just for a vacation), but don't speak the language at all. I definitely intend to pick some up before I go, but what's the situation like there?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Blinky2099 posted:

Yeah, people reporting back with some challenges they faced after becoming FI, or unexpected things in general, or whether they now feel like they severly over or undersaved before changing jobs/retiring completely, etc. would be really interesting. Unfortunately this probably has the "look at me humblebragging" look to it which may deter people from discussing.

I took a sabbatical which is now at 8 months, if that counts.

I'm planning to go back to work soonish. What did I do and what am I doing? It won't sound that interesting, but I was never looking for a grand adventure. It was just about taking a break, resetting my mind and body, and getting the chance to do the things I couldn't squeeze in while I was working and stressed out. I travelled, I took extended visits friends out of town, I really got into weight training and fitness, yoga, hiking, biked a lot, I read a ton of books, I studied Buddhism, started to learn guitar, experimented with psychedelics, took some classes online, learned to program, I've gotten involved with my local community and some various fundraisers and local political organizations. Now I'm learning embedded hardware because I've become more and more fascinated with IoT and I think that may be the field I want to get into next.

The most unexpected things have been the mental and social benefits. I have so much more energy now. It took a few months to realize how used to being tired I was. Now I can sleep until I'm rested, whenever I need to. I feel like my brain works differently. One thing's for sure, when I do go back to work, I will try my best to prevent that permanent fatigue from setting in. Since I've stopped working, I've made a lot of new friends too. Having lots of free time and energy makes going out and doing things easy, and I never have to wonder if I should do something because I have work tomorrow. I'm 34 and I don't think I've ever had a more active social life, or more friends, and making friends in your 30's is usually pretty hard.

I got a severance package when I left my job, but without even accounting for that, my net worth has *increased* since the start of my mini-retirement, due to appreciation of my non-retirement portfolio. In total, I'm +$12k. Including my severance, I'm +$37k, with $5k more due to me at tax time. I live with two friends, so my rent is low. I spend about $2.5k a month in total. When I was travelling a lot, I spent up to $4k a month.

If I had to do it again, the one thing I would do differently is buy a house first. This would have deferred things a little, but not too much. This is very dependent on the area you live in. Where I live, in a sketchy/up and coming neighborhood of Philly, you can buy a nice home for $200-250k and get a 10 year tax abatement. The returns on a stock portfolio are higher, but you can't live in your stocks. It's nice living affordably with my friends, but I could never do this permanently.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I feel very blessed to have no desire to retire early.

You really are. I loved my work, but it also came with a lot of political and bureaucratic headache. That said, even if it was fun times, all the time, it just consumed too much time. For me at last, 40-60 hours a week is giving up too much to anything.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Vietnam is the Viet-bomb. I went Thailand>Cambodia>Vietnam>Philippines>Hong Kong>Vietnam, then Vietnam again.

I love Vietnam. The people have a weird obsession with America, and I was treated like some kind of demi-god. Invited over for dinner, invited to karaoke, invited to weddings, I did it all. Not once was I invited anywhere by a local in the 'land of smiles'. It may be that I'm just young, attractive, and friendly, but nowhere was I so well recieved as I was in Ho Chi Minh City.

So the people are awesome.

Can we talk about the food? drat don't even get me started on the food. Pho and Banh MI are just the beginning of the never ending rabbit hole of flavors. Go get lost in district >4 and look for the food stall with the most people waiting around/ the longest line. Chances are it's worth the wait.

The price, drat it's cheap. I'm a filthy white man and demanded air-con, fast internet, kitchen, bathroom, bed, everything. fully furnished. Oh and less than a 10 min walk from Bui Vien St in district 1. (the party/tourist street). $200/month. If I was willing to live in a farther district I could've got the same place for $80/month.

Too lazy to get out of bed after a wild night? Just wait for the bread lady on a bicycle to ride by with the speaker system advertising her wares. Yell your terrible Vietnamese words out the window, and she'll come put the bread directly in your mouth for an extra $1, if you develop a good relationship with her, that is.

Plus the girls are very attractive. I would argue the most attractive in the SE Asia region. (Philippines got em beat though.)

Did I mention I love Vietnam? drat, I love Vietnam. 11/10.

YMMV

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Grumpwagon posted:

What about communication? Do you speak Vietnamese?

I've wanted to go to Vietnam for a while (just for a vacation), but don't speak the language at all. I definitely intend to pick some up before I go, but what's the situation like there?

I completely failed to communicate nearly every time I tried to say even a single word in Vietnamese, but no one expected me to. English is very widely spoken and written, and people who don't speak it aren't, like, pissed that you don't speak vietnamese. It's almost a lingua franca: I heard Chinese, Japanese, and Korean tourists using it.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

just young, attractive, and friendly, but nowhere was I so well recieved as I was in Ho Chi Minh City.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Given all that, in my experience, SEA is cheap as all heck, and great. I have been to Chiang Mai in Thailand, and Da Nang and Hoian in Vietnam, and people are absolutely right that SEA is cheap as all heck. In Chiang Mai, I followed advice to get an airbnb for a few days, and then just walk around looking for vacancies in the apartment buildings. My girlfriend really wanted one with a pool, so I ended up paying about ~$130 US per month, including utilities and internet. It would have been even less if I stayed for more than just a month. Buses (well, okay, covered pick-up trucks) are 60c per person for most rides. Food is so cheap that you feel like an idiot spending any time cooking things (though even the fancy grocery stores are so cheap, I'll still cook when I go back). If you try to find the fanciest, most expensive restaurant experience you can, it could reach $25 a person. I once paid $2 for a coffee and it came on a wooden tray with a palmier and a glass vial of sugar, what even the gently caress.

The consensus in the ~digital nomad community~ is that Chiang Mai is easy-mode, and I saw nothing to dissuade me of that. Though with the political situation, I don't plan to buy property there or anything. Vietnam I see as more stable, and even cheaper. The freshest, best banh-mi you'll ever have in your life are a buck each on the side of the road (although, of course, portions can be small and light on meat). I also found the locals easier to talk to, though it was much easier to make traveller friends in Chiang Mai. Also, you can buy a 1-year visa to vietnam for maybe ~$150 total, whereas nearly every foreigner in thailand, even people legally working there, even people retired there for decades, stay on free tourist visas and leave the country every 60 days to renew them.

1) You can't buy property in Thailand as a foreigner*, unless you mean a condo unit in a building that is at least 51% Thai owned.
2) Yeah, as an expat, cooking in Thailand is something you really only do if you realy want to. The kitchen in the condo I rented was pretty much an afterthought, and by the time I got all the ingredients together I could have bought the same thing on the street for less.
3) Renting a condo from someone, rather than an apartment, will get you even cheaper utilities.
4) I agree that Thailand's friendliness is very overrated, and that's as someone who learned to speak (and read/write) it to near fluency and spent plenty of time off the beaten track. I had just as many, probably more genuine and enjoyable interactions with locals in Indonesia, Laos**, and Vietnam than I did in Thailand. It's not that Thai people are *unfriendly*, it's just not at all special in that regard.
5) Supposedly, they closed the ever-renewable tourist visa loophole in Thailand a number of years ago (like, ten at this point), but enforcement of any Thai law depends on the political climate and whim of the enforcer at the time, so I could be wrong now. Educational visas were the new thing for spuriously staying in Thailand long term, although even that has limits.

Thailand does have a separate retirement visa available provided you meet certain asset tests and are over ~50 (this annoys many FIRE/ERE types, rightfully so IMO). As far as "legally working" and "tourist visa", no, those two are mutually exclusive. Thailand does have work visas but employers need to meet certain requirements (employ a certain number of Thais already, position must pay a minimum amount, etc), in most cases the hassle means they'll pay a Thai who thinks that they can speak English rather than the other way around. Having a specific technical skill (or the right connections) are how you get one. If you want to teach English, that's another story (much easier, but doesn't pay terribly well).

Some friends of mine opened their own software company through a Board of Investment charter and it was tax-free for 8 years, at the end of that they opted to fold the company, but said there would have been nothing stopping them from simply taking all the assets and starting a company on a fresh tax-free charter had they wanted to. This was a while ago so it could have very well changed, but if you can muster $66k or whatever it is now to start a BoI company and are serious about staying in Thailand legally, it's certainly worth looking into.

Americans have or at least used to have an advantage to creating companies in Thailand (didn't need majority Thai ownership or something like that) through the Amity treaty back in the 60s. Technically it is no longer valid due to being superceded by later trade deals, but I have heard of Amity companies recieving charters into the late 00's, which was when I largely quit paying attention to Thailand (so take this information with a grain of salt).

6) Vietnam is way more chill about visas, I bought a multi-entry business visa for my trip there, simply because at the time they didn't offer a multi-entry tourist visa good for 2+ months. No questions asked, $50. Cambodia was similarly lax last I heard; when Thailand originally closed the tourist visa loophole, a lot of the riffraff moved over the border to Cambodia because you could outright buy a one year business visa for $225 or something.

*there are some workarounds with owning land via a company, but it isn't very commonly done.

** basically a dialect of Thai, to be fair

Doc Hawkins posted:

I completely failed to communicate nearly every time I tried to say even a single word in Vietnamese, but no one expected me to. English is very widely spoken and written, and people who don't speak it aren't, like, pissed that you don't speak vietnamese. It's almost a lingua franca: I heard Chinese, Japanese, and Korean tourists using it.

This. For a lot of kids they realise learning English is a way out of poverty (getting a decent-paying job in the tourism industry rather than farming, for example) so you meet some with mad hustle. I'm looking at you, Cambodian kids around Angkor Wat.

Most of my time in Vietnam was in rural parts of the north, and while very few people could speak much English and my Vietnamese was almost nonexistent, you'll be surprised how far you can get with a phrasebook, pantomime, and good intentions (on both sides).

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 11, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

1) You can't buy property in Thailand as a foreigner*, unless you mean a condo unit in a building that is at least 51% Thai owned.
I've heard that. Like I said, I'm not interested anyway.

quote:

visa stuff
The people I was talking to were either freelance journalists or worked for NGOs. They were all doing semimonthly visa runs. :shrug:

It sounds legally grey and a hassle. I'm surprised so many people do it. There are six-month re-entry visas you can get nowadays.

quote:

incorporation stuff

Huh. I find that interesting, but not attractive. I've considered incorporating in Singapore, though definitely not for the sake of residence/citizenship.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

tbh the "digital nomads" I've met in Thailand and Vietnam kinda grossed me out.
i see the appeal and logic of living in low COL countries but they tend to go "colonial" - their behavior with locals especially local women was often pretty patronizing.

and in any case, they tend to get bored after a couple years and move back home.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

shrike82 posted:

i see the appeal and logic of living in low COL countries but they tend to go "colonial" - their behavior with locals especially local women was often pretty patronizing.

and in any case, they tend to get bored after a couple years and move back home.

This is a very real and gross phenomenon which well predates e-commerce entrepreneurship. I mostly saw and heard it play out with old retired guys, but from every generation of white men some will find their creep-niche. I found it easy to avoid them at least.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

shrike82 posted:

I think in most cases moving to a society that is way below the one you came from just doesn't work, unless you're there to do some good, like volunteer or stir-up grass-roots economic activity.

Most of us need some kind of yard stick with which to judge our progress and decisions on. Moving to a second world country takes that away.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

This is a very real and gross phenomenon which well predates e-commerce entrepreneurship. I mostly saw and heard it play out with old retired guys, but from every generation of white men some will find their creep-niche. I found it easy to avoid them at least.

Old pedos often did this as well. Being a digital nomad sounds great and all but when it's done in a low cost and abusive way it's pretty seedy.

The idea of retiring in a third world nation and contributing to local projects and developments seems like a good thing to do. There are plenty of engineers who have gone to poorer nations to help develop and build infrastructure or buildings for local communities.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I feel like I might get sick of Thai food if I actually moved there and ate it at every meal.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

thai food isn't just pad thai and thailand has pretty good Japanese food given the Japanese expat population + seafood industry

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

shrike82 posted:

TBF one of the biggest risks of declaring financial independence is sequence of returns risk ("retiring" at the peak of the market and having lousy returns for the next ten years while you are withdrawing 4%.) Starting off retirement in a low COLA area helps negate that risk, and living off 1-2% off your portfolio for a few years will dramatically increase your chances of success, even if you move back home.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

No offence that's a bizarre way of thinking.

FI should involve you being where you want to be doing what you want to do. It's one thing to suggest moving to a low COL area within the States, it's another to push moving to a place like Thailand to minimize some actuarial risk of ruin. And I suspect it's the idle dream of a single guy rather than someone with a partner and/or kids because stuff like education and safety are definitely factors.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
You can get a duplex or triplex in my city in a decent area for around $300,000, compared to a single family home for about $200,000 in a somewhat nicer area. I've been thinking about buying a house anyway but was considering going for a duplex or triplex and renting out the parts me and the wife aren't using. Then eventually save up enough for a down payment on a single family home and using the whole building as a rental property. Anybody have experience doing something like that? I thought a rental property might be a good way to hedge against the lower long term growth in the stock market compared to the last century.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

OctaviusBeaver posted:

You can get a duplex or triplex in my city in a decent area for around $300,000, compared to a single family home for about $200,000 in a somewhat nicer area. I've been thinking about buying a house anyway but was considering going for a duplex or triplex and renting out the parts me and the wife aren't using. Then eventually save up enough for a down payment on a single family home and using the whole building as a rental property. Anybody have experience doing something like that? I thought a rental property might be a good way to hedge against the lower long term growth in the stock market compared to the last century.

It's a bad idea unless you want to be a landlord, truly want to be.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399 if you want to ask house-buying questions directly, it might be a better place to ask about it. Most of the answers will be like mine though. :v:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

You can do that with REITs with fewer headaches.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

What lower long term growth, don't you think a sample size of 16 years including one of the worst recessions in modern history might be a bad set on which to make sweeping future predictions

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

shrike82 posted:

I suspect it's the idle dream of a single guy rather than someone with a partner and/or kids because stuff like education and safety are definitely factors.

Fair enough, but I think it's an awesome idea for an early-thirty-something couple to do for a couple of years before they have kids. And while it's obviously very rare for a couple in their early thirties to become FI, it's still a decent option for those who pull it off.

Alternatively you could just work that extra couple of years and you'd be even more secure. Probably what I'd do because I'm lame.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Fair enough, but I think it's an awesome idea for an early-thirty-something couple to do for a couple of years before they have kids. And while it's obviously very rare for a couple in their early thirties to become FI, it's still a decent option for those who pull it off.

Alternatively you could just work that extra couple of years and you'd be even more secure. Probably what I'd do because I'm lame.

Me too, but what a sweet two years those would be not needing to give a fuuuuuuck

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Have your kids before your early 30s though. IVF treatments are BWM

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Have your kids before your early 30s though. IVF treatments are BWM

Adopt while working for a company with adoption cost benefits, then retire. GWM.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

silvergoose posted:

It's a bad idea unless you want to be a landlord, truly want to be.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399 if you want to ask house-buying questions directly, it might be a better place to ask about it. Most of the answers will be like mine though. :v:

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah once I sat down and wrote down some numbers it really didn't look as good as it did before. I'm seriously considering Vanguard's REIT fund now though.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

What lower long term growth, don't you think a sample size of 16 years including one of the worst recessions in modern history might be a bad set on which to make sweeping future predictions

It's not really based on the last 16 years, which have been fine. It's that when people say "The US stock market consistently returned 7% over the last 100 years" or something similar I'm not sure it's safe to plan on that continuing. The US stock market has had one of the highest growth rates in the world over that time, and the US has done amazingly well economically. Other stock markets, like France, have returned much lower numbers over that time period. Just because America was uniquely successful over the last century doesn't mean it will continue to be for the next century.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sundae posted:

Adopt while working for a company with adoption cost benefits, then retire. GWM.

God, BFC always wants you to buy Used.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Sundae posted:

Legitimately this is my plan. We are on schedule to be FI in about 6-7 years. My current company has a fantastic retirement plan and adoption assistance. We never planned to have any children from our own genetic cesspool. We will transition from work being work to hopefully having fun raising a kid and hopefully traveling a bunch. I'll be 36 and he will be 44 :D Depending on how well adoption goes i'd also consider fostering in our time.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

God, BFC always wants you to buy Used.

Hey, I grew up super poor and goodwill/st vincent/etc has the best stuff.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 19, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'm adopted and I think it's awesome - we want more kids than we have time, so I think we're going to try to adopt the last ones.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm adopted and I think it's awesome - we want more kids than we have time, so I think we're going to try to adopt the last ones.
Maybe you could use Adoptly to find the right one!

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/19/14319654/adoptly-tinder-for-child-adoption-app-kickstarter-parody-startup

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Legitimately this is my plan. We are on schedule to be FI in about 6-7 years. My current company has a fantastic retirement plan and adoption assistance. We never planned to have any children from our own genetic cesspool. We will transition from work being work to hopefully having fun raising a kid and hopefully traveling a bunch. I'll be 36 and he will be 44 :D Depending on how well adoption goes i'd also consider fostering in our time.

Hey, I grew up super poor and goodwill/st vincent/etc has the best stuff.

Legit plan for us here too, minus the FI. It's impossible to retire at any age where we live (late arrivals to the bay area), but we'll adopt (most likely) using our company's adoption assistance and then moving somewhere else to retire.

St. Vincent is great. The best is figuring out where the closest consignments are to stupidly wealthy neighborhoods in your area, and then raiding those for clothes and furniture. Men's clothing is hit or miss in my experience unless you like twice-used golf-shirts and dead-man suits, but women's clothing and stuff for children is usually awesome.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Watching the video. Noticed that they had the American Indian and Black/ African American ethnicity optioned turned off. Read the comments...

metrored posted:

Did anyone else notice how all the ethnicity categories were checked but Native and African American?

Posted on Jan 19, 2017 | 2:57 PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Nail Rat posted:

Can you really? Can't you buy a $300k triplex with 5% down? Then you collect the full benefit of a 6% annual return on $300k... I.e., $18k/yr. If you spend that 5% down-payment - $15k - on shares of some REIT(s), you're going to get 6% on your $15k, which is like $900/yr.

In theory, you have the risk of the market crashing and your $300k property no longer being worth $300k, but you were buying for the rental income, not the market price, so you don't care. Plus, your mortgage should get inflated away, plus, if you buy in an area that isn't going to see a horrible exodus in like 15 years*, then you'll have made enough rental income to entirely pay off your loan, so regardless of whether the market value declined, you still got a triplex for just $15k.

* - How many small-medium cities in the US have gone from being decent, normal places to complete collapse within 15 years? And that's the worst-case scenario.

I'm just not seeing how getting a bigger return on a smaller amount of money is a bad thing.