Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Genocyber posted:

Please don't play oppression Olympics, no one wins that competition.

Except ESL, poor, heterosexual, disabled, pre-op transgender, women of color who are also suffering from mental illness. They'd win, I'm pretty sure.

I know that I am extremely privileged and I am thankful and mindful of that. I'm white and middle-class (barely), thank God, and, as a trans woman, I pass as a fat, unattractive middle-aged woman. I can easily avoid being oppressed by shutting up and sitting in the shadows and I often do just that.
I know how lucky I am.

Now that everyone is finished proving a point, maybe we can get back to real news?

Like any of the many things listed here: https://www.aclu.org/other/legislation-affecting-lgbt-rights-across-country?redirect=LGBTbills

Like this poo poo:

quote:

Bills Pre-Empting Local Protections

These bills prevent cities and other local government entities from passing nondiscrimination protections that are more expansive than the protections offered at the state level, including protections for LGBT people.

MO HB 202 1/4/2017: Introduced
SC H 3012 1/10/2017: Introducd
TX SB 6 1/5/2017: Introduced
TX SB 92 11/14/2016: Prefiled
VA HB 385 1/11/2017: Active
VA HB 1667 1/5/2017: Introduced
VA HB 2011 1/10/2017: Introduced

City and County rights end where State's Rights begin but State's Rights preempt Federal government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Genocyber posted:

Please don't play oppression Olympics, no one wins that competition.

The Germans did kind of

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Like at least top 3

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

poo poo, you see that attitude plenty here on these forums!

Don't point out the privilege bisexuals have, though, that's over the line.

Unless you're being facetious, please gently caress off. Being bisexual is hardly privileged, I've been subjected to tons of hate from both hetero and gay people, though primarily homosexual men.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
You are absolutely privileged when you're in a "traditionally socially acceptable" relationship.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

there wolf posted:

How do you read an article specifically about white gay men and come to the conclusion it's about the whole community?

I'm sorry someone compared you to Milo and it hurt your feelings, but you haven't given any indication that the FYGM attitude Milo represents isn't a problem among white gay men. And either being ignorant of or ignoring that this exact same criticism has been coming from the other letters in the acronym for years now isn't helping.

I haven't given any indication it isn't a problem because I'm not arguing against it being a problem, jfc

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

You are absolutely privileged when you're in a "traditionally socially acceptable" relationship.

Having some small access to somewhat straight privilege, which some bisexuals like don't even have, doesn't detract from the fact that bisexuals face bigotry and a regime of imposed invisibility.

Also, kind of rude to assume all bisexuals are in straight relationships.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Boy I never get tired of gay people talking down to bi people because they supposedly get to choose

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Man this is just one step away from saying people in the closet are privileged.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Please indicate where I said all bisexuals are in opposite sex relationships because I have this sneaking suspicion that you are purposely putting words in my mouth in a tactic to discredit me.

If you are bisexual and you are in an opposite sex relationship do you or do you not have implied access to heterosexual privilege?

Control Volume posted:

Man this is just one step away from saying people in the closet are privileged.

There is a huge difference between engaging in a relationship with an opposite sex partner out of shame than out of mutual attraction.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 18, 2017

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
N4I often makes the mistaken assumption that he's posting in "G- The fate of fabulous folks in foreign fields."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I Killed GBS posted:

N4I often makes the mistaken assumption that he's posting in "G- The fate of fabulous folks in foreign fields."

How am I wrong?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
those bisexuals get all the breaks, why all they have to do is pass as straight is never date someone of the same gender and bury the truth from everyone

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

those bisexuals get all the breaks, why all they have to do is pass as straight is never date someone of the same gender and bury the truth from everyone

It's a good thing I didn't say that!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Please indicate where I said all bisexuals are in opposite sex relationships because I have this sneaking suspicion that you are purposely putting words in my mouth in a tactic to discredit me.

Right here, or at least that's how it comes across to me (and presumably others here):

poo poo, you see that attitude plenty here on these forums!

Don't point out the privilege bisexuals have, though, that's over the line.

I'd also argue that even in such situations it's not really privilege given that it's a benefit that relies on the views of others, i.e. them not thinking of you as bi because you're in a straight relationship.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's a good thing I didn't say that!

That's what they have to do to pass as straight and have "access to heterosexual privilege"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

If you are bisexual and you are in an opposite sex relationship do you or do you not have implied access to heterosexual privilege?

There is a huge difference between engaging in a relationship with an opposite sex partner out of shame than out of mutual attraction.

Having your identity assumed as straight is erasure, not privilege.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
After a certain point I start to worry that slotting the relationships a bisexual has into a solely heterosexual or homosexual context does a disservice to the discrimination they receive on either side of the proverbial coin

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Chelb posted:

After a certain point I start to worry that slotting the relationships a bisexual has into a solely heterosexual or homosexual context does a disservice to the discrimination they receive on either side of the proverbial coin

Right because bisexuals are treated within the community a lot the same way that mixed race individuals are treated. Not fully gay, not fully straight.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Bisexual people have the privilege of being Invisible Boy from the Mystery Men but in reverse

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
boy once we figure out the exact privilege value of every community and then finally fix this bigotry against the white man then maybe we can talk about news like the flood of bigoted bills being drafted nearly as soon as trump won on both state and federal level. Haha won't their faces be red when I explain to them that the person they're forcing into homelessness to die on the street is actually slightly higher on the chain of who gets the most poo poo than someone else.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Isn't a gender neutral restroom just a restroom.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Hollismason posted:

Typically, yes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hollismason posted:

well that's how it's been since the beginning and all, but now a bunch of people wanted to give morons free pass to harass anyone in the bathroom who looks a little butch or whatever so now we apparently have to say 'HEY THE TOILET IN HERE DOESN'T CARE WHAT BITS YOU HAVE'

Also in news, the Canadian BLM Pride protest seemed to work

http://www.cp24.com/news/vote-held-at-pride-toronto-agm-to-ban-police-floats-from-future-parades-1.3245883

Despite the cops pretending they don't know what it means it seems pretty obvious

quote:

“Perhaps a cavalcade of sirens and inmate buses and vehicles is not the most appropriate way to participate in the parade. Nowhere in what I just said is that it is not appropriate to participate.”

they don't want cops in the parade showing off cop bullshit in some weird strongman thing.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Its actually a portal to untold debauchery and lust, waiting to snatch unsuspecting victims and corrupting their mind with The Transgender Agenda

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Debate & Discussion › QUILTBAG - "It's pronounced 'Circular Firing Squad,' you phoneto-opressor!"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Its actually a portal to untold debauchery and lust, waiting to snatch unsuspecting victims and corrupting their mind with The Transgender Agenda

...go on

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

boy once we figure out the exact privilege value of every community and then finally fix this bigotry against the white man then maybe we can talk about news like the flood of bigoted bills being drafted nearly as soon as trump won on both state and federal level. Haha won't their faces be red when I explain to them that the person they're forcing into homelessness to die on the street is actually slightly higher on the chain of who gets the most poo poo than someone else.

when did we add this to the quiltbag agenda?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

stone cold posted:

probably since the start because, ya know, LGBT homelessness has always been a pretty critical issue?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

joat mon posted:

Debate & Discussion › QUILTBAG - "It's pronounced 'Circular Firing Squad,' you phoneto-opressor!"

This is why we keep losing. No unified front, but we all know that and it is always someone else's fault, not mine, because I'm better than that.

Edit: part of this is sarcasm. I'll leave you to decide which.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

NAh we're all squabbling in here but I think the only group that has a more unified front than LGBT people is black people right now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

stone cold posted:

A whole, whole lot of homeless young people are the result of monstrous parents disowning their LGBT kids.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't want to speak for her, but I don't think that was what Steve meant.

Woops yeah, I might've just misread a joke there, might as well leave the rest up in case not though.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 19, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah, what I meant was when did the elite cartel of the commodity of quiltbag come together and decide to toss youths out?

I am very much aware of the LGBT youth homeless issue :sigh:

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Not sure if it's already been posted, and I'm not willing to go back through howeverthefuck many pages of bickering to find it, but this explains it pretty well: http://thenib.com/nyc-lgbt-homeless

Oh, and at the risk of being dragged into said bickering, I think that having compassion and empathy is pretty neat, and we should keep others experiences and stories in mind when discussing things with them, because their experiences don't always mirror yours.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You get to have people assume you're straight for as long as they only see you in opposite sex relationships.

Whether that is good for you is rather up to you. It depends on how comfortable you are being defined by public perception.

I suppose if you're never planning on having a same sex relationship then you don't have to worry about the backlash you'll get when you do?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
So how is everyone going to spend their last day of freedom tomorrow? I was thinking of hitting up the shooting range, just to get ready for when they come for us on Friday.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Same old, beat off, talk to goons on discord, probably eat some soup and play some games.

Cheeto golem can blow me if their horse poo poo is gonna try and ruin my days.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

there wolf posted:

This is criticism that has been brought up repeatedly by the rest of the LGBTQ community for a long time now. White gay men are the least oppressed out of any queers, and a lot of them are oblivious, ladder-pulling assholes happy to rest on the rights their predecessors bled for because they're cushioned with privileges of race and gender.

Is that all white, gay men? No, but if it ain't about you then it ain't about you. And if you're just learning about this criticism from a college student's Huffpo piece then that's you being ill-informed, not some new form of gay-bashing.

I'm not trying to deny that gay white men have privilege, I'm just taking issue with some of the specific attitudes displayed in that article. I've read plenty of articles on intersectionality in the LGBT community that do not make all sorts of absurd, unfounded claims like this guy does.

LGBT support for Trump was very low, somewhere in the 15-25% range depending on what exit poll you look at. I'm sure gay white men specifically voted for him at a higher rate but there's no data on that at all. So from the outset this guy is writing an article about a supposed trend of Trump support among gay white men without any hard evidence whatsoever to suggest that this trend even exists. Milo is not just unrepresentative of gay white men as a whole but has explicitly disavowed the LGBT community and is probably the dumbest possible anecdote you could choose.

He then goes on to blame issues among gay men like the obsession with masculinity specifically on gay white men for some reason when those issues cut across races. Why would one assume that white gay men specifically have more of an issue with misogyny rather than men as a whole?

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

You do not, at least not in the company of your many gay friends, who go out of their way to wistfully state how they wish they could stop loving their own sex when it becomes socially unacceptable to do so. And before you go "well, that's just like, your opinion man", I can only talk about my own life, not whatever constellations of privilege some far-removed academic type has dreamed up for me.

• Locked thread