Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

Koodo has Feb 8th as their Nougat release date. Rogers (and the others, to be fair) does a terrible job of updating their software update time frame and Canadian carriers are almost certainly going to launch within a day of each other.

I really really hope you're right. I'm currently complaining to my enterprise account manager about how bad they are at timely security updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

This is my favorite from the Note 7's on reddit

The fan on the back of it is laughable

"My new 🔥 headset. Bought all this for only $50. No SIM, no updates, no problems."

People are doing the same thing for their Pixels with the Daydream headset.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Pretty sure it's only the XL that overheats in Daydream. My PIxel isn't that hot after a 30 minute session.

Then again it looks like dot matrix and I'll probably never use it again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Personally I find the Pixel buttons very stiff and firm, no rockiness or unsteady clicks at all, I'm very satisfied every time I push a button. I'm a huge prick

I know this is a joke, but because of this joke the first thing I did was check the buttons on my Pixel XL. While the entire phone is the best Android device ever, the buttons are also just so satisfying to click. They do have some front-to-back motion (nothing like the poster driven insane by it) but the firmness and positive click response is perfect and the texturing is great.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

n.. posted:

Pretty sure it's only the XL that overheats in Daydream. My PIxel isn't that hot after a 30 minute session.

Then again it looks like dot matrix and I'll probably never use it again.

Mine gets pretty hot, but absolutely agree that it looks real bad and is pretty useless.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

For fifty bucks I'm almost tempted to buy one myself and see if I can physically remove the battery, gently caress around with it on permanent USB power. :science: Eat it, Raspberry Pi.

I wonder if next year we're gonna see a Samsung smart toaster with a suspiciously Note 7 sized screen.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 18, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

rotaryfun posted:

This is my favorite from the Note 7's on reddit

The fan on the back of it is laughable

"My new 🔥 headset. Bought all this for only $50. No SIM, no updates, no problems."

People are strapping this thing onto their faces? WTF is wrong with them?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Surprised no one's talking about the Galaxy S8 leak:

I guess the fingerprint sensor moves to the rear and good luck with that inadvertent touch rejection.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

I guess the fingerprint sensor moves to the rear and good luck with that inadvertent touch rejection.

I can't tell if the curved edge is more like the S7 edge or the Note 7. If it's the latter then it will be much better.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Rear fingerprint scanners rule and are the best kind, this phone looks awesome. Too bad Samsung is going to ruin the software. Bring back Google Play Edition phones imo

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Also I don't like just posting links like android.rss but people asking about OnePlus phones comes up enough I feel it's justified. Apparently the OnePlus 3/3T has horrible touch latency. Look at this loving lag, people! This is 2012-era garbage:

https://twitter.com/hallstephenj/status/821768472996835328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

It's like I showed you my tits for nothing!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I hope the galaxy 8s have the exact same battery issues.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Samsung has basically been debloating TouchWiz since the Galaxy s5. It's still dumb but it's nowhere near as much of a nuisance as it used to be

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

Samsung has basically been debloating TouchWiz since the Galaxy s5. It's still dumb but it's nowhere near as much of a nuisance as it used to be

Correct, Touchwiz Grace UX is not the problem anymore. It's actually quite nice and even has some items I prefer over stock. The problem (for me, a dealkiller) is updates. New versions of Android simply either do not come out, or are ridiculously delayed. Delays can be 6mo-year for major OS releases, or 4-6+ months for a monthly security patch. It's unacceptable.

I am forced to use a Samsung device for work so I have to deal with this, but for a personal phone I will never not get a Nexus/Pixel anymore.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Didn't they patent some "under the front glass" fingerprint sensor or some poo poo?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Sad to see the capacitive buttons go the way of the hardware keyboard, that whole swiping up to access the buttons on the Pixel is pretty annoying. But it was inevitable considering every other manufacturer has already gone that route.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

Sad to see the capacitive buttons go the way of the hardware keyboard, that whole swiping up to access the buttons on the Pixel is pretty annoying. But it was inevitable considering every other manufacturer has already gone that route.

Uh, you only swipe up to reveal the buttons if your Pixel/Nexus enters "immersion mode" which is not even close to all the time, it's only for a fullscreen video or certain games.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

In other (sadly familiar) news, Android Authority evidently doesn't care if the USB-C accessories they recommend gently caress up your Pixel.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, you only swipe up to reveal the buttons if your Pixel/Nexus enters "immersion mode" which is not even close to all the time, it's only for a fullscreen video or certain games.

I'm aware, it's still annoying compared to the invisible buttons on my Note 4. I'm not pretending it's an objective fact, just stating my preference and lamenting the loss.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Desk Lamp posted:

Capacitive buttons are one of the reasons I don't consider Samsung phones.

But I'm guessing they're going to gently caress with the software buttons and put them in the wrong order anyway.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So if I need a USB C to C cable and don't want to pay Google or Apple $40 CAD for the official ones, are there any actually safe ones out there?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

So if I need a USB C to C cable and don't want to pay Google or Apple $40 CAD for the official ones, are there any actually safe ones out there?

Anything rated 1 and up in the spreadsheet below should be ok to buy. The Anker A8181011 is cheap enough and should be fine (it's a 1 I believe mainly because it's still USB2.0 and data speed is 'only' 480mbps, but that shouldn't matter if it's just used for charging).

E: I'm an idiot and forgot to post the link to the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 19, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that 3ft Anker is the cheap safe option.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, that 3ft Anker is the cheap safe option.

Perfect, I'll get a couple. Yeah, I don't care about speeds, this is charging only.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Desk Lamp posted:

I'm aware, it's still annoying compared to the invisible buttons on my Note 4. I'm not pretending it's an objective fact, just stating my preference and lamenting the loss.

I felt the same way coming from the S6 Edge.

That was a really nice phone to hold and use

I have gotten used to the on screen buttons though, not ideal but its not really that much of a loss

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Buy a Note 7 on Craigslist for $50
Call Samsung, tell them you got it as a gift
Mail to them via RMA process
Receive check a month later for $900 (or whatever full retail is)

This is a true story, folks.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
So Samsung finally stopped being stupid and followed the design of the Galaxy Nexus they made 6 years ago? Well I guess that literally is more than I expected from them. :v:

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
Tablets for kids: what are my options that're likely to not drive me batshit insane?

The Android tablet market seems like a bit of a mess now. Are there good options, ideally ruggedized for desert conditions with melted chocolate and peanut butter mixed in, possibly with a little milk for strong bones?

Are there any ways of locking down an Android tablet to keep it in one application?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Magog posted:

So Samsung finally stopped being stupid and followed the design of the Galaxy Nexus they made 6 years ago? Well I guess that literally is more than I expected from them. :v:

I'm as big a Samsung hater as there is but I definitely understand their point of view. As they see it, they're the only OEM making any money selling Androids and their devices have (for the most part) always looked the same. Why chase styling trends when your devices are selling as they are?

There's also the fact that they believe their software is preferable to "stock" Android and you'd think that attitude would extend to their design as well. Their buttons aren't in the "wrong" order, they're in the superior Samsung order. Their software isn't eye-searing ugly, it's in the "Samsung aesthetic", etc. They've also got actual repeat users who expect poo poo to be all hosed up and people hate change even when it's for the best.

Combine the attitudes of "Don't fix what isn't broken" and "People don't like Android, they like Samsung" and you get the well-known fact that Samsung doesn't give a gently caress about the Android ecosystem. It's common knowledge that they were ready to do an Amazon-like fork back before everyone caught on that their poo poo was garbage and they had to come back into the fold enough to make Google sell off Motorola. Now it's pretty obvious they don't have the brand cachet to go their own way and they're stuck with being second-fiddle in the Android ecosystem so they're making concessions.

There's also the rumors that the next iPhone will get rid of their button and let's face it, Samsung is going to do everything they can to beat them to market with "identical" features. Cargo culting Apple is the only thing they do. (It's well known that the Note7 was rushed to market to capitalize on the rumors that the iPhone 7 was going to be a minor revision that would likely be unexciting. That means you can do things like skipping testing the battery.) If there's anything you can be sure of it's that Samsung will be getting rid of the headphone jack (COURAGE!) and doing whatever the rumors suggest Apple will be doing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Melraidin posted:

Are there any ways of locking down an Android tablet to keep it in one application?

Assuming it hasn't been removed in whatever weird software a modern tablet would run, there's the app pinning option in the task switcher. There hasn't been a tablet with stock Android for a while though and task switchers are one of the things almost every OEM fucks with so who knows if the option is there.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I'm as big a Samsung hater as there is but I definitely understand their point of view. As they see it, they're the only OEM making any money selling Androids and their devices have (for the most part) always looked the same. Why chase styling trends when your devices are selling as they are?

There's also the fact that they believe their software is preferable to "stock" Android and you'd think that attitude would extend to their design as well. Their buttons aren't in the "wrong" order, they're in the superior Samsung order. Their software isn't eye-searing ugly, it's in the "Samsung aesthetic", etc. They've also got actual repeat users who expect poo poo to be all hosed up and people hate change even when it's for the best.

Combine the attitudes of "Don't fix what isn't broken" and "People don't like Android, they like Samsung" and you get the well-known fact that Samsung doesn't give a gently caress about the Android ecosystem. It's common knowledge that they were ready to do an Amazon-like fork back before everyone caught on that their poo poo was garbage and they had to come back into the fold enough to make Google sell off Motorola. Now it's pretty obvious they don't have the brand cachet to go their own way and they're stuck with being second-fiddle in the Android ecosystem so they're making concessions.

There's also the rumors that the next iPhone will get rid of their button and let's face it, Samsung is going to do everything they can to beat them to market with "identical" features. Cargo culting Apple is the only thing they do. (It's well known that the Note7 was rushed to market to capitalize on the rumors that the iPhone 7 was going to be a minor revision that would likely be unexciting. That means you can do things like skipping testing the battery.) If there's anything you can be sure of it's that Samsung will be getting rid of the headphone jack (COURAGE!) and doing whatever the rumors suggest Apple will be doing.

Isn't it rumored that Samsung is the only manufacturer actually keeping the headphone jack?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Isn't it rumored that Samsung is the only manufacturer actually keeping the headphone jack?

I've heard both, though the one I heard last is that they're keeping it.

I hope they do keep it, just because it's the right call plus it's not just ripping off Apple. They're moving in the right direction for sure in this regard though. They're starting to have their own unique and identifiable style what with the curved screen and edge display and getting rid of the lone (looking) physical button on the front will finally excise the last remnant of iPhone copycatting from a hardware point of view.

I'd argue they still need a lot less of the duplication of services from Android (their bespoke payment system, VR system, wearable system, charging standard, etc) and some actually-useful innovation of their own, but they're definitely not the worst hardware partner possible like they were four years ago.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Melraidin posted:

Tablets for kids: what are my options that're likely to not drive me batshit insane?

The Android tablet market seems like a bit of a mess now. Are there good options, ideally ruggedized for desert conditions with melted chocolate and peanut butter mixed in, possibly with a little milk for strong bones?

We use the fire tablet for kids. I don't know if it's the best option anymore but it comes with a longer warranty, a foam cover, and is really cheap. The way it works is that there's an adult profile and a kids profile and if you're on the kids side you need a pin/password to leave it. Only the adult profile can download/install apps and it can set which apps can appear on the kids side or not. My only issue with is it ours is slow but it's a few years old now and there may have been an updated version since then.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CFox posted:

We use the fire tablet for kids. I don't know if it's the best option anymore but it comes with a longer warranty, a foam cover, and is really cheap. The way it works is that there's an adult profile and a kids profile and if you're on the kids side you need a pin/password to leave it. Only the adult profile can download/install apps and it can set which apps can appear on the kids side or not. My only issue with is it ours is slow but it's a few years old now and there may have been an updated version since then.

I'd say the same thing. They even make a "kids" version, which is the regular tablet in a bumper, but with a good protection plan thrown in (though they are cheap enough to be disposable, so...).

I've kept telling my sister to buy them instead of whatever fragile or crappy tablet her kids are currently breaking, but you can't install the YouTube Kids app on them and that's apparently a must for her.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Finally got a 3t to replace my half busted Nexus 6.

This phone feels like a phone for ants compared to my last one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So I read up on exactly WHY you shouldn't use an eMarked cable with a Qualcomm or Samsung charger. Basically, when those chargers enter their proprietary voltage modes, they send out of spec voltage to the IC embedded in the cable. In this case, they actually only send a very small amount of voltage. It keeps the IC in a constant state of brownout which can eventually fry it. This goes for both A or C chargers.

Now, the charger should have to be triggered into the proprietary mode in order for this to happen. So, if you don't attach a phone that supports one of those modes to it, the cable SHOULD be fine.

To be fully safe though, the takeaway should be to only use dumb (non-emarked) cables on Qualcomm Quick Chargers or Samsung Adaptive Fast chargers. For the most part, not many A-C cables are emarked. For C-C cables, I would stick to the USB 2.0 cables as those are unlikely to be emarked. Basically, it's a requirement for a cable to be emarked if it meets the full USB-PD spec (so up to 5A/100w). However, 3A cables can also be emarked (it seems, particularly thunderbolt cables.)

TLDR, emarking is optional to a certain point where it comes requirement. QC 2.0/3.0 and Samsung Adaptive Fast Charge chargers can damage emarked cables when used in their proprietary charging modes. Use only the cable that came with the charger or a 'dumb' cable with them, especially when charging a device that supports one of their fast charge modes.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

[USB-C FUCKERY]

At this point I think I just want proprietary plugs back instead. :lol:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Is that why my Samsung charger fried the battery on my DualShock 4 :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

At this point I think I just want proprietary plugs back instead. :lol:

Well at this point everything is de facto proprietary but in what is only possible in the worst sort of reality, the connectors themselves are universal. I think the best (worst?) part is that there's no end in sight for this clusterfuck, it's only going to get worse from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

I've kept telling my sister to buy them instead of whatever fragile or crappy tablet her kids are currently breaking, but you can't install the YouTube Kids app on them and that's apparently a must for her.

Installing the Play Store on a Fire tablet is easy