Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not really good to see that Manny is starting that low. Those positive drug tests are probably going to keep him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

will_colorado posted:

also Thome, Rolen, and Vizquel

Thome will definitely get in though probably not first ballot, but IMO neither Rolen nor Vizquel get anywhere near.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
FINALLY

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Omar's elite glove probably won't make up for the fact that he was a slightly below average hitter. But Ozzie Smith is in, so I suppose anything is possible.

Also, not surprisingly, the unannounced votes trended away from Edgar :smith:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/Pudge_Rodriguez/status/821858193303343104

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

likewise

https://twitter.com/jonahkeri/status/821863216615714816

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Pudge :unsmith:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Two Astros elected into the Hall in one year :toot:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/tigers/status/821855947136110592

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I love these videos so much.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yay Bagwell

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/Marlins/status/821855870535499776

:smuggo:

They should have actually put the Florida Marlins colors in the background

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Should have had Marlins Man back there somewhere

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Question: why haven't the Rangers retired more numbers? They've played in Arlington for 45 years, surely they think more than two guys deserve the honor.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

iospace posted:

Here's my question, why won't they vote for him? He's 2nd all time for saves, first to break 600, but is it the lack of a ring that's making it hard for him?
Who cares about saves?

He wasn't good enough. There are a lot of great starters that didn't get in, lot of great position players, and it should be a much higher standard for relief pitchers to get in. He's getting in way before Mussina, if Mussina even does end up getting in (although I think he's trending well). Being 2nd in a bullshit stat shouldn't count for a lot.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

The 5% rule is such bullshit. hosed over Jim Edmonds last year.

GoutPatrol posted:

Kenny Lofton too.
If they weren't able to get 5% (Lofton got 3.2, Edmonds 2.6%, I can't find what Posada got), I don't like their chances of getting 75% in 10 years. Even the real slow movers who got in like Blyleven and now Raines started much higher, and Blyleven got in when they were doing 15 years and not 10. Who started with <10% and got in on the writers vote?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh hey just noticed Schilling's totals took a big dive

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Who cares about saves?

He wasn't good enough. There are a lot of great starters that didn't get in, lot of great position players, and it should be a much higher standard for relief pitchers to get in. He's getting in way before Mussina, if Mussina even does end up getting in (although I think he's trending well). Being 2nd in a bullshit stat shouldn't count for a lot.

If Hoffman isn't good enough then you're inducting one more reliever into the Hall, ever. Is that how high your "higher standard" is?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

Two Astros elected into the Hall in one year :toot:

https://twitter.com/cardinals/status/552550478505340929

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I was just being cheeky, the fact that so many teams are doing this is hilarious

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

I was just being cheeky, the fact that so many teams are doing this is hilarious

I know :)

but any chance to bust out that tweet is worth taking

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I don't find any issues with teams that had a HoFer play 1 season with them giving a tribute. As long as they don't act as if the guy was a major part of the team history, or something.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

If they weren't able to get 5% (Lofton got 3.2, Edmonds 2.6%, I can't find what Posada got), I don't like their chances of getting 75% in 10 years. Even the real slow movers who got in like Blyleven and now Raines started much higher, and Blyleven got in when they were doing 15 years and not 10. Who started with <10% and got in on the writers vote?

I was reading the complaint more about the current glut of players because of the whole steroids deal, even guys who use all 10 of their votes have to leave off players they might have considered if there were space to. Posnanski left off Vlad this year and he absolutely loves him.

There obviously aren't enough voters like that out there to actually get a guy like Posada into the hall and I don't think he deserves to go, but it does feel weird that he didn't stick around a few years.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Intruder posted:

Oh hey just noticed Schilling's totals took a big dive

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I don't even know if I buy Rolen as an eventual HoFer, let alone first ballot

I think he's borderline at best, particularly since he's first eligible at the same time as Chipper Jones which can only hurt him by comparison. Then again, his career stats look eerily similar to Ryne Sandberg sometimes. Second base versus third base and all, but still.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

If Hoffman isn't good enough then you're inducting one more reliever into the Hall, ever. Is that how high your "higher standard" is?
There is an argument to be made for that, yes. Jonah Keri has made it recently. It boils down to the assertion that nearly all relief pitchers are essentially failed starters, and that very good starting pitchers could be excellent relief pitchers if they were to switch.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does Purge go in as a Ranger or a Marlin?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Clearly he's going in as a Yankee.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

Clearly he's going in as a Yankee.

Duh.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The most Curt tweets

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Pudge Rodriguez is freakin ownage

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

15% jump = giant :unsmith:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Edgar has 2 years left and I think 2018 will be his year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

kensei posted:

Edgar has 2 years left and I think 2018 will be his year.
He's not going to get a big enough jump in one year. Like Raines, he will make it with his final year bump.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Posada was an above average to good but not great player who played for really good teams.

His highest career OPS/OPS+ came at age 35 (lol steroids). The only offensive category he ever led the league in was GIDP and defensively for the three times he led the league in putouts and twice in assists, he also allowed the most stolen bases against once and passed balls twice.

Jorge Posada is in no world a HOFer and I'm glad he fell off the ballot.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Chief McHeath posted:

Posada was an above average to good but not great player who played for really good teams.

His highest career OPS/OPS+ came at age 35 (lol steroids). The only offensive category he ever led the league in was GIDP and defensively for the three times he led the league in putouts and twice in assists, he also allowed the most stolen bases against once and passed balls twice.

Counter-point: eat poo poo

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

bawfuls posted:

There is an argument to be made for that, yes. Jonah Keri has made it recently. It boils down to the assertion that nearly all relief pitchers are essentially failed starters, and that very good starting pitchers could be excellent relief pitchers if they were to switch.
Even if you honestly took a legit HHOF level starter and made him a reliever it's still making him less valuable. The reason teams don't do that is because it would just lessen their impact on the game.

And really, when we say reliever we really mean closer, the closer position hasn't existed for ~that~ long (so it can be a bit like the DH argument), they've made a few terrible choices already related to putting in relievers, and they're going to put in Rivera who played at basically the same time. They don't even always put in 2 third basemen per generation. At the same time I also don't buy him being that exceptional. Was he really anywhere close to Rivera? I'd say no. Very good argument he wasn't 2nd best, either. Was he better than Wagner? Flash Gordon? Let alone "ever", like there's never going to be a good closer again.

My higher standard would be comparing him to SPs/position players who aren't getting in where I don't see how any critical man can justify him on their ballot. Rivera, you could actually see people taking him over a borderline starter.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Purge go in as a Ranger or a Marlin?

Ranger and its not even that hard a decision IMO

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

will_colorado posted:

also Thome, Rolen, and Vizquel

Thome, yes. Probably not the other 2.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Arguably, the proper metric for evaluating closers on a career basis is WPA not WAR or Saves. In that context, Rivera really does stand head and shoulders above the field. Here is a list of all-time WPA leaders among relief pitchers

Top 10:
Mo - 55.75
Hoffman - 32.78
Gossage - 31.69
Nathan - 30.73
Billy Wagner - 28.40
Papelbon - 28.25
KRod - 27.03
Lee Smith - 24.36
Troy Percival - 22.34 (who?)
Keith Loulke - 21.46 (who?)

Eckersley doesn't show up on this filter because he spent time as a starter, but in his years as a closer his WPA total was 33.37.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

Posada played catcher for most of his 17 year career with an OPS+ of 121 and lead a loaded rear end Yankees team in WAR twice

• Locked thread