Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TheWevel posted:

edit: All I'm saying is the the newish Mustang seems like a good base to make a sedan with. Kill the Fusion. It's ugly and way too boring.

In brown too please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What's with the drivers headrest on the VW?

It's the same as the passenger one but the leather's loosened up? :raise:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

In a promo shot? Seems odd.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I think the sides bend to "mold" around the back of your head. The rear ones seem to do it too, but they are laid flat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

savesthedayrocks posted:

I think the sides bend to "mold" around the back of your head. The rear ones seem to do it too, but they are laid flat.

Similar to some airplane seats, I think.

That thing will sell more examples than the manual Golf Sportwagen AWD in the US.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Digital gauges own. That new mustang looks huge though

I like physical ones more, but everything is electronic these days anyway so it's not like there's really a difference. :v:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I like physical ones more, but everything is electronic these days anyway so it's not like there's really a difference. :v:

Digital means they can use the same LCD as every other car they sell, instead of having different physical objects with different typefaces for each model.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Digital means they can use the same LCD as every other car they sell, instead of having different physical objects with different typefaces for each model.

Yeah, but what I was attempting to say is that my ingrained notions that physical ones are "better" or "more reliable" than all electronic/lcd ones is largely erroneous because all the physical ones are electronic to begin with, they aren't analog at all.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Yeah, but what I was attempting to say is that my ingrained notions that physical ones are "better" or "more reliable" than all electronic/lcd ones is largely erroneous because all the physical ones are electronic to begin with, they aren't analog at all.

The 2012 Mustangs did something really slick with the backlighting on the tachometer, in that the backlighting would flash bright red if you hit the redline.

https://i.bf1c.us/vines/videos/1147180104804438016.mp4

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Growing up in an age where the first digital speedometers were less than reliable tends to color your outlook on today's digital gauge clusters, even if they're 100x more reliable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It also means you can customize them quite a bit. I liked that about the Cherokee display.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The 2012 Mustangs did something really slick with the backlighting on the tachometer, in that the backlighting would flash bright red if you hit the redline.

The s550(2015+) dash still does this. Also you can set the dash to be any color when your lights are on.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Digital speedos would also be nice in cities like Chicago where there are speed cameras set up over much of the city that automatically send a ticket in the mail if you are radared going just 5 MPH over the speed limit. :(

I find it totally dangerous in these areas because I am staring/glancing at my speedo needle like a hawk every second when I am near a camera to keep from getting tagged. (I've been tagged before, it is such a frustrating sinking feeling to see that camera flash away your money)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Right now no one is doing the LCD dash better than Audi. Virtual Cockpit really is amazing. Curious to see the 2.0 version in the A8; I wonder how google earth is going to look with their new UI though.

Edit: no idea why I quoted that post.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Buhbuhj posted:

The s550(2015+) dash still does this. Also you can set the dash to be any color when your lights are on.

Do you have the premium interior? My '12 premium has that, but the '16 I rented didn't.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Buhbuhj posted:

Not if you don't have the premium pack.. 😒

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Mazda apparently doing some weird diesel poo poo with their gas motors next year?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a32301/mazda-gasoline-engine-compression-ignition-skyactiv/

Anyone have any idea what this would mean in a practical sense?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Mazda apparently doing some weird diesel poo poo with their gas motors next year?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a32301/mazda-gasoline-engine-compression-ignition-skyactiv/

Best hope they engineered it right.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

If i had to guess, i would imagine HPFP problems every 30,000 miles

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I thought Infiniti wanted to be the Japanese BMW. :v:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I hope I'm wrong, but that sounds like a reliability disaster waiting to happen...

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
GM had prototypes of such an engine running around 5 or 10 years ago. The problem is the same problem the diesels have - high compression ratios produce too many NOx emissions and you would need at least urea injection to keep them compliant. IIRC GM decided it wasn't worth the effort and expense for a minor improvement in fuel economy.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I thought Infiniti wanted to be the Japanese BMW. :v:

No; Infiniti is Nissan, which is the Chrysler of Japan. So I guess the best Infiniti could be is... Plymouth? Does Chrysler even have a luxury brand that wasn't imported from Fiat?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

GM had prototypes of such an engine running around 5 or 10 years ago. The problem is the same problem the diesels have - high compression ratios produce too many NOx emissions and you would need at least urea injection to keep them compliant. IIRC GM decided it wasn't worth the effort and expense for a minor improvement in fuel economy.

Don't know if it's true, but Mazda is claiming 30% better economy.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Raluek posted:

No; Infiniti is Nissan, which is the Chrysler of Japan. So I guess the best Infiniti could be is... Plymouth? Does Chrysler even have a luxury brand that wasn't imported from Fiat?

Looking at just the American brands, Chrysler IS Chrysler's luxury brand. It was always upmarket of Dodge and Plymouth.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Q_res posted:

Looking at just the American brands, Chrysler IS Chrysler's luxury brand. It was always upmarket of Dodge and Plymouth.

Haha, that's kind of funny to think of. Chrysler, trying to be luxury. I can accept them being their Oldsmobile, but I don't imagine they'd ever be able to pull off a Cadillac.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

GM also decided the 25 cent ignition switch fix wasn't worth the effort and expense for a minor improvement in survivability.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

https://i.bf1c.us/vines/videos/1147180104804438016.mp4
The new ones do the same thing, at least on the premiums which support RGB back lighting on the gauges.

Buhbuhj posted:

Yeah. AFAIK only the premiums support this "MyColor" setup.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I really hate how digital dashes light up your face at night and one of the recent-ish (2014?) mercedes I drove had the speedo be just the tip of the needle and seemingly not as well lit as the rest of the dash so I just used the digital speedo because the analog one was impossible to pick up in peripheral vision.

They need to bring back saab's night mode for picky assholes like me, I guess. Or eventually this problem might be solved when we all have oled panels as standard?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Raluek posted:

:ssh:

Infiniti's Boss Wants The Brand To Be The Japanese Answer To BMW

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Right now no one is doing the LCD dash better than Audi. Virtual Cockpit really is amazing. Curious to see the 2.0 version in the A8; I wonder how google earth is going to look with their new UI though.

Edit: no idea why I quoted that post.

I got dragged around to all the car dealers with my dad over winter break and the q5 was really shameful, same thing with the qx70 (infiniti). Looking now I guess the big technology upgrade for it is in 2018 and TBA for infiniti.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Except that guy's at Cadillac now

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Q_res posted:

Now he's trying to make Cadillac the American Japanese BMW.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raluek posted:

Haha, that's kind of funny to think of. Chrysler, trying to be luxury. I can accept them being their Oldsmobile, but I don't imagine they'd ever be able to pull off a Cadillac.

They used to have the Imperial line as their Cadillac equivalent, but it withered and died by 1980 or so. The name reappeared briefly in the 90s, but as just a model name.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well now you can buy a Maserati with a Dodge Caravan engine so it all worked out in the end.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Q_res posted:

remember, Chrysler is America's Import!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Q_res posted:

Which explains why Cadillac is now trying to be the Japanese version of BMW. Narrower cars, over engineered, maintenance nightmares and the SUV is by far the top selling model.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

hifi posted:

I really hate how digital dashes light up your face at night and one of the recent-ish (2014?) mercedes I drove had the speedo be just the tip of the needle and seemingly not as well lit as the rest of the dash so I just used the digital speedo because the analog one was impossible to pick up in peripheral vision.

They need to bring back saab's night mode for picky assholes like me, I guess. Or eventually this problem might be solved when we all have oled panels as standard?

I want to turn off the dash too! My VWs touchscreen was so bright even at the dimmest setting it would be distracting.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Raluek posted:

Imperial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Raluek posted:

Imperial

Edit: :argh: