Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Nuebot posted:

Disabling achivements is really annoying and it makes me way more irritated than it should when a game does it.

I turned on God Mode in SRIV, saw what it did for about five minutes, then turned is back off. Achievements were permanently disabled in that save but I didn't figure that out until about 10 hours of play time later when I wondered why no achievements has popped and checked.

Edit: crap, top of page.

Uh, I love games that go the extra mile to build fantastic controller and K+M support. Some games go one way like Victor Vran which seems to favor controllers.
The best games for this are Divinity Original Sin and The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. Both of these games have almost completely different interfaces for controller vs K+M with each optimized for that interface.
Yes, I like ARPGs because FPSes give me motion sickness.

Aleph Null has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Jan 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Divinity Original Sin also has some nice little moments in it, like when you realize that you can hot swap characters while others are in conversations, allowing you to keep a merchant distracted whilst you power loot his inventory, or some big bad is engaged in diatribe you can position the rest of your party and if you are so inclined can use one of their attacks to disrupt the talk and get right to the murdering.

Co-op with a friend has been a blast because I will engage a big baddie in dialogue and they will begin casting elemental spells to prep for a giant poison to fire to steam to electricity elemental fist loving for our new nemesis.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
wrong thread

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Aleph Null posted:

Uh, I love games that go the extra mile to build fantastic controller and K+M support. Some games go one way like Victor Vran which seems to favor controllers.
The best games for this are Divinity Original Sin and The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. Both of these games have almost completely different interfaces for controller vs K+M with each optimized for that interface.
Yes, I like ARPGs because FPSes give me motion sickness.

Final Fantasy XIV is great for this, with a really good (if typical) M+KB interface and an entirely different interface that's also really good for controllers. Apparently the controller setup is so good for jobs like Monk that you're a fool if you have the option and don't take it on them, which is crazy to hear from an MMO.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Dishonored 2: Bonecharm crafting is amazing. I've now got the max stack of sneak speed modifiers so I'm as fast sneaking as regular walking/running.I also have a very good chance of recovering my sleep darts after use, which is great because my Non-lethal run just got to no-powersville. Sadly I'll need to do another run for clean hands because I apparently wasn't thorough enough when moving bodies in the Clockwork Mansion, and presumably someone slid into the water or was crushed by something in there while I looted it to the bedrock.

Also, combat non-lethal takedowns and drop takedowns save my hide. I am not good at the combat, so being able to just run around like an idiot and then slide and introduce someone's head to the pavement when I get spotted is really useful to me.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
If y'all want your achievements so bad just cheat them in already rather than requiring games to let you get them using in-engine cheats goddamn.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
people who are not really good at the video games want to feel like they earned it same as anyone else

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

If y'all want your achievements so bad just cheat them in already rather than requiring games to let you get them using in-engine cheats goddamn.

In Binding of Isaac the achievement system is how you unlock new items, bosses, characters, etc. and the mods that most people want to use are ones that add basic quality of life functionality like in-game item descriptions.

Also, if achievements really don't matter then why do you care?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Somfin posted:

Using mods in some games also disables achivements, like New Vegas. Hilariously XCOM2 has in-game console cheats that don't disable achievements, but using the special soldiers most of which are homages to previous special soldiers in XCOM 1 or the dev team will disable your achievements. So you can beat the whole game using invincibility, but having a goofy soldier is against the rules.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I will never understand why people chase achievements. Just play the loving game for as long as you think it is fun!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Inzombiac posted:

I will never understand why people chase achievements. Just play the loving game for as long as you think it is fun!

Some people think it's fun to collect achievements. I know there have been times I've looked at the cheevo list for a game and thought 'that activity sounds interesting, let's see if I can get the cheevo for it'.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

Some people think it's fun to collect achievements. I know there have been times I've looked at the cheevo list for a game and thought 'that activity sounds interesting, let's see if I can get the cheevo for it'.

which they can be neat to get, especially the one's with clever little names or interesting requirements. I guess I'm just not the completionist type to want to start over a run on Dark Souls or whatever game so I can get an achievement for flinging myself off a cliff 100 times. Then immediately start again to get the mutually exclusive achievement for beating the game without ever falling off a cliff. Seems more like work than fun, but different strokes I suppose.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

FredMSloniker posted:

To compound on this, I go for achievements in sandbox games specifically because most of the time they'll lead me to new and interesting places and things that I might otherwise miss. Yes, I'll go collect all the rat assholes scattered around the map, because I want to explore the whole thing and this should allow me to do so. In extremely linear games, I don't care nearly as much, unless getting the achievement also nets me something interesting as a reward.

EDIT:

Kaincypher posted:

which they can be neat to get, especially the one's with clever little names or interesting requirements. I guess I'm just not the completionist type to want to start over a run on Dark Souls or whatever game so I can get an achievement for flinging myself off a cliff 100 times. Then immediately start again to get the mutually exclusive achievement for beating the game without ever falling off a cliff. Seems more like work than fun, but different strokes I suppose.

I'll also completely agree here. Some devs put achievements like that into games with the thinking that they'll force a replay for completionist spergs. In my case, I'll pick whichever of the two sounds more fun/easier and gently caress the other one, I ain't playing again just to get a single achievement

neogeo0823 has a new favorite as of 03:15 on Jan 19, 2017

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Inzombiac posted:

Impossible

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaincypher posted:

Well it's something to do to squeeze more fun out of a game if you can't afford to buy some more atm. It's either that or be the guy who plays Vexx in 2016.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
IIRC technically all but one of Half-Life 2's achievements can be retrieved on a single playthrough, and the one that can't is within the first 5-10 minutes of the game.

(That doesn't help you if one of them glitches and won't unlock, though. :doom: )

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nth Doctor posted:

In Pokemon Sun and Moon they introduced a minor visual thing:

Enemy trainers now use Pokeballs aside from vanilla Pokeballs, such as this collector brandishing Premier Balls. As someone who typically only uses plain balls or premier balls for legendaries, this is something I love.
Also, aside from it being in his sprite, when he sends out his pokemon, you'll see the Premier Ball there, too.

Trainers also use balls that would be relatively appropriate for the given pokemon's difficulty to catch or type. So great or ultra balls for stronger, rarer Pokémon and things like fishermen using net balls.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Achievements might be my favourite little thing in Europa Universalis IV because they give a clear goal beyond painting the map your favourite colour.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Thin Privilege posted:

The best FF music is made by Nobuo Uematsu. He is god. And Black Mages rock. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit but I put on Mages/ff8/ff7 soundtracks from time to time.

Some goon made this in '07 and I still laugh.

Holy crap, I made that. I had totally forgotten about that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inzombiac posted:

I don't care about achievements until I don't get one when I should. So like, if it gets disabled and I don't notice, or steam fucks up and I don't get awarded for hitting the start button or whatever that sucks. But if there's an achievement for beating the game without ever getting hit or something, I won't care that I won't get it.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Using mods in some games also disables achivements, like New Vegas. Hilariously XCOM2 has in-game console cheats that don't disable achievements, but using the special soldiers most of which are homages to previous special soldiers in XCOM 1 or the dev team will disable your achievements. So you can beat the whole game using invincibility, but having a goofy soldier is against the rules.

It's for opening (not using) the console in New Vegas, actually, and it locks you out of achievements for the rest of the play session. You can mod an infinite death gun and thirty thousand health and get everything no problem, but noclip yourself out of a rock or dungeon you've cleared or just fatfinger the tilde key instead of hitting 1 and you have to re-enter the game if you want your cheevos.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Achievements might be my favourite little thing in Europa Universalis IV because they give a clear goal beyond painting the map your favourite colour.

Probably the best use of achievements in any game.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Well it's something to do to squeeze more fun out of a game if you can't afford to buy some more atm. It's either that or be the guy who plays Vexx in 2016.

yeah, that's why my friend is still playing World of Warcraft, literally 13 years later. It's literally impossible (I'm reasonably sure) to get ALL the achievements. And if someone does, I'm sure they'll just make more. Credit where credit's due, it does stretch out the playtime on even the oldest and largest games.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Achievements are fun for those games that you don't want to quit until you do absolutely everything. So sure, I'll dive bomb under all the bridges cause it sounds fun.

Plus, it's nice when developers do fun things with them. Like in Portal 2, when you get to the part after she reawakens where Wheatley attempts to kill you. Where Glados points out that 'This is the part where he kills us', only for Wheatley to respond that 'This is where the part where I kill you', just as the music track "The Part Where He Kills You". A.K.A. The Chapter titled 'The Part Where He Kills You'. You get an achievement named 'The Part Where He Kills You'.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaincypher posted:

yeah, that's why my friend is still playing World of Warcraft, literally 13 years later. It's literally impossible (I'm reasonably sure) to get ALL the achievements. And if someone does, I'm sure they'll just make more. Credit where credit's due, it does stretch out the playtime on even the oldest and largest games.

The better WoW achievements also tend to get you things like mounts and vanity titles.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The better WoW achievements also tend to get you things like mounts and vanity titles.

I do like titles and vanity items in online games but hunting achievements in single player games for some sense of prestige is weird to me.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I do like titles and vanity items in online games but hunting achievements in single player games for some sense of prestige is weird to me.

Well you've kind of identified it. Grinding it for prestige is weird. Getting obsessed about it is weird. But just doing it because that's how you enjoy measuring progress or spending times in games is fine.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

let's definitely worry a lot about what is and isn't weird game-playing behavior

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
PYF opinions about opinions about opinions about games. Let's keep the chain going.

I got The Division recently and thought it was very cool that snow visibly accumulates on your character's gear when outside, at a rate that seems to depend on how heavily it's snowing.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The best achievement is Little Rocket Man in Half Life 2 : Episode 2.

For those who are unaware, you have to carry a garden gnome (Gnome Chompski) through the entire game and place him in a rocket near the end.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I'll again state my love of the chieves for the original Mass Effect, where if you used X power Y times you could now use it on any class in subsequent playthroughs, so the dumb muscle class could use the most wizardly bullshit possible if you liked using the power enough before. Other things gave bonuses to various things if you got them, like raising the levelcap, or permanently increasing your earned exp on that player account.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Cloks posted:

The best achievement is Little Rocket Man in Half Life 2 : Episode 2.

For those who are unaware, you have to carry a garden gnome (Gnome Chompski) through the entire game and place him in a rocket near the end.

one of the cruelest things about this achievement is if you didn't close the hatch gate on the rocket you wouldn't get the achievement. All that work hoping the gnome doesn't disappear randomly or get knocked out of bounds by that loving helicopter cart section was for nothing :devil:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Nah, the best cheevo is when the game's antagonist talks you into committing suicide in Portal 2. That and basically any of the Stanley Parable ones

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sentient Data posted:

Nah, the best cheevo is when the game's antagonist talks you into committing suicide in Portal 2. That and basically any of the Stanley Parable ones

I don't remember committing suicide in Portal 2.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Achievements are fun for those games that you don't want to quit until you do absolutely everything. So sure, I'll dive bomb under all the bridges cause it sounds fun.

Plus, it's nice when developers do fun things with them. Like in Portal 2, when you get to the part after she reawakens where Wheatley attempts to kill you. Where Glados points out that 'This is the part where he kills us', only for Wheatley to respond that 'This is where the part where I kill you', just as the music track "The Part Where He Kills You". A.K.A. The Chapter titled 'The Part Where He Kills You'. You get an achievement named 'The Part Where He Kills You'.

Achievement description: This is that part.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

SEKCobra posted:

I don't remember committing suicide in Portal 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPuE34-6pCE

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"This is the part where I kill you"

*chapter title pops up*
The part where he kills you

*achievement popup*
This is the part

I doubled down laughing. It was the singulat best gag in the game.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 10:34 on Jan 19, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Oh yeah. Man, that game was great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
In Gravity Rush 2 you fight human soldiers as well as Nevi.

Soldiers that can be picked up with Stasis Field and flung like any other object :unsmigghh:. You'd think they'd lose interest in fighting Kat after seeing several of their comrades thrown off the edge into the abyss. Or at their giant walker mechs. Or just at more of their comrades.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SEKCobra posted:

Oh yeah. Man, that game was great.

There are also a couple of places where someone will make a suggestion that will very obviously lead to your death, there are achievements for those too.

My favorite tidbit in Portal 2 is in the final sequence, though- for most of the game the portal gun is hitscan because the target is only a few hundred yards off at most anyway, but when you fire it at the moon there's a brief delay before you see the new portal open, representing the 1 second or so it takes light to get there.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
overwatch

I really love all the destructible objects in the maps. each object has little details when they get hit. the piñatas spew out candy, the guitars have a string twang, the arcade machines and digital keypads flicker before they shut down, the vending machines all drop their contents and the railings on balconies will drop off.