Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Mei...

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/821900007649329153

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

HEN HAO!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I put a cock rooster in this one

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

D.Va gets a hanbok skin too!

That panelled window on the MEKA is fresh.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

D.Va gets a hanbok skin too!

That panelled window on the MEKA is fresh.
well I guess I know what I'm saving up for

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I don't think I'll ever get any better at this game. I think I'm gonna give up playing it if it turns out the only balance changes for the foreseeable future are "we kind of nerfed Roadhog and D.Va, a bit".

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Where are those skins up at?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm spending all of my funny money on chinese new year skins, holy poo poo those are insane.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Bleck posted:

I don't think I'll ever get any better at this game. I think I'm gonna give up playing it if it turns out the only balance changes for the foreseeable future are "we kind of nerfed Roadhog and D.Va, a bit".

How does them slightly nerfing d.va and hog have any impact on personal performance? Not to mention that those two 'slight' changes, along with the ana grenade nerf, could spell for a far more diversified meta game.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

RC Cola posted:

Where are those skins up at?

Just on twitter right now. The official US Overwatch account posted the Mei one, the Korean account posted D.Va. Event starts next Tuesday.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

berenzen posted:

How does them slightly nerfing d.va and hog have any impact on personal performance? Not to mention that those two 'slight' changes, along with the ana grenade nerf, could spell for a far more diversified meta game.

What I meant was, if the meta doesn't shake up a whole lot, and if characters that really need changes continue to go without them, I'll rapidly lose my already swindling interest in playing, at least in competitve.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bleck posted:

What I meant was, if the meta doesn't shake up a whole lot, and if characters that really need changes continue to go without them, I'll rapidly lose my already swindling interest in playing, at least in competitve.
Which characters needed changing then?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that d.va skin is great and I look forward to never getting it

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

Which characters needed changing then?

As of right now;

Characters that I think need nerfs - D.Va, Reinhardt, Roadhog, Zarya

Characters that I think need buffs - Zenyatta

Characters that I think need Symmetra-style soft reworks - Everyone else

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Bleck posted:

How do you want to buff zen. If you increase his damage boost, widows start 1-shotting 200 hp heroes (as it is, she does 195 damage body shots with damage boost). If you increase his healing, he becomes monsterously strong, because he can poo poo out damage and heal a good chunk as well.

Like, he's probably 3rd best healer, and that's only by a slim margin. He's such a strong hero.

Hog, honestly doesn't need much past his hook nerf. He's a big ol' zoning tool that also feeds a bunch of ults, losing the ability to full heal off of an ana grenade is massive, and not getting bullshit hooks will make it far easier to play against him.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 19, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Zarya has gotten literally nothing but nerfs since the beta when her bubbles lasted for four seconds instead of two and she gained up to 50 charge per bubble, plus could take advantage of unintended interactions to double-dip on certain attacks like Rein's firestrike. I would honestly say she's probably one of the more balanced heroes in that it's hard to find any part of her kit that's so egregiously overpowered that it explains why she's good, it's the sum of the parts. Like, she's more skill intensive than Reinhardt, you have to be on the ball with your situational awareness to maximize your short-lived, medium-cooldown barriers, you have to have good tracking to get the most out of her M1, and her ult is slow charging and really easy to waste for all that it's a game changer.

Also Zenyatta is really fuckin good. He used to suck but now he most assuredly does not, and in fact he was even OP for a while when orb of discord did 50% damage buffing instead of 30%.

If you're holding out for 17 characters to get Symmetra-style reworks then you're probably going to be waiting a long, long time and maybe Overwatch isn't for you, idk.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

most heroes are in a great spot right now imo but a few warp the game around them

ana specifically

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Manatee Cannon posted:

most heroes are in a great spot right now imo but a few warp the game around them

ana specifically

Ana could use one less shot in her clip

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

berenzen posted:

How do you want to buff zen. If you increase his damage boost, widows start 1-shotting 200 hp heroes (as it is, she does 195 damage body shots with damage boost). If you increase his healing, he becomes monsterously strong, because he can poo poo out damage and heal a good chunk as well.

Like, he's probably 3rd best healer, and that's only by a slim margin. He's such a strong hero.

Hog, honestly doesn't need much past his hook nerf. He's a big ol' zoning tool that also feeds a bunch of ults, losing the ability to full heal off of an ana grenade is massive, and not getting bullshit hooks will make it far easier to play against him.

Yeah Zenyatta was basically on every high-caliber team early on, his discord orb didn't time out, it marked the discorded enemy in the HUD for the whole team, it added a stupid large debuff, about the only thing mitigating all that was that he had insanely low HP so he would die to like a single full-charged bodyshot from widow. Naturally, someone could spot the widow, discord her, and then let the team take her out.

He was more broke than a jainist monk and it was absolute nirvana.

Then they nerfed the poo poo out of him and now he's just crazy strong only in the right hands.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah Zenyatta was basically on every high-caliber team early on, his discord orb didn't time out, it marked the discorded enemy in the HUD for the whole team, it added a stupid large debuff, about the only thing mitigating all that was that he had insanely low HP so he would die to like a single full-charged bodyshot from widow. Naturally, someone could spot the widow, discord her, and then let the team take her out.

Then they nerfed the poo poo out of him and now he's just crazy strong only in the right hands.

that's not really how it went

nobody at all ever used zen period when the game was first released, even with his 50% debuff discord. when he got buffed to have 200 health several months post release is when people started using him since he could take care of himself long enough for the insane damage boost from discord to actually matter; this is also why they nerfed discord, because it was bullshit. all they did tho was drop it to 30% from 50% extra damage. he's still insanely good. the problem isn't that zen is bad, or that you need to be incredibly good at him to make him work. the problem is that ana is the best hero in the game by a huge margin and you need a lucio for the speedboost, leaving no room for zen a lot of the time

people look back fondly on the dive comp stuff because they don't remember it that well. it was as stale or worse than what ana's done with this tank poo poo, where every team ran the same thing every time. pro players called it the cancer comp or something

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

ana specifically

Reinhardt to an extent as well. He'd probably be less overbearing if earthshatter was more reliably avoided besides having another Reinhardt to block it

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

RC Cola posted:

Ana could use one less shot in her clip

If I were testing more tweaks to Ana beyond her grenade I'd consider letting her keep the extra two bullets they gave her but reducing her firing speed back to what it once was rather than the other way around. I feel like firing speed is probably more impactful a change than magazine size in her case.

FAUXTON posted:

Ssssssssorta? Zen was broken good in the beta because his orbs persisted indefinitely regardless of LoS so you would toss one onto a Genji or Tracer who also had permanent +50 shields from Symmetra Then when the game went live they removed that and gave the orbs LoS dependency and he was broken bad because of the aforementioned 150 hitpoints and a lot of his kit was worse than it is now...his orbs had travel time which meant someone could die while a healing orb was on its way to them, his ult was all around worse, and he was generally a liability. Discord on its own wasn't enough to make up for his shortcomings, he just got smeared too easily by pretty much everyone. Then he got a rebalance pass that gave him a number of buffs and quality-of-life improvements including a better ult, faster orbs, and suddenly Zen was so good that he warped the meta around him the way Ana is warping it around her now. Then discord got knocked back to 30% and then he became merely "really fuckin good," and if it wasn't for Ana being the top-tier support choice right now he'd still probably be in common use across all levels of play.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's not really how it went

nobody at all ever used zen period when the game was first released, even with his 50% debuff discord. when he got buffed to have 200 health several months post release is when people started using him since he could take care of himself long enough for the insane damage boost from discord to actually matter; this is also why they nerfed discord, because it was bullshit. all they did tho was drop it to 30% from 50% extra damage. he's still insanely good. the problem isn't that zen is bad, or that you need to be incredibly good at him to make him work. the problem is that ana is the best hero in the game by a huge margin and you need a lucio for the speedboost, leaving no room for zen a lot of the time

people look back fondly on the dive comp stuff because they don't remember it that well. it was as stale or worse than what ana's done with this tank poo poo, where every team ran the same thing every time. pro players called it the cancer comp or something

poo poo for some reason I was thinking he had something stupid like 75 HP at some point in the closed beta but people still slampicked him because discord was ridiculous.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he had 150 health in beta but his orbs were permanent iirc (widow could still bodyshot him in one hit tho; they nerfed that post release), so he could throw a harmony on genji and then just sit in the back in complete safety

discord meant you just took 50% more damage until you or the zen died

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, people tried using Zen after the game launched but he was just all around too poor to capitalize on discord's huge effect. It wasn't just Widowmaker that shat on him, Winston could murder him, Genji and Tracer ate him alive, etc. Those 50 hitpoints make a lot of difference. And also his ult was worse all around, it didn't used to make him move faster while it was active and it actually gave less healing which meant that certain ults could simply damage race it and win...I can't remember 100% but I want to say that Pharah could actually kill people with her rocket barrage even when Zen had his ult active over them.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

berenzen posted:

I agree - the only things I'd buff about him is either reducing his hitbox (more than any other character, I feel like I get hit with things that I shouldn't have as Zen) or increase his movement speed ever so slightly. I also would personally love if they increased the projectile speed of his attack orbs, but that might just be because I'm pretty bad at leading the shots (people are quick to say "shoot where they're going to be", but I think that's a lot more difficult than it sounds considering how mobile and twitchy everyone is). I also think it'd be pretty great if you changed Ana's grenade so it didn't completely shut down his ult.

This might all just be my perception since I'm p bad, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
My favorite moment in the saga of Zenyatta was when they increased his healing orb from 25 HPS to 30 and thought that might make him good.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bleck posted:

As of right now;

Characters that I think need nerfs - D.Va, Reinhardt, Roadhog, Zarya

Characters that I think need Symmetra-style soft reworks - Everyone else
There are 18 characters you think need total overhauls like Symmetra? :psyduck:

Edit: Zenyatta is in a great place right now, the only reason he isn't picked more is because Ana and Lucio are currently Mandatory.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

There are 18 characters you think need total overhauls like Symmetra? :psyduck:

I'm a crazy person, with crazy ideas!

That being said, I forgot to put this between buffs and reworks;

Characters I think are fine - Soldier, Reaper, Tracer, Mei, Winston, Lucio, Mercy, Symmetra

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Not only are the prevailing Zen observations totally correct, but to compound matters at release there was no one hero limit, so not only was a 150 floaty Zen getting dived all the time, but he was getting rolled over by two Winstons with a pocket Mercy.

The tanks don't need nerfs, Ana needs to get brought into line, that's all. The only reason Winston isn't on your list is because when he's played correctly he's moving around too fast and chaotically to make use of Ana's grenade healing output which is actually the thing that's dunking on you when you get dunked on by tanks, most of the time.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is there any penalty for just leaving in a comp game if you don't like the map? I feel like doing that whenever Eichenwalde comes up but it sounds like something they'd penalize you for even though that one is trash.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Justin_Brett posted:

Is there any penalty for just leaving in a comp game if you don't like the map? I feel like doing that whenever Eichenwalde comes up but it sounds like something they'd penalize you for even though that one is trash.

As soon as you queue into comp you either take what it gives you or you take the penalty. I hate Eichenwalde too but if I decide I want to play for rank and get a map I hate, welp, them's the breaks.

Bleck posted:

I'm a crazy person, with crazy ideas!

That being said, I forgot to put this between buffs and reworks;

Characters I think are fine - Soldier, Reaper, Tracer, Mei, Winston, Lucio, Mercy, Symmetra

The only one on this shortlist I'd disagree with is Mercy, who became irrelevant as soon as they cranked back her ult charge rate and made Zenyatta good. Even if they nerfed Ana into a hole in the ground it wouldn't make Mercy more attractive because people have finally had a taste of what it's like to have two supports that do more besides hide behind a corner with a healbeam and Mercy simply lacks a lot of the useful utility abilities and/or damage dealing potential that the other healing supports have. If anything she's the one in need of a Symmetra-style rework where they give her something to make her appealing beyond tweaking her numbers. At lower levels of play I guess anybody playing support is a godsend and it's not like you can't ever win as Mercy but she's definitely a character whose power and usefulness drops off sharply the higher you climb which makes getting good with her feel unrewarding.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

The tanks don't need nerfs, Ana needs to get brought into line, that's all.

People keep saying this, but I'm not entirely convinced that the tanks having the highest health pools, arguably the highest reliable damage output and most effective ult abilities in the game is solely because Ana's grenade exists.

Kai Tave posted:

The only one on this shortlist I'd disagree with is Mercy, who became irrelevant as soon as they cranked back her ult charge rate and made Zenyatta good. Even if they nerfed Ana into a hole in the ground it wouldn't make Mercy more attractive because people have finally had a taste of what it's like to have two supports that do more besides hide behind a corner with a healbeam and Mercy simply lacks a lot of the useful utility abilities and/or damage dealing potential that the other healing supports have. If anything she's the one in need of a Symmetra-style rework where they give her something to make her appealing beyond tweaking her numbers. At lower levels of play I guess anybody playing support is a godsend and it's not like you can't ever win as Mercy but she's definitely a character whose power and usefulness drops off sharply the higher you climb which makes getting good with her feel unrewarding.

I'd be in favor of making Mercy have more active mechanics, but not as long as she has Revive.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bleck posted:

People keep saying this, but I'm not entirely convinced that the tanks having the highest health pools, arguably the highest reliable damage output and most effective ult abilities in the game is solely because Ana's grenade exists.

Before Ana was introduced to the game people weren't regularly running 3-4 tank lineups. Like you can go back and look at the game pre-Ana and post-Ana, there's one standout factor that differentiates the two and it's the addition of a new character with really, really powerful healing abilities capable of sustaining 3-4 high hitpoint heroes better than anyone was able to previously. Prior to Ana's incredibly efficient and effective healing if someone tried a tank-heavy comp like that all that would happen is the other team would switch to picking them off at range and be able to because not even a dedicated Mercy would be able to keep up with all the long-range firepower.

quote:

I'd be in favor of making Mercy have more active mechanics, but not as long as she has Revive.

Rez isn't even that good. The number of incredibly lovely rezzes I've been through where someone thought that bringing three people back to life in the middle of a losing battle just so we could get wiped all over again make me wish for a way to check a box marked "I'll just respawn normally, thanks." Mercy was at her height of usefulness when she could be guaranteed to have a rez each and every single fight and also when she was basically the only other viable support choice besides Lucio. There's a reason that even with her having rez, the higher up the skill ladder you go the fewer Mercy picks you find.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Bleck posted:

Letting her fire the pistol at the same time that she's healing would propel her into usability again, I think. I'd be curious to see what that was like in action, at least.

^^^and yeah, rez is pretty terrible most of the time.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Mercy with a second ult and second attack skill thats a cleanse or something would be nice.

The bigger issue almost seems to be if the healers are already invalidating each other in scenarios already, unless the next one like melee range heals and is speedy and teleporty or something, whatever the next one is, it won't be all that different.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Ersatz posted:

Letting her fire the pistol at the same time that she's healing would propel her into usability again, I think.
Letting her heal one player while boosting another would propel her into usability.
She'd be like Zen, except she would heal more at the cost of requiring both players to be in the same area and she couldn't deal damage herself.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Just did placement matches for the first time and I guess I'm ranked gold even though I think I'm worse.

I'm not sure I'm enjoying competitive all that much. I don't like high-pressure "I need to maintain my ranking" matches but I do want my team to actually try to win unlike in quickplay.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i mean it's only 5% away from 50% which is what average means :shrug:

in other news i can't wait to be chat banned for playing junkrat

The new report system stopped the false positives. I was chat banned multiple times in season 2 for liking Symmetra. The support team promised the new system would be better, and it seems to have worked. I haven't been chat banned at all in season 3 despite having 70 hours on Sombra.

It is possible their reports are canceled if you report them back. It's hard to tell, I just thought I should mention it since I'm in the habit of blocking/reporting people that poo poo up chat about their precious meta.

Edit. I just skimmed through the linked article. That guy is probably too aggro in chat. It's one thing playing against meta, another to be a smug brat about it.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I really wish Winston was the go to tank because he is fun as gently caress to play, Reinhardt has cool skills too (Charge is dope) but he really promotes sitting there and being a huge wall of meat :(